hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2019

Wimbledon 2019

Entertaining match on right now between Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios.

Nadal won the first set 6-3 but Kyrgios has responded well and is currently 3-1 up in the second set.

Things are never dull with Kyrgios and so far we've had a 143 mph second serve, an underarm serve and some brilliant shot making. The guy is extremely talented but unfortunately it wouldn't be Kyrgios if we didn't get some of the other stuff as well. We've also had expletive filled rants and numerous exchanges with Nadal and complaints to the umpire.

Kyrgios has the talent to go far in the game but his attitude lets him down so often and will continue to be his downfall unless he sorts that out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Entertaining match on right now between Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios.

Nadal won the first set 6-3 but Kyrgios has responded well and is currently 3-1 up in the second set.

Things are never dull with Kyrgios and so far we've had a 143 mph second serve, an underarm serve and some brilliant shot making. The guy is extremely talented but unfortunately it wouldn't be Kyrgios if we didn't get some of the other stuff as well. We've also had expletive filled rants and numerous exchanges with Nadal and complaints to the umpire.

Kyrgios has the talent to go far in the game but his attitude lets him down so often and will continue to be his downfall unless he sorts that out.
    Great watch, 100% behind Kyrgios regarding Nadal's length of time to serve.
    Mon the bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Great watch, 100% behind Kyrgios regarding Nadal's length of time to serve.
    Mon the bad boy.
    He has a point, just like he had a point when complaining about losing the point when he failed to return a Nadal serve that was initially called out but was actually in (the point should have been replayed).

He goes about it in totally the wrong way though.

However there's no denying that he's box office.

Andy Murray's just starting his men's doubles match on Court One.

Left by mutual consent!
    He has a point, just like he had a point when complaining about losing the point when he failed to return a Nadal serve that was initially called out but was actually in (the point should have been replayed).

He goes about it in totally the wrong way though.

However there's no denying that he's box office.

Andy Murray's just starting his men's doubles match on Court One.
    I didn't mind the guy until I watched his interview a wee while ago. Didn't come over well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I didn't mind the guy until I watched his interview a wee while ago. Didn't come over well.
    He does actually seem to acknowledge his shortcomings, he admits he doesn't train enough and isn't as professional as guys like Nadal. He was seen in a Wimbledon pub at 11pm last night for example.

The guy is a real talent, some of the shots he pulls off are ridiculous but he lacks a winning attitude.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    He might have talents, but I really can't stand him. Aiming a ball at a fellow professional isn't on IMO.

The umpire should have dealt with him with a little more authority - he did have a point in some of his ire, but you can't behave like that. Not at the top level of the game.

Federer looked comfortable earlier (second set aside), Nadal pulled off some imperious shots again...Djokovic on court again tomorrow. It's all getting a bit tasty

Saturday's game between Nadal and Tsonga could be a great match, and a real chance for Dan Evans to progress against Joao Sousa.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Djokovic not allowed to wear his cap today as it breaches the all white rule as it has a black lining!

He complained to the umpire as he has already wore it previously but to no avail.

Coco Gauff what a story ! Brilliant to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Coco Gauff what a story ! Brilliant to watch.
    Hercog should have nailed it but her forehand and nerves let her down. Great excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    He might have talents, but I really can't stand him. Aiming a ball at a fellow professional isn't on IMO.

The umpire should have dealt with him with a little more authority - he did have a point in some of his ire, but you can't behave like that. Not at the top level of the game.

Federer looked comfortable earlier (second set aside), Nadal pulled off some imperious shots again...Djokovic on court again tomorrow. It's all getting a bit tasty

Saturday's game between Nadal and Tsonga could be a great match, and a real chance for Dan Evans to progress against Joao Sousa.
    Aiming the ball at your opponent is entirely within the rules of tennis. Whether it's within the spirit of the game or not is questionable but there's nothing the umpire could have done about that.

The way he behaved at the sit downs was what bothered me the most. I felt the umpire should either have ignored him altogether or been more authoritative. Engaging Kyrgios in conversation only made things worse.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Hercog should have nailed it but her forehand and nerves let her down. Great excitement!
    Totally. The wee lassie's done well but the combination of Hercog having sore legs, a misfiring first serve and forehand and nerves allowed the youngster to win. A large wager on her next opponent I feel*

*Edit* just seen it's Halep...price will be prohibitive so won't bother
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 06-07-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Totally. The wee lassie's done well but the combination of Hercog having sore legs, a misfiring first serve and forehand and nerves allowed the youngster to win. A large wager on her next opponent I feel*

I think Halep will win fairly easily but what a story that is.

15 years old and into the last 16 at Wimbledon is incredible.

Andy Murray knocked out of the men's doubles in four sets.

Playing in the mixed doubles later on.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Outplayed by a very good doubles pairing. Good match to watch. Will be interested to see how he gets on with Serena Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Outplayed by a very good doubles pairing. Good match to watch. Will be interested to see how he gets on with Serena Williams.
    Easy victory tonight for them in the mixed doubles.

Dan Evans has just lost in 5 sets to Joao Sousa despite having chances in every set. He will be gutted.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Well that was fantastic viewing. Evans gave it everything but it still wasn't quite good enough. Both players fitness was unbelievable. In fact tennis players as athletes must be fitter than anyone apart from maybe athletes themselves!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Aiming the ball at your opponent is entirely within the rules of tennis. Whether it's within the spirit of the game or not is questionable but there's nothing the umpire could have done about that.

The way he behaved at the sit downs was what bothered me the most. I felt the umpire should either have ignored him altogether or been more authoritative. Engaging Kyrgios in conversation only made things worse.
    That was the basis of my critique of the umpire, but I appreciate the ambiguity in my post

Halep's a bit of a choker. I reckon Coco will win!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Halep's a bit of a choker. I reckon Coco will win!
    Sadly Halep took coco back to school.

Wimbledon without Andy Murray tearing it up in the singles competition isn’t very good eh? Don’t even bother watching it

Jo Konta going well. Expect her to win tomorrow and set up semi final v Serena. Winner of this match will be champion imo. Really hope Konta can do it

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Jo Konta going well. Expect her to win tomorrow and set up semi final v Serena. Winner of this match will be champion imo. Really hope Konta can do it
    Konta hammered today in the second set after a tight opener to go out in straight sets.

Really disappointing result.

Konta hammered today in the second set after a tight opener to go out in straight sets.

That must have been the worst she has played all season. Her usually excellent serve deserted her and ridiculous amount of unforced errors. She must be gutted as she should have had a great chance to win Wimbledon.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    That must have been the worst she has played all season. Her usually excellent serve deserted her and ridiculous amount of unforced errors. She must be gutted as she should have had a great chance to win Wimbledon.
    Dont think she ever will unfortunately. A little under world class and lacking the bottle required by the greats.

That’ll be her an Aussie again then?

The Czech girl was very quick about the court. Genuine type too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Been good to see Andy Murray building up his fitness in the doubles events at Wimbledon and it was brilliant to see him winning the Queens doubles title a couple of weeks back. If he feels the strain on his hip will be too much for a return to singles then he could certainly shine on the doubles court for the final few years of his career. His mum has always said she thought he and Jamie would team up at some stage which would be great. Their Davis Cup matches together were always great to watch and they'd be a hugely popular pairing.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I'd like to see Strycova give Serena a match here, but I fear she will be blown away by the power.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I'd like to see Strycova give Serena a match here, but I fear she will be blown away by the power.
    Shame; she picked up an injury and it became a rout. Incredible tennis by Serena, when you think of her lack of preparation for Wimbledon.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Strongly fancy Rafa to win today, should be some match - both have been brilliant so far.