hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In dreams.
    Posts
    3,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Kamberi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I agree about human rights issues. So does that include USA too? Or are they suitably civilised? Recent history suggests not and there might be reasons to put Russia out too and other European and Asian countries. It's not just so-called developing countries. Tends to be case that if it doesn't affect us directly we ignore what's going on under our own noses.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    No one is innocent but some are less innocent than others.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    6,805
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Platini and hopefully Blatter get done the for the integrity of the sport, they have to take it off Qatar.
    If the Alexander Ceferin takes over the FIFA leadership it might get moved to North Korea or Antarctica.

  4. #33
    Testimonial Due poolman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    in ma jannies office
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    World cup going to a tiny backwards oil rich country and played in the winter. Whole thing stunk from the start.

    Absolutely, total lunacy

    It's the equivalent of bringing the world camel racing championships to Iceland

  5. #34

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely, total lunacy

    It's the equivalent of bringing the world camel racing championships to Iceland
    The fact they had to build 8 stadiums says it all really.

    What are they going to use them for after the world cup?

    A total disgrace.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,514
    There’s no chance it will get moved now that they’ve started building the stadiums. Every award of a World Cup has probably been decided on bribes, Qatar just paid more in bribes than most.
    I remember talking to a an English guy in the taxi a few years ago and he had worked on the early stages of the Qatar bid. They were up against England to host it and I remember him saying that the only people who thought England would win was England. He said it was decided long before the voting had been opened. The bribes range from all expense paid trips for big games around the world, which are considered above board to cash payments which is obviously illegal. Qatar had everyone bought well in advance to know that the vote as a formality.

    United we stand here....

  7. #36
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    11,243
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There’s no chance it will get moved now that they’ve started building the stadiums. Every award of a World Cup has probably been decided on bribes, Qatar just paid more in bribes than most.
    I remember talking to a an English guy in the taxi a few years ago and he had worked on the early stages of the Qatar bid. They were up against England to host it and I remember him saying that the only people who thought England would win was England. He said it was decided long before the voting had been opened. The bribes range from all expense paid trips for big games around the world, which are considered above board to cash payments which is obviously illegal. Qatar had everyone bought well in advance to know that the vote as a formality.
    Absolutely true unfortunately …. Bribes and gifts are just part of the bidding process when it comes to the world cup and as you say Qatar just bribed better than everybody else.

    I don't think its even the bribes and corruption that upset folk who know football, we all know it goes on. What was annoying was that they aren't even bothering to pretend any more …. you couldn't think of a more unsuitable country to host a world cup for so many reasons its too much effort to list them. That's what the police and press thought too and that's why so many of the greedy arrogant buggers who thought they were untouchable are now getting what they deserve, long may it continue.

  8. #37
    Testimonial Due Baader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,358
    Platini was such a beautiful player and I always liked him, thought it was great when he became UEFA president. Be very sad to see him involved but I think it's likely he is probably complicit at best.

    Qatar will host the World Cup, that's not going to change but the whole thing stinks. They had no stadia or infrastructure suitable to host a World Cup in place at the time of bidding. Ireland has a bigger population than Qatar and an established footballing tradition. Does anyone seriously think Ireland could make a solo bid for a World Cup and even be considered by FIFA? It would be laughed out the room... Qatar bought it, pure and simple and FIFA had become so complacent with bribes they thought no-one would question it.
    Last edited by Baader; 18-06-2019 at 11:10 PM.

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't realise that re the USA … or if I did I had forgotten

    The logical choice would be Australia as they are the only country who haven't held it. I don't know, but was their bid centred around existing stadiums or were they in the position of having to build stadiums if their bid was successful? … if it was the latter 3 years is far too short a time frame to start on stadiums now. On that basis England would be a pretty good bet.

    If it was to be the USA can I suggest they keep Diana Ross as far away from it as possible
    A bit harsh on Diana. The keeper was never on his line so VAR could save her next time Not sure she would step up again after the goals split in two and toppled over. Would put a seasoned pro off

  10. #39
    Coaching Staff Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,244
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How are they fixed for oil fields though?
    Think they've got coal and iron ore, and kangaroos. Unsure about oil though.

  11. #40
    First Team Regular Mixu62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Age
    46
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not entirely sure why the Aussie bid failed. Off the top of my head, there are plenty stadiums. There are about 6 across Melbourne and Sydney alone that would be suitable, another 1-2 each in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. How many stadiums are needed?
    I remember seeing something on this subject last year. Apparently FIFA didn't like that they were shared, multi-purpose stadia, and that the main users of them would have to be housed elsewhere for the duration of the tournament. It would be in the middle of NRL and AFL seasons, and there are no purely football (socca!) stadiums in Oz. Plus it would be a Southern Hemisphere tournament so in winter and they've had 2 of those recently in South Africa an Brazil.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    6,805
    Was he arrested for this

  13. #42
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    26,586
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely true unfortunately …. Bribes and gifts are just part of the bidding process when it comes to the world cup and as you say Qatar just bribed better than everybody else.

    I don't think its even the bribes and corruption that upset folk who know football, we all know it goes on. What was annoying was that they aren't even bothering to pretend any more …. you couldn't think of a more unsuitable country to host a world cup for so many reasons its too much effort to list them. That's what the police and press thought too and that's why so many of the greedy arrogant buggers who thought they were untouchable are now getting what they deserve, long may it continue.
    Virtually all of Europe were behind Qatar were they not?

    The best bribery story was that Scottish guy who came to the vote as part of New Zealand FA and ended up voting for another country than he was meant to. Incredibly corrupt.

  14. #43
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Alexander Ceferin takes over the FIFA leadership it might get moved to North Korea or Antarctica.
    North Korea already has the largest stadium in the world (with a 114,000 capacity) plus ten other 30k plus stadiums so why not! I doubt Antarctica would be suitable in the winter though!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved