hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Did a bus full of Hibs fans ever crash at that bend on the way to a game at Pittodrie?

My mate used to talk of this, I'm sure he said a couple of people died.

Not sure if I'm getting a few stories mixed up but I'm sure this might have been the first Hibs game he went to, and his Dad was the linesman. Would probably have been mid to late seventies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did a bus full of Hibs fans ever crash at that bend on the way to a game at Pittodrie?

Not sure if I'm getting a few stories mixed up but I'm sure this might have been the first Hibs game he went to, and his Dad was the linesman. Would probably have been mid to late seventies.
    A Hearts supporter, a colleague of mine at the time, was killed going to Aberdeen around 1980 or so
    Lovely guy called Brian Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Unsure of that Smartie, even back when our bus tipped over I don't remember much media coverage, obviously nowadays it would be everywhere. I have a small, less than one paragraph sized cutting from the Sunday Post from the time, sent to me by someone on here.

Our crash was also mentioned in Jonnyboys book (At Easter Road they Play) but I certainly don't recall having read about another crash, although I could have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    That's good to hear. Think it was a friendly at Coventry, we left overnight from the Hibs Club in the bus, 1st pit stop for drink was The Jolly Farmer at Liberton! IIRC Davie was dressed up in a 3 piece suit, fell off the step of the bus & landed in a ditch beside the pub! Lovely thread this.

Coventry ?
    Cant remember how i got there.
    .Probably jumped a train to Birmingham, then on to Coventry.
    But do recall it was a hot day and a 1-1 draw.. and i think JO'R scored for us.

Do remember meeting Gordon McCabe and the Niddrie Brigade and came home on their packed mini bus ............after a few swallies, at a Polish ex-servicemens, club, i think .
    So long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF PADDY View Post
    Could be wrong!
    But possibly The Highwayman.

The Clyde Bar ? It was on Clyde Street across from old bus stances and along from ticket office

Does anyone remember Michael Gilhooly from St Giles in the 60s? Always wondered what became of him, long time ago now of course, 63/4

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Does anyone remember Michael Gilhooly from St Giles in the 60s? Always wondered what became of him, long time ago now of course, 63/4
    Mick is still a regular at ER. Famous Five stand with Pete Clark, Davy Summers and Benny Small.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post
    Mick is still a regular at ER. Famous Five stand with Pete Clark, Davy Summers and Benny Small.
    Thanks for that.

That was a great bus.
    Great characters too back then.
    Us wee yins looking up to them.
    People like Alan Lugton and John Smith (Smiggy)
    What a character he was, the bold Smiggy ! !

Bernie,his sons and his brother Marky ,of course and assorted Grassmarket/West Port originals.
    Many who had moved "out of town",but still came back tae The Market and the St Giles bus.

Right youse !!
    Nae rebel songs at the back !!!
    Or we winnae stoap fur chips at Blackburn !!
    Aye right... they auld yins couldnae get tae the boozer quick enough in Blackburn
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 13-06-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I travelled on the Hawkhill bus under the guidance of Maud Macfarlane. We loved a sing song but Maud was pretty strict if swearing was involved

Every away game she told us to hide our scarves as we neared the ground. That was fair enough but she did the same with our tartan scarves when Scotland were playing Bulgaria at Hampden. Clearly she'd heard that the Bulgarian casuals were waiting on us
    I was a regular in the latter part of the sixties, when I used to sit beside another kid, who's dad supported Clacknacudden and when I started work in as a 15yo in April 71, it was only the midweek games I'd go by bus as I worked Saturday mornings leaving me with trains being my only option for the away games.

I particularly remember the trip to Anfield just before Xmas 1970, we arrived in Liverpool early afternoon and while the adults went for a pint, I was off downtown to the shops, but heading to the supporters club after the game was amazing as were the Liverpool [and Hibs] fans that night and we played really well despite the 2-0 defeat. Great memories and some not so good, breaking down in Glasgow heading to Clyde and running the rest of the way to the ground [3-4 miles], only to get beat 1-0! At least a replacement bus was there for us at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Coventry ?

Do remember meeting Gordon McCabe and the Niddrie Brigade and came home on their packed mini bus ............after a few swallies, at a Polish ex-servicemens, club, i think .
    So long ago.
    I sit beside Gordon in the East Stand m8,still Hibs daft.

Coventry ?

So long ago.
    I sit beside Gordon in the East Stand m8, he is still Hibs daft😁

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    I was a regular in the latter part of the sixties, when I used to sit beside another kid, who's dad supported Clacknacudden and when I started work in as a 15yo in April 71, it was only the midweek games I'd go by bus as I worked Saturday mornings leaving me with trains being my only option for the away games.

I particularly remember the trip to Anfield just before Xmas 1970, we arrived in Liverpool early afternoon and while the adults went for a pint, I was off downtown to the shops, but heading to the supporters club after the game was amazing as were the Liverpool [and Hibs] fans that night and we played really well despite the 2-0 defeat. Great memories and some not so good, breaking down in Glasgow heading to Clyde and running the rest of the way to the ground [3-4 miles], only to get beat 1-0! At least a replacement bus was there for us at the end of the game.
    Indeed. We met Arthur Duncan before the game and he asked where in the ground we were going. We said the Kop as we wanted to sample the atmosphere. Arthur was not having that and gave us comps for the main stand
    This is how it feels

Coaching Staff
    Coventry ?

So long ago.
    Think it was Eric Stevenson...Neil Martin got their equaliser.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5811540]That was a great bus.

Bernie,his sons and his brother Marky ,of course and assorted Grassmarket/West Port originals.
    Many who had moved "out of town",but still came back tae The Market and the St Giles bus.

Right youse !!
    Aye right... they auld yins couldnae get tae the boozer quick enough in Blackburn[/QUOTE

Remember being told tae pipe doon wi the rebel songs

Changed days indeed!

Only for the better imho

That was a great bus.

Right youse !!
    Aye right... they auld yins couldnae get t
    ae the boozer quick enough in Blackburn
    I have a feeling I know you Mick, I remember that vividly 😊

I have a feeling I know you Mick, I remember that vividly ��
    I left a few great Hibernians names out that traveled on the St Giles when i was a youngster.
    Many who were in the branch for decades.
    I kinda drifted away after schoolboy/juvenile times on the bus and traveled more with others.
    Tynecastle Branch for a while. Good crowd on that bus then
    Bus or train(possibly with no ticket!) or supercar to away games it was for me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    I sit beside Gordon in the East Stand m8,still Hibs daft.
    We go back a long time.
    Sixties/Seventies away day adventures!
    You don't want to know;-)
    Ma grandson sees Gordon and Brendan now and again in the Horse
    Sundays, i think he goes there.
    I need to pop down some weekend.

Give him my regards.

GGTTH
    HGSP

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Think it was Eric Stevenson...Neil Martin got their equaliser.
    Hi Fred
    Always, for some reason stuck in my mind that James scored in that game.
    Faint memory is we were sunbathing on the terracing ! It was a scorcher.

We go back a long time.
    Sixties/Seventies away day adventures!
    You don't want to know;-)
    Ma grandson sees Gordon and Brendan now and again in the Horse
    Sundays, i think he goes there.
    I need to pop down some weekend.

Give him my regards.

GGTTH
    HGSP
    Certainly will do m8.Gordon,s not in the Horse a lot since moving to Dalkeith, however I drink with Brendan in there a lot ,will probably know your grandson from there.😁

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post
    Aye, St Giles the best bus for travelling Hibbys!!

A lot on here seem to have traveled with us over the years, many memories (some more vague than others though).

ha ha!!

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Remember the guy (not his name sadly)...very likeable character - wasn't on the bus, was on Central branch, but remember the day...everyone was stunned. Recall chatting to some who turned up at the match

Respect to any of his friends or family looking in..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    He was a good pal of mine. His name was Mark McGhee from Broomhouse. A home and away Hibby. 19 years old. It was February 1982. Wee Mark was a very decent guy and a gentle soul. The whole team were at the funeral.

I was sitting up the back upstairs and went to the game after the crash. It wasn't until I got home after the game and saw a headline in the Pink News that I started to shake. I now know I was in shock and just numbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    He was a good pal of mine. His name was Mark McGhee from Broomhouse. A home and away Hibby. 19 years old. It was February 1982. Wee Mark was a very decent guy and a gentle soul. The whole team were at the funeral.

I was sitting up the back upstairs and went to the game after the crash. It wasn't until I got home after the game and saw a headline in the Pink News that I started to shake. I now know I was in shock and just numbed.
    Newspaper cuttings from that day -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Indeed. We met Arthur Duncan before the game and he asked where in the ground we were going. We said the Kop as we wanted to sample the atmosphere. Arthur was not having that and gave us comps for the main stand
    Lucky person you, I had to pay for my own ticket! Met my ultimate hero though, Pat Stanton, who commented that I was young to be all the way down there [glad he wasn't my mum, I'd have never been allowed to go!] Great trip, and Mrs Mac was an absolute legend, strict but as youngsters, even with the bottles flying over our heads, we always felt safe. I went straight to school after arriving back at Easter Road with all the Hibs fans wanting a read of the programme.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar

I was actually sitting in the middle of the back seat upstairs when the bus went over. The moment of surreal was when someone shouted to kick in the emergency back widow and jump out and me not grasping that the bus was on it's side and I was not having to jump from the top deck. Mark was also mates with my brother and were both sitting next to each other when the accident happened, even sadder is that they were both sitting down stairs when we left Easter Road but someone had shouted down to them that there was two seats upstairs.

What still irks me to this day is that the 50 club bus stopped to see what was going on and then carried on a mere 2 minutes later without offering any help or a lift to anyone that wasn't badly injured. Thankfully another bus stopped and offered us a lift that didn't need hospital treatment. Like you I went to the game but it was all a blur, I only found out the the true events of that day when I got back to the Hibs club later on that that night.

I was one of a few that was asked to appear at Perth court a few months later for the prosecution. From what I can remember the driver got a fined £100.00 or there about for careless driving.

@hibs.net private member

Away days in the 60's - travel

Thanks for sharing a bit more...remember him from home and away each weeks in those years...he had a buddy who was very tall, Mark was shorter than him...they were always together at games...I recall speaking to his tall mate at Tannadice on the day of the crash...he had made it to the ground but was still in shock really..told us that he thought Mark may have died in the crash. Was all a bit surreal in the days before mobiles and instant communication..

It's nice to remember Mark. He deserves to be spoken about on this site....Didn't know him well, other than to say hello as a regular fellow Hibee, but I liked the individuality of his rude boy style...he always seemed to be smiling and laughing, and his dedication to following our team..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Aye, St Giles the best bus for travelling Hibbys!!

A lot on here seem to have traveled with us over the years, many memories (some more vague than others though).

ha ha!!

GGTTH
    I travelled on st Giles in the mid to late 70s as a young 10 + years old kid...was quite an eye opening experience for a young kid to hear the songs and see the escapades...

One of many I recall was stopping at Stonehouse on the way back from (I think) Kilmarnock..can't recall if it was for chips or beers..knowing the crew probably both...anyway the local Rangers supporters club arrived delighted to find a Hibs bus in their town and thought it was their lucky day...as younger kids we were on the bus surrounded by these local Huns...the older guys started to file back and were confronted by about 20ish Huns looking for a scrap...I recall one of the st Giles crew getting there first and knocking the first guy down with a single punch...then like a rugby player bobbed and weaved his way though the stunned rest of them without them laying a single glove on him...the gnarly older st Giles boys followed and swatted the huns away with mere looks....

The Hun who was knocked down spent the rest of the time raging, swaggering outside the bus, calling for the boy to come back off the bus for a square go...the Hibs boy knew that he was one up and, laughing, was quite happy to keep it that way....me, as a circa 10/11 year old thought this was one of the best thing that I'd ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Thanks for sharing a bit more...remember him from home and away each weeks in those years...he had a buddy who was very tall, Mark was shorter than him...they were always together at games...I recall speaking to his tall mate at Tannadice on the day of the crash...he had made it to the ground but was still in shock really..told us that he thought Mark may have died in the crash. Was all a bit surreal in the days before mobiles and instant communication..

It's nice to remember Mark. He deserves to be spoken about on this site....Didn't know him well, other than to say hello as a regular fellow Hibee, but I liked the individuality of his rude boy style...he always seemed to be smiling and laughing, and his dedication to following our team..

Tall guy was probably me. 6 foot, skinny, skinhead.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Tall guy was probably me. 6 foot, skinny, skinhead.
    Did you used to get on at the Gunner?