hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: David Turnbull

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was McStay winning things though? I always remember him as an over-rated player in an average Celtic team. Always thought John Collins was the better of the two. He did play for Celtic, English Premiership and in Europe. Who had the better career?
    McStay was a tremendous footballer, no doubt about it. For the second half of his career Celtic were in serious decline and Rangers were enjoying the flamboyant spending of money they never really had under Murray. Foe much of the early-mid 90’s Celtic were living out of the biscuit tin. McStay could have and probably should have left left them.

Comparison with Scott Brown in terms of trophies are hard to judge. I just read that Michael Lustig is leaving Celtic with 16 trophies. Clearly the current level of competition is a bit weaker than it was in the 80’s when Dundee Utd and Aberdeen offered a challenge.

In terms of footballing ability McStay pisses all over Brown. Different type of players though. The Collins comparison is more valid. What seems telling to me is that Collins couldn’t play with McStay in central mid and couldn’t force his way in ahead of him there. Maybe McStay was less versatile.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Think you're doing him a disservice. He could easily have went down and played for far bigger clubs.
    Firstly, loads of folk don't want to move away from home regardless of the money or opportunities on offer. Most people on this board could benefit their careers by moving, but the vast majority don't.

Secondly, I'm always surprised at the number of people who don't want the best Scottish players to stay in our league, but are then quick to slag off anyone who says that the EPL is a great league.

Many of those same people take great offence when someone suggests that the standard of football and our league is poor. Well, of course it is if every decent player grabs the first opportunity to get out with both hands.

I'm happy that Liam Henderson is doing well in Italy, but I wish he was playing in the SPFL. The same goes for Andy Robertson, SJM, Scott McTominay and all our best players.

Finally, the success Scott Brown has had with Celtic is incredible. We sniff at the treble treble because Celtic are so much stronger and richer than their opponents in Scotland, but, like Lewis Stevenson at Hibs, Scott Brown has held his place in that side, regardless of their strength in the transfer market.

A few years fighting relegation with Newcastle or Everton would have made him even richer, but it wouldn't have been so rewarding otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Think you're doing him a disservice. He could easily have went down and played for far bigger clubs.
    I think he could have.

I respect his decision not to and still think he's had a good career in spite of not trying his luck down South.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't think Scott Brown will have any regrets, rightly in my opinion.
    Agree completely, some people don't want to move away from home and there's nothing wrong with that.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Firstly, loads of folk don't want to move away from home regardless of the money or opportunities on offer. Most people on this board could benefit their careers by moving, but the vast majority don't.

Secondly, I'm always surprised at the number of people who don't want the best Scottish players to stay in our league, but are then quick to slag off anyone who says that the EPL is a great league.

Many of those same people take great offence when someone suggests that the standard of football and our league is poor. Well, of course it is if every decent player grabs the first opportunity to get out with both hands.

I'm happy that Liam Henderson is doing well in Italy, but I wish he was playing in the SPFL. The same goes for Andy Robertson, SJM, Scott McTominay and all our best players.

Finally, the success Scott Brown has had with Celtic is incredible. We sniff at the treble treble because Celtic are so much stronger and richer than their opponents in Scotland, but, like Lewis Stevenson at Hibs, Scott Brown has held his place in that side, regardless of their strength in the transfer market.

A few years fighting relegation with Newcastle or Everton would have made him even richer, but it wouldn't have been so rewarding otherwise.
    What’s your point about the likes of Robertson playing in the SPFL? That we would have top class players playing in our league? That might not be the case. Sometimes they need to go to a higher level in order to develop. Robertson is playing at a much higher level now than he was at Dundee Utd, and I mean in terms of play, ability, etc. rather than standard of league. I’m not so sure he would be anywhere near that level had he stayed in Scotland.

Ideally they would go away, come back after a few years having developed and learned and this would drive up the quality of the SPFL. Unfortunately, Scottish clubs are then priced out or they come back too late in their careers.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    What’s your point about the likes of Robertson playing in the SPFL? That we would have top class players playing in our league? That might not be the case. Sometimes they need to go to a higher level in order to develop. Robertson is playing at a much higher level now than he was at Dundee Utd, and I mean in terms of play, ability, etc. rather than standard of league. I’m not so sure he would be anywhere near that level had he stayed in Scotland.

Ideally they would go away, come back after a few years having developed and learned and this would drive up the quality of the SPFL. Unfortunately, Scottish clubs are then priced out or they come back too late in their careers.
    I understand all of that.

I'm just pleased when the occasional player, like Brown, decides to stay, even if it is with Celtic.

Losing our best players all the time is one of the reasons that the league is poor and there's no remedy for that on the way.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Signing for Celtc after all.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Boo!

Looks like his agent has played a blinder there. Will probably be on more than was originally offered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Looks like his agent has played a blinder there. Will probably be on more than was originally offered
    Must have been a more fantasticer offer😀!

Quite strange.

All non-Celtic fans think be’s a dick for changing his mind and Celtic fans think he’s a dick because they ‘never wanted him anyway’. 😊

The Celtc fans will say he's a magnificent signing with a lot to offer.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The Celtc fans will say he's a magnificent signing with a lot to offer.
    Now they will yes

Lennons coat must be on a wobbly peg. Celtic fans were only just saying they were delighted they pulled the plug and Turnbull wasn't good enough for them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Lennons coat must be on a wobbly peg. Celtic fans were only just saying they were delighted they pulled the plug and Turnbull wasn't good enough for them.
    Celtc fans said same about SJM. Benchwarmer at best!! Arrogant & ignorant!

Complete cluster**** of a situation

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Celtc fans said same about SJM. Benchwarmer at best!! Arrogant & ignorant!
    That’s how they like to comfort themselves when it comes to SJM. They know fine well he’d have been a regular for them.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    That’s how they like to comfort themselves when it comes to SJM. They know fine well he’d have been a regular for them.
    He’d have been the perfect replacement for Scott Brown and he could have built a legacy with them. He’d have been more than just a regular.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post

A wee Lenny meltdown would liven up pre season no end!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    A chance to go to play in one of the top leagues and some of the best players in the world, or spend a Tuesday night sitting on a bench in Dingwall...

Whoever's advising this laddie has utterly failed him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    A chance to go to play in one of the top leagues and some of the best players in the world, or spend a Tuesday night sitting on a bench in Dingwall...

Back to Motherwell on loan I think will be part of the agreement. Either way it’s better than Norwich under 23s then loaned to Yeovil.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar

You don't pay that sort of money for a bench warmer. If celtic are paying that, they're paying for someone who plays every week.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    How do people know so much about this lad as to make such dire predictions about his future? I knew very little of him throughout the season, I was aware of him but certainly didn't realise that he'd made such a big impact at Well.

Given his scoring prowess it seems like he has every chance of making it at Celtic - as another poster has said, £3M upfront is a big outlay for Celtic these days. They're not paying that just to augment their squad.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Back to Motherwell on loan I think will be part of the agreement. Either way it’s better than Norwich under 23s then loaned to Yeovil.
    I'd hope Celtc realise the need for the laddie to keep playing to develop. If they approach Turnbull the same way they did Christie, it'll be a win-win for all parties involved. If he's left to rot on their bench, they'll completely ruin him.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    You don't pay that sort of money for a bench warmer. If celtic are paying that, they're paying for someone who plays every week.
    I absolutely hope you're correct. He has the potential to be a fabulous young player - one of a small cohort of exciting young Scottish prospects, and I hope Celtc give him the chance to flourish.

I just don't see it though - not with Lenny at the helm under the pressure of delivering 10 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    A wee Lenny meltdown would liven up pre season no end!
    It'll come at some point just a matter of when

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Turnbull does look a top prospect, whether he fulfills that potential depends on how much game time he gets. You can’t have too many good youngsters coming through but annoying he plays in a position we’re well stocked in and isn’t a centre back, right back or a forward that we desperately need.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Unless Mcgregor is off. 4 years at Celtic winning trophies and instilling a proper winners mentality could see him set up for a much bigger club than Norwich.

Also, the lad is going to find it much harder to get a regular game in the EPL than the SPFL. The loan option has been mentioned, he can pick up a Celtic salary whims t back out on loan in Scotland, close to home, still developing as a player regular football. Christie seems to have done well out of his move

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    How do people know so much about this lad as to make such dire predictions about his future? I knew very little of him throughout the season, I was aware of him but certainly didn't realise that he'd made such a big impact at Well.

Given his scoring prowess it seems like he has every chance of making it at Celtic - as another poster has said, £3M upfront is a big outlay for Celtic these days. They're not paying that just to augment their squad.
    Don't think it would be that up front no doubt a string of payments over 3 years or so.

@hibs.net private member
    Deal could be off again. Issue identified in his medical

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Deal could be off again. Issue identified in his medical
    I have a feeling in my wishbones this Guy destined for Easter Road said last season he looks the real deal 👍🏾