hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They actually scored after 90 seconds of the second leg and then as the OP mentioned missed a penalty but after about 35 minutes.
    We were rocking and in deep trouble until Jackson decided to sort them out. We had a terrible record against Airdrie and as Billy said nerves were shredded that evening
    It was a stay of execution as Jackson went to Celtic and we went down the next season. Lex Gold tried to justify the sale in a telephone conversation after I had faxed , yes Faxed , my worries for the coming season minus Darren
    I was worrying about nothing he told me
    I never received another call from him after it all went pear shaped
    I thought we went behind early doors but wasn’t sure typical HIBS

I remember it was do or die

Four penalties a man sent off ( Airdrie) and an Airdrie player with a broken leg

A match certainly not for the feint hearted

Apart from Jackson grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and pulling us up by the boots I also remember Jim Leighton having an excellent game as both goal keepers were kept busy

As you quite rightly said it only delayed the inevitable

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Four penalties a man sent off ( Airdrie) and an Airdrie player with a broken leg

Apart from Jackson grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and pulling us up by the boots I also remember Jim Leighton having an excellent game as both goal keepers were kept busy

Man sent off when it was running away from
    Airdrie
    Well well what a surprise :

Airdrie captain, Jimmy Sandison, realising he would not be seeing McGinlay's face in the premier division, left his mark on it with his elbow. It was a needless sending off, but a deserved one, when he was shown the red card.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Funny how you remember games but forget vital parts of the game I forgot about the circumstances leading to their early goal.
    Just reading a report of the game and Leighton went for a cross and looked to be favourite until Yogi more or less headed it out his hands for paddy Connolly to roll it in to an empty net.
    I remember Leighton having a stormer after that setback as you mentioned
    Last edited by ben johnson; 26-06-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Brutal thread.

He could have walked out at the WC opener v Brazil as a Hibs player.
    But he is in the programme as a Celtic player. He had some great games in World Cup group to qualify for France
    World class goal in Latvia.
    Won a penalty in Minsk.
    Great game at Ibrox v Sweden
    to name a few.
    Aye Lex Gold. Another admin man out his depth.

you think Jackson would not have pushed for the celtic move?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Brutal thread.
    Agreed. I don’t know what goes through people’s head at times.

United we stand here....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Joe Harper. Was hoping Doddy would be on to post this, hope he's ok.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Brutal thread.
    That's a bit harsh. Perhaps the thread title is a bit OTT, but a lot of footballers are roasters, some at Hibs. A thread about anti-heroes is fine.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    That's a bit harsh. Perhaps the thread title is a bit OTT, but a lot of footballers are roasters, some at Hibs. A thread about anti-heroes is fine.
    Well, if folk are going to level accusations of being a horrible human being at players then at least back it up - angling for a move to another club is hardly the definition of a horrible human being.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ryan McGivern. Always struck me as someone who thought we were a massive step down for him

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Well, if folk are going to level accusations of being a horrible human being at players then at least back it up - angling for a move to another club is hardly the definition of a horrible human being.
    Yes, I would have gone with 'Roasters Playing For Hibs'.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

First Team Breakthrough calamitus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: marmite machine
    Played some fantastic football for Hibs.
    Took the relegation play off against Airdrie by the scruff of the neck and pulled us through
    Forced his way into the Scotland set up when playing for Hibs.
    When Lex Gold sold him we missed him so much we got relegated the first season without him.
    Yeah what a can’t.
    I'm not saying he carried that team, but I remember him literally passing to himself on the wing from the edge of our box one time when we were defending a corner that season. Genuinely think he's one of the most underrated Scottish players of the last few decades. Never the same player after his brain issue, unfortunately. Exactly the kind of annoyingly snarky player you love when he's on your side and hate when he's playing for the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by calamitus View Post
    I'm not saying he carried that team, but I remember him literally passing to himself on the wing from the edge of our box one time when we were defending a corner that season. Genuinely think he's one of the most underrated Scottish players of the last few decades. Never the same player after his brain issue, unfortunately. Exactly the kind of annoyingly snarky player you love when he's on your side and hate when he's playing for the opposition.
    He's probably my favourite player in my time watching Hibs and at times he was absolutely outstanding, in exactly the way you describe.

That a player can leave Hibs and go on to play for Celtic and Hearts yet have me still really like him says it all.

We saw the best of him.

Quote Originally Posted by calamitus View Post
    Exactly what I said :

Love to hate

I remember he scored against us for United in the SC up at Tannadice and he was right across rubbing our noses in it but then he was part of the dream team with Keith Keith Keith Wright I would have preferred Tommy Coyne but it worked out just fine
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-06-2019 at 10:00 PM.

That is a horrible title for a thread and generally only folk close to the club would know who the horrible individuals were.
    Those who only think about themselves in any given situation are fairly thick on the ground in the real world so there will have been many at our club but horrible human beings is a big stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    you think Jackson would not have pushed for the celtic move?
    It’s a fair point He might have and I can’t recall the contract details with Hibs at the time.
    I do know Lex Gold was delighted he was going. I mentioned earlier that he called me at home to discuss the issue after I had sent a fax on the matter
    Lex thought it was a great deal for a player coming to the end of his career
    and was not as vital to the team as some people thought.
    We kicked it about and I totally opposed everything he said
    He ended the conversation by saying “ the more we talk the more I think we are in agreement over this matter “
    Then he wished me well and told me the Club was going places
    That place was the League below.
    Never once praised Jackson nor did he make efforts to keep him
    at the club
    At the end of the relegation season, the fighter he was , he resigned

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Exactly mate, it’s a dreadful thread to bring up, all these guys played for hibs and some worked out well others didn’t. To label them horrible human beings is beyond ridiculous and unfair. I wonder if the op would be happy if Reading fans were calling Marc McNulty a horrible human being, or maybe Scott Allan? They’re football players and most of us don’t know what they’re like as human beings.

United we stand here....

Horrible title but it has stimulated lots of interesting discussion and memories but I take the point they are not really horrible human beings they are simply just footballers and like us at the end of the day they are just human

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Ryan McGivern. Always struck me as someone who thought we were a massive step down for him
    He was terrible but not horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He's probably my favourite player in my time watching Hibs and at times he was absolutely outstanding, in exactly the way you describe.

That a player can leave Hibs and go on to play for Celtic and Hearts yet have me still really like him says it all.

We saw the best of him.
    Having started his career at Meadowbank, he's probably the last player to have played for all 3 league clubs in Edinburgh. Unless there's anyone currently at City who can claim that title?

Chic Charnley was undoubtedly a "character". People have used the term "mis-guided" or "silly laddie" but the guy was about 30 when he joined us!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Having started his career at Meadowbank, he's probably the last player to have played for all 3 league clubs in Edinburgh. Unless there's anyone currently at City who can claim that title?

Chic Charnley was undoubtedly a "character". People have used the term "mis-guided" or "silly laddie" but the guy was about 30 when he joined us!!
    Danny Galbraith comes close but your right I think.

@hibs.net private member
    I'll raise you all Fife Hyland - former Hibs director who now Communications Director for Drum Property Group - the firm responsible for the wanton destruction of businesses, jobs and community on Leith Walk - a despicable piece of filth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post

Chic was 33 when he joined us 😳
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 27-06-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Chic Charnley isn't horrible in any way. He's just a bam - nothing wrong with that.

Long live the bams!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Chic Charnley isn't horrible in any way. He's just a bam - nothing wrong with that.

Long live the bams!
    He is a lovely guy but an utter bam.

A mate of mine who is a bluenose used to play alongside Chic in the juniors and loves him to bits. He also told me he would regularly drive through Possilpark and see Chic plus his daft mates hanging around outside the bookies with a 4 pack of Tennents at their feet and their shirt pockets full of betting slips.

This would be of an afternoon whilst Chic was still playing as a professional at Dundee or Thistle.

Not sure how Chic would do in the modern era of football.