hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Hibs sold?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is any investment happening then I sincerely hope that it is a simple cash injection into the current set up and not some sort of takeover.

Hibs are a well run club with a superb infrastructure. In Leann Dempster we have possibly the best Chief Executive in Scottish football. I would rather see an investor give the money to the club and let her decide how best to utilise it.

Some at the training centre = full size indoor pitch

Some at the stadium = PA system, general refurbishment

And some on the playing squad = transfer fees, slightly higher wages, better quality players

I can see exactly why Hibs are a decent investment opportunity. Apart from the indoor pitch, there is no major infrastructure needing built. There is little in the way of debt. The balance sheet is very healthy. Therefore, most of the investment could go on improving the playing squad.

Unlike most investments/takeovers that have to deal with the mess the club is in before making any significant difference on the pitch.

Currently I think that it is just a social media story that is out of hand but would be delighted to be proved wrong.
    A far sighted investor may be looking at a British or European league of the future where Edinburgh would have representation. Clearly not the crack pots from the other side of the city so would be us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'd love a multi billionaire to buy us and make us invincible for a few years, 10-20 years of winning things would do me just fine.

Even if it all went tits up after that, and we had to start from scratch in the lowlands league, i'd settle for all that.

I'm 60 next birthday, what happens in 20 years wont really matter to me, and as we've seen with the bigots and the diets, once you are ****ed, theres always someone there to get you up and running and back into the top league.

Selfish, yes, but so what i say.
    Pretty much where I am with it too.

I’ve had enough plucky defeat to last me the rest of my life.

So all conquering victory years would be just the ticket round about now.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    A far sighted investor may be looking at a British or European league of the future where Edinburgh would have representation. Clearly not the crack pots from the other side of the city so would be us.
    This is an interesting hypothesis. One which may make sense as football is changing rapidly

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    How cheap a buy would Hibs be relative to selling Easter Road for redevelopment and moving to the periphery of town for someone looking for a profitable deal??

Anyway Barclay Brothers, no. Not their bag and not at their age.

Billionaire investor from elsewhere? No chance, no reward in it and Scottish Leagues offer next to no potential. Unless you're looking for a cheap to buy club in a league that would regularly allow you to qualify for Champions League because the competition is so weak. Again though, that would have to be a vanity project because it would bleed you millions and millions at a very fast rate.

My money is on either a) cobblers or b) gigantic mountain from molehill.

If it sounds too good to be true then it's too good to be true. That's how con artists make a living, selling you the impossible dream.
    Which is why getting over 30% of the club into supporters hands cant happen soon enough.

As for vanity projects .. Apart from the likes of the late Jack walker at Blackburn Rovers what acquisition of a football club by an owner with no emotional connection to it isn't a vanity project?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Totally agree. I’ve been supporting Hibs since the mid 60’s and could never have imagined how loose the rules could become to allow blatant financial cheating to buy silverware and dominance. Our neighbours had 20 years of spending huge amounts of money they never had, from Robinson to Romanov. In that time they had a significant amount of success both in derbies, Europe and trophies which remain unchallenged in the history books. It’s a disgraceful joke what they got away with but my Jambo mates my age say it was the best time they ever had and are certain they’ll never have it again in their lifetime. They don’t give a fk when I challenge them on the cheating.

In comparison to that, I think Hibs are in a much stronger position to take on any large investor if it were ever to be on the table and I’d welcome it.
    Hearts have never had success in Europe. They are far too parochial and narrow-minded to broaden their horizons. They only concern themselves with being one-up on their neighbours: us.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    And yet. I'm not saying I would stop following Hibs and I'm sure I'd be seduced by all the shinny trophies and excitement but is this not the kind of stuff we've been giving Hearts pelters about for years?

What happens to the club when these guys lose interest or pass away?

What does it mean to support Hibs? If success is what matters shouldn't we all follow Celtic or Liverpool or Barcelona?

Seeing us win the Scottish Cup was one of the greatest moments of my life. Not just the success but the fact we earned it. This was cathartic, a victory based on failure, suffering and pain which gives it all the more meaning when the club gets itself up off the floor, keeps going and, against the odds, actually wins.

I don't envy Man City fans or Celtic fans or PSG fans. It's maybe a cliche but football has lost its soul at the top end. For me unless the circumstances are right this is akin to making a deal with the devil. And that never ends well.
    we’re definitely in the minority mate but for what little it’s worth, I totally agree with you.

im not saying there’s anything to be proud of in glorious failure but for me the easier trophies are attained (ie by throwing money at it) the less honorable and ultimately enjoyable it is. It’s why 2016 felt so, so good.

I will continue to support HSL and hope we get a 26% blocking vote to keep our wonderful old club out of the clutches of those who would do it harm.

I think this sounds extremely unlikely but I’ve suffered decades of mostly mediocrity so I’d be up for buying some success, provided there were some guarantees over the future sustainability of the club if new owners lost interest or died.

Add me to the 60+ brigade who want 15+ years of winning cups an European football, far too many years of mediocrity.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I for one thoroughly look forward to seeing Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahan hold the Hibs scarf aloft at Easter Road in a month or so time.

Bring it on. Mbappe can play the Ivan Sproule role.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    The seagull protection society would never allow it
    Seagull farm it is then, we'll have a head start on the competition.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    I posted the same much earlier in this thread and it’s the only thing that would lend any legitimacy to the otherwise strange idea that anyone with massive fortunes to spare would invest in Scottish football. There will be big changes around the traditional structure and governance of football in the next few years. Big clubs don’t meed International football or bodies like Fifa and Uefa. What they do want is money, money money, ah haaaaaaaaaaa.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'd love a multi billionaire to buy us and make us invincible for a few years, 10-20 years of winning things would do me just fine.

Even if it all went tits up after that, and we had to start from scratch in the lowlands league, i'd settle for all that.

I'm 60 next birthday, what happens in 20 years wont really matter to me....

Selfish, yes, but so what i say.
    So just to be clear, as long as a would be savior throws a few quid around for a few years, you wouldn’t care if a generation down the line when you might not be around any more, they or their successors walk out leaving a shell of a club, bankrupt and facing liquidation, with devastated, broken hearted future hibees everywhere. You wouldn’t care as long as you get to see a few shiny pots being raised in your twilight years? Aye, selfish sounds about right.

admittedly that’s an extremely pessimistic and melodramatic outlook on what could happen but there are enough rotting corpses of clubs scattered throughout football history to suggest it’s not entirely far fetched.

investment in Hibs is not a bad thing. But I’d like to know exactly what’s on the table before grabbing it with both hands. Once the family silver is sold it’s gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    How cheap a buy would Hibs be relative to selling Easter Road for redevelopment and moving to the periphery of town for someone looking for a profitable deal??

Anyway Barclay Brothers, no. Not their bag and not at their age.

Billionaire investor from elsewhere? No chance, no reward in it and Scottish Leagues offer next to no potential. Unless you're looking for a cheap to buy club in a league that would regularly allow you to qualify for Champions League because the competition is so weak. Again though, that would have to be a vanity project because it would bleed you millions and millions at a very fast rate.

My money is on either a) cobblers or b) gigantic mountain from molehill.

If it sounds too good to be true then it's too good to be true. That's how con artists make a living, selling you the impossible dream.
    The number of flats you could build on top of the site, and the prices you’d get for them wouldn’t make that a profitable endeavour.

If you really wanted something like that, I’d imagine buying out the factories down the street and building there would be cheaper / less hassle.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    So just to be clear, as long as a would be savior throws a few quid around for a few years, you wouldn’t care if a generation down the line when you might not be around any more, they or their successors walk out leaving a shell of a club, bankrupt and facing liquidation, with devastated, broken hearted future hibees everywhere. You wouldn’t care as long as you get to see a few shiny pots being raised in your twilight years? Aye, selfish sounds about right.

admittedly that’s an extremely pessimistic and melodramatic outlook on what could happen but there are enough rotting corpses of clubs scattered throughout football history to suggest it’s not entirely far fetched.

investment in Hibs is not a bad thing. But I’d like to know exactly what’s on the table before grabbing it with both hands. Once the family silver is sold it’s gone forever.
    It's okay we could just form again and buy our history.

This

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    The number of flats you could build on top of the site, and the prices you’d get for them wouldn’t make that a profitable endeavour.

If you really wanted something like that, I’d imagine buying out the factories down the street and building there would be cheaper / less hassle.
    An investment with upgrades to facilities and training centre for large return if Hibs can find the next Mcginn, Fraser Murray, Ryan Porteous..

There has been movement recently in more value in Scottish players going South.

Who knows what terms and clauses are being negotiated..

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post

I think the old wisharts building at the back of the F5 was sounded out by an investor looking to knock it down and stick up flats, but it was rejected early on and now some car accident reapair place is there. I agree, there is no way anyone would be looking to build on top of E.R when ther eis plenty, cheaper and less Hassel buildings to buy in the area for building flats.

@hibs.net private member
    we’re definitely in the minority mate but for what little it’s worth, I totally agree with you.

im not saying there’s anything to be proud of in glorious failure but for me the easier trophies are attained (ie by throwing money at it) the less honorable and ultimately enjoyable it is. It’s why 2016 felt so, so good.

I will continue to support HSL and hope we get a 26% blocking vote to keep our wonderful old club out of the clutches of those who would do it harm.
    Yup. At the moment it's all pie in the sky so I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist but I'd been taking a very hard look at who was putting money in and why.

I've been following Hibs for over 25 years, not as long as some on here I'll admit but I want this club to be around for me and future generations. I want that to be a club that has roots in the community, an identity, a moral compass and some anchoring to the people of Leith and Edinburgh.

Those things could still be happen with an absent, billionaire owner but I wouldn't sacrifice the future and soul of the club for a few years of gloating off the back of someone else's immorally earned fortune. Where's the fun in that?

Investment by some billionaire sounds amazing but In Scottish football when does it actually work out?

Hearts had relative success for a couple of years before turning into a shambles and getting relegated.

Dundee have American investors and they’re relegated.

Gretna? We know what happened there.

We would have to spend an unbelievable amount to even come close to winning the league, it would cripple us even trying as Celtic are that rich they could inject more at will.

A little cash injection which would allow us to be the best of the rest and have a chance of splitting the old firm or a shot at cups would be brilliant for me.

I don’t want the club to lose its identity, one of my favourite parts of being a hibs fan is watching fellow fans able to play for their club and work their way up through the ranks. I wouldn’t want us shelling out a fortune or becoming like the English Premiership which is a complete joke of a league.

Also, Hibernian is a football club and has been for a long time, I wouldn’t wish a 10-15 year golden patch if it then crushed the club.

What’s the saying? The name on the front is bigger than the name on the back, that goes for fans too.

I want us to be successful for the foreseeable and would hate to think at any time we would go into liquidation etc.

Fwiw, I think with the current structure in play and sell of McGinn we are going to get pretty close to being best of the rest. We are in a strong position financially, have a great stadium and training centre, we also have great backroom staff.

Slight cash injection for players/HTC/stadium - yes
    Major billionaire overhaul - No

Promising Youngster Blocks Biloxi's Avatar

Me too. You can't buy what happened in 2016 with money. That was blood, sweat, tears, and pure emotion.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    When LD attended a St Pat's branch meeting a few months back, she mentioned that the Club had attended an event in Ireland and had delivered a presentation to business people. I think it was Dublin Chamber of Commerce. The aim was to promote the Club in Ireland and seek income streams/investment.

Maybe something has come out of that?

Given the Clubs origins and identity there is clearly the potential for interest from Irish based investors.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocks Biloxi View Post
    Me too. You can't buy what happened in 2016 with money. That was blood, sweat, tears, and pure emotion.
    Yep. We don't have many trophies in the cabinet but my word, every single one of those were earned.

Winning the Championship didn't feel that satisfying as we were runaway favourites. That's what winning anything in the future would be like if we were to have huge funds pumped in.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Are we starting a wind farm?
    No but Hearts are starting a wand firm for their manager.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Yep. We don't have many trophies in the cabinet but my word, every single one of those were earned.

Winning the Championship didn't feel that satisfying as we were runaway favourites. That's what winning anything in the future would be like if we were to have huge funds pumped in.
    No it wouldn't. Because we would be on a level playing field with Celtic and Rangers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    When LD attended a St Pat's branch meeting a few months back, she mentioned that the Club had attended an event in Ireland and had delivered a presentation to business people. I think it was Dublin Chamber of Commerce. The aim was to promote the Club in Ireland and seek income streams/investment.

Maybe something has come out of that?

Given the Clubs origins and identity there is clearly the potential for interest from Irish based investors.
    Whether or not this story has any legs or not, it's imperative that the club should seek and be open to investment. Our direct rivals have there own versions of HSL and that's great but Aberdeen and Hearts haven't been slow in activity canvassing for privet/businesses investment, and with great success by the sounds of it.
    We have to continually strive to improve and maintain the highest standards.
    The game is changing, all weather indoor pitches for example are now a must for any leading club. Celtic have just sought planning permission to redevelope Barrowfields into a full size indoor arena.
    The stadium should be continually improved and upgraded where possible. None of this is cheap, never mind signing galacticos, just to keep pace off the field costs serious dough.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Yup. At the moment it's all pie in the sky so I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist but I'd been taking a very hard look at who was putting money in and why.

I've been following Hibs for over 25 years, not as long as some on here I'll admit but I want this club to be around for me and future generations. I want that to be a club that has roots in the community, an identity, a moral compass and some anchoring to the people of Leith and Edinburgh.

Those things could still be happen with an absent, billionaire owner but I wouldn't sacrifice the future and soul of the club for a few years of gloating off the back of someone else's immorally earned fortune. Where's the fun in that?
    Totally agree with this and Pagans post. Long term stability and keeping tradition and community roots > short term success. Everyone, me included, wants more silverware but the nothings worth selling our soul for.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by swindonhibs View Post
    Totally agree with this and Pagans post. Long term stability and keeping tradition and community roots > short term success. Everyone, me included, wants more silverware but the nothings worth selling our soul for.
    100 percent...we should only want an investor who has the long term clubs best interest at heart....so glad we have never sold our soul for short term success like the yams have in the past

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stephen Ross being mentioned now?

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Stephen Ross being mentioned now?
    Who is he ?

Miami Dolphins owner.