hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

VAR - is it good for the game?

Must admit that I have never been in favour of it. The ongoings at the woman's world Cup seems to cause more problems than it solves. If it has to be brought in it should only be used for clear cut decisions. Any thoughts?
    Experienced it yesterday and it holds up the game too much. Obviously an American idea.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    No. It’s a waste of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good for hibs.net. It gives folk something else to be opinionated blowhards about.

Personally I don't like it.

I thought it would be but, I'm yet to be convinced.

No. Killing the game.

it's not the video. it's the substandard refereeing. I bet it's not as bad in the premiership next year as the standard of original decisions is (despite the clowns on match of the day) much higher and they'll only use it for its proper purpose of correcting a clear error.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Must admit that I have never been in favour of it. The ongoings at the woman's world Cup seems to cause more problems than it solves. If it has to be brought in it should only be used for clear cut decisions. Any thoughts?
    Experienced it yesterday and it holds up the game too much. Obviously an American idea.
    Having spent two weeks in France at the World Cup, all I can say is that it’s a nightmare.

It breaks up play, and I agree with the American point.

Next we’ll have 4 quarters, subbing formations for offensive or defensive plays.

Taking a beautiful game and ruining it to suit morons with money.

Did I mention that I’m not a fan of VAR 😂

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    A start would be getting goal line technology in the SPFL Premiership

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Never liked it from the start and with every game I watch I see nothing to change my mind, Goal line technology is sufficient.

Football's the only sport to have actually been made worse instead of better with video technology.

I really thought it would have been an improvement but it's been a bit of a disaster so far.

Left by mutual consent!
    Its ruining the game.

Bad decisions are part and parcel of football and you just need to get on with it.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    I’m in favour but it is ponderous atm.

Goal line technology of some sort is needed but is separate from VAR

Think the issue is that it was brought in to deal with injustices like the Henri handball but is fumbling around trying to find fouls at too many incidents.

Think that FIFA are allowing associations to use it in whatever way they see fit. Clearly in the hope that a someone comes up with an effective way to use it.

The communication with the crowd/ viewers need to be sorted. An area where you can look at cricket/ rugby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. People seem to have a go at VAR when it's rarely VAR's fault. If you're offside then you're offside. If you're off your line then you're off your line. These aren't subjective decisions yet people seem to want to blame VAR for getting these kind of decisions right according to the rules. It's not perfect but it's not the devil as some would have you believe.

First Team Breakthrough
    Not a fan, I used to think if it was for offsides or a blatant dive then it might be be a good thing, now it’s just ruining the whole game I fell in love with. The only new introduction I like is goal line technology, quick and easy

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Yes. People seem to have a go at VAR when it's rarely VAR's fault. If you're offside then you're offside. If you're off your line then you're off your line. These aren't subjective decisions yet people seem to want to blame VAR for getting these kind of decisions right according to the rules. It's not perfect but it's not the devil as some would have you believe.

The problem is that you’re standing in the stadium for five minutes or more, with absolutely no idea what’s going on.

And it’s crap referees correcting a decision made by a crap referee,

Yes, without doubt. It needs to be refined a bit and referees make better decisions with its help but having technology to help refs is obviously a good thing.

The ones arguing against it remind me of Jonathan Pearce in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIj_GlvLD4

It would be brilliant for the game if it was used differently. This stop start checking every tight call isn’t the way to go.
    Could some sort of challenge system be implemented

It's useful when it corrects clear errors like the offside flag which initially disallowed Brazil's goal this evening. It shouldn't be used for decisions which the referee can't decide on a first, or at most second viewing. After that the on-field decision should stand e.g. for the disallowed French goal where the review took several minutes and it was a matter of opinion whether there was a foul.

First Team Breakthrough
    Not a fan, I used to think if it was for offsides or a blatant dive then it might be be a good thing, now it’s just ruining the whole game I fell in love with. The only new introduction I like is goal line technology, quick and easy

@hibs.net private member
    I'm a big fan but like all new technology it needs time to bed in and adapt to how the game is actually played. That includes refs getting more training, quicker decisions and consistency on its use.

Fans have come in expecting it to be perfect straight away but it was always going to take time for such a huge change to win people over.

In 5 years there won't be any debate on this, in the same way no one wants to go back to 2 points for a win or pass backs to the goalkeeper.

We're seeing the game being stopped for VAR to review whether a marginal decision is right or wrong which is ruining the flow of the game.

Keep it for clear and obvious errors, and limit the time the referee can spend looking at it. If the error can't be spotted in the first thirty seconds, then it wasn't clear and obvious so stay with the original call.

I have no problem with the marginal call made on the field being wrong if the alternative is five minutes of freeze frames. That also returns authority to the officials on the pitch, as at the moment they're shirking responsibility in the belief that VAR will sort it out.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Regular
    If a very marginal VAR decision goes for your team you'd probably think it was a good thing. However, if the next marginal goes against your team you might think differently!

Hard to celebrate a goal now. Not for me. Imagine if it was available at the Argentina v England match in 1986 and the hand of God goal was disallowed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Definitely.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Hard to celebrate a goal now. Not for me. Imagine if it was available at the Argentina v England match in 1986 and the hand of God goal was disallowed.
    As would the 1966 winner.

I just wish it had been available in 1966.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Of course it's a good thing. Anything that reduces the number of errors made by referees is to be welcomed. I would definitely refine its implementation, put the video up on the big screen and mic up the ref and the VAR room so that people can hear the rationale behind each decision, but the principle of VAR is good and it's here to stay.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    The goal wouldn't have stood and Argentina would still have won the game. Don't see the relevance to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Of course it's a good thing. Anything that reduces the number of errors made by referees is to be welcomed. I would definitely refine its implementation, put the video up on the big screen and mic up the ref and the VAR room so that people can hear the rationale behind each decision, but the principle of VAR is good and it's here to stay.
    How do you feel about McNulty being offside in the build up to Horgan's first goal at the Tiny PBS?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    How do you feel about McNulty being offside in the build up to Horgan's first goal at the Tiny PBS?
    Probably similar to the way the Hearts fans felt about the Oli Shaw and Leigh Griffiths goals both being ruled out despite both being over the line.