hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eilidh barbour is an excellent presenter
    Comes across as a natural but clearly does her homework, whether football or golf. Was a very decent golfer herself I gather. Bonny too. (Cue criticism from MWC.) Gabs is good, but I think Eilidh will soon take over as the top female sports presenter.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Scotland have some great potential at youth level in the defensive area. Hopefully see them coming in over the next 4 years or so.
    Not having a go..

But are you sure ??

From what I’ve seen and coaches I’ve spoken too the lack of decent defenders is a major concern.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Not having a go..

But are you sure ??

From what I’ve seen and coaches I’ve spoken too the lack of decent defenders is a major concern.
    There are some quality CH at 15/16. A few of them already playing first team football. I’m not a huge fan of the FT SFA coaches and their ability to bring them into the National squads. SFA seems to have an obsession with putting meat onto players rather than making them more physical athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The goals are too big for most of the women goalies. It makes for more goals and thus more entertainment but it's a bit deflating to see the ball sailing over the keeper's head and into the net.
    Never a big fan of this statement.

The goal size is fine.

Same with tennis net size etc.

The issue I feel is that there isn’t really enough goalkeepers playing football.

More needs to be done to increase the number playing that position and over time you will get a higher level.

The keepers have certainly improved over the last few years at major competitions but I’m sure if Shelly was asked she would privately say we aren’t producing enough and her hands are tied with what she is picking.

Never a big fan of this statement.

The goal size is fine.

Same with tennis net size etc.

The issue I feel is that there isn’t really enough goalkeepers playing football.

More needs to be done to increase the number playing that position and over time you will get a higher level.

The keepers have certainly improved over the last few years at major competitions but I’m sure if Shelly was asked she would privately say we aren’t producing enough and her hands are tied with what she is picking.
    Agree with this. Not a lot of goalies out there.

There are some quality CH at 15/16. A few of them already playing first team football. I’m not a huge fan of the FT SFA coaches and their ability to bring them into the National squads. SFA seems to have an obsession with putting meat onto players rather than making them more physical athletes.
    Not sure..having watched some of the youth international games recently at Oriam etc we are still far behind when it comes to the level of other nations.

I know Glasgow City, Hibs, Spartans and Celtic (who seem to hover up lots of youth talent) have some decent defenders for Scottish level but like Corsie and Beattie we need a Kim Little level standard player at the back of we are to improve / continue qualifying for tournaments.

I think we continue to produce midfield and attackers but we will concede if defenders aren’t coached better / keepers aren’t recruited.

Left by mutual consent!
    Going to be raging if Canada don’t win this. Commentator is getting on my nerves too.

Not sure..having watched some of the youth international games recently at Oriam etc we are still far behind when it comes to the level of other nations.

I know Glasgow City, Hibs, Spartans and Celtic (who seem to hover up lots of youth talent) have some decent defenders for Scottish level but like Corsie and Beattie we need a Kim Little level standard player at the back of we are to improve / continue qualifying for tournaments.

I think we continue to produce midfield and attackers but we will concede if defenders aren’t coached better / keepers aren’t recruited.
    I think we continue to miss some great players at international level. At regional level they often don’t even pick natural defenders.

Left by mutual consent!
    Back on topic 2-0 Canada.

I think we continue to miss some great players at international level. At regional level they often don’t even pick natural defenders.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Back on topic 2-0 Canada.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was wondering that myself however they showed at half time a Dutch player tried to give her a drink in a break of play and the Cameroon player smacked the bottle out of her hand spraying the water everywhere. Totally unnecessary and seen by most of the dutch fans.

ta for explaining what happened i'l take them off my 'dislike' list again, for the time being :)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Comes across as a natural but clearly does her homework, whether football or golf. Was a very decent golfer herself I gather. Bonny too. (Cue criticism from MWC.) Gabs is good, but I think Eilidh will soon take over as the top female sports presenter.

very knowledgeable it's nice having two scots girls as very decent sports presenters...Hazel Irvine being the other

Eilidh is a player herself. Was turning out for thistle prior to a recent injury.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    the lassie got touched in the box, penalty surely ?
    I'm biting my tongue here.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Shot went clean over Alexander's head.
    The goals are just too big. It's a large area for a big bloke to defend let alone someone of smaller frame.
    I have an acquaintance who plays college soccer in the state and is pretty good this is her take on it

The reality is that the quality of women's goalkeeping isn't as good as it could be or should be. This could be because of lack of coaching, improper coaching, not learning the necessary fundamentals of the position, lack of athleticism, etc. There is no reason to play in smaller goals just because some of the goalkeepers are missing the mark. I stand at around 171cm but do not struggle with shots over my head very often because I trained the proper technique and established a strong plyometric base in order to be athletic enough to reach the higher shots. As well as this, women in many of these foreign countries have not had access to quality coaching, nor have they been playing the game for very long. Many are only recently being granted permission to play the game even. Take Argentina for example; the women's team ceased to exist in 2016 due to lack of their country's support, then only played a few friendly games against U.S. universities (including my own) in order to prepare for the world stage. This is because they did not have equal OPPORTUNITY, not equal compensation for their play. Playing in smaller goals would hinder the necessary progress that the women's game needs. Until the women's game garners the support and viewership, and until more countries begin to reach a standard of play that is comparable to that of the U.S., Japan, England, etc., we should all be advocating for equal opportunity to play the game, rather than equal pay. We should advocate for the women's teams to get a chance to represent their country with financial backing for the programs themselves first, and let the players establish their worth for a decent salary. But this would all come with time, and downgrading the women to smaller goals would stretch this timeline significantly. Just my two cents.

From what I see of age group girls football here The standard of goalkeeping coming through unfortunately isn't great

The last few results, where the bottom two teams in the other groups have been well beaten, is potentially good news for Scotland. I think if USA hammer Chile later on, and we beat Argentina by a couple of goals, we now have good chance of qualifying as one of the best 3rd place teams.

Left by mutual consent!
    **** sake the Thais scored. There goes my bet. 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The last few results, where the bottom two teams in the other groups have been well beaten, is potentially good news for Scotland. I think if USA hammer Chile later on, and we beat Argentina by a couple of goals, we now have good chance of qualifying as one of the best 3rd place teams.
    depending on France v Nigeria we might only need a win.

Argentina will need to beat us too so hopefully can't sit too deep.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Not even a yellow card there for the US midfielder planting her knee right into the Chileans ribs. Looked like she was going for the ball but in the current climate that's a red card for dangerous play. And I suggest it would have been in most instances against a big nation. Again, lack of consistency.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    More horrendous officiating: never a bloody corner!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    3-0 USA.

I can’t decide if they’re just THAT good, or if Chile are just awful.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

we want the US to run up the score here. chiles last game is Thailand which they'll win so a massive dent to their goal difference helps us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    More horrendous officiating: never a bloody corner!
    VAR is engendering a climate of complacency among the officials IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I'm biting my tongue here.

woopsy

dammit, this chilean keeper could quite possibly keep her team in the cup

This VAR carry on is becoming farcical.

USA just awarded a penalty that actually got reviewed, despite the foul being committed about 2 yards outside the box.

Thankfully justice was done and it was put wide but someone really needs to get a grip of this as it's starting to get out of hand.

I don’t want to be a downer but why does it seem like 80% of players in this competition can only kick the ball the way they’re facing?

Nothing to do with VAR. The ref made the decision.

It was never inside the box so I’m not sure why the ref interpreted it otherwise. Also still no explanation or understanding of why the Japan handball v Scotland wasn’t looked at. That is a VAR issue. And a bit of a mystery.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Nothing to do with VAR. The ref made the decision.

It was never inside the box so I’m not sure why the ref interpreted it otherwise. Also still no explanation or understanding of why the Japan handball v Scotland wasn’t looked at. That is a VAR issue. And a bit of a mystery.
    Agree surprisingly little said about the officiating in that game Scotland should have made much more of it. Arguably 2 pens should have been given in second half one an utter stonewaller the other less obvious but still a penalty.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...well-1-4948180

I’d like to see Hibs building on the success if its women’s team and tradition of nurturing talent