hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Cairney11's Avatar

Climate change protests

****ing idiots. Doesn’t do anything to help the cause. Half of them are students who were born with a silver spoon up their arse.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Cairney11 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ****ing idiots. Doesn’t do anything to help the cause. Half of them are students who were born with a silver spoon up their arse.
    And blocking an ambulance that was attending an emergency, ****ing muppets 🤬

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Why the **** don’t the police arrest them? Aresholes.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Why the **** don’t the police arrest them? Aresholes.
    That’s what I couldn’t work out. The vids on the forth1 Twitter, looks like they could easily have been moved. Chained arm to arm, but not to anything else. Move the two of them at once. Easy.

@hibs.net private member Cairney11's Avatar
    Imagine it was football fans causing that much f an inconvenience to the public....

Long time until they're back at uni, hope their protests aren't the cause of a tragedy.

Absolute bell ends, send in the riot polis to baton charge them and give them a good kicking.

Nothing encourages folk to use public transport like disrupting folk's use of public transport.

Ask yourself this guys... if there was an asteroid on course to hit the planet in 2050 and government(s) were indifferent to finding a solution... would you support protesters causing maximum disruption to raise awareness?

Most climate change research suggests runaway climate change is on track to hit the threshold at this point. The devastation will be comparable.

I'm not a member of Extinction Rebellion or protesting myself but I understand and ultimately support what they are doing. I think what you see today is the tip of the iceberg and in the coming years these type of protests will only become bigger and more frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeedonald View Post
    Ask yourself this guys... if there was an asteroid on course to hit the planet in 2050 and government(s) were indifferent to finding a solution... would you support protesters causing maximum disruption to raise awareness?

Most climate change research suggests runaway climate change is on track to hit the threshold at this point. The devastation will be comparable.

I'm not a member of Extinction Rebellion or protesting myself but I understand and ultimately support what they are doing. I think what you see today is the tip of the iceberg and in the coming years these type of protests will only become bigger and more frequent.
    I ask you this, if you had a relative that was critically ill and the ambulance was held up by these brainless ****wits how would you feel ?

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    I ask you this, if you had a relative that was critically ill and the ambulance was held up by these brainless ****wits how would you feel ?
    I'd feel the same as anyone else in that situation. Doesn't change the facts though. Any large scale protest or road closure for any other reason could ultimately create a delay in someone receiving treatment.

I agree with their message but their means of getting it out there appear to be having the opposite effect from what their aim should be.

They are just making themselves targets for peoples ire and as such there is a general air of '****ing idiots, I'm not listening to them.'

I have a certain amount of sympathy with their cause, despite being delayed twice today.

However in protesting about climate change have they considered the extra pollution the protest is causing? Own goal?

They're protesting about oil companies. How many oil company people are based in Edinburgh? I'm not sure there's any. So effect on oil companies nil, effect on the population of Edinburgh - enough to turn many against their cause. Own goal at best, probably a sending off too.

The representatives I've heard on the radio don't have local accents, not even Scottish. How did these people get here? I hope it wasn't courtesy of fossil fuels! Another own goal?

It's a protest that fails on so many levels. They're lucky they achieved nil!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I agree with their message but their means of getting it out there appear to be having the opposite effect from what their aim should be.

They are just making themselves targets for peoples ire and as such there is a general air of '****ing idiots, I'm not listening to them.'
    I think the people behind the protests have concluded there is no good way of getting the message out there... peaceful protest wouldn't create any attention and hasn't worked until now. I don't think there is an alternative form of protest at this critical stage.

I'd feel the same as anyone else in that situation. Doesn't change the facts though. Any large scale protest or road closure for any other reason could ultimately create a delay in someone receiving treatment.
    Of course it doesn't change the facts but acting like selfish ****ing tits doesn't garner support either and just creates anger, bearing in mind that they are more than likely pissing off folk that actually support their cause. Why didn't they protest outside the Scottish parliament ?

If protest of this kind continue then more and more people will turn against these people and away from the cause they’re championing. If they try it again I hope the police wade in and arrest and charge every single one of them. There’s ways to try and change government policy and this isn’t one of them. The Scottish government has already declared a climate emergency and plans to be carbon neutral in the near future. What more do these people want?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    I hear Venus doesn't have any issues with traffic. Perhaps all of the angry dads in their cars should move there instead, seeing as extreme global warming isn't an issue for them.

First Team Breakthrough
    I had to take a detour on my bicycle, the irony was t completely lost on me!
    Also the “protest” appeared to be a handful of middle-aged Hippies joined together with loo roll

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

Climate change protests

How do you get the government to change things?

You get the people angry.

Are people angry about climate change and joining in? No really. A wee bit, but not really.

Will people get angrier and angrier with the protesters if it keeps happening? Absolutely.

How do you stop the protestors?

Make the government wake up and realise the reality and change their ways.

Then you have happy protestors and a happy population.

So far peaceful and non disruptive movements haven’t achieved anything.

So what are people’s suggestions in terms of changing things?
    Because the status quo is not working.

People say, ‘it’s not the way to get people on board with your message’

No it’s not. But neither is what has come before.
    So does it matter if folk are getting on board? Not really.

People just want them gone.

Declaring a climate emergency whilst simultaneously allowing Total to start ripping oil/gas out of the north sea doesn’t seem like the govt are taking things seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    I hear Venus doesn't have any issues with traffic. Perhaps all of the angry dads in their cars should move there instead, seeing as extreme global warming isn't an issue for them.
    Earth will end up exactly the same as Venus if not worse. Nothing the human race do will be able to stop that.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    If they had protested outside the parliament with a little banner and chanted a bit nobody would have paid a blind bit of notice of them.
    Their protests over the last few weeks have been a runaway success if forcing climate change up the agenda.
    Good on them I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    If they had protested outside the parliament with a little banner and chanted a bit nobody would have paid a blind bit of notice of them.
    Their protests over the last few weeks have been a runaway success if forcing climate change up the agenda.
    Good on them I say.
    We (NHS) protested outside the parliament with our wee flags and banners and chanted and got our 9% wage rise, we didnt act like ****ing muppets by sitting on the road though

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Earth will end up exactly the same as Venus if not worse. Nothing the human race do will be able to stop that.
    I agree it will happen eventually. But it hardly needs our help speeding the process up. Why make something happen in 100 years when it can take a billion years instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    We (NHS) protested outside the parliament with our wee flags and banners and chanted and got our 9% wage rise, we didnt act like ****ing muppets by sitting on the road though
    There were considerably more people involved and the media were all over it like a rash. Which is a sad state of affairs really, when people care far more about obtaining paper rectangles than they do about sustaining life on this planet for generations to come.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Whilst I sympathise with the cause, they're only alienating people from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Whilst I sympathise with the cause, they're only alienating people from it.
    What's worse. Raising awareness through alienation? Or not raising awareness at all?

If they have to force people to pay attention, then so be it.

What's worse. Raising awareness through alienation? Or not raising awareness at all?

If they have to force people to pay attention, then so be it.
    I think most folks are well aware that there is a big discussion on climate change. Some think it's man made, some think it's a naturally occurring warming up cycle, some think it's a mixture of both and some deny it completely. The Scottish government have even declared a climate emergency, a handful of attention seeking ****ers aren't going to win people over to the cause by chaining themselves together and disrupting traffic in the capital city of one of the countries leading the fight against climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I think most folks are well aware that there is a big discussion on climate change. Some think it's man made, some think it's a naturally occurring warming up cycle, some think it's a mixture of both and some deny it completely. The Scottish government have even declared a climate emergency, a handful of attention seeking ****ers aren't going to win people over to the cause by chaining themselves together and disrupting traffic in the capital city of one of the countries leading the fight against climate change.
    I don't think they can win people over anyway, regardless of what they do. So the best they can do is piss people off about it until real changes are made. They're not trying to make friends here. They've tried that already and it hasn't worked. All they can do is try and force it through pressure instead. Nothing else has worked.

I don't think they can win people over anyway, regardless of what they do. So the best they can do is piss people off about it until real changes are made. They're not trying to make friends here. They've tried that already and it hasn't worked. All they can do is try and force it through pressure instead. Nothing else has worked.
    I think you may be overestimating the value of pissing people off to win them over for your cause. In fact I'd go as far as to say that logic makes no sense whatsoever.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The suffragettes pissed a lot of people off, but if they hadn't, when would they have been given a vote?

Women in Portugal weren't allowed to vote until 1976! Saudi Arabia women voted for the first time in 2015!

When the UK would have changed the legislature if it wasn't for the suffragettes and Emily Davidson killing herself under the king's horse is anyone's guess.

Direct action is sometimes the only way to get heard.