hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oli Shaw

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really. He played for Hibs a fair few times and never really looked that good. Difference tonight was he was up against Hanlon/Porteous instead of being on the same side
    Sadly, I fear many SPL teams don't fear playing against those two. Hibs HAVE to sign quality, dominant central defenders who are leaders and will die for the shirt. Could we not look at the Croatian or Balkan market. Gotta be better than what we have (and have had).

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Sadly, I fear many SPL teams don't fear playing against those two. Hibs HAVE to sign quality, dominant central defenders who are leaders and will die for the shirt. Could we not look at the Croatian or Balkan market. Gotta be better than what we have (and have had).

Adam Jackson was a big loss in the summer. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought he was starting to look the part. Also a decent goal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Don't buy it. Seemed up for it enough last night.

Plenty dismissed him even after he left. Talking about how Ross County had wasted a six figure sum before the lad has even had a decent run of games for them. Comments like that are more to do with ignorance on their part than laziness on Olly's.

If Ross County stay up by a point last night's result will stand out as one of their more unlikely - he might just have paid back their investment. I hope so and hope he goes on to be a very good player for them.
    Ross County is his level.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Fear? In what way?

Our defensive record this season is pretty good. We lose less than a goal a game (0.95 goals per game), the only teams who’ve conceded less are Rangers (0.23 per game), Celtc (0.77 per game), and Aberdeen (0.94 per game).

We need to improve what we do with the ball far more than how we defend without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    He was singled out by a section of the crowd and hounded out but he’s not the first and he won’t be the last. A few weeks ago young Doig was starting to get the same treatment on here but at least he doesn’t have to read it. There was no escape for Oli , he had to listen to the abuse.
    Bollox simply didn’t happen

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Adam Jackson was a big loss in the summer. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought he was starting to look the part. Also a decent goal threat.
    He’d have been a sub last night, and for every other game when Hanlon and Porto were fit.

Oli Shaw wasn't good enough for Hibs. Him scoring a tap in against us for the team bottom of the league doesn't change that.

Oli Shaw wasn't good enough for Hibs. Him scoring a tap in against us for the team bottom of the league doesn't change that.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Ross County is his level.
    Like a lot of younger players he needs a consistent run of games to grow and develop, not sure he ever had that in the Premier League? Maybe it's to late now but there is talent there and hope he does well.

Gamer IDs

Yep. He’ll prob not score again for Ross Co til about March. Just like his time here, he’s not a very good player.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

And he still isn't, he won't play for a better team than county.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Yeah, I liked him as a player too.

Not sure I'd say he's better than Porto or Hanlon but he was certainly of a similar level, and would have been good to bring in if the form of either dropped off.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Yep. He’ll prob not score again for Ross Co til about March. Just like his time here, he’s not a very good player.
    He was doing well when Lennon was playing him regular and chipped in with a few decent goals , then he got the cold shoulder from Hecky and Ross didnt fancy him . He was a good finisher and cold be quite clever around the box . He just needs a manager that will give him a chance , looks like he might have found the guy in Yogi . Good luck to him , dont get all the shan comments he gets like the 1 above .

Oli got unfair grief from some Hibs fans. The lad scored goals for us and had runs of games where he was the only lad capable of scoring. Heckingbottom’s refusal to use him cost his development with us imo.

We could really do with a Shaw atm. Head and shoulders above a Gullan for example.

Left by mutual consent!
    I regularly spoke up for him and was sorry to see him go. Agree Heckingbottom didn't help.

The Balkan market - are you serious?

That's one of the reasons why Scotland have struggled so much recently. I think teams like Hibs have a responsibility to play Scottish players.

How many of the hundreds of foreign players that we've signed have been a success?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Agreed, it’s funny some ex Hibs players have one good game and you hear a lot of people wanting them back, it’s the same for Martin Scott, they might look good but overall it’s in a poor team

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    The Balkan market - are you serious?

That's one of the reasons why Scotland have struggled so much recently. I think teams like Hibs have a responsibility to play Scottish players.

How many of the hundreds of foreign players that we've signed have been a success?
    I think I was Balkan when I read that comment

2020 is running out - what next.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Shaw has a very good record of scoring when he gets game time. He has scored 3 in the league and 3 in the cup this year at a rate of a goal every 1.6 games for a struggling team. I suggest if he plays the next two or three games he is likely to score as that is what his career record of a goal every 2.3 games would suggest. For reference Doidge has scored at a rate of a goal every 2.2 games for us.

Gullan is 2 goals in league cup and none in the league at a rate of a goal every 2.8 games. Shaw would have been a far better backup than Jamie this season imo. Long term though perhaps Jamie has more promise and if we got a fee for Shaw then I can fully understand the choice that Ollie and the Club made.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Shaw has a very good record of scoring when he gets game time. He has scored 3 in the league and 3 in the cup this year at a rate of a goal every 1.6 games for a struggling team. I suggest if he plays the next two or three games he is likely to score as that is what his career record of a goal every 2.3 games would suggest. For reference Doidge has scored at a rate of a goal every 2.2 games for us.
    I could well be wrong, but my memory is that Shaw's best contributions at Hibs were when he came off the bench, and that he never managed to tie down a starting place as he seemed to be less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Disagree.

I thought Hibs fans cut Shaw a length of slack that would not have been given if not for that fact he was a Hibs fan and development player.
    Massively so. Never thought he was hounded out at all. In fact always felt like he could do no wrong. We seem to cut development players a huge amount of slack. Good in a way but they shouldn't be immune to criticism either especially when other players get it absolutely tight. Gullan is another one that people show blind faith in despite not taking his big chances against the likes of Alloa.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I could well be wrong, but my memory is that Shaw's best contributions at Hibs were when he came off the bench, and that he never managed to tie down a starting place as he seemed to be less effective.
    You are. Most of his goals scored when starting.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    You are. Most of his goals scored when starting.
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    He got the assist too.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post

Gullan is 2 goals in league cup and none in the league at a rate of a goal every 2.8 games. Shaw would have been a far better backup than Jamie this season imo. Long term though perhaps Jamie has more promise and if we got a fee for Shaw then I can fully understand the choice that Ollie and the Club made.
    Shaw is a decent finisher but I think just wasn't at the level for where we'd like to be.

Even to make a bigger impact at Ross County I think he needs to do more in his game. He isn't quite good enough as a finisher just to do that but he has very little else that you'd say was a big asset. He's not hugely quick, he's not physical, he doesn't hold it up and he doesn't give defenders a hard game. Decent technically and will score chances like he got the other night.

Porteous & Hanlon are central defenders who are as good as a club at Hibs level could hope for and they will take some replacing on our budget.
    Porteous is as rough and dominant a central defender as can play in the modern game so you ain't getting anyone more physical.
    Name a Central Defender in Scottish Football that any player would fear playing against. Players might fear Declan Gallagher if he was drunk in the boozer but not sober and on a football pitch. Name a centre half partnership outside the old firm that is better than ours?
    Croatia & the Balkans - WTF. Just some central half geezer that plays there will be better than what we have. Really? Who? Any guy that is good will come with the requisite price tag. They aren't dafties across there.

Looks like the prediction of him not scoring again until March was wrong. Good contribution from him today.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    One of the best young strikers in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    One of the best young strikers in Europe
    Steady.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Decent player, always was. Lower half of premier league is where he will play most of his football I think. Would likely be out 3rd choice striker behind Nisbet and Doidge