hibs.net Messageboard

Driving License question

I passed my driving test yesterday

However my address on the provisional has since changed and I have to send it away myself with my pass certificate. Probably a daft question, but am I able to drive in the meantime even though I won't have my license or pass certificate since I have to send them both off to the DVLA?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Obscene Omeonga View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I passed my driving test yesterday

However my address on the provisional has since changed and I have to send it away myself with my pass certificate. Probably a daft question, but am I able to drive in the meantime even though I won't have my license or pass certificate since I have to send them both off to the DVLA?
    Firstly, well done.

Secondly, you have passed your test so you can drive. However, you need to change your details anyway. You have 2 years from passing to change it which is daft, however do it asap.

If you're stopped by the police for any reason you'll get asked from your docs and if you can't produce your DL they'll likely issue at HORT/1 or 'producer' form which gives you 14 days to report to a police station of your choice to show your docs otherwise it's an offence under the road traffic act.

however, most traffic bobbies will understand this situation if you explained it road side and you'd probably get discretion if you weren't arsey about it. I'd certainly let it slide (i dont work traffic tho) as long as you could show me other ID to prove who you were - passport is best, that way they could run checks on you and they'll know you do have a full license. I'd photocopy both your pass doc and the prov.DL and carry those too before you send them away incase the DVLA take longer to update.

I think the DVLA say about 3 weeks for it but depending on demand it could be quicker or longer.

if you have any doubts then phone the DVLA (your best bet) or drop into a police station and ask to speak to a traffic bobby who will tell you 100%.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just Jimmy; 22-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    Firstly, well done.

Secondly, you have passed your test so you can drive. However, you need to change your details anyway. You have 2 years from passing to change it which is daft, however do it asap.

If you're stopped by the police for any reason you'll get asked from your docs and if you can't produce your DL they'll likely issue at HORT/1 or 'producer' form which gives you 14 days to report to a police station of your choice to show your docs otherwise it's an offence under the road traffic act.

however, most traffic bobbies will understand this situation if you explained it road side and you'd probably get discretion if you weren't arsey about it. I'd certainly let it slide (i dont work traffic tho) as long as you could show me other ID to prove who you were - passport is best, that way they could run checks on you and they'll know you do have a full license. I'd photocopy both your pass doc and the prov.DL and carry those too before you send them away incase the DVLA take longer to update.

I think the DVLA say about 3 weeks for it but depending on demand it could be quicker or longer.

if you have any doubts then phone the DVLA (your best bet) or drop into a police station and ask to speak to a traffic bobby who will tell you 100%.

Thats great, thanks. Shame you can't just do it online though.

To further on my question, I am trying to fill out this D1 form but it is confusing me.

I need to change address (I would have done before the test however there was no way my provisional would have got back to me in time for it). So I was told to fill out the D1 and send my provisional and pass certificate with my new address. Which postcode do I send this to as there is 2 seperate ones for changing address and full license? Do I still need to send proof of identity?

To further on my question, I am trying to fill out this D1 form but it is confusing me.

I need to change address (I would have done before the test however there was no way my provisional would have got back to me in time for it). So I was told to fill out the D1 and send my provisional and pass certificate with my new address. Which postcode do I send this to as there is 2 seperate ones for changing address and full license? Do I still need to send proof of identity?
    on that I don't know. I can advise you on law but not that. I'd call the DVLA and ask them to be honest mate.

Go online and check. I take it your are completing the D1 after reading INF1D Booklet which accompanies the application?

All the information should be found within.

If you are still unsure I would contact DVLA (as JJ has mentioned)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    on that I don't know. I can advise you on law but not that. I'd call the DVLA and ask them to be honest mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Go online and check. I take it your are completing the D1 after reading INF1D Booklet which accompanies the application?

All the information should be found within.

If you are still unsure I would contact DVLA (as JJ has mentioned)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers, its not very clear, I've sent it out now so hopefully its in the right place.

You could email DVLA and tell them your predicament. If they reply to you keep the email and produce it in the unlikely event the cops stop you.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Can you not take a photo copy of your pass certificate as temp measure.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Can you not take a photo copy of your pass certificate as temp measure.
    I have done yeah, however upon checking my driving license online it still says provisional so they obviously haven't update it yet.