hibs.net Messageboard

Fernando Ricksen

Just saw him on this evening's news and I didn't realise what a bad state he was in. As somebody that actually saw this guy in his prime, it was very sad to see him like that.

What a terrible illness.

Sky News Article

In his prime

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Very sad to see, a horrible disease for anyone to suffer.

Hope his charity day raises a lot of money in the search for a cure.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just saw him on this evening's news and I didn't realise what a bad state he was in. As somebody that actually saw this guy in his prime, it was very sad to see him like that.

What a terrible illness.

Sky News Article

In his prime
    Indeed, horrific, I lost a friend to MND, to see such a fit and healthy guy deteriorate and pass away so quickly was horrible. Hope one day they can find a cure 💚

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Indeed, horrific, I lost a friend to MND, to see such a fit and healthy guy deteriorate and pass away so quickly was horrible. Hope one day they can find a cure 💚

Sorry to hear that, it must have been awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Sorry to hear that, it must have been awful.
    It just happened so quickly, he worked for a printers and said when he was loading paper into a machine his left hand just wouldnt function, he went to the docs and after a few tests etc he was diagnosed with MND. It was the suddenness of his deterioration though, within a short time he couldn't hold a pint glass, then he was drinking out of a kids beaker, then he struggled to walk, all happened very quickly, housebound then hospital then sadly his breathing muscles went then he was gone.

Prior to that he was involved in refereeing juvenile/amateur league football as well as coaching the Cleekim Inn/Duddingston Mull football team.

Tragic

Standing on the terraces back then, he was the type of player that you could easily find to dislike, to hurl abuse at. But this illness goes way beyond the colour of shirt, or the on-field attitude of a player. A player who, although we as opposing fans of many clubs he played against gave more than a lot of stick to, was actually a very talented individual. I'm sure that the whole football community wish him all the best for what will be a very difficult future.

First Team Breakthrough
    Just finished reading Doddie Weirs autobiography and I have met Doddie a few times years ago when I worked in the family Bank. Gives a great insight in to the disease and he is living on borrowed time unfortunately. My daughter has MS in her late 20,s which is also a critical illness but thankfully a lot more controllable. MND is shocking

I saw the footage of him earlier.

Regardless of what team you support, regardless of what you might even have thought of him as a player, you would need to be inhuman not to feel really emotional seeing a once fit and healthy sportsman sitting in a hospital bed and needing to use a computer to be able to speak.

Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to do it justice. It's one of the worst illnesses I've ever heard of. I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.

Left by mutual consent!
    Worst death sentence there is. Bar none.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Absolutely hated him on the park. He was a dirty, dirty ******* that peddled to the very worst elements of the Rangers fans and thought nothing of putting in some bruising tackles and off-the-ball extras. But then, part of the reason I hated him was because he was a very effective player for that Rangers side.

I find it utterly heartbreaking seeing his deterioration over the years - I suspect we're going to watch some similar heartbreak with Doddie Weir as his condition also deteriorates. I hope one day they'll find a cure, as it must be absolutely horrific for the victim - with a sharp mind, knowing your body is gradually shutting itself down.

It's not often I praise The Rangers' fans, but they're constantly hosting special events to raise money for MND charities in his name - he frequently attends them where he can, and the fans have contributed a lot to his family in addition to the donations. A lot of these events aren't what I'd call "palatable" mind you, but that's another conversation.

I feared the worst when I noticed the thread title, so I'm pleased it wasn't what I expected.
    Last edited by Sylar; 10-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Tragic
    Absolutely heartbreaking
    My heart goes out to Fernando and his family
    Football rivalries pale into insignificance when a healthy young sportsman is cruelly cut down by such a debilitating and incapacitating illness in the prime of his life

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    I’m not going to start quoting some of you guys (there are too many) on this thread but, what a decent set of comments you’ve made on this horrific subject.

I applaud you all.

A horrible player he was to play against but wow, nobody in their right mind would wish this on anyone.

All the very best (albeit too late, I fear) Fernando. xx

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    That sky news video is just heartbreaking.

Of course he was someone that when he played against you, you did not like him one bit but if he was playing for you, you’d love him because he was someone that give his all on that pitch.

It’s just a bloody f****** shame for someone so young as well to suffer a horrible disease like that.

Heart breaking illness. He has fought this horrendous disease bravely like he fought for his team every time he walked on the park.

I wish him all the very best in the world.

Life can be cruel and brutal. Reminds you to enjoy life while you can because you never know whats around the corner. This was a professional athlete. I'm sure Fernando would swap a crappy day at work for being healthy. Puts things in perspective. My heart goes out to him.

So sad to see. Tragic for him and his family. God Bless Him.

Testimonial Due
    An excellent player who most loved to hate when he was at Rangers but you really wouldn’t wish this horrible disease on your worst enemy.

Tragic to see any young man cut down like this. Like all real football fans my very best wishes go to him and his family.

Horrible way to end your days, a player I hated but one I'd have in my team in a heartbeat, sickening disease.

I hated Ricksen as a player. Absolutely despised him. Tells you how good he was. Terrific player. My mother has dementia which i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy but she's is in her own world at least. People with MND are fully aware what is happening to them until the end. It's an absolute sin. Heartbreaking seeing the guy like that.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Horrible horrible thing, something like this should be an open and shut case for Euthanasia.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Left Peg View Post
    Standing on the terraces back then, he was the type of player that you could easily find to dislike, to hurl abuse at. But this illness goes way beyond the colour of shirt, or the on-field attitude of a player. A player who, although we as opposing fans of many clubs he played against gave more than a lot of stick to, was actually a very talented individual. I'm sure that the whole football community wish him all the best for what will be a very difficult future.

Those are my sentiments exactly.

Promising Youngster
    As someone who has the disease most of your comments are spot on no sure about the euthanasia comment but might change my mind on that one as it progresses.I am lucky so far as my speech ,swallowing and breathing are ok but my legs have virtually stopped working hands and arms starting to deteriorate.Its so frustrating as they dont know what causes it or have any treatment yet.As previously mentioned you would not wish MND on your worst enemy it makes me weep every time I see Fernando and probably best if he does not suffer much longer.if you have a god say a prayer for him.On a positive note I get a discounted season ticket and my wife gets to come as my carer so not all bad .

Quote Originally Posted by hibby al View Post
    As someone who has the disease most of your comments are spot on no sure about the euthanasia comment but might change my mind on that one as it progresses.I am lucky so far as my speech ,swallowing and breathing are ok but my legs have virtually stopped working hands and arms starting to deteriorate.Its so frustrating as they dont know what causes it or have any treatment yet.As previously mentioned you would not wish MND on your worst enemy it makes me weep every time I see Fernando and probably best if he does not suffer much longer.if you have a god say a prayer for him.On a positive note I get a discounted season ticket and my wife gets to come as my carer so not all bad .
    Brilliant attitude mate

My thoughts are with you, I hope that your quality of life is as good as it possibly can be for as long as possible.

Stay strong pal.

First Team Breakthrough
    100% right attitude mate, All the best.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Puts a lot of peoples minor moans into perspective, and good to see you still getting along to ER.

Promising Youngster
    Thanks guys it gives me strength to read your kind words,I have become almost manic about making sure I get to games only missed one at home because I felt unwell (2-0 win against celtic typical).So will try for a full house next season ,thank goodness for the ladies world cup to keep me going through the summer hopefully they will qualify for next stage.Did not mean to hijack the thread as its not about me just felt I had to say something to support Fernando .