hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: David Turnbull

Great effort from Turnbull. Leaving the west of Scotland goldfish bowl to actually challenge himself will hopefully boost his career immensely

2. Log in to remove the advert

Partridge met with lawell before hand at a little chef

“The temperature inside this apple turnover is over 1,000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down.”

You would have thought Celtic would have learned from the McGinn saga.

I wonder if we'll see Lennon pitch an untried youngster into their side for a CL qualifier, refuse to speak to the media and publicly threaten to quit.......

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I wonder if we'll see Lennon pitch an untried youngster into their side for a CL qualifier, refuse to speak to the media and publicly threaten to quit.......
    That will probably happen about January but Celtic won’t be in the CL by then

It looks as though Celtic are trying to buy themselves another treble let’s hope more young players follow Turnbulls example he is to be commended

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Great effort from Turnbull. Leaving the west of Scotland goldfish bowl to actually challenge himself will hopefully boost his career immensely
    This. Always felt Brown could've/should've played in a bigger league.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    If he does go to Norwich and succeeds it's great news for Clubs like Hibs. The more successful young players that move from clubs like Hibs and Motherwell down to wealthy clubs in England and actually do well, the more money our players are worth and the less we have to sell them to the Old Firm. It's a double win for us when guys like McGinn and Turnbull turn down Celtic and go south...we get cash to build and Celtic and not strengthened. They will have to spend their £3million elsewhere now and if that's not on a player who has proven he is one of the best in the SPL, then it's more of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Only a matter of time before the toys come out the pram. Especially if the huns get off to a flyer. He doesn't deal well with pressure.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    £3.25 bid accepted from Norwich.

yesterday's news

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    £3.25million
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    It looks as though Celtic are trying to buy themselves another treble
    Isn't that what we're hoping our new mystery billionaire investor will do for us?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Isn't that what we're hoping our new mystery billionaire investor will do for us?

Hypocritcal I know but bring it on

Neil Lennon will use Celtics money to hide his inadequacies as a Coach but just imagine all that money in Heckys hands?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 19-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Hypocritcal I know but bring it on

Neil Lennon will use Celtics money to hide his inadequacies as a Coach but just imagine all that money in Heckys hands?
    Billy, you're slavering.

Using the available resources to buy the right players, then deploying them to succeed is what a good coach does, not an inadequate one.

If Klopp hadn't spent millions, Liverpool wouldn't have won the CL. Same goes for Guardiola at MC.

Like you, however, I'd be delighted if The Heck had millions to hide his inadequacy!

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Weird thing to get defensive about.
    Not defensive at all.

Hermit was being sarcastic about my post by saying ‘legit’ so I returned the favour.

My point was, if he didn’t think my post was factually correct, we can return to it on the 3rd of July and review it.

If I’m wrong with my thoughts on the matter, I will hold my hands up and apologise to him. If however, I am right, I’m sure he will do the same.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Billy, you're slavering.

Using the available resources to buy the right players, then deploying them to succeed is what a good coach does, not an inadequate one.

If Klopp hadn't spent millions, Liverpool wouldn't have won the CL. Same goes for Guardiola at MC.

Like you, however, I'd be delighted if The Heck had millions to hide his inadequacy!
    I think you are both correct. If you have the money to buy better players than every other team you don’t need to be any more than a competent coach to win the league in Scotland. The general consensus was that Ronny Deila wasn’t a great coach at Celtic but he still managed to win the league.
    Last edited by jeffers; 19-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Reality check for Celtic recently. Despite dominating domestically they're being priced out of moves for Motherwell and Hibs players
    I would think win win for everyone but Celtic. He challenges himself on a bigger stage which should be good for the Scotland side, he gets a better salary, Motherwell should benefit from any future transfer sell on fees.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Fabulous outcome - the club weren't in the financial position to stick the fingers up to the mutants (who made a reasonable financial offer in their defense), but the player did it instead. Hats off to whoever his agent is (or whoever advised him to bide his time a little)!

Hopefully he gets the opportunity to shine down there - great for him, great for Scotland and a financially shrewd bit of business from Motherwell.

I wonder if Celtic will ever learn to stop kicking themselves in the hee haws. Not only did they lose the services of McGinn and now possibly Turnbull, they have done themselves out of a possible selling on transfer fee. Their parsimony is costing them dearly.....

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I wonder if Celtic will ever learn to stop kicking themselves in the hee haws. Not only did they lose the services of McGinn and now possibly Turnbull, they have done themselves out of a possible selling on transfer fee. Their parsimony is costing them dearly.....
    Seemingly offered good money to Motherwell and the player, can't blame him for wanting more if it's offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    A 3 or 4 year deal on a decent wage at 32 years old. Seems legit.
    I have no idea whether poster is right or wrong.. but didn’t we just hand lengthy contracts to two of our players the ‘wrong side of 30’?

Not likely on the same wage that Naismith will be demanding right enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This. Always felt Brown could've/should've played in a bigger league.

My thoughts exactly ! I always thought Brown going to Septic was just to help himself to some of the medals they're given every year, make himself an easy few bob before going down south and really making a name for himself on the world stage. I wonder how he'll reflect on his career when he retires and if he'll honestly believe he made the best of the talent he was given - for me he definitely hasn't - he's wasted it !

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    My thoughts exactly ! I always thought Brown going to Septic was just to help himself to some of the medals they're given every year, make himself an easy few bob before going down south and really making a name for himself on the world stage. I wonder how he'll reflect on his career when he retires and if he'll honestly believe he made the best of the talent he was given - for me he definitely hasn't - he's wasted it !
    If he completes 10 in a row he will go down as the most successful Celtic captain ever.

It's been done to death on here before, but I can't believe folk think Scott Brown would have been in any way better playing for Burnley or Bournemouth than getting all those caps, winning all those medals, dominating all those Old Firm games and playing in all those Champions League games.

It's a bit sad that we hold even the pish, insignificant (but lucrative) part of English football in such high regard compared to our own league.

He'll be adored by the fans of one of the biggest clubs in this country for the rest of his days.

And that's before we get onto the league cup he won with us.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's been done to death on here before, but I can't believe folk think Scott Brown would have been in any way better playing for Burnley or Bournemouth than getting all those caps, winning all those medals, dominating all those Old Firm games and playing in all those Champions League games.

It's a bit sad that we hold even the pish, insignificant (but lucrative) part of English football in such high regard compared to our own league.

He'll be adored by the fans of one of the biggest clubs in this country for the rest of his days.

He would still have had all those caps playing for a team like bournemouth(actually think he is better than that) is dominating an old firm game really something that's that much of a big deal, surely holding your own against some of the best players in Europe is more of an achievement l? Medals I'll give you but again really depends on what team he could have went to, Fraser for example is being linked with arsenal, a good chance he will now ossibly start winning medals

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    He would still have had all those caps playing for a team like bournemouth(actually think he is better than that) is dominating an old firm game really something that's that much of a big deal, surely holding your own against some of the best players in Europe is more of an achievement l? Medals I'll give you but again really depends on what team he could have went to, Fraser for example is being linked with arsenal, a good chance he will now ossibly start winning medals
    Or he could have been like Van Dyk or Wanyama & use a less fashionable team as a stepping stone to Liverpool & Spurs & a CL final.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Or he could have been like Van Dyk or Wanyama & use a less fashionable team as a stepping stone to Liverpool & Spurs & a CL final.
    Or he could be like many young Scots players who get transferred to English clubs early in their career. They then don't make it there and either end up at a lower league English club or back up to Scotland a few years later. Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie immediately spring to mind.

I don't think you can knock Scott Brown for the career he has had with Celtic. I can also see the argument that he should have gone to the likes of Newcastle or Southampton as a stepping stone but to be captain of our largest club, winning medals, playing in Europe etc, is not to be mocked.

Would love more of our players to go abroad like Hendo to improve themselves.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Or he could be like many young Scots players who get transferred to English clubs early in their career. They then don't make it there and either end up at a lower league English club or back up to Scotland a few years later. Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie immediately spring to mind.

I don't think you can knock Scott Brown for the career he has had with Celtic. I can also see the argument that he should have gone to the likes of Newcastle or Southampton as a stepping stone but to be captain of our largest club, winning medals, playing in Europe etc, is not to be mocked.

Would love more of our players to go abroad like Hendo to improve themselves.
    The thing is he could have done both. He left us as a young man, could have had a fine career with Celtc then tried out in England. Now, just like McStay there will always be a debate about his ability. I agree 100% your Hendo comment.

The thing is he could have done both. He left us as a young man, could have had a fine career with Celtc then tried out in England. Now, just like McStay there will always be a debate about his ability. I agree 100% your Hendo comment.
    He's also had some tragic stuff happen in his personal life (at a point in his career when he might have been tempted to stretch his wings) that made staying closer to home desirable.

@hibs.net private member
    Was McStay winning things though? I always remember him as an over-rated player in an average Celtic team. Always thought John Collins was the better of the two. He did play for Celtic, English Premiership and in Europe. Who had the better career?

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Was McStay winning things though? I always remember him as an over-rated player in an average Celtic team. Always thought John Collins was the better of the two. He did play for Celtic, English Premiership and in Europe. Who had the better career?
    I remember a cup final when i was really young can't remember who Celtic were playing, Dundee United maybe, McStay was brilliant. Gliding past players and spreading passes everywhere. He'd have been a star down south. Was wasted at Celtic.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I don't think Scott Brown will have any regrets, rightly in my opinion.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Think you're doing him a disservice. He could easily have went down and played for far bigger clubs.