Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    A fraud of a manager

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A year ago lennon put the best hibs team together since the tornadoes everyone on here was ranting and raving about the new season on the horizon and europa league which I may add was a successful campaign for us.

I can't understand this lennon seeth some of us have, yes he chucked it a little and his attitude was wrong at times but I feel the new modern players is a little bit a snowflake. I never played at a high level above 17 year old. Highest level I would say was East of Scotland i played. We got absolutely hounded as youngesters and it gave me that bit between my teeth " ill ****ing show you then" was my attitude. If you can't handle the criticism don't sign for a high profile club and and don't get into a job where you are scrutinised for every move you make.

Perfect example was Steven Gerrard under GH early in his career and you hear him talk about rafa as well the uncertainty they gave him and " bullying" some people call it.

Its no reason only the mentality strong are succesful
    You lost me with the use of ‘snowflake’.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The way folk have turned on Lennon is crap.

Record ever points total and yet everyone now hates him.

I doubt Heckingbittom will have us anywhere near the same points in his time with us.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

I doubt Heckingbittom will have us anywhere near the same points in his time with us.
    Engineered his way out to conveniently end up in the Celtic job and bullied some of our players. Threatened to leave on numerous occasions as if he was bigger than the club and left us in absolute free fall.

His record at the end and treatment of Flo are the reasons most people are justifiably glad he’s gone. Judging by this article it would seem he treats numerous players like ****.

When it all goes tits up for celtic this season he will continue the theme of blaming everyone else but himself. He had a excellent 6 months at hibs but outwith that it ranged from mediocre to poor. The comparisons to Eddie Turnbull were as laughable then as they are now. Lennon shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as him.

Left by mutual consent!

It’s doubtful we will have the same quality as McGinn or McGeough and Ambrose so you’re probably right.

The season he left was a complete shambles. Like Billy said he gave the impression he was doing a Colin Calderwood too. That was all after he shat the bed at Tynie with his tactic the night he took a tantrum. Then there was celebrating against the huns when we drew because it looked like it denied them second after blowing 3-0 lead to be 5-3 behind.
    Last edited by The 90+2; 25-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    You lost me with the use of ‘snowflake’.
    Pansies

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

Hyperbole and nonsense. Everyone doesn't "Hate" him. But many are of the opinion that his exit was in the long term best interests of the club.

You have no idea what Heckingbottom can achieve, and he doesn't have the luxury of taking over a team on the UP who had just won the Scottish Cup, and included SJM, Dylan and younger versions of Hanlon, McGregor, Stevenson and Gray.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Why are you focusing on the points total? Yes it is an achievement, but if Heckingbottom was to finish 3rd with a lower points total is that a lesser achievement? Lennon finished 4th, that was a good finish but hardly unrepeatable.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Why are you focusing on the points total? Yes it is an achievement, but if Heckingbottom was to finish 3rd with a lower points total is that a lesser achievement? Lennon finished 4th, that was a good finish but hardly unrepeatable.
    The record points total line makes me laugh.

When did 3 points for a win come in? Early 90s? So basically he secured our highest points total since the early 90s (still good going) but finished beneath where Miller, McLeish and Mowbray had us in 3rd.

Best team since the 70s? It was the best team (for 6 mths) since the Mowbray / Collins team of 2005 - 2008 imo.

Lenny was good for us and I like him, but he didn't do anything exceptional, that hasn't been done before or won't be done again many times in the future.

People need to calm down with the extremes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs4life View Post
    I think we need to be careful we are not rewriting history now. In my view, for the majority of Lennon's time here, I think we saw quite a few players' performances improve and it seemed he instilled a greater degree of confidence and self belief in players and it did seem a happy and united team, which provided great entertainment.
    Of course latterly that didn't seem to be so evident, so his approach was then correctly questioned.
    However, I think his time with us should be remembered positively, save for the last couple of months where, for whatever reason, things seem to spin beyond his control. Those last few months now seem to be how he will be remembered with us, which is a shame for us and him.
    I agree & it's unfortunate this thread is now becoming polarised. Here's my attempt at balance.

Season 1. Pro, got us promoted. Con, Terry Butcher could have got us promoted without Yams & Sevco in League. We scored 1 more point than under AS in both his seasons.
    Season 2. Pro, highest ever points total, some great entertainment, 10 Hibs goals in last 2 home games. Won twice at Ibroke. Had the nerve to change out our largely successful strike force. Cons, not many. Poor home games vs Hamilton & St J, a shocker away at Aberdeen. No wins at PBS. Early signs of player problems in winter break at Portugal.
    Season 3. Pro, great start to season, 2 losses over 90 minutes in first 16 games. Cons, Shocking 2nd half to 1st half of the season, 2 league wins in 15 games, conflicts with players & appeared to lose the dressing room.
    One other overall plus (IMO) for NL was he raised the profile of our club both in Scotland & beyond. Overall it was an entertaining but turbulent ride. We move on however & I'm very happy with our current, more stable set up.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I wonder what you’ll all be saying about Heckingbottom when he leaves!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    The record points total line makes me laugh.

When did 3 points for a win come in? Early 90s? So basically he secured our highest points total since the early 90s (still good going) but finished beneath where Miller, McLeish and Mowbray had us in 3rd.

Best team since the 70s? It was the best team (for 6 mths) since the Mowbray / Collins team of 2005 - 2008 imo.

Lenny was good for us and I like him, but he didn't do anything exceptional, that hasn't been done before or won't be done again many times in the future.

People need to calm down with the extremes.
    This forum is renowned for extremes.

Players are usually either superstars or absolute dugsite...rarely are they average.

Managers are too it appears.

My view on Lennon was that for the most part, he was good, but his shelf life was reduced after the Hearts rant, and it became all about him and not the club.

I am happy he has moved on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    A fraud of a manager
    Deary me.

Left by mutual consent!
    People slag off cup winning hero of a legend Stubbsy so no doubt there will be a few negatives flown his way. As long as he respects the club and isn’t on a piss poor run it will be mainly positive.

Football has changed and a lot of players just don't respond to 'motivation' that essentially boils down to bullying anymore.

I've referenced it before but Alex Fergusons discusses his change in style at length in his book on leadership. He basically says that the 'hairdryer' just doesn't work anymore. Modern players, even at a young age, know their value and they just won't respond to being berated on a regular basis. It can be used but it has to be appropriate and proportionate. If it's a go to method then it just goes in one ear and out the other. It's still possible to set high standards and let players know what is expected of them without belittling them. It would be a hard push to argue Fergie wasn't a winner so I'd take his opinion over the 'run them up the dunes at Gullane' brigade.

I suppose it's something that can be transferred to all our working lives. I've had bosses who have tried to be the 'big man' and screamed and shouted at people. They just look like dicks and become a bit of a joke figure with people doing impressions of them and laughing at them behind their back. Most people I know respond better to a bit encouragement, constructive criticism and a boss who is approachable but firm when they have to be.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!

The stars aligned for Lennon. He had one of the best midfields we've probably ever had at his disposal and once they all left he'd no idea how to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    Pansies
    Seriously? Care to elaborate on that?

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This forum is renowned for extremes.

Players are usually either superstars or absolute dugsite...rarely are they average.

Managers are too it appears.

My view on Lennon was that for the most part, he was good, but his shelf life was reduced after the Hearts rant, and it became all about him and not the club.

I am happy he has moved on.
    The funny thing is even when someone does say that a player or manager is ‘average’, it’s somehow taken to mean that they are absolute dug***** anyway 😂

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The funny thing is even when someone does say that a player or manager is ‘average’, it’s somehow taken to mean that they are absolute dug***** anyway 😂
    I can confirm that is the first thought that goes through my head when someone says a player is average now that you’ve pointed it out

Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post
    Deary me.
    We were utter mince all bar 6 months.

Lennon had the easiest task of any Hibs manager i can remember when he took the job. Club and fanbase riding the crest of a wave and no Hearts or Rangers to battle for promotion. We huffed and puffed but got promoted in the end. Huffed and puffed to the January transfer window when we were back in the Premiership and signed Allan, Maclaren and Kamberi which transformed the 2nd half of the season into a brilliant one. Last season was turgid after not a bad start and by the time he left we looked like relegation fodder. 4/5 excellent months, 3/4 woefull months and the rest average at best.

Hopefully that he's a Hibs Legend for bringing another Trophy/trophies back to Leith? I get the feeling those who think Lennon was the greatest thing since time began are waiting on Heckingbottom's first slip up.

Heckingbottom currently has a more difficult job this summer in recruiting players than Lennon ever did. Lennon walked into a settled side and used them. Heckingbottom is about to start a transition period where the players who have served us well over the last 5 years are being faded out and new blood and a new style is being implemented.

He done well so far with what was someone elses squad and playing a style of football he admitted himself will be night and day to the one we will play this season with his own players. He deserves the opportunity to mould his own side and has shown enough with Lennon's side that he is more than capable of doing the job.

I don't hate him.
    He was the right man to come in after Stubbs and get us promoted. At no point during that first season did I think he would fail to achieve that goal, a confidence I have rarely felt following Hibs over the years.And his second season was tremendous fun, apart from a few blips it was an absolute joy going to the fitba.
    His last few months with us were brutal though. His actions in the dugout swayed between Butcher and Malpas like rants at players and hiding away unable to change things as he did at Killie away. He really did have to go. I reckon he will be OK at Celtic until Sevco start to provide a real challenge and then it will be the same Lennon we saw over the last few months here. There is no doubt its all going to end in tears.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Lennon had the easiest task of any Hibs manager i can remember when he took the job. Club and fanbase riding the crest of a wave and no Hearts or Rangers to battle for promotion. We huffed and puffed but got promoted in the end. Huffed and puffed to the January transfer window when we were back in the Premiership and signed Allan, Maclaren and Kamberi which transformed the 2nd half of the season into a brilliant one. Last season was turgid after not a bad start and by the time he left we looked like relegation fodder. 4/5 excellent months, 3/4 woefull months and the rest average at best.
    Totally agree with this.

Strange how this view seems to be generally accepted assessment of events during Neil Lennons time at Hibs these days but anyone who dared say it at the time was a Lennon hating troll who was revelling in negativity.

Left by mutual consent!
    Totally agree with this.

Strange how this view seems to be generally accepted assessment of events during Neil Lennons time at Hibs these days but anyone who dared say it at the time was a Lennon hating troll who was revelling in negativity.
    Folk back the club and the management regardless.

By the way I was called a Lennon hater, when it was just expressing the opinion Lennon in the job through December and January was not in the clubs best interest anymore which was my opinion.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Totally agree with this.

Not forgetting his failure to play David Gray and his resentment at him being referred to as Sir David, which was petty to say the least.

It was a record for 3 points for a win, big differenece. Killie also matched that ''record'' last season so I don't think its ridiculous to suggest Heckingbottom can match it. We were only like 12 points away from it last season, if we beat Livingston home and away and Dundee home and St Mirren home we pretty much have it. Hardly mindblowing to suggest that can happen.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    A fraud of a manager
    Who’s Hibs team produced some of the best football I’ve seen at Easter Road.

Totally agree with this.

I remember being crucified on here for saying his Tynecastle meltdown was embarrassing. Absolutely hounded for it