hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 46 of 46
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not in 78. It's here in this vid:

    https://youtu.be/Ry3gQVZveuc?t=251

    Only Celgers got a double page. I remember being outraged as an 8 year old.
    Glad to see my memory hadn't failed me...bizarre call to feature only seven players from the non Old Firm clubs!

    It's a real nostalgia blast seeing that album again. Mine was stuck together with sellotape due to the fact I would flick through it endlessly. My knowledge of UK footballers back then was exhaustive compared to today when I'd struggle to name a single player for many clubs!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Age
    45
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not in 78. It's here in this vid:

    https://youtu.be/Ry3gQVZveuc?t=251

    Only Celgers got a double page. I remember being outraged as an 8 year old.
    Thanks. I based my information on the '78 album giving the two page spread to the Scottish clubs based on the fact that the only images of a completed '78 album I could find showed Celtic. Some things just never change.

  4. #33
    First Team Breakthrough Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    62
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Off on a tangent slightly.

    Did any of the more ‘elderly’ readers here collect the football badges and coins collection given out by petrol stations?

    I was given the 1966 England WC squad coin collection and a full set of badges of all the league clubs in the UK, issued by Esso I think.

    Yes but I think it was the 1970 world cup in Mexico???. My dad had a company car and was doing a lot of travelling at the time so was buying loads of petrol. Every friday when he got home from work and had filled the car with petrol, there would be a couple of world cup coins for my brother and I. Think I might still have them somewhere, can only remember that I never completed the set probably missing about half a dozen or so.

    Did find a set of bubble gum cards recently from my primary school days was around about 1967 was all Scottish players, can remember some of the Hibs players in the set, Pat Stanton, John Madsen, Alan McGraw, Joe Davis and a couple of others maybe.

  5. #34
    First Team Regular Lucy Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Beyond the sea
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes but I think it was the 1970 world cup in Mexico???. My dad had a company car and was doing a lot of travelling at the time so was buying loads of petrol. Every friday when he got home from work and had filled the car with petrol, there would be a couple of world cup coins for my brother and I. Think I might still have them somewhere, can only remember that I never completed the set probably missing about half a dozen or so.

    Did find a set of bubble gum cards recently from my primary school days was around about 1967 was all Scottish players, can remember some of the Hibs players in the set, Pat Stanton, John Madsen, Alan McGraw, Joe Davis and a couple of others maybe.
    You're right, it was 1970.

    Blue board with silver coins?

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    11,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes but I think it was the 1970 world cup in Mexico???. My dad had a company car and was doing a lot of travelling at the time so was buying loads of petrol. Every friday when he got home from work and had filled the car with petrol, there would be a couple of world cup coins for my brother and I. Think I might still have them somewhere, can only remember that I never completed the set probably missing about half a dozen or so.

    Did find a set of bubble gum cards recently from my primary school days was around about 1967 was all Scottish players, can remember some of the Hibs players in the set, Pat Stanton, John Madsen, Alan McGraw, Joe Davis and a couple of others maybe.
    I have my grandad's coins from 1970. I know they include Bobby Charlton, Colin Bell, Martin Peters. The set isn't complete.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  7. #36
    First Team Regular Lucy Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Beyond the sea
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have my grandad's coins from 1970. I know they include Bobby Charlton, Colin Bell, Martin Peters. The set isn't complete.
    And, the never to be forgotten, Keith Newton!!

    Who?


  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    28,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, it was 1970.

    Blue board with silver coins?
    Think it was Esso
    I had the full board, no idea where it is now

  9. #38
    First Team Regular Lucy Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Beyond the sea
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think it was Esso
    I had the full board, no idea where it is now
    Yep, thought it was Esso too.

    Probably worth about tuppence ha'penny now!

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Off on a tangent slightly.

    Did any of the more ‘elderly’ readers here collect the football badges and coins collection given out by petrol stations?

    I was given the 1966 England WC squad coin collection and a full set of badges of all the league clubs in the UK, issued by Esso I think.
    I've got the full collection of badges that Esso did along with the Scotland and England coins for the 1990 world cup

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    32,602
    the coins for the esso ones were absolutely brilliant, they were like money a blue folder/sleeve thing about the size of a LP record

  12. #41
    First Team Regular Lucy Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Beyond the sea
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the coins for the esso ones were absolutely brilliant, they were like money a blue folder/sleeve thing about the size of a LP record
    Exactly!

    I was told that some of the most difficult ones to get were the most famous players, like Lee and Bell.

    The more obscure players were ten a penny!

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,843
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got the full collection of badges that Esso did along with the Scotland and England coins for the 1990 world cup
    Did Esso (or similar petrol station) do a collection of mini football figures? My dad was posted in England at the time so might just have been for 1970 England World Cup squad.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

  14. #43
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    15,945
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you not have to lick them like a stamp ?
    That was the case for the 78 WC "stickers", applying a damp cloth also had the desired effect. (It might not have been Panini though).

    I think it might've been this.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 10-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,843
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Esso (or similar petrol station) do a collection of mini football figures? My dad was posted in England at the time so might just have been for 1970 England World Cup squad.
    Found it!!

    Joe Mercer Great Britain Soccer Squad 1971!

    It was from Cleveland garages

    9zslyo.jpg
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    6,752
    I watched the whole video despite not being that into cards.

    You present really well!

    I hope you will do another video on 'The Best Oyster Bars' in New York City.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Age
    45
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched the whole video despite not being that into cards.

    You present really well!

    I hope you will do another video on 'The Best Oyster Bars' in New York City.
    Thank you for the kind compliment, however, I will not be reviewing "The Best Oyster Bars" in New York City. I ate oysters once, and that was only to impress the girl i was on a date with. I find them absolutely disgusting .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved