hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sir Tom Farmer

@hibs.net private member

Sir Tom Farmer

Well it looks like the end of the line for Sir Tom's involvement with Hibs.
    From those of us old enough to remember the darkest days in our history when he saved us from going under right through to today.
    A stadium to be proud of in Leith. A training facility second to none that we don't share with hockey students. A solid financial platform. And finally a team ready to challenge at the top end of the table on a regular basis.
    Oh and did I mention the greatest day in my life.
    All done the correct way with no cheating.
    Thanks Sir Tom.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From those of us old enough to remember the darkest days in our history when he saved us from going under right through to today.
    A stadium to be proud of in Leith. A training facility second to none that we don't share with hockey students. A solid financial platform. And finally a team ready to challenge at the top end of the table on a regular basis.
    Thanks Sir Tom.
    Probably the most important person in the clubs history

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Thanks Sir Tom.
    STF can be proud of his role in saving the Club and putting us in such a healthy position today. Particularly admirable given he has admitted himself over the years he has not a great interest in football

Is he actually leaving or has someone just put money in? If he was leaving and the club was being sold then shareholders would be aware first, no?

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Is he actually leaving or has someone just put money in? If he was leaving and the club was being sold then shareholders would be aware first, no?
    Depends what's being sold.

His last job is to ensure whoever buys his shares has the cash to ensure Hibernian football club have a bright future
    no David Duffs

Is there anything official, anywhere, about this investment etc being an actual real thing?

If it spells the end of Sir Tom Farmer's involvement, he leaves as the literal saviour of Hibs. A legacy that cannot be debated or tarnished.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Todi114 View Post
    His last job is to ensure whoever buys his shares has the cash to ensure Hibernian football club have a bright future
    no David Duffs
    Or Duff David as I call him!

I'm so glad this thread has been completely positive. He's been absolutely outstanding for us and it's incredible that there are a vocal minority out that can't recognise this

@hibs.net private member
    I agree with earlier posters. One of the most important people in Hibs history and he did it all for the right reasons. Ridiculous some of the crap he has had to put up with over the years.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes. Will remain a key figure in our history. If we do get new ownership I hope they have the best for our club and its place in our community at the heart of their strategy too.

IMO he's been that important we should be considering naming a stand after him.

IF it is the end of STFs time with Hibs then it would be almost impossible to argue that he leaves us in anything other than an infinitely more positive position than the one we were in when he acquired us all those years ago.

A modern stadium, a modern training facility, a solid financial platform and 3 major trophies in the cabinet isn't a bad legacy to leave.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Thanks Sir Tom.
    Deserves a statue..

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    during a time when he was under a lot of criticism, I once wrote to Sir Tom thanking him for his continued benevolence and good management of the club. He wrote me back a personal letter in reply within a few days. STF is a class act and has been the saviour of Hibs. Needs a stand naming after him IMHO.

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    My own thoughts are, it would be deserving to say the least. He's had a big input into the club, as we all know..

Agree re the stand

Would like to have at least one more stand with a specific name (rather than just east/west/south) and I can't think of anyone more deserving than Farmer

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Agree re the stand

Would like to have at least one more stand with a specific name (rather than just east/west/south) and I can't think of anyone more deserving than Farmer

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whilst it is still a bit early for the eulogising I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed.

Some of the folk who have criticized STF over the years for his stewardship of Hibs should be ashamed of themselves.

RP is a much more divisive figure but I have absolutely no doubt he acted in what he thought were the best interests of his principal and far more often than not by extension the club.

One of the great joys of the Scottish Cup Win was seeing how much it meant to STF and RP, none of whom could probably have given a damn about football before their involvement.

To see that Hibs could have such an effect of such hard-bitten businessmen tells you what our great club and support are all about.

GGTTH

If all this investment is true and STF steps down, he will go down as a Hibernian legend. With no interest in football he saved our club and kept it on the straight and narrow, a stand and a statue please.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    during a time when he was under a lot of criticism, I once wrote to Sir Tom thanking him for his continued benevolence and good management of the club. He wrote me back a personal letter in reply within a few days. STF is a class act and has been the saviour of Hibs. Needs a stand naming after him IMHO.
    A stand? Let's just go the whole hog and rename ER as the STF Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I remember meeting him outside the ground pre match years ago back when I was a young lad. Back then and being so young I actually had little idea of just who he was but I’ve certainly never forgot him since. Took all the time in the world to chat to me about my thoughts on the game, favourite players etc and to top it off arranged for me to be a mascot a few games later at Easter Road. Getting to run out of the tunnel with my hero’s facing onto the old east is something I’ll definitely never get to experience again and it was all down to him. Tell you what, you’d struggle to find an owner with the characters of him anywhere today in the modern game. A great servant to the club and even if it isn’t the end it’s still nice to come together and celebrate everything he has done for the club over the years in this thread as I don’t ever think he’s got quite the credit he deserves. “The STF West Stand” least he deserves imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I found it very poignant in the “Time for Heroes” video when he told the story of how his grandfather who at that time was a Director of the Football Club came home from the 1902 Scottish Cup Final and placed the Scottish Cup on the sideboard of the family home

We will be forever in debt to Sir Tom Farmer and his family for everything they have done for our great Football Club
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-07-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Name the training ground after him imo.

He's secured the future of the club after all. I'd leave the stands for former players.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Great threat Pathead, nice to read of the deserved praise of STF

I’m sure if we move into new hands, he’ll make sure they are safe hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Name the training ground after him imo.

He's secured the future of the club after all. I'd leave the stands for former players.
    I think the West stand should be named after him. The main stand for the main man without whom we’d be lucky to still be in existence

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by franck sauzee View Post
    I'm so glad this thread has been completely positive. He's been absolutely outstanding for us and it's incredible that there are a vocal minority out that can't recognise this

Absolutely correct. I've a feeling that any animosity is/was linked to politics rather than football.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thanks Sir Tom.
    "A training facility second to none that we don't share with hockey students"

Should read... "A training facility second to none that we OWN and don't share with hockey students"

STF... Hibernian FC legend!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

I like it STF Stand Lower K160 👌

I am old enough to remember how he saved us at a very dark time for the club. I fully support a stand named after him, it’s the least he deserves.