hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You tell me anyone who thought they would stay up and I’d call you a lier, they were doomed when he took over they had a cracking run end of season
    Dundee being honkin’ Saved them. Manager isn’t quite in the Jack Ross Ian Murray miracle worker category.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s not Fitzpatrick that he’s had the apparent falling out with, it’s the chairman.
    Fitzpatrick is just a figurehead, no influence or power whatsoever.
    Chairman sounds like a bit of a rocket, with a habit of making promises he can’t or won’t keep.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Tony Fitzpatrick seems to be a bit too, ahem, hands-on.
    Loved his beligerent interviews years ago "we will never go down, look at the players we have [Victor, etc]"
    They also infamously had Mahrez on trial and he left because it was too cold 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Loved his beligerent interviews years ago "we will never go down, look at the players we have [Victor, etc]"
    They also infamously had Mahrez on trial and he left because it was too cold 😂
    Put in a bid for Ronaldinho back in the day as well......

As has been said only Dundee's appalling season saved St Mirren allied to the fact that Dundee Utd probably aren't much better than they are. From that POV its not really a huge shock to see them going for another manager. Whatever the case you cant accuse their board of under selling the club's potential, they sure as hell seem to have an ultra positive view of what they think it can achieve. Perhaps step one would be to stop setting managers unrealistic goals in unrealistic time frames, stop sacking them all the time and take a long term view of how they get to where they want to be.

Back in the mid 70s they had a real rivalry with Motherwell and I distinctly recall 26,000 turning up at Fir Park for a Scottish cup tie between the two, an incredible crowd at a time when crowds were far worse than they are now … at least 10,000 of that crowd was St Mirren fans so the support is there … how you drag it into the stadium and out of the clutches of the uglies is another matter altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    I think the euphemism is "gardening leave".

It was rumoured earlier that Kearney was unhappy about aspects of the plans for next season, so not a surprise.
    I think he wants out and St Mirren want rid but neither party is prepared to make the financial sacrifice required to make that happen easily or quickly. This could get quite ugly.
    Last edited by Paisley Hibby; 24-06-2019 at 06:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    So two seasons running St Mirren might bin their manager at the starting whistle? If there is an issue about him not staying over here they have had the close season to sort it out surely?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    St Mirren are a terribly run club. Got lucky with Jack Ross.

If be fuming if i were a St Mirren fan. Another season another change of manager and another relegation battle no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    As has been said only Dundee's appalling season saved St Mirren allied to the fact that Dundee Utd probably aren't much better than they are. From that POV its not really a huge shock to see them going for another manager. Whatever the case you cant accuse their board of under selling the club's potential, they sure as hell seem to have an ultra positive view of what they think it can achieve. Perhaps step one would be to stop setting managers unrealistic goals in unrealistic time frames, stop sacking them all the time and take a long term view of how they get to where they want to be.

Back in the mid 70s they had a real rivalry with Motherwell and I distinctly recall 26,000 turning up at Fir Park for a Scottish cup tie between the two, an incredible crowd at a time when crowds were far worse than they are now … at least 10,000 of that crowd was St Mirren fans so the support is there … how you drag it into the stadium and out of the clutches of the uglies is another matter altogether.
    They took one of the biggest, noisiest crowds I've seen to Easter Road in recent years and that was with them battling relegation in the Championship. Their fans were a credit to them that day. They've got a good fanbase.

You tell me anyone who thought they would stay up and I’d call you a lier, they were doomed when he took over they had a cracking run end of season
    they finished where I thought they would, bottom half near the relegation places, they were not that bad under stubbs. so again not worked wonders IMO

Testimonial Due
    If I recollect did he not say when he came in as their manager, "we can win this league", delusional or what, right to send him packing!!
    When people start talking like that, its maybe better to put them out their misery earlier!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    If I recollect did he not say when he came in as their manager, "we can win this league", delusional or what, right to send him packing!!
    When people start talking like that, its maybe better to put them out their misery earlier!!!!!
    Tony Fitzpatrick said this, not the Manager

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What a terribly run club.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Tony Fitzpatrick said this, not the Manager
    A realistic goal for St Mirren is competing for the top six, and an ambitious one would be what Kilmarnock did last season combined with a good cup run.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Looking like it will be Jim Goodwin in the away dugout on the first day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    A realistic goal for St Mirren is competing for the top six, and an ambitious one would be what Kilmarnock did last season combined with a good cup run.
    I think ambitious, for St Mirren, is competing for sixth. A good season would be securing enough points early to guarantee safety and then hanging in with Motherwell, St. Johnstone, and possibly Killie in the race for sixth. Anything greater isn't ambition. It is a pipe dream.

They had played 4 games, won 1, lost to rangers hearts and Livingston. They were hardly doomed at that stage. Kearney won something like 1 out of his first 14 games.