hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oli Shaw

@hibs.net private member
    Shaw has scored 2 more goals than Doidge this season for a team who up until today were bottom of the league and been on the pitch just over half teh amount of minutes that Doidge has. Doidge has 3 more assists to be fair.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Should still be at Hibs

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the best young strikers in Europe
    I'll have some of what your drinking. Thats why he left Hibs for County.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Should still be at Hibs
    Had his chance and wasn’t good enough.

He wouldn’t be playing now.

Best thing all round that he is now playing a bit more. If he can keep scoring over a prolonged period then maybe he gets a better move again but he’s a way off that just now. Doesn’t do much else in games so he certainly wouldn’t be replacing any of our current strikers.

Should still be at Hibs
    Rubbish.

Should still be at Hibs
    He shouldn't

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Should still be at Hibs
    That will hook in a few on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Had his chance and wasn’t good enough.

He wouldn’t be playing now.

Best thing all round that he is now playing a bit more. If he can keep scoring over a prolonged period then maybe he gets a better move again but he’s a way off that just now. Doesn’t do much else in games so he certainly wouldn’t be replacing any of our current strikers.
    I think that's fair.

A few were talking him down and talking Ross County down. The fact is he is scoring goals against the same opponents our strikers have to.

If scoring goals is all he does then Yogi used that to good effect today.

He's better than some on here were saying. That is all.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I think that's fair.

A few were talking him down and talking Ross County down. The fact is he is scoring goals against the same opponents our strikers have to.

If scoring goals is all he does then Yogi used that to good effect today.

He's better than some on here were saying. That is all.
    Was there not some talk of a buy back clause or something? I don't know how true that is, but maybe Hibs thought he had potential but let him move for a regular start.

Scored more in 1 minute v Aberdeen than we've managed in 180 minutes.

Couple of really good finishes in the past month or so for Oli Shaw.

I think the main thing for us to remember is that we do have good players in the squad and have done in the past that have done well for other teams.

People like Shaw, Bartley, Mallan etc (can’t think of more right now off the top of my head) get criticised and told they’re not good enough and need moved on.

But for me it’s the consistency of starting every game and feeling at home in the team which makes them lack confidence to go out and perform the best they can.

People underestimate how hard it is to come into a team and start with expectations to play well when you’ve don’t had regular game time.

Should still be at Hibs
    His fee gave us a chunk of the money to sign nisbet. I know who I'd rather have and it isn't Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    His fee gave us a chunk of the money to sign nisbet. I know who I'd rather have and it isn't Shaw.
    I think his fee was more likely spent on the January loan signings. I seriously doubt we needed to sell Shaw to afford nisbet. We really should have kept him. 2 first choice strikers, 2 backups in him and gullan to offer something different

I like Oli and hope he does well, a starting place up front for a top 4 team has pressure and managers obviously didn't trust him enough to give a run in the team to see if he actually had the qualities required.
    Playing every week for Ross County might accelerate his development, I think he does have enough about him to be an SPL regular goalscorer. The advantage of moving to a club for a fee is that the manager usually gives you a proper run in the team and this can allow them to find their feet, I think Kevin Nisbet benefitted from this, rightly so and different situation but Oli benefitting now from Yogi playing him regularly I would think.
    Would be delighted if he came back to Hibs if there is a buy back clause and made a success of it

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Don’t we have a sell on clause too?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A player who probably needed to move on to give his career a kick forward. Just kind of stalled a bit at Hibs for him and the move does seem to have worked well.

@hibs.net private member
    It's a tricky one when you have a talented young player but he's not quite ready to be a first pick. You can keep him on the bench for so long but it's not conducive to the development of a player to keep him there indefinitely. Also if you have a good development system then there are other players who maybe deserve a chance as well.
    Shaw was a good bit away from being a first pick at Hibs when he left and he still would be on the bench most weeks if he was here now I think - but he's clearly improving by getting games for County. And Hibs cannot afford to keep an infinite number of players on the books - so all round it was a good move for all parties I think. Who knows? Maybe we might see Shaw back in a Hibs strip yet some day? If not he's still well on his way to having a good career and good luck to him.

Can see Shaw at either A’deen or worse, Hearts, and hurting us down the line.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shaw has talent but doesn’t have the character. Far too easily bullied and would often spend afternoons in the back pocket of centre backs and made little or no effort to get out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Always good seeing Derek McInnes and his team take a spanking from any team. But Ross County? Lol

You gotta laugh!

His team built of giants have been found out.... Much like a team in maroon once were

Listen to McInnes squirm.....

BBC News - Aberdeen performance 'Not good enough' - Derek McInnes
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55691526
    Last edited by EI255; 16-01-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    And on the flip side, a quite brilliant Yogi post match interview...

BBC News - 'Performance had everything' - Ross County manager John Hughes
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55691524

Well done Yogi

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Ach, wee Shaw was in and around the first team for 2-3 years and whilst he scored a few he never really looked like being a regular starter. Didn’t really make the bridge from being a promising youngster to a first pick, so it’s probs best he moved on.

Or, maybes you’d say he’s not good enough for where we want to be.

Glad it seems to be going well for him at County though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Glad to see it going well for him.

Somebody i felt we would have been better sending out on loan rather than selling. He could be a very frustrating player but always felt he just needed some confidence in himself

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Don’t we have a sell on clause too?
    Buy back. First refusal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Good luck to him but reality is he’s not good enough for a top 4 premiership team.,

Blog Entries
    I can't believe some of the comments on here 're Oli having had his chance & not being good enough. The facts would suggest otherwise. Oli only started 16 league games in 4 seasons in the 1st team squad, starting as a 16 year old. He didn't start a league game after Feb 2019 when he was only 20. His last 5 starts were against the uglies, Aberdeen, Hearts & Livi. Despite that he scored 10 league goals in 2 seasons as a teenager/20 year old. If Oli had never been at Hibs this Board would be suggesting we should be monitoring him as many are suggesting about Ross Stewart. Finally, i see posts comparing Oli unfavourably with Kevin N. Kevin's obviously ahead right now but when Kevin was 20 he was playing, regularly, at a much lower level. 16 league starts in 4 seasons isn't really much of a chance!

I think Yogi has toughened him up. I always thought he was lacking aggression when playing up front. He was far too easily bullied and looked lost sometimes. Good luck to the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I can't believe some of the comments on here 're Oli having had his chance & not being good enough. The facts would suggest otherwise. Oli only started 16 league games in 4 seasons in the 1st team squad, starting as a 16 year old. He didn't start a league game after Feb 2019 when he was only 20. His last 5 starts were against the uglies, Aberdeen, Hearts & Livi. Despite that he scored 10 league goals in 2 seasons as a teenager/20 year old. If Oli had never been at Hibs this Board would be suggesting we should be monitoring him as many are suggesting about Ross Stewart. Finally, i see posts comparing Oli unfavourably with Kevin N. Kevin's obviously ahead right now but when Kevin was 20 he was playing, regularly, at a much lower level. 16 league starts in 4 seasons isn't really much of a chance!
    Agree entirely . Given value of a good striker , not keeping him could be a very costly decision .

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Yeah but you get a game by being good enough.

I watched the Ross Co game today and thought it was the best Oli has played.
    Two very well taken goals, good movement and in the team ahead of Billy McKay.
    He has been at Ross Co a while now and has again struggled to establish himself.
    However, I think Yogi could be his making by boosting his confidence.
    The only fly in the ointment is that Stewart will be fit by next week and there is a chance he could be preferred to Oli.
    Well done Oli and Yogi for today. Very impressive.