hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Players budget

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar

Players budget

Sorry if I have missed this on another thread.

How can we still have the same budget for paul(leeann, stated this on hibs tv) when we don't have a commercial partner, and now have community partner.

Not critical of the decision but must mean less funds for the manager

2. Log in to remove the advert

No corporate sponsor will mean less money for the club, doesn’t necessarily need to come out of the ‘playing budget’ (wages, transfers etc).

The money has either been generously donated by someone or it’s been lost from other areas of the club. No idea what sort of money is on the table for 1 year shirt sponsorship but if the playing budget isn’t affected and the Foundation is getting some good exposure then I think it’s a good initiative for one season.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

How can we still have the same budget for paul(leeann, stated this on hibs tv) when we don't have a commercial partner, and now have community partner.

And if it doesn't mean less, i.e. the money the fans are throwing at the covers the difference of this commercial loss, then it surely signals a missed opportunity to provide even greater funds for the manager?

I don't see the point in folk on here dissecting Aberdeens revenue streams, and asking why we can't match them, while our club seems intent on shooting itself in the foot,

Id rather have something like the foundation as partner rather than a commercial gambling partner.
    As been said it wont affect the players budget

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    And if it doesn't mean less, i.e. the money the fans are throwing at the covers the difference of this commercial loss, then it surely signals a missed opportunity to provide even greater funds for the manager?

I don't see the point in folk on here dissecting Aberdeens revenue streams, and asking why we can't match them, while our club seems intent on shooting itself in the foot,

It could also have been a great opportunity - once the point was clearly reached when they'd failed to land a commercial sponsor - to encourage many more supporters to join HSL. That would have given the HSL initiative a massive boost with front of strip visibility, helped to grow fan ownership of the club and added to the direct playing budget for PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    No corporate sponsor will mean less money for the club, doesn’t necessarily need to come out of the ‘playing budget’ (wages, transfers etc).

The money has either been generously donated by someone or it’s been lost from other areas of the club. No idea what sort of money is on the table for 1 year shirt sponsorship but if the playing budget isn’t affected and the Foundation is getting some good exposure then I think it’s a good initiative for one season.
    Quoted on another thread as a difference in income of100-200k - Not as big an impact as I’d have thought.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    Quoted on another thread as a difference in income of100-200k - Not as big an impact as I’d have thought.

Per season, so a three year deal (wasn't Marathon Bet 3 seasons?) is worth between £300,000 and £600,000 to the club. That's without cup final bonuses etc.

Being able to bank on either 3 or 6 hundred k over the next three years makes quite a difference, it's certainly a lot of loan repayments or debt interest covered that otherwise has to come from other sources.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Id rather have something like the foundation as partner rather than a commercial gambling partner.
    As been said it wont affect the players budget
    The truth is that it probably means the playing budget wont be cut and that the shortfall is met from other means (McGinn transfer?).

In one sense you can say the playing budget is unaffected. In another sense, however, the playing budget is affected as it could have been increased with the money now used to plug the gap.

I think there are positives from this but let's not kid ourselves that there is absolutely no impact on the playing side. Money which could have gone to the playing side is being diverted elsewhere. That may be something we are prepared to accept (as it is a more noble purpose) but it does raise questions about HSL's position that every penny matters for the playing budget and why they are geared to maximising this but the club is not.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think it's a good thing we are keeping it within the hibs family if you like and helping out our own. Even tho were not a wealthy club but we are willing to maybe take a small hit for a good cause kinda is what hibs class is isn't it?

Also it's no red white and blue so it'll do

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    The truth is that it probably means the playing budget wont be cut and that the shortfall is met from other means (McGinn transfer?).

In one sense you can say the playing budget is unaffected. In another sense, however, the playing budget is affected as it could have been increased with the money now used to plug the gap.

I think there are positives from this but let's not kid ourselves that there is absolutely no impact on the playing side. Money which could have gone to the playing side is being diverted elsewhere. That may be something we are prepared to accept (as it is a more noble purpose) but it does raise questions about HSL's position that every penny matters for the playing budget and why they are geared to maximising this but the club is not.

It strikes me that this is exactly the sort of issue that fan reps should get their teeth into. I'm not sure there is any more important initiative around the club at the minute than HSL for a whole host of reasons. Some transparency and clarity on this, fast, is probably a good idea before it becomes problematic. Perhaps there is a wider context - potential investors having been mentioned elsewhere, though I'm very sceptical about that - and if so I'd rather see this piece of a jigsaw credibly explained than have a ropey line on sponsorship left out there to gather barnacles.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Per season, so a three year deal (wasn't Marathon Bet 3 seasons?) is worth between £300,000 and £600,000 to the club. That's without cup final bonuses etc.

Being able to bank on either 3 or 6 hundred k over the next three years makes quite a difference, it's certainly a lot of loan repayments or debt interest covered that otherwise has to come from other sources.
    Do you know if we will stick with this current sponsorship for the next 3 years?

Epic fail by someone in the commercial department which Hibs have attempted to spin in to a positive. Disappointing when so many fans try to raise 2 or 3 hundred pounds here and there.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Epic fail by someone in the commercial department which Hibs have attempted to spin in to a positive. Disappointing when so many fans try to raise 2 or 3 hundred pounds here and there.
    Obviously this.

