hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Reserve league

Left by mutual consent!

Reserve league

That’s Rangers as well as the Sheep the latest to quit the league. What a farce the SPFL are.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s Rangers as well as the Sheep the latest to quit the league. What a farce the SPFL are.
    The SPFL is owned and run by the member clubs. Maybe the reserve league works fine for some clubs but not others - I don't see what's farcical about it.

Are we going to see the lower divisions packed full of significantly more loan players? it could make life a bit easier for smaller teams financially but would bump part-time guys out of the senior leagues.

Or will the SPFL come back with a revised format? A smaller league for the top teams, maybe.

Certainly not a good reflection on the working group, including Malky Mackay, that took 18 months to dream up a system that the clubs are unhappy with.

Reserves work when there's a good mix of older and younger players, problem was it was still used as a development league so the younger lads didn't get the competition they need at that age to develop. Loaning players out didn't do any harm for Riordan, O'Connor, Hanlon and Stevenson.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I’ll miss my midweek fix if we’re playing away in england☹️

Listening to the official rationale of choosing our own opponents and using other clubs to loan our players out for development made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Reserves work when there's a good mix of older and younger players, problem was it was still used as a development league so the younger lads didn't get the competition they need at that age to develop. Loaning players out didn't do any harm for Riordan, O'Connor, Hanlon and Stevenson.
    Don't think Stevenson ever went out on Loan?

In addition, I think Hanlon got about 2 games at St Johnstone, and Riordan about 7 with Cowdenbeath, don't think their loan spells were really all that make or break.

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t know why the reserve teams can’t play in the lower leagues like they do in Spain. You would have to say the couldn’t go higher than say league 1 but it would be meaningful competition at a decent level for youngsters and unused players.

I think it’s a win win for everyone involved. The lower leagues get a bit more glamour and maybe higher attendances through a premier league A team coming which might contain some stars.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The SPFL is owned and run by the member clubs. Maybe the reserve league works fine for some clubs but not others - I don't see what's farcical about it.
    Fixture changes and congestion was the main reason for a lot of clubs. No time for proper preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Don't think Stevenson ever went out on Loan?

In addition, I think Hanlon got about 2 games at St Johnstone, and Riordan about 7 with Cowdenbeath, don't think their loan spells were really all that make or break.
    I thought Lewis did, thanks for that info

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’ll miss my midweek fix if we’re playing away in england☹️
    Not the same I know but I'd presume Hibs TV will have the full match replays having started doing them recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    I don’t know why the reserve teams can’t play in the lower leagues like they do in Spain. You would have to say the couldn’t go higher than say league 1 but it would be meaningful competition at a decent level for youngsters and unused players.

I think it’s a win win for everyone involved. The lower leagues get a bit more glamour and maybe higher attendances through a premier league A team coming which might contain some stars.
    It's a shocking idea and one that hopefully never happens. Lower league fans have no interest in watching reserve teams and the attendances for games with the premiership youth teams in the challenge cup have been terrible. All it would do is probably piss off enough people that would end up with some smaller teams going under