hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oli Shaw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's 21 now so not really a young player. It's four year since his debut for Hibs so this is the make or break season for him. He must do more physically against the better teams in the league and take a booking or two to unsettle the experienced defenders.
    He played 20 minutes as a sub 4 years ago. He only really started getting involved with the 1st team 2 years ago when He was 19. I'm not sure why taking a booking or 2 against experienced defenders makes you a better player? I dont remember Fletch, Deek or Garry O picking up many bookings for being over physical. He's scored against Celtc & Aberdeen & should have been credited with a goal at Tynie. That's not bad but he won't get better by sitting on the bench.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    I like Oli. I'd like to see him used more as I think he can finish but needs a run. Not too sure he will get that though and this is really make or break season I'd imagine.

Not a bad player but very light weight and inexperienced. A loan move to a Championship club where we can get a regular start would probably be the best option for him at this point. Allow him to learn his game more and build some confidence.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Not good enough imo, time to move him on.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

He looks like he’s been in the gym over the summer and it has made him faster. I don’t think he should be out on loan. It’s time for him to step up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He seems to have picked up pace. He closed people down well, beat their back line when chasing a flick on and with more composure could have had a couple.
    His movement last night was good his finishing was awful. If we don’t bring in another striker soon we will struggle to score goals as Kamberi imo was poor last night as well

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I really hope Shaw has a big season. He's at the stage where he needs to do the business or his Hibs career will be over. No loans needed, just establish himself as a first team player. Players develop at different ages. I seem to recall that Riordan was the same age before he really made it as a first team player. Shaw has talent, but this season is make or break for him.

The Hibs.net myth that going out on loan is some kind of magic wand rears its ugly head again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    The Hibs.net myth that going out on loan is some kind of magic wand rears its ugly head again.
    he is. just no decided where

Some of the world's best players have been out on loan, and look back on the spell as being career defining.

Playing regular football is important in a player's development. Shaw looks to me like he has done as much as he can without playing first team football every week. If he cannot get that with us he needs to get it elsewhere. 5, 10 minutes here or there is simply not enough, he needs to be starting games.

I'm still torn on him. There's clearly something there, he clearly has talent but often looks a bit lost. I don't think I've ever seen a player look more like he needs to go out on loan, as I don't think he looks ready to play for us every week and he gets nothing out of training, making fleeting appearances for the first team and tearing it up for the development side.

Left by mutual consent!
    I would play him. It’s the only way Garry Deeks and Miller got their chance, a run of games. He’s at least Tam McManus level.

Regular football would improve any player, its hardly a myth. Anyway we will find out soon how he gets on away from here.

Left by mutual consent!
    It’s not a myth.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDayInMay View Post
    Despite Dempster’s insistence that Oli Shaw is ‘one of the best young players in Europe’, I can’t help but feel he would seriously benefit from a loan move away from the club (Possibly Championship) in order to aid in his development.

By no means is this opinion solely based on his performance tonight.

Surely I can’t be the only one that thinks this? 🤔
    Not sure who said he was one of the best young players in Europe but it’s total nonsense, the best young players of his age in Europe are playing first team football and some are full internationals. Would love to see Olly grace the first team as a regular but just not convinced he has what’s needed all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Not sure who said he was one of the best young players in Europe but it’s total nonsense, the best young players of his age in Europe are playing first team football and some are full internationals. Would love to see Olly grace the first team as a regular but just not convinced he has what’s needed all round.
    the only reason oli wont go on loan is that we camt get the strikers we want in. fact im aftaid

I'm looking forward to Oli playing an important first team role this season.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Yes keep him in the squad.Have faith in him.

Shaw certainly has potential and imo if he played the same amount as Flo last season would have scored much more than him.

Delighted to see he has came back faster and stronger and it gives him that extra dimension.

He may have missed a sitter last night but I think he’s a good finisher.

If he was at a bottom 6 club playing every week he would score quite a few and fans would be saying we should go for him.

Lets he patient.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    There is no excuse for not playing him in all the league cup games against the very teams other would having him playing loan games against. Play him or loan him. Either way give him game time but if we loan we had better have another striker on the way . The golden generation was gifted with game time and supporters patience.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craigiehibs View Post
    he is. just no decided where
    Who says?

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    There is no excuse for not playing him in all the league cup games against the very teams other would having him playing loan games against. Play him or loan him. Either way give him game time but if we loan we had better have another striker on the way . The golden generation was gifted with game time and supporters patience.
    Or Williamson had to play them as options were limited and Mowbray got the benefit? If Ollie Shaw is in the first team squad then surely he gets game time based on form alone.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Or Williamson had to play them as options were limited and Mowbray got the benefit? If Ollie Shaw is in the first team squad then surely he gets game time based on form alone.
    He needs game time to build form, bit of a catch 22. If we do not play him against lesser teams then when? Coming on for 10 minutes, often when we are losing, is not the answer. Fletcher played well before he was ready physically and technically. And the second part of the equation is if you drop Shaw who is the backup ?

Blog Entries
    Agreed. People also seem to forget that Oli's already been out on loan. Even going to a top flight club, say Hamilton or St M would be rosky as he wouldnt have the same quality of players, think Scott A, providing him with chances.
    I hope he stays & gets more regular game time.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Agreed. People also seem to forget that Oli's already been out on loan. Even going to a top flight club, say Hamilton or St M would be rosky as he wouldnt have the same quality of players, think Scott A, providing him with chances.
    I hope he stays & gets more regular game time.
    Apparently he appeared in the first team over 30 times last season. He is 21 now. It’s up to him to stake his claim now. I hope he does.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    He looks like he’s been in the gym over the summer and it has made him faster. I don’t think he should be out on loan. It’s time for him to step up here.

Can you become faster by working in the gym for a couple of months?

Surely by the age of whatever he is he’ll be as fast as he’s likely to get.

Was he no just up against a slow defender?

Left by mutual consent!
    Absolutely. Give him the minutes he'll reward us with goals.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

If you build your leg muscles up, the strength you put into them can give you more pace.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    If you build your leg muscles up, the strength you put into them can give you more pace.
    Get the theory of it but if it was as simple as a few weeks of hard work in the gym to make yourself faster would all players not just do that?

FWIW he surprised me with his pace in a game last season, I suspect he’s just a bit faster than people think rather than being any great difference being made over the summer.

You can definitely get a lot faster by spending time in the gym. It’s probably been more than a couple of months though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Get the theory of it but if it was as simple as a few weeks of hard work in the gym to make yourself faster would all players not just do that?

FWIW he surprised me with his pace in a game last season, I suspect he’s just a bit faster than people think rather than being any great difference being made over the summer.
    Not all players can do it i'd imagine, i think you would notice it more when slim guys like shaw do it, although you dont see too many stocky guys playing football these days.

The guys at the top of the game are already in tip top condition, further down the food chain, things like this can make a difference, just how many want to do it is the question?