hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

Edinburgh Select

The Liverpool at Murrayfield thread has got me thinking about the “Edinburgh Select” matches that used to happen fairly regularly in the 50’s and 60’s. They must have been fun matches to watch in a time when there was very little bitterness between supporters of Hibs and Hearts. Can any of the old guard remember what colour strip the team wore ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Liverpool at Murrayfield thread has got me thinking about the “Edinburgh Select” matches that used to happen fairly regularly in the 50’s and 60’s. They must have been fun matches to watch in a time when there was very little bitterness between supporters of Hibs and Hearts. Can any of the old guard remember what colour strip the team wore ?
    Don't know about earlier but I went to a Edin Select game v Bayern Munich in 80's/90's and they wore black & white.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm old enough to have attended a few Edinburgh Select games against Newcastle, Chelsea and Burnley. From what I remember the games were played alternately at Easter Road and Tynecastle. When playing at ER, the team wore Hibs strips and consisted of 6 Hibs players and vice versa when playing at T'castle.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    I'm old enough to have attended a few Edinburgh Select games against Newcastle, Chelsea and Burnley. From what I remember the games were played alternately at Easter Road and Tynecastle. When playing at ER, the team wore Hibs strips and consisted of 6 Hibs players and vice versa when playing at T'castle.
    Never happen now. Mercer put paid to that.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    thanks

@hibs.net private member
    So what Hearts players would make a current Edinburgh select, green tinted specs off??

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    So what Hearts players would make a current Edinburgh select, green tinted specs off??
    Haring, possibly soutar but he's probe to a car crash. Haring is the only definite one for me

You'd struggle to have any Hearts players included imo. Maybe Naismith if fit

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Well, green tinted specs off - Hibs have been the dominant team in Edinburgh the last few years, better derby record and regularly finishing above Craig Leveins Hearts. The league table doesn't lie and so Hibs being the better team with better players would naturally have the dominant numbers in a current Edinburgh select. The Edinburgh select would also have to be coached by Hibs coaches and play in the Hibs way. The votes have been counted on quality, style and type of football on show. Hearts long ball physical game would need to give over to the free flowing cavalier typically entertaining Hibs style we all know and love. See Horgan's sumptous winner at Tynecastle for example.

Marciano
    Gray
    Souttar
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    S. Allan
    Haring
    Horgan
    Naismith if fit, if not Mallan
    Kamberi

Hard on Ikpeazu as he is a handful, he just misses out due to the select team playing in the Hibs total football way.

Genuinely trying to think of any other Hearts players of note but coming up short.

Team would need adjusted in 6 months to accomodate Porteous

Halkett could be decent though will be new signings on both sides. However there is a set trend of Hibs signing good players and Hearts/Levein signing a lot of guff - see last couple of league placings 😁

Blog Entries
    I was at the Chelsea game at Tiny in 1960. IIRC Jimmy Greaves scored all 4 of Chelsea's goals, most of which involved him strolling past the keeper & rolling the ball into the net. As the excellent article says, in those days it really was the only way to see top English players in action.

It used to be 6 players from one side 5 from the other depending on which ground it was played at. I personally would LOVE to see this start up again..all the matches were for Charity.

We should invite a top team from a different country each year and play it alternatively at ER or Castle View stadium

Proceeds split 50/50 between Edinburgh Homeless charities and a charity of the visiting teams choice.

Edinburgh Select should play in an all white kit with green trim when played at ER and maroon trim when played at Castle View.. replica Shirts should be sold with money also going to charity.

It used to be 6 players from one side 5 from the other depending on which ground it was played at. I personally would LOVE to see this start up again..all the matches were for Charity.

We should invite a top team from a different country each year and play it alternatively at ER or Castle View stadium

Proceeds split 50/50 between Edinburgh Homeless charities and a charity of the visiting teams choice.

Edinburgh Select should play in an all white kit with green trim when played at ER and maroon trim when played at Castle View.. replica Shirts should be sold with money also going to charity.
    We could have it preseason and use the the old festival cup name

@hibs.net private member
    Why would we want it though ? Doesn’t help either team prepare for the season ? And do we really need a friendly event ?

No thanks.

Left by mutual consent!
    Cheer for a hearts player scoring beside they scarf twirling flumps? I’ll pass.

Left by mutual consent!

Fortunately for insurance reasons this would never come to pass.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Well, green tinted specs off - Hibs have been the dominant team in Edinburgh the last few years, better derby record and regularly finishing above Craig Leveins Hearts. The league table doesn't lie and so Hibs being the better team with better players would naturally have the dominant numbers in a current Edinburgh select. The Edinburgh select would also have to be coached by Hibs coaches and play in the Hibs way. The votes have been counted on quality, style and type of football on show. Hearts long ball physical game would need to give over to the free flowing cavalier typically entertaining Hibs style we all know and love. See Horgan's sumptous winner at Tynecastle for example.

Marciano
    Gray
    Souttar
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    S. Allan
    Haring
    Horgan
    Kamberi

Hard on Ikpeazu as he is a handful, he just misses out due to the select team playing in the Hibs total football way.

Genuinely trying to think of any other Hearts players of note but coming up short.

Halkett could be decent though will be new signings on both sides. However there is a set trend of Hibs signing good players and Hearts/Levein signing a lot of guff - see last couple of league placings 😁
    Like you I am struggling to think of any Hearts player that would walk into the HIBS side

I don’t think Haring will be coming near Daz anytime soon 😂

Young Cochrane looked the part but tired badly after about twenty minutes in the recent 1-1 game

Ikpeazu was a handful but looked as though he was unfit and struggling to run and breathing through his arse but still managed to get on the end of a lucky deflection in the box

I would have Hanlon on his A game before Soapy Soutar every day of the week
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-06-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Don't know about earlier but I went to a Edin Select game v Bayern Munich in 80's/90's and they wore black & white.
    Was alas at that game. Edinburgh select won from memory. Out of curiosity did Darren Jackson play as the lone Meadowbank player?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post

Marciano
    Gray
    Souttar
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    S. Allan
    Haring
    Horgan
    Kamberi

& just to add, Edinburgh Select should have to play at gold standard Easter Road now that it has been made official Easter Road is Edinburgh's premier football stadium (yes we knew that already but nice to see it recognised as fact by the SFA).
    Also in fairness it would be better for the Edinburgh public to potentially get more people along with it having a bigger capacity than Tynecastle.

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Was alas at that game. Edinburgh select won from memory. Out of curiosity did Darren Jackson play as the lone Meadowbank player?
    Think Meadowbak player was Alan Lawrence who was I believe a Hibs fan . I was at the match ( with some Bavarians ) but don`t remember much about it . Munich cause it was / is twin city of Edinburgh .

It would be a good idea to revive the custom and might go some way to smoothing the hatred that's crept in and is so stupid.

Left by mutual consent!

That article mentions the select side wearing white shirts with black shorts.

The city council coat of arms (the shield with the castle on it) is black, red and white which I think are loosely recognised as Edinburgh's 'colours' when it comes to such events. Pretty sure the Edinburgh rugby team used to play in something approximating to that colour format.