hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oli Shaw

Oli Shaw

Despite Dempster’s insistence that Oli Shaw is ‘one of the best young players in Europe’, I can’t help but feel he would seriously benefit from a loan move away from the club (Possibly Championship) in order to aid in his development.

By no means is this opinion solely based on his performance tonight.

Surely I can’t be the only one that thinks this? 🤔

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    We don’t have enough strikers to do so at the moment.

Testimonial Due
    Lol if its by no means solely based on his performance tonight , did it not occur to you to state this and start a thread re Shaw before the game ?

He will be away on loan, I know others do but I just dont rate him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol if its by no means solely based on his performance tonight , did it not occur to you to state this and start a thread re Shaw before the game ?
    Tbf people have been saying it for long enough. He currently is miles off being a starter at hibs.

He's still young and can improve but he needs to do it fast. Maybe playing every week against championship defenders would do him good.

I haven't missed this at all during the summer

Been contemplating starting one for a while.

It’s clear too see that Shaw has a lot of qualities but he’s still very ‘raw’ which is only natural for a player of his age. This wasn’t created to bash the guy, he obviously has potential. It’s only an opinion at the end of the day.

And a number of his performances last season as well as tonight have contributed to this opinion. Hence the ‘no means solely based on tonight’ comment.

I’ll make sure to check with you first in future Jimbo 😂

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    All his best form for Hibs came before Heckingbottom came in, that may be confidence or the system we played, whatever the reason Heckingbottom has to be having concerns about going into next season relying on him, even as an option to come off the bench.

Imo Shaw needs a good Pre-season to prove to Heckers he can rely on him, not been a great start to that by the sounds of it.
    Last edited by bingo70; 03-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    The op did say not solely; so partly down to tonight and probably partly down to the end of last season.

As long as we can get another couple forwards in i think a loan out to an upper championship team and games every week for the first half of this season would do him the world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Tbf people have been saying it for long enough. He currently is miles off being a starter at hibs.
    My point exactly. The sky is the limit with regards to his potential but there are a few question marks regarding whether or not he’s good enough for the first team at this stage.

I want to see him do well, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    The op did say not solely; so partly down to tonight and probably partly down to the end of last season.

As long as we can get another couple forwards in i think a loan out to an upper championship team and games every week for the first half of this season would do him the world of good.
    Exactly 👍🏼.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    All his best form for Hibs came before Heckingbottom came in, that may be confidence or the system we played, whatever the reason Heckingbottom has to be having concerns about going into next season relying on him, even as an option to come off the bench.

Imo Shaw needs a good Pre-season to price to Heckers he can rely on him, not been a great start to that by the sounds of it.
    I agree 👍🏼.

Didn’t see game tonight. But if we want best of the rest, oil shaw shouldn’t be the striker. Nothing against the boy but needs a year away to toughen up imo.

Have never understood how it improves a player to go and play with poorer players instead of competing with players at a higher level.

I don’t think Shaw has improved any since he broke into the first team maybe playing every week will do him the world of good. You will always compare him to Riordan, O’Conner and Cummings who improved with age.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He did a lot well tonight.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I think Oli will make it at hibs and as a back up 3rd or 4th striker for this season we’ll struggle to get better. That being said I don’t think another season of him sitting on the bench will allow him to progress for me, I think we should loan him out to a livi, st mirren etc or a top end champ team where they can guarantee him game time and only initially until January. Obviously only if we sign a striker, loaning until jan would let us get him back in if we’re short due to injury or form of other strikers and also if he’s bang in form he’s back with us firing.

Edit. He scored one less as mcnulty scored on the last day
    Last edited by DTS; 03-07-2019 at 09:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Have never understood how it improves a player to go and play with poorer players instead of competing with players at a higher level.
    Suppose the hope is that his problem is that it’s a confidence issue and a fresh start somewhere else might just let him try and get his confidence back without the baggage of poor form hanging over him.

From the squads perspective I don’t think he’s good enough and I don’t see anyone buying him, he has a contract though so we need to honour it, sending him out on loan is the most likely way to create a space in our squad for someone who will hopefully make more of an impact in the first team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He did a lot well tonight.

Good on you for being there.

I will have to take your word for it as I didn’t travel.

He must have improved from last season for you to be saying this.

I find Shaw a strange one.

When he initially appeared in the 1st team I thought he was a finisher but didn't offer much else, perhaps understandable at his age. Then towards the end of last season he made a couple of appearances and looked more involved and lively than ever but his predatory instinct seemed to have deserted him, he was hesitant in front of goal and missed a few chances I would have expected him to bury. I've only spoken to a couple of people who were at the game tonight but both said Shaw looked decent on the ball but missed a really good chance. I'm not sure if that's progress and the finishing will return or cause for concern.

Either way I don't see Shaw going on loan as being beneficial to anyone in terms of developmemt. He's at an age now where he needs to be knocking on the door at Hibs and contributing when he gets a chance. If he goes now then it's creating space and buying time imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Suppose the hope is that his problem is that it’s a confidence issue and a fresh start somewhere else might just let him try and get his confidence back without the baggage of poor form hanging over him.

From the squads perspective I don’t think he’s good enough and I don’t see anyone buying him, he has a contract though so we need to honour it, sending him out on loan is the most likely way to create a space in our squad for someone who will hopefully make more of an impact in the first team.
    Moving him out on loan to create a space is a more honest way to go about it.Thinking it will turn him into a better player by playing at a lower level is not the way.He either has to do it at our level or he’s no good to us.

Also, Oli shaw scored the same amount of league goals as Mark mcnulty in significantly less game time last season, food for thought. He scored winning goals against st mirren and Hamilton and also rescued us a point against st Johnstone, Dundee and st mirren. All these games bar St J during a period of when we were rotten yet he doesn’t seem to get the same “ he had poor service” excuse that mcnulty and kamberi regularly get.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    his minutes per goal ratio must be pretty decent

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    He's still young and can improve but he needs to do it fast. Maybe playing every week against championship defenders would do him good.

He can score goals though. Yes, he needs to improve aspects of his game, but he’s already shown he’s got the key asset as a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    his minutes per goal ratio must be pretty decent
    186 minutes per goal in the league last season so one every 2 games

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Playing regular, competitive games against senior professionals is a good way to improve, rather than reserve/development/whatever it is now games plus 5-10 minute cameos here and there for the first team, which is all Oli was getting at the tail end of last season.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I like him. He’s still young, he’s still got to improve but he’s def got potential.

If he’s not going to get games. If we’re going to sign another striker, then he prob should go out on loan.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    He's 21 now so not really a young player. It's four year since his debut for Hibs so this is the make or break season for him. He must do more physically against the better teams in the league and take a booking or two to unsettle the experienced defenders.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
    Good on you for being there.

I will have to take your word for it as I didn’t travel.

He must have improved from last season for you to be saying this.
    He seems to have picked up pace. He closed people down well, beat their back line when chasing a flick on and with more composure could have had a couple.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction