hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there a big difference between behaviour of some England fans in Portugal this week and that of some English ( and some Scottish ) tourists in Benidorm , Magaluf , Albufeira , etc every year ? Guessing that thousands of Scotland fans will be getting drunk during day before Scotland play on Saturday night just as the centre of Brussels will not be a good place for locals or tourists the day Scotland play there next week .
    There won’t be families running from bottles being thrown in Grand-Place by Scotland fans next week.

Tourists will be fine. Might even get a few free beers bought for them.

J

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    Why should what I wear mean I deserve to be attacked? If a Jambo wears a jambo top down Easter Road on game day because he/she wants to does it warrant an attack by Hibs fans or vice versa?

If I was a 14 year old kid does that warrant an attack?
    What was the Scotland game in Spain when you were "attacked" for wearing an England shirt.

You have been asked this a number of times now but haven't managed to respond.

Were you seriously injured? , How did the Police handle your complaint?, How many people "attacked" you.?

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    What was the Scotland game in Spain when you were "attacked" for wearing an England shirt.

You have been asked this a number of times now but haven't managed to respond.

Were you seriously injured? , How did the Police handle your complaint?, How many people "attacked" you.?
    He said Alicante 2011 so that would have been when we lost 3-1 in the euro qualifier. Glad to be of help.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    He said Alicante 2011 so that would have been when we lost 3-1 in the euro qualifier. Glad to be of help.
    TBH stoatin around in an England shirt at a Scotland away game (especially one that Scotland either would qualify or get knocked out) is a bit thick and at best provocative.

That’s like me going to one of the World Cup fan zones down here in my Scotland jersey. I’m not saying violence is justified, but you have a responsibility to yourself not to put yourselves in positions where with alcohol flowing you could get hurt.

J
    Last edited by Bristolhibby; 07-06-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Yes I remember the game well as there was a very small Scottish support that day as it was a dead rubber as Czech Republic had a shoe in v Lithuania to be second in the group and Scotland v the World Champions away was a mismatch.

A loan English supporter being "attacked" would have been front page news and would have been discussed vehemently amongst the close tight nit Scottish fans who follow the national team abroad.

Forgive my suspicion that this so called "attack" never took place and if it did it was nothing more than verbals.

It sounds to me like an invention or an exaggeration used as a deflection tactic by someone who feels very uncomfortable about those who follow his national team.

England have the best and most knowledgable sypporters in world football but have always been plauged by a sizeable minority of supporters who have a racist, xenophobic and laughable superiority complex to anyone they perceive as different or "forgein".

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    TBH stoatin around in an England shirt at a Scotland away game (especially one that Scotland either would qualify or get knocked out) is a bit thick and at best provocative.

That’s like me going to one of the World Cup fan zones down here in my Scotland jersey. I’m not saying violence is justified, but you have a responsibility to yourself not to put yourselves in positions where with alcohol flowing you could get hurt.

J

Perhaps not the best argument, the 'asking for it' defence.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Yes I remember the game well as there was a very small Scottish support that day as it was a dead rubber as Czech Republic had a shoe in v Lithuania to be second in the group and Scotland v the World Champions away was a mismatch.

A loan English supporter being "attacked" would have been front page news and would have been discussed vehemently amongst the close tight nit Scottish fans who follow the national team abroad.

Forgive my suspicion that this so called "attack" never took place and if it did it was nothing more than verbals.

It sounds to me like an invention or an exaggeration used as a deflection tactic by someone who feels very uncomfortable about those who follow his national team.

England have the best and most knowledgable sypporters in world football but have always been plauged by a sizeable minority of supporters who have a racist, xenophobic and laughable superiority complex to anyone they perceive as different or "forgein".
    Small scottish support? We were all over the stadium. I got busted by my sixth form at the time as I was interviewed by Charles whats his face at Sky as we queued at an exhibition looking at their World Cup. Told them I had been unwell and got spotted by a teacher.

Guy in spain in a kilt with a thick essex accent
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    There won’t be families running from bottles being thrown in Grand-Place by Scotland fans next week.

Tourists will be fine. Might even get a few free beers bought for them.

J
    Quite I'll provide reports direct from the scene of this mass inebriation

Apparently Brussels has a rep for having a small yet active light fingered/looking for a fight North African population that might cause a couple of flash points, worst case scenario.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Apparently Brussels has a rep for having a small yet active light fingered/looking for a fight North African population that might cause a couple of flash points, worst case scenario.
    they were ripping guys sporrans off when we over there last time.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

I got bottled there by a couple of Nazis a few years back. I think they were expecting me to be more compliant after that.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Is there a big difference between behaviour of some England fans in Portugal this week and that of some English ( and some Scottish ) tourists in Benidorm , Magaluf , Albufeira , etc every year ? Guessing that thousands of Scotland fans will be getting drunk during day before Scotland play on Saturday night just as the centre of Brussels will not be a good place for locals or tourists the day Scotland play there next week .
    There's a huge overlap for sure. But there's an extra element of belligerence that follows England around that wants to chant about German bombers, the Pope and the IRA and is always spoiling for a fight. I don't think it's coincidence that the only Scottish support that regularly finds violent trouble abroad is our Sevconian chums.

Of course, in 99.9% of cases, it's "heavy-handed policing" that's the problem.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    There's a huge overlap for sure. But there's an extra element of belligerence that follows England around that wants to chant about German bombers, the Pope and the IRA and is always spoiling for a fight. I don't think it's coincidence that the only Scottish support that regularly finds violent trouble abroad is our Sevconian chums.

Of course, in 99.9% of cases, it's "heavy-handed policing" that's the problem.
    You need to stop inferring that nationalism plays any role in English football violence abroad, otherwise you're guilty of......erm......... jingoistic nationalism.

I've stayed in a predominantly North African area of Brussels almost every time I've been, the folk couldnae have been friendlier (unless Hibs were there), particularly when they realised we weren't English! Proclaimers blasted out in the bars etc, with the locals joining in! Nice kebabs too. 😁
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 07-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.

If you are there long enough and haven't been before I'd recommend a wee trip to Leuven (about an hