hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Congratulations Rod Petrie

Scotsman headline “Rod Petrie to be sworn in unopposed as Scottish FA President”
    Only the third Hibs official to do so, after Harry Swan and Tommy Younger.
    Now we will see the media turn on the SFA all the more but Rodders will not flinch an I personally think he will steer the ship expertly to bigger and better things.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotsman headline “Rod Petrie to be sworn in unopposed as Scottish FA President”
    Now we will see the media turn on the SFA all the more but Rodders will not flinch an I personally think he will steer the ship expertly to bigger and better things.
    Does that mean he can have nothing to do with Hibs?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Does that mean he can have nothing to do with Hibs?
    Think he means he has to still be at Hibs to be the SFA president

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    My mistake Billy

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    My mistake Billy
    I’m not saying I’m right, just think you need to be associated with a club to get on the board in the 1st place

Surely the chairman of hibs being the head of the SFA is a conflict of interest, no?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Ok cheers honestly didn't know.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I’m not saying I’m right, just think you need to be associated with a club to get on the board in the 1st place
    I think thats correct.

I assume that it means he has less to do with the day to day at ER, so hope that means Dempster is here for a while yet.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Many congrats Rod.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't decide if this is a good or bad thing for us. We'll undoubtedly see more attacks on him and the SFA in general from the media. No doubt after decades of mediocrity this will be the impetuous for the some to call for "real change"

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    What are the bigger and better things you think he will steer us to? Genuine question.

I think he might manage to improve the SFA commercially, but on the football and footballing infrastructure side he won’t have any idea what to do or how to do it, same with the rest of the old boys network at the SFA. Here’s hoping Clarke is here for a long time as Petrie was one of McLeish’s advocates.

First Team Breakthrough Siralbertkidd's Avatar
    Ah, now the no raking over the coals quote seems to have had a purpose.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I just hope he makes a better job of introducing an SFA Ponzi scheme than he did marketing his Hibs one. Still not clear how it works.

Petrie out.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Fud of a man, perfectly suited for the job I suppose

Totally indifferent to this.

He's been in a position of influence at the SFA for years and the organisation is fundamentally flawed. I don't see how him moving one office along really changes anything. Let's be honest there have been calls for change at the SFA for decades and it's not happened and it's not going to happen now. We have what we have and that's about all there is to be said.

The whole system of people walking into the top jobs unopposed needs looked at really. It won't be.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    He got what he wanted, well done. When does he leave us now?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Shhhh, you'll make his lovers angry and they'll attack you for having a difference of opinion, even though this is a public forum....

Left by mutual consent!
    It can’t be a bad thing for the club. Nice one Rodders.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Well done RP.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Totally indifferent to this.

He's been in a position of influence at the SFA for years and the organisation is fundamentally flawed. I don't see how him moving one office along really changes anything. Let's be honest there have been calls for change at the SFA for decades and it's not happened and it's not going to happen now. We have what we have and that's about all there is to be said.

The whole system of people walking into the top jobs unopposed needs looked at really. It won't be.
    Ordinarily the influence of a Vice President is nothing compared to that of the President.

RP will be in a position to propose his own initiatives and try to steer the board in the direction he wants to go.

We'll see how it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    Shhhh, you'll make his lovers angry and they'll attack you for having a difference of opinion, even though this is a public forum....
    In the interests of fairness, Should the Rod Petrie fan club members (I'm not one) not get the same warning?

There'll be someone along to attack you for having a different opinion from them even though it's a public forum.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    If that's all it takes then, going by your post, you'd likely have been in with a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    It's less of a difference of opinion and more just a crass insult. Petrie was clearly limited in terms of delivering on the football side but did a pretty decent job on finance and infrastructure.

I suspect there are few lovers out there because ultimately we're fans of a football club and not a business but that shouldn't take away from what he did do.

As with most things on this site it shouldn't only be about extremes - most of our players are neither imposters or the Scottish Pele.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    What are the bigger and better things you think he will steer us to? Genuine question.

I think he might manage to improve the SFA commercially, but on the football and footballing infrastructure side he won’t have any idea what to do or how to do it, same with the rest of the old boys network at the SFA. Here’s hoping Clarke is here for a long time as Petrie was one of McLeish’s advocates.
    What I see is that he is now in a position where he can drive changes from the top. A considerably more influential position than being deputy.

I think he will change some of the things that he has spoken of being frustrated by when addressing AGM's over the years. One that springs immediately to mind is the "rolling out of a carpet" style of selecting fixtures, something that disadvantaged Hibs year on year when it came to the plum fixtures during the festive season. For a long time the Ne'er Day Derby was disproportionately to be staged at Tynecastle. I think we may see a fairer system there.

I cannot see the SFA being stuck for a sponsor for long now that Rod is at the helm

I also see Rod as someone who will encourage a broader church of views and participants in the management of the SFA and bring in capable people in crucial roles. I do hope that does not mean that we will see Leeanne Dempster head hunted

None of that may happen of course but when it comes to strong and resolute leadership Rod has shown that in the face of vitriolic opposition for years at ER and I think he will bring that to the SFA. He does not need to be popular to be effective.

Oh...... and I forgot the need for a five year plan

What I do not see is a great deal more openness at the SFA though

Hopefully some favourable decisions coming our way driven from the top 😉
    Last edited by Since452; 12-06-2019 at 09:03 AM.

I’ve never been big on Petrie, but seeing the foaming rage he got the huns into after 21.05 made me respect him that bit more.

His appointment has them hyperventilating with it too: https://www.followfollow.com/forum/t...esident.78336/

Up the Rod!
    Last edited by BegbieHSC; 12-06-2019 at 09:35 AM.

His tears after the cup win were genuine. He's a Hibby like the rest of us. I find some of the criticism he gets a bit OTT to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by KingFlo View Post
    I’ve never been big on Petrie, but seeing the foaming rage he got the huns into after 21.05 made me respect him that bit more.

His appointment has them hyperventilating with it too: https://www.followfollow.com/forum/t...esident.78336/

Up the Rod!
    Unopposed as well so hopefully they realise he was sevco's man for the job

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    If we are thinking of the good of Scottish football then there are huge question Mark's over this. RP has been part of the system that has been in perpetual decline for a number of years. Transformational change (which is very much needed) typically only happens when there is a clear change in the leadership. RP is embedded in a flawed system and it's only going to be natural for him to defend decisions which he has previously been involved in.

His record at Hibs is also very mixed. The club has probably under achieved for large parts of his tenure and it was only 3 to 4 years ago that there was a real disconnect with the fans. Bringing in LD was surely an admission that he was failing in a number of key aspects of football administration. To now get the most senior role in football administration in Scottish football raises serious question marks for me. Hopefully, he has learned from his failures and will listen to Steve Clarke.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    If that's all it takes then, going by your post, you'd likely have been in with a shout.
    Haha yes very good mate

Unfortunately being sleekit and having good connections are also requirements