hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Thank you Rod Petrie

We may have had some difficult times on the pitch but the financial management of the club can't be argued with and an incredible result out of the other side to be debt free, with an investment, with sell on clauses for players like John McGinn, with a Scottish Cup in the cabinet and with Leeann Dempster having been brought in to fulfil the parts involved of being at the top of our club that he couldn't.

Sir Tom deserves the biggest thank you, but let's not get lost in things too. Today is a fantastic day for the club that sees us stronger and his part in our successes must be celebrated, as I'm sure we've all lambasted him for the failings as well.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Agreed - Petrie has an overwhelmingly positive legacy at Hibs to be proud of.

Often criticised but he has earned is a lot of money with how he deals with transfers.

Well done and good luck.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Absolutely.

He can leave with his head held high having served the club honorably. Let's be classy in this transition.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We may have had some difficult times on the pitch but the financial management of the club can't be argued with and an incredible result out of the other side to be debt free, with an investment, with sell on clauses for players like John McGinn, with a Scottish Cup in the cabinet and with Leeann Dempster having been brought in to fulfil the parts involved of being at the top of our club that he couldn't.

Sir Tom deserves the biggest thank you, but let's not get lost in things too. Today is a fantastic day for the club that sees us stronger and his part in our successes must be celebrated, as I'm sure we've all lambasted him for the failings as well.
    Well said

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I wonder if if the open vacancy for scapegoat will be on the website?

Left by mutual consent!
    All the guys who predicted this last night, info was stop on. Will always remember the tears when talking about the Cup Final and how we got behind the team. Best of luck in whatever your future hold Rod. Always welcome at ER.

He's always been a figure who you couldn't be neutral about and I don't think any of us have been wholly uncritical of him.

Ah but...

After the 2016 Cup Final he was asked on camera the usual dumb question about did you ever think you'd see the day when we won the Scottish Cup. His reply: Yes. Superb

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    What a power of work he’s put in at the club over the years. Seen highs and lows but his commitment to the cause and having Hibs best long term interests at heart never faltered.

Thank you, viva Le Tache

Thanks Rod, all the best.

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks for everything Rod,never doubted your commitment for a moment.
    Thanks for that great day 3 years ago.
    GGTTH.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    When it comes to finances nobody beats our own Rod Petrie, go on my son!!!

A very clever man.

I criticised RP when I felt he deserved criticism and likewise praised him when I felt it was deserved.

He was never a black and white character but overall he played his part in ensuring we were a club who were an attractive proposition for fresh investment. On the pitch the successes more than counterbalance the failures. The SC win alone would have done that for me but I understand not everyone will feel the same.

Ultimately he carried out the job entrusted to him to the best of his ability and has left us in a better state than he found us. That's all anyone can ask.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I criticised RP when I felt he deserved criticism and likewise praised him when I felt it was deserved.

He was never a black and white character but overall he played his part in ensuring we were a club who were an attractive proposition for fresh investment. On the pitch the successes more than counterbalance the failures. The SC win alone would have done that for me but I understand not everyone will feel the same.

Ultimately he carried out the job entrusted to him to the best of his ability and has left us in a better state than he found us. That's all anyone can ask.
    He did more more than play his part, tremendous custodian of our finances. Will be missed greatly.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’m not a fan of Petrie and delighted he’s gone, but can’t disputes he did well building the infrastructure and negotiating some of the fees we’ve received for players in his time.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    RP's efforts and dedication to Hibernian FC seems to have been fully appreciated by Sir Tom so that's good enough for me.

Long may The Tache flourish and best of luck for the future Rod.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He was never afraid to make unpopular decisions in what he viewed were the best interests of the club and while it was never plain sailing from start to finish, Petrie's achievements at Hibs far outweigh his mistakes.

Thanks Rod, you and STF leave a club a world away from the one that STF bought.

I always felt his biggest failing was being unable to see the correlation between a successful team on the park and the huge benefits it could have commercially. But there is no doubt that his commitment to running Hibs in a businesslike manner and giving his all to that aim was total and for that he is due a huge amount of credit … now that we are at the end he has far more in the credit column than the debit one and what true businessman could ask for more.

If we ever have a statue to Rod Petrie the plinth should only have one word written on it ... EXUBERANCE

Thanks Rod

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Thanks Rod for all your work over the years to get us into position we are in today.

Rod Petrie - someone I think has been much misunderstood by a lot of people.

My favourite story about Rod Petrie comes from the Scottish Cup bus parade, the day after we'd won it.
    Now this was told to me second hand, so sincere apologies if any of the details are not quite right in my retelling, but it was along these lines:

At the reception in the City Chambers before the players & everyone boarded the Victory Parade bus, Rod asked to say a couple of words.
    He explained - and no-one else had been aware of this until then - that he had been made aware of a tragedy (I think a young Hibs supporting father had passed away close to the Cup Final) and Rod had made a point of ensuring that the man's son would lead Hibs out as mascot alongside captain David Gray at the cup final.
    David Gray was more shocked (and emotional) than anyone else at finding this out, and, of course, the following 92 minutes had been the best of the young mascot's life. At difficult times like that, the football is the ultimate release, and there was a lot of "unseen work" and humanity in Rod's gesture. You could go as far as to say it showed he really gets Hibs and what it means to us all, and what it meant to that family at that tragic time.
    By all accounts, Rod, David Gray & plenty others in the room had a tear in the eye as the story was recounted.

Others might take a different view, but, for my tuppence worth, I would sum it up in two words: Hibs Class.

Here's to a good future for Rod, Sir Tom and, of course, the famous Edinburgh Hibees!

@hibs.net private member
    Rod Petrie: the off the pitch Tortolano.
    Joe got pelters throughout his time at Hibs, but is always remembered fondly on reflection a few years later - I suspect Rod will be another that the supporters clubs will be lining up to get as a guest in a few years time.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Made some terrible decisions on the footballing side of things but cannot argue with the transformation of the club under his stewardship as STF’s rep.

Very much responsible for us surviving the troubled times of Scottish football and bringing us out the other side significantly better off as a club.

The only team outwith the old firm with a top quality >20k capacity stadium and fully owned training facility with minimal debt to show for it.

Testimonial Due

Farewell you mustached prince of exuberance

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    however frustrating he might have been at times, there is one thing you can't deny - he leaves hibs with all of his objectives very much accomplished, and a scottish cup to boot. well done RP, and thank you for the legacy you leave us with

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Thing about Petrie for me was that I never once doubted we were financially safe in his hands, especially given where we'd come from when Farmer took over.

Farmer knew the man and at that vital time entrusted the safety of the club to him, he delivered that and leaves us a lot stronger than when he joined us, for that I'm grateful.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    He was never afraid to make unpopular decisions in what he viewed were the best interests of the club and while it was never plain sailing from start to finish, Petrie's achievements at Hibs far outweigh his mistakes.

Thanks Rod, you and STF leave a club a world away from the one that STF bought.
    Great post Matty and saved me typing this as exactly my thoughts, I won't hear a bad word against him.

Thanks Rod. One of the good guys
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’m not a fan of Petrie and delighted he’s gone, but can’t disputes he did well building the infrastructure and negotiating some of the fees we’ve received for players in his time.
    Do you remember the state of the club when he came in?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    All the guys who predicted this last night, info was stop on. Will always remember the tears when talking about the Cup Final and how we got behind the team. Best of luck in whatever your future hold Rod. Always welcome at ER.
    Can vaguely remember him choking up, what interview was that again?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Petrie, the man folk loved to hate that didn't grasp that football was a business and wanted all the money poured onto the pitch.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

If you're in his position at a football club for a couple of decades, you're going to get things wrong and you're going to piss people off. This would be worth pointing out to our new saviour on day one - if you think it is all going to be plain sailing, think again.

The good that Petrie has done far outweighs the bad, although I think it is disrespectful and patronising for us to simply gloss over the fact that some of us have given him dogs abuse over the years and rebelled quite strongly against his stewardship.

It's strangely emotional for me today as I haven't really known anything other than the Farmer era and Petrie has been a huge figure for so much of that. I didn't grow up in Edinburgh so only really got to go to games once I was old enough to travel through on the bus on my own (my mum and Dad had no interest in football) and that would have been about 1992. To fairly and properly assess the work of Farmer and Petrie you would have to contemplate where we were then and compare it to where we are now. If you choose to focus more on the bumps in the road than you do the overwhelming improvements we have made as a club, all without stiffing a single creditor along the way (hiya Rangers, Hearts, Dundee, Motherwell, Livingston, Gretna.......) then that says a whole lot more about you than it does about them.

We move forward with comical aspirations of where our new owner might take us. But it is worth remembering that we are being released by a couple of very steady pairs of hands indeed, hands who had absolutely nothing but our best interests at heart - and those best interests don't always involve caving in and giving us what we want.