We can spin it anyway we want. We’re bringing in less money than we should be. It’s not a good thing.

@hibs.net private member
    That's what I question Brooster. In itself this a great initiative. But, to me, charitable giving is all about motive. If the club are just doing this to spin a corporate failure then it doesn't sit too well with me. If it was a genuine decision to help less fortunate people then I'm behind it. I really hate spin though.

A lot of fans will be giving money to HSL that I am sure they could use elsewhere as they are trying to get the best Hibs team possible on the park. In making this sponsorship decision, the board are going against that. To me, there is now a disjoint between the purposes of HSL and the board.

All that said, it is good if the effect is going to be more money to people who need it.

Agree and posted similar on one of the other threads. Supporters are putting in more money than ever whilst the club struggle to attract a sponsor.

The ‘football’ budget or whatever it’s called isn’t affected in the sense that it isn’t getting reduced on the back of this decision. It does mean it’s not getting increased though. Disappointing.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Only an epic fail if you know how much interest there was from other companies. May be that any offers weren't of a decent commercial level and the club took a decision to take on a more community based approach. It is an interesting one and making a benefit on a more longer term basis e.g the community work inspires other companies to get on board with the club.

@hibs.net private member
    There is a lot of truth in this Brooster...certainly not the outcome the club would have aimed for.

I’m taking at face value that they wanted to get a non alcohol or betting company as main sponsor..so that narrows down the field and likely narrows down the offer value too..seems they have failed to get the right offer made. They will be as disappointed as anyone I suspect

You are right to point out it is disappointing due to the reach for additional funds from HSL...hopefully they will find another way to get cash injection into the club

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post

That would only be true if the sponsorship revenue was or only income stream we have.

If the club can find that revenue elsewhere then we can cope without it. Naturally you'd rather have it than not because it would give us additional funds, but we could be in a position where, for example, the additional income from McGinn's transfer is more than we would have got in sponsorship.

We wouldn't have been able to rely on Villa getting promoted so we likely didn't budget for that money as guaranteed - so right away there's the shortfall been made up and then some.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    Do you know if we will stick with this current sponsorship for the next 3 years?
    No, why?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That would only be true if the sponsorship revenue was or only income stream we have.

If the club can find that revenue elsewhere then we can cope without it. Naturally you'd rather have it than not because it would give us additional funds, but we could be in a position where, for example, the additional income from McGinn's transfer is more than we would have got in sponsorship.

We wouldn't have been able to rely on Villa getting promoted so we likely didn't budget for that money as guaranteed - so right away there's the shortfall been made up and then some.

If we also had the sponsorship money then we'd be up by both unbudgeted McGinn revenue AND sponsor income. I think it's a weak explanation from the club and a net dent in revenue whichever way you look at it.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Even if we do recoup the money elsewhere it’s still not the point IMO. We are now missing out on a revenue stream that every other club in our league will be taking advantage of.

I await the uproar if we miss out on signing Omeonga or McNulty if we can’t stretch the fee by another £150k.
    Last edited by jeffers; 22-06-2019 at 11:31 AM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Obviously this.

We can spin it anyway we want. We’re bringing in less money than we should be. It’s not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    There is a lot of truth in this Brooster...certainly not the outcome the club would have aimed for.

I’m taking at face value that they wanted to get a non alcohol or betting company as main sponsor..so that narrows down the field and likely narrows down the offer value too..seems they have failed to get the right offer made. They will be as disappointed as anyone I suspect

You are right to point out it is disappointing due to the reach for additional funds from HSL...hopefully they will find another way to get cash injection into the club
    I'm not buying that we wouldnt take a gambling ot alcohol sponsor.

Marathon bet chose to end the agreement or we would have kept it going.

And we have a distillery emblazoned on the back of the shirt.

Wonder why we couldnt have Eden Mill on the front as our main sponsor and get them to cough up a bit more?

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    If we also had the sponsorship money then we'd be up by both unbudgeted McGinn revenue AND sponsor income. I think it's a weak explanation from the club and a net dent in revenue whichever way you look at it.
    I opened the thread, and agree 100% with your comments.

I found her interview interesting, she says a lot without saying anything of note and doesn’t really answer the questions m.

Also interesting she refers to it as a test

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    We’re also assuming that we haven’t be paid a marathon bet equivalent by someone to put HCF on the shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I found her interview interesting, she says a lot without saying anything of note and doesn’t really answer the questions m.

Also interesting she refers to it as a test
    I’ve no idea what we’re testing here. Advertising revenue is one of the main things that keeps all types of sport going. It just doesn’t make sense that we should be testing doing without it. Very strange decision or at least a very strange spin on it.

This

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    We’re also assuming that we haven’t be paid a marathon bet equivalent by someone to put HCF on the shirts.

That would be fine by me. They need to say it though because otherwise this threatens HSL.

The up-spin on this is no free tables for yee-has from a corporate sponsor getting on the lash for free at every home game etc... all the associatted costs, so there's more tables to sell to punters.

Maybe.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    The up-spin on this is no free tables for yee-has from a corporate sponsor getting on the lash for free at every home game etc... all the associatted costs, so there's more tables to sell to punters.

Maybe.
    Lol. Very positive spin. Although as they are laying six figures - it’s not a free table is it. It’s quite an expensive one