hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Turnbull

David Turnbull

Hopefully not another promising youngster having his potential ripped away from him at the graveyard that is Parkhead.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    They're not spending 3m on squad filler. He'll play.

Guess Celtic have learned their lesson about lowballing, as £3 million to another Scottish team for a player with less than 40 games under his belt is quite un-Celtic.

Good player undoubtedly.

Quality player, can't believe he didn't break through until this season, he'll get game time at Celtic.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Mcgregor has been linked with a few clubs down South, Leicester especially.

I wonder if this is his long term replacement.

To be fair Celtic have sold several players to the EPL and made a fortune so could easily happen here also.

Didn't realise he had 15 goals in 31 games last season. That is some going, especially for a team out with the top 6.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mcgregor has been linked with a few clubs down South, Leicester especially.

I wonder if this is his long term replacement.

I think that’s quite possible.

As said above, Celtc were obviously stung by their stupid low balling over Mcginn last summer and have changed strategy.

Coaching Staff
    Funny how Celtc didn't want to pay for John McGinn, full international regular and double cup winner, but are willing to pay £3M for a player that's had a bright start to his career but is otherwise unproven.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Funny how Celtc didn't want to pay for John McGinn, full international regular and double cup winner, but are willing to pay £3M for a player that's had a bright start to his career but is otherwise unproven.
    They did want McGinn and matched Villas bid.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Fingers burnt and got pelters for their SJM handling.

They have loads in the bank, so perhaps have decided not to be idiots again.

He is a good player, dont think its a gamble

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I think the McGinn story has taught them a lesson about not going in hard with Scottish clubs when a much bigger market exists next door.

I'll be honest and say I didn't know who he was until about march but it's good money for Motherwell.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    They did want McGinn and matched Villas bid.

Only once they realised Hibs weren’t bluffing!

By that stage, McGinn had already been down to Birmingham and it was far too late.

Disappointed by this.

Seems Celtic might’ve learned from their McGinn errors though.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Also he just scored as many goals (16) in 29 SPL starts, as SJM managed in three seasons for us - two of which were in the Championship.

There's obviously so much more to McGinn's game, but midfielders with those kind of scoring ratios tend to go for decent money.

EDIT: just noticed it's 15 goals, Soccerbase has included a Challenge Cup game for Motherwell U20s

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    A player Motherwell could have built a decent team around, but with the money they get for him, they should be able to invest it again. Fair play to Celtc for actually coughing up a decent bit of money for this young lad.

Like others, I just hope he gets a chance to play and flourish similar to McGinn, and doesn't become another Riordan, Killen, Allan, Ciftci etc...Turnbull has the potential to be one of Scotland's best future prospects - but he needs game time and development - something I hope he'll get at Lennoxtown.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Only once they realised Hibs weren’t bluffing!

By that stage, McGinn had already been down to Birmingham and it was far too late.
    True. They still wanted him though.

I think this is great business by Celtic. He looks like an outstanding talent. Scoring at that rate from midfield in a bottom 6 team at 19 years old is pretty amazing, especially when his all round play is as good as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    Guess Celtic have learned their lesson about lowballing, as £3 million to another Scottish team for a player with less than 40 games under his belt is quite un-Celtic.

Good player undoubtedly.
    I suspect they can't afford to take the risk after last year. Not only is SJM now out of their price and wage range, other English clubs will be thinking what other Scottish players could be worth having a look at after the performance of SJM last season with Villa.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Celtic had an initial bid of £2m rejected, they obviously decided that they weren’t mucking about this time and decided to pay the going rate.Have they learned from missing out on McGinn? I very much doubt it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Celtic had an initial bid of £2m rejected, they obviously decided that they weren’t mucking about this time and decided to pay the going rate.Have they learned from missing out on McGinn? I very much doubt it.
    Think Motherwell are after a few Celtic players on loan

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think Motherwell are after a few Celtic players on loan
    Be a decent return for them, asking for Johnston or Morgan on loan, think more chance of the latter

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Be a decent return for them, asking for Johnston or Morgan on loan, think more chance of the latter
    I’d agree, can’t see Morgan making it at Celtic

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    True. They still wanted him though.

Of course they wanted him but not as much as Aston Villa did. Villa paid the asking price, agreed to the clauses of the contract etc and the deal was finalised with them. From the start Celtic refused to meet our asking price only until McGinn was offski down south for talks with Villa that they decided to match it. I remember some Celtic fans on social media claiming that we were holding back the player from his dream and they would sign him for nout when his contract expired. Even some of them mentioned, he’d be a bench warmer for them 😂

If they really wanted him, they wouldn’t have mucked about by offering derisory amounts and trying to unsettle the player like Sevco did when they tried to sign Allan from us.

Anyway I’m glad McGinn went to Villa and played a huge party in getting them promoted back to the EPL. I’m sure he doesn’t regret it one bit.

Reports that he has turned down Celtic

Left by mutual consent!
    Celtics offical Twitter is absolute cringe.

Who do they actually think they are.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Of course they wanted him but not as much as Aston Villa did. Villa paid the asking price, agreed to the clauses of the contract etc and the deal was finalised with them. From the start Celtic refused to meet our asking price only until McGinn was offski down south for talks with Villa that they decided to match it. I remember some Celtic fans on social media claiming that we were holding back the player from his dream and they would sign him for nout when his contract expired. Even some of them mentioned, he’d be a bench warmer for them 😂

If they really wanted him, they wouldn’t have mucked about by offering derisory amounts and trying to unsettle the player like Sevco did when they tried to sign Allan from us.

Anyway I’m glad McGinn went to Villa and played a huge party in getting them promoted back to the EPL. I’m sure he doesn’t regret it one bit.
    They did really want him, especially their manager who was raging they didn’t get the deal done trying to do what they usually do in Scotland. By the time they realised they had to pay the actual going rate terms where agreed with Villa.

Celtic and Lawwell act like a petulant bairn every time they don't get their own way. Get it up them.

Well done David! Good to see.