hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Edinburgh Recommendations

My wife and I are having a long weekend in Edinburgh over the 13th-15th of July (rare babysitting!).

I'm in Edinburgh often enough with work, and have my "usual" haunts but I was wondering if the expertise of hibs.net might provide some recommendations on:

i) a nice restaurant somewhere central - either Thai, something slightly higher-end/romantic that's central (toying with the Witchery but I don't know anyone that's been lately).

ii) a decent small bar (cellar bar maybe) that's not going to be full of clubbers/tourists. I rarely get to drink in Edinburgh, as I usually drive somewhere to get a train/tram into the city, so my bar knowledge is seriously lacking.

Hit me with your best

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife and I are having a long weekend in Edinburgh over the 13th-15th of July (rare babysitting!).

I'm in Edinburgh often enough with work, and have my "usual" haunts but I was wondering if the expertise of hibs.net might provide some recommendations on:

i) a nice restaurant somewhere central - either Thai, something slightly higher-end/romantic that's central (toying with the Witchery but I don't know anyone that's been lately).

ii) a decent small bar (cellar bar maybe) that's not going to be full of clubbers/tourists. I rarely get to drink in Edinburgh, as I usually drive somewhere to get a train/tram into the city, so my bar knowledge is seriously lacking.

Hit me with your best

i) Chaopraya on Castle St. Good Thai place with great views over the city.
    ii) not full of tourists is going to be a stretch anywhere central. Whighams, just off corner of Charlotte Square is ok, quite wine-bary but handy for (i), is a cellar, and has some nice cosy romantic booths.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    1) 6ByNico - although you'll have to trust that you'll like whatever menu they have on that week.

2) Usquabae for drinks.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Dusit for Dinner and Bon Vivant for Drinks, literally right next to each other so you wont need to walk (stumble) very far.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Divino Merchant Street, cellar restaurant with fantastic wines, romantic venue, and great bar area.

For food The Wee Restaurant on Frederick Street is excellent. Service and food are both superb. Alternatively a wee bit out the city centre at Marchnont The Rabbit Hole is also excellent. For Thai I'd recommend either Passorn or Dusit.

For drinks it really depends what you are looking for. For something small and intimate Dragonfly on the West Port has a great cocktail menu and is very 'cool'. For something a bit more traditional somewhere like Cloisters would work with Passorn as it's just across the road or Sandy Bells for music and a bustling atmosphere, although both can attract their share of tourists. Finally the Blue Blazer could be doubled up with Dragonfly to offer the best of both worlds. It's small, has decent beer and a good atmosphere. Again because of location it will attract a tourist or 2 though.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Hit me with your best
    My 2p.

Time 4 Thai on Castle Street, followed by drinks in Panda and Sons on Queen Street. The owner of Pandas is a good Hibee

There's some lovely bars around the Castle St, Thistle St, and over Charlotte Square to Hope Street, Melville Street etc. Could pop into a few. (Bon Vivant, Cambridge Bar, The Oxford, The Voyage of Buck etc)
    Last edited by MagicSwirlingShip; 13-06-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    My 2p.

Time 4 Thai
    Just my opinion, but we were in time 4 thai last friday (on another friends recommendation) and didnt rate it at all.

Pretty soulless atmosphere and very average bland food. Exactly the opposite of what I'd expect from a decent Thai.

Pretty disappointing as it wasnt cheap either.

Again - just my opinion. we're all different

Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    Just my opinion, but we were in time 4 thai last friday (on another friends recommendation) and didnt rate it at all.

Pretty soulless atmosphere and very average bland food. Exactly the opposite of what I'd expect from a decent Thai.

Pretty disappointing as it wasnt cheap either.

Again - just my opinion. we're all different
    Ah really, it’s been over a year and some since I’ve been looking back. Sad to hear it’s went downhill.

Gamer IDs

Thanks everyone for the replies. Had a look at them all, and we're definitely going to take a few on board (certainly Bon Vivant, which looks great).

We do have our usual Thai place (Spirit of Thai), but fancied somewhere different this time around. Might opt for Dusit since it's right next to BV.

Will probably try a few of the other bars suggested too.

@hibs.net private member duffers's Avatar
    Not really the ‘high end’ that you are after, but ting thai caravan is my favourite in Edinburgh for Thai food

Quote Originally Posted by duffers View Post
    Not really the ‘high end’ that you are after, but ting thai caravan is my favourite in Edinburgh for Thai food
    Aye, magic scran in there. The Mexican joint El Cartel is equally class :)

For a drink try Le Di Vin on Randolph Place. It’s underneath the French restaurant Le Petit jolie.
    Once you go in see how many people on the chalk mural you can identify.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Using Hibs.net for such recommendations is so 2018. You and your wife should be setting up Tinder/Bumble/Hinge profiles so you can ask locals for these recommendations (as per my post on the pet peeves thread )

Gamer IDs

Follow-up question!

What are folks' thoughts on The Fishmarket at Newhaven?

I clocked a TV show through the week that featured it, and they certainly did a good job of selling it with the story of provenance and the freshness of the fish.

Is it that good?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Follow-up question!

What are folks' thoughts on The Fishmarket at Newhaven?

I clocked a TV show through the week that featured it, and they certainly did a good job of selling it with the story of provenance and the freshness of the fish.

Is it that good?
    It's evidently very popular.
    We went a couple of months after it opened, ordered 3 fish suppers to go, 2 cod/1 haddock. They were not the best fish & chips I've had in Edinburgh.
    It was good, not great. The fish didn't have a lot of taste. The batter fell away (suggesting the fish wasn't floured or not cooked right) and I wasn't blown away by the double cooked chips.
    Location and setup are pretty good and pricing is what you'd expect for a top end chippery.
    I've spoke to others who thought it was great but then they haven't had a chippy from the Gold Sea on Ferry road or the Barbecue at Drum Brae.

Edited to add, I just re-read that, I didn't eat 3 fish suppers in one sitting,,,, there was three of us there that night!