hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oli Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get the theory of it but if it was as simple as a few weeks of hard work in the gym to make yourself faster would all players not just do that?

FWIW he surprised me with his pace in a game last season, I suspect he’s just a bit faster than people think rather than being any great difference being made over the summer.
    It’s not easy, it’s about building explosive power rather than just bulking up. Surprisingly lots of players and club neglect this side of the game. The Americans are way ahead when it comes to this sort of thing. I required a lot of graft though over and above normal training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Not all players can do it i'd imagine, i think you would notice it more when slim guys like shaw do it, although you dont see too many stocky guys playing football these days.

The guys at the top of the game are already in tip top condition, further down the food chain, things like this can make a difference, just how many want to do it is the question?
    Can it not go the other way if you're not careful? Bulk up too much and you lose a bit of pace.

I seem to remember Hartley going on about it when he went to Dundee - the players preferred to have a bit of muscle that they could show off on instagram rather than actually be the optimum shape for a footballer, which involved being built less for bulk and more for speed.
    Last edited by Smartie; 04-07-2019 at 06:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Can it no go the other way if you're not careful? Bulk up too much and you lose a bit of pace.

I seem to remember Hartley going on about it when he went to Dundee - the players preferred to have a bit of muscle that they could show off on instagram rather than actually be the optimum shape for a footballer, which involved being built less for bulk and more for speed.
    Aye it probably could.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It’s not easy, it’s about building explosive power rather than just bulking up. Surprisingly lots of players and club neglect this side of the game. The Americans are way ahead when it comes to this sort of thing. I required a lot of graft though over and above normal training.

Risk of going way off topic here but if it’s something you’re interested in there’s a section on it in Andre Agassi’s book.

He was struggling with the pace side of tennis and by coincidence he found himself on a gym within an American football team and he did some work with a boy who’d never played tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Can it not go the other way if you're not careful? Bulk up too much and you lose a bit of pace.

As the Americans say, there are ‘show muscles’ and ‘go muscles’ and it’s very different workouts for both.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Risk of going way off topic here but if it’s something you’re interested in there’s a section on it in Andre Agassi’s book.

He was struggling with the pace side of tennis and by coincidence he found himself on a gym within an American football team and he did some work with a boy who’d never played tennis.
    Ozyhibby jnr lifts weights now and I do a lot of research for him to make sure he is not risking injury. He’s mostly doing it so he can get faster.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    The problem with Oli is that he hasn’t been consistent enough at this level when called upon, hence why he hasn’t really started that many games. Compared to someone like a Ryan Porteous who when given the opportunity last season by Lennon had really stamped his place in the starting XI before his injury.

The only way Shaw is going to get game time here is by playing consistently well when called upon. We’ve seen it in flashes but not enough to make you think he’s got a really bright future here and will be on a number of clubs’ radar in a couple of years time. Needs to start grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and showing his true potential. He’s very good at youth level but we’ve had plenty youngsters like that in the past that were unplayable at youth/reserve level but when it came to the first team, they couldn’t cut it.

At 21 years old, he’s at the stage of his career where he needs to start playing regularly. That’s why at the same time, I don’t really see what the problem would be with him going out on loan for 6 months/full season. If he goes to a club where he will be a regular starter and scoring goals, it will do his confidence the world of good. I don’t see how that ain’t better than sitting on our bench and not knowing if he will be called upon.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Shaw played well. Just shows what getting a regular game does.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Credit to Oli, didn’t over celebrate. He just loved playing for Hibs

Not really. He played for Hibs a fair few times and never really looked that good. Difference tonight was he was up against Hanlon/Porteous instead of being on the same side

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Credit to Oli, didn’t over celebrate. He just loved playing for Hibs
    Yes Billy.You have to give him credit for the way he handled himself tonight and to all the snide remarks he was getting before he left us.

@hibs.net private member
    He played well tonight. If we got a fee for him it is understandable why he left but he is exactly what we need to put pressure on our front two. He always looked a decent finisher to me and we need that at the moment

I mean, he had to do something right to get into the right position to get his easy chance tonight - but how exactly did he manage to find that much space in our box?

That was probably the single thing that bugged me the most.

Ok, Hanlon shouldn't have been skinned the way he was and we could pick up on a few thousand different problems tonight, but that was the main one for me.

Still not sure where Porteous had gone.

First Team Regular
    Still not sure where Porteous had gone.
    He left early to pick up his man of the match award.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrahib View Post
    Guess who got man of the match on the BBC website.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Guess who got man of the match on the BBC website.
    Oli Shaw probably.

Oli Shaw was consistently sub standard at Hibs and it was clear his confidence was gone.

We were right to push him.

But it’s the usual wet breeks and revisionism after a bad game.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    If Oli Shaw was awarded that goal against Hearts, I think he'd still be here. Obviously lacks confidence, but scored some real quality goals. He's technically good and has a burst of pace, so I think Yogi will like him.

Oli Shaw probably.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Oli Shaw was consistently sub standard at Hibs and it was clear his confidence was gone.

We were right to push him.

But it’s the usual wet breeks and revisionism after a bad game.
    He was singled out by a section of the crowd and hounded out but he’s not the first and he won’t be the last. A few weeks ago young Doig was starting to get the same treatment on here but at least he doesn’t have to read it. There was no escape for Oli , he had to listen to the abuse.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrahib View Post
    Where did that come from eh?! Insane choice. Wasn't a lot to choose from mind you. But Porto was a bizarre choice. Annoying after how well he played against Sevco the other day!

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Where did that come from eh?! Insane choice. Wasn't a lot to choose from mind you. But Porto was a bizarre choice. Annoying after how well he played against Sevco the other day!
    Yes.There was no player who you could say deserved M o T M.

Shaw started about 2 games in his final 18 months. He never got a fair shot IMO.

He was singled out by a section of the crowd and hounded out but he’s not the first and he won’t be the last. A few weeks ago young Doig was starting to get the same treatment on here but at least he doesn’t have to read it. There was no escape for Oli , he had to listen to the abuse.
    Disagree.

I thought Hibs fans cut Shaw a length of slack that would not have been given if not for that fact he was a Hibs fan and development player.

First Team Breakthrough
    Nothing against Oli but it was right for him to move on. He was never ‘hounded out’. Played well last night and good luck to him.

Hounded out? Nah. Lazy in training and not good enough? Yes.

Had the ability but just his heart wasn't really into it.

Complete and utter bollox

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Hounded out? Nah. Lazy in training and not good enough? Yes.

Had the ability but just his heart wasn't really into it.
    Don't buy it. Seemed up for it enough last night.

Plenty dismissed him even after he left. Talking about how Ross County had wasted a six figure sum before the lad has even had a decent run of games for them. Comments like that are more to do with ignorance on their part than laziness on Olly's.

If Ross County stay up by a point last night's result will stand out as one of their more unlikely - he might just have paid back their investment. I hope so and hope he goes on to be a very good player for them.