hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 102
  1. #1

    Away days in the 60's - travel

    Worcesterhibby started a thread about Jambo cars. It got me to thinking.

    In the 60's before we could all afford to buy and run a car, how did you get about for the nearer away day matches.

    Our choice was mostly the match day buses from St Andrew's Square which you had to buy your ticket for the day before the match.

    Fond memories of the singing, and drinking (within moderation of course) with frequent singing requests to the driver to "stop the bus we need a "wee-wee".

    Many a a driver had the hat passed around for them, very often very profitably for them.

    The trips on the old Bluebirds until the more modern buses came along were a simple joy.

    Using the train for the further afield matches often gave the chance of being in the same or the next carriage used by the team and staff. Wish I still had all those programmes with all those autographs though.



  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    5,359
    Supporters buses wi the empty cans of Tartan and Skol rattling up and doon the bus bursting oan a pish

    The whip roond for Wee Hughie that got lifted post match

    The basic Football Special Trains that took you oot to the sticks and left you sitting for ages

    Hibees!

  4. #3
    Libby travel bus for years with the mental Dougie Sneddon as convener, crazy days 😲

  5. #4
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    22,076
    Don't go back as far as the 60s but I used to love away days on one of the many supporters buses. I've been on the football specials a couple of times but they were cancelled in the late 80s (I think) because of the increase in trouble.

    There doesn't seem to be as many buses running as there used to be. People seem to prefer making their own way to games.

  6. #5
    Testimonial Due HIBERNIAN-0762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In ma hoose.
    Posts
    4,726
    Joined Hibs club when it was up Carlton Terrace (I think it was) was on Bernie Glanceys St Giles juveniles bus which left from the Grassmarket. Great memories of going to Shawfield, Cathkin Park etc 😊 that must have been 1963 IIRC.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Linlithgow
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,263
    First game away was as an 9 year old on the Carlton bus circa 1964/65 to Dunfermline when we won 6-5. Hooked ever since. Was a member the year after and am still a member of the Hibs club after all these years with only a 2 year gap in the 80s

    Now assist in running the Linlithgow and Bo'ness branch who have a bus to all home games and some away ones, but getting harder to break even due to many factors!

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    11,331
    Going to lovely places like Motherwell and Airdrie in the 70s and returning with the bus windows missing.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,447
    Sandy McNair, in one of his trademark articles told tales of the corporation buses that would run from St Andrews Square to away games. They were named Excursion 1, 2, 3 and so on depending on demand, and Excursion 1 was deemed the premium and most desired bus to be on for extra kudos. Maybe the Uber Fans of the day’s bus of choice!

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,784
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Libby travel bus for years with the mental Dougie Sneddon as convener, crazy days 😲
    Some of the best laughs I ever had as a Hibs fan on that bus - (just thought - except the crash going to Tannadice, horrendous.)

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    5,359
    There was always someone that knew a short cut and the driver ended up getting lost.

    Nine times out of ten you had to abandon the bus and leave the driver to park it up and sprint/jog to the ground not Stadium as it was usually a dump

    Happy days!

    Carlton Branch rools ya bass!

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the best laughs I ever had as a Hibs fan on that bus - (just thought - except the crash going to Tannadice, horrendous.)
    Was a brilliant bus, absolute bonkers at times, yeah I was on the double decker when it tipped over just before Bridge of Earn, remember that day like it was yesterday 😔

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Upper
    Age
    34
    Posts
    23,854
    Theres definitely a niche in the market for football specials, Virgin West Coast run the odd ones for big matches in London involving teams from the North West but thats about it. These were done away with due to trouble as another poster says. Its different these days though, CCTV is everywhere on trains as a deterrent to would be animals.

    With all the old rolling stock that is currently being withdrawn a TOC could buy them and use them for specials and because they're so old it wouldn't really matter if the crowd was a bit rowdy. It would keep the fans away from day train services and stop them annoying normal punters.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,784
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was a brilliant bus, absolute bonkers at times, yeah I was on the double decker when it tipped over just before Bridge of Earn, remember that day like it was yesterday 😔
    Still get that wobbly feeling going round Picardy Place roundabout.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still get that wobbly feeling going round Picardy Place roundabout.
    Took me a while to set foot on a double decker after that, I was only 14 or 15 at the time I think, I was downstairs two seats back from the stairs on the side the bus landed, cant begin to imagine how those on the upper deck felt that day. I still remember a lot of guys climbed out of the bus and jumped on passing buses to make the game, thats passion eh ? 🇳🇬😲

  16. #15
    Coaching Staff iwasthere1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh South
    Posts
    20,816
    Early 70's. Pentland Branch travelling from The White Hart in the Grassmarket. Sometimes City Link or train.

    Singing stop the bus I need a wee wee, having a wee wee against the bus as travellers sped past trying not to look, getting chased through Aberdeen and Perth just to mention a couple, bus window put in at Ibrox and Tannadice, darts thrown at us at Rugby Park, bottles thrown at us at various grounds and Turnbull's Tornadoes.

    Oh yes Happy days indeed.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,784
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Took me a while to set foot on a double decker after that, I was only 14 or 15 at the time I think, I was downstairs two seats back from the stairs on the side the bus landed, cant begin to imagine how those on the upper deck felt that day. I still remember a lot of guys climbed out of the bus and jumped on passing buses to make the game, thats passion eh ? 🇳🇬😲
    More buses drove on than stopped.

    I was second from the back seat upstairs, the window popped out and I was left on the central reservation with my legs still in the bus and my upper half on the grass, if the bus hadn't hit the middle barrier I'd be dead - as you say very vivid memories. We ended up missing the game and being driven up to the hospital to see pals who were injured - both Sandy McNair and Irv Welsh (sitting upstairs at the front) were pretty messed up.

    The only '80's Scottish Cup tie I missed.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More buses drove on than stopped.

    I was second from the back seat upstairs, the window popped out and I was left on the central reservation with my legs still in the bus and my upper half on the grass, if the bus hadn't hit the middle barrier I'd be dead - as you say very vivid memories. We ended up missing the game and being driven up to the hospital to see pals who were injured - both Sandy McNair and Irv Welsh (sitting upstairs at the front) were pretty messed up.

    The only '80's Scottish Cup tie I missed.
    Was that the game Dundee United knocked us out at Tannadice

    That wee scroat bag Darren Jackson scored?

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More buses drove on than stopped.

    I was second from the back seat upstairs, the window popped out and I was left on the central reservation with my legs still in the bus and my upper half on the grass, if the bus hadn't hit the middle barrier I'd be dead - as you say very vivid memories. We ended up missing the game and being driven up to the hospital to see pals who were injured - both Sandy McNair and Irv Welsh (sitting upstairs at the front) were pretty messed up.

    The only '80's Scottish Cup tie I missed.
    Yeah my Brother was at the window downstairs and you are bang on, his window also popped just as it hit the barrier and his backside was on the grass with me lying on top of him, my mate who had been opposite me headbutted me as the bus tipped, I ended up with a black eye. I shut the bus engine off using the shut off button, I was on the bus side at the rear and folk were screaming at me to push the ****ing button !! I was just wanting a way to get down as it was high and I was a bit dazed.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that the game Dundee United knocked us out at Tannadice

    That wee scroat bag Darren Jackson scored?
    1-1 I think Billy then replay at ER if I remember correctly

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,593
    I was not in an Official Supporters Club but I occasionally travelled on the SMT " Hibernian Supporter Hires" which left from St Andrews Square. Does anyone remember the name of the pub which was situated in close proximity to the bus stands? I was a frequent visitor in these now far off days.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,784
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that the game Dundee United knocked us out at Tannadice

    That wee scroat bag Darren Jackson scored?
    Crash was around '80-'81, a draw in Dundee and replay at ER.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crash was around '80-'81, a draw in Dundee and replay at ER.
    Different game was at both
    😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was not in an Official Supporters Club but I occasionally travelled on the SMT " Hibernian Supporter Hires" which left from St Andrews Square. Does anyone remember the name of the pub which was situated in close proximity to the bus stands? I was a frequent visitor in these now far off days.
    Travellers Rest?

    Leeries Lamplighter Bar on the corner was a Dundee pub

    Tryst 👍🏾
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-06-2019 at 05:47 PM.

  25. #24
    Testimonial Due Hibs07p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was not in an Official Supporters Club but I occasionally travelled on the SMT " Hibernian Supporter Hires" which left from St Andrews Square. Does anyone remember the name of the pub which was situated in close proximity to the bus stands? I was a frequent visitor in these now far off days.
    Travellers Tryst was the one nearest St Andrews Square, and I think The Highwayman nearest St James's centre?



    GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016
    Last edited by Hibs07p; 11-06-2019 at 05:53 PM.

  26. #25
    First Team Regular green with envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    roond the corner
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Libby travel bus for years with the mental Dougie Sneddon as convener, crazy days 😲
    That was also my supporters bus. Travelled on it from when it started after Dougie & Stu broke away from the Carlton, till it pretty much ended.

  27. #26
    First Team Regular green with envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    roond the corner
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was a brilliant bus, absolute bonkers at times, yeah I was on the double decker when it tipped over just before Bridge of Earn, remember that day like it was yesterday 😔
    Me too. I'll never forget that day. Hope you're resting well Mark.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,784
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hope you're resting well Mark.

  29. #28
    First Team Regular green with envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    roond the corner
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More buses drove on than stopped.

    I was second from the back seat upstairs, the window popped out and I was left on the central reservation with my legs still in the bus and my upper half on the grass, if the bus hadn't hit the middle barrier I'd be dead - as you say very vivid memories. We ended up missing the game and being driven up to the hospital to see pals who were injured - both Sandy McNair and Irv Welsh (sitting upstairs at the front) were pretty messed up.

    The only '80's Scottish Cup tie I missed.
    Small world, I was actually sitting on the very back seat up stairs.My young brother was sitting beside the lad tha got killed. I was pretty unscathed apart from shock and managed to get a lift to the game for which was a daze. February '82 was when the accident took place.
    Last edited by green with envy; 11-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs07p View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Travellers Tryst was the one nearest St Andrews Square, and I think The Highwayman nearest St James's centre?



    GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016
    Travellers Tryst , that's the one. 👍

  31. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Early 70's. Pentland Branch travelling from The White Hart in the Grassmarket. Sometimes City Link or train.

    Singing stop the bus I need a wee wee, having a wee wee against the bus as travellers sped past trying not to look, getting chased through Aberdeen and Perth just to mention a couple, bus window put in at Ibrox and Tannadice, darts thrown at us at Rugby Park, bottles thrown at us at various grounds and Turnbull's Tornadoes.

    Oh yes Happy days indeed.
    We used to stop at a pub called the Cats Eyes on the way back from Glasgow. Was 13 at the time and I used to go for the chips whilst the guys were in the pub. Made enough for a pie supper. Nae sauce tho.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved