hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

1. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll wait and see what he does before taking note of twitter idiots.
    Absolutely Dave. A lot if bitter fans hacked off that he didn’t sign a new contract. And they seemed to think he was on his way to their South Yorkshire rivals.

Welcome to Hibs Joe

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

'S' Form
    I find it fascinating that we're able to attract a number of League One / Championship players on our budget just now.

Not only does it show that we're an attractive option for them, but it also shows we're (assumedly) able to pay them what they want.

When you look at the likes of McGeough and Cummings leaving Hibs for the promised land of League One / the Championship, it's interesting that players such as Newell and Jackson are moving in the opposite direction to Hibs for a new challenge having established themselves as players in those leagues.

To be fair to Cummings and McGeough, they had played at Hibs for a number of years and moved to big clubs who could pay them far more than we could. Hopefully this means that we won't see our top players leaving for the likes of arguably smaller clubs like Rotherham for a big pay rise in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Was that not our fault though, as we wanted to see how he played?
    McLeish’s biggest mistake here.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    The manager knows about him. I'll take his judgement.
    That's fine by me I wasn't being critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    What a pretentious pile of ..........

I'm quite sure you know absolutely nothing about most players, and I'm sure the forum can wait for your expert assessment.
    I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Come down off your high horse eh?

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    Per your username, how much did you know about David Gray before he signed for us?
    Nothing, I've absolutely no idea why I'm being slated for my comment. I was simply saying that I know nothing about him and wouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon of criticising the signing of someone without seeing him play.

This place is unreal at times.

We got Gareth Evans from there and he turned out ‘alright’ :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    That's fine by me I wasn't being critical.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Come down off your high horse eh?

Nothing, I've absolutely no idea why I'm being slated for my comment. I was simply saying that I know nothing about him and wouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon of criticising the signing of someone without seeing him play.

This place is unreal at times.
    Ignore them mate, more of the easily offended brigade, not worth bothering about 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Ignore them mate, more of the easily offended brigade, not worth bothering about 👍
    It's honestly unreal on here at times, it really is.

Plenty of people criticising this signing online and I make what i thought was a harmless post saying that I would reserve judgement until I see him for myself. I don't think it's fair to judge people until you see a player in the flesh.

The personal slurs on myself are really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    We got Gareth Evans from there and he turned out ‘alright’ :)
    Diving header goal on his debut against Dundee if I remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    It's honestly unreal on here at times, it really is.

Plenty of people criticising this signing online and I make what i thought was a harmless post saying that I would reserve judgement until I see him for myself. I don't think it's fair to judge people until you see a player in the flesh.

The personal slurs on myself are really disappointing.
    You also get folk delighted about an unknown signing which I’ve never understood. The best example being big Dave the Lithuanian

Seriously looking forward to this season

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Was that not our fault though, as we wanted to see how he played?
    Yes. We got him from Raith. His agent used to watch us train too. Eck with Diddy and Mowbray taking away Riordans contract have to go down as two of the worst... until you can say Bobby Mann.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    McLeish’s biggest mistake here.
    I’ll raise you...The Tank. 😂

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    In regards to the negative tweets from Rotherham fans, the majority are from a few days ago when he was rumoured to joining local rivals Doncaster.

Left by mutual consent!
    The majority of the tweets are saying we have a player on our hands

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    I mind versus Dundee Utd ( I think ) we were 2-0 down, Evans gets sent on from the bench and I said to my mate “what’s that headless chicken going to do ?!”

He scored 2 and we won 3-2

I've spoken to a couple of Rotherham fans tonight and they rate him.
    They say he is good on the ball with an excellent delivery but he seemed to lose a bit of form/confidence this season also seems to flit in and out of games but apparently when he's on it he is really good.

They think he'll be a good signing for us.

I don't know how this compares with the Agathe deal at all, and also don't see how McLeish was in any way to blame for the situation. Agathe had originally said he was more than happy to stay with Hibs, and an agent was used to try and agree terms with Hibs on a longer deal. I believe the agent was none other than Allan Preston. Meanwhile, his girlfriends family in Kirkcaldy had not seemingly been happy about him signing for Hibs, and ANOTHER agent was used, negotiating terms with Celtic at the same time as the Hibs negotiations were going on.

That was the story that was doing the rounds, and it might be complete nonsense for all I know, but I'm surprised nobody on here has even mentioned it, even though this is not a thread about Agathe.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    good that we are getting signings in early and by all accounts they seam decent enough, a good pre-season with the players we want will lead to a good kick off to the season i hope. welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I hate 2 year deals.
    Same but we may have an option for +1 after 1..

Good luck Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I’ll raise you...The Tank. 😂
    Dropping latapy for the final

One of my good mates is a Rotherham fan. Here’s what he had to say about Joe:

“On his day, he’s great - decent on the ball and good passer”

“Can be hugely frustrating just running into trouble and giving it away and lacks effort sometimes. But he's equally likely to be the best player on the pitch. Well obviously not so much in the Championship, but definitely in League 1”.

“10 minute spells you wonder how he's only playing in league one. Then he gives it away 5 times in a row. Mercurial”.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I don't know how this compares with the Agathe deal at all, and also don't see how McLeish was in any way to blame for the situation. Agathe had originally said he was more than happy to stay with Hibs, and an agent was used to try and agree terms with Hibs on a longer deal. I believe the agent was none other than Allan Preston. Meanwhile, his girlfriends family in Kirkcaldy had not seemingly been happy about him signing for Hibs, and ANOTHER agent was used, negotiating terms with Celtic at the same time as the Hibs negotiations were going on.

That was the story that was doing the rounds, and it might be complete nonsense for all I know, but I'm surprised nobody on here has even mentioned it, even though this is not a thread about Agathe.
    Signing him on a three month “trial” was his mistake.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Official Site: JOE NEWELL SIGNS ON

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    One of my good mates is a Rotherham fan. Here’s what he had to say about Joe:

“On his day, he’s great - decent on the ball and good passer”

“Can be hugely frustrating just running into trouble and giving it away and lacks effort sometimes. But he's equally likely to be the best player on the pitch. Well obviously not so much in the Championship, but definitely in League 1”.

“10 minute spells you wonder how he's only playing in league one. Then he gives it away 5 times in a row. Mercurial”.
    Sounds like the type of player that could make a difference...maybe not every game but that’s why you have a squad!

Also maybe a fresh start and a new challenge might just see him focus a bit more and look to get consistency into his game.

We are never going to sign ‘complete’ players so ones with the skills already but with the potential to improve sounds like a smart way to go...here’s hoping we have a good one here

Welcome to Hibs Joe.

From what I'm reading he seems like a bit of a hot and cold player … it better be hot 90% of the time or me n' the boo boys will be rubbing our hands

Delighted with this signing,type of player our midfield needs.and sounds a top lad as well.good business hibs and hecky! 👍.whos next I wonder??😶

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post

In off the underside of the bar ?

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    In off the underside of the bar ?
    That's the one, sure he dived through bodies tk get his head on the ball. Or maybe that goal has just got better in my head over all these years 😂😂

Reading between the lines on the various Rotherham supporters forums, Newell is your typical winger i.e. inconsistent.
    Having said that they state he has great ability and hopefully the new challenge will see him burn more hot than cold.
    Importantly he has played over 30 games in each of the last 5 season so we are not bringing in a treatment room dweller.
    I think he will provide us with some great moments and a little frustration.
    All things considered, a thumbs up from me.

Strikers and combative midfielder signings next please.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 10-06-2019 at 01:02 AM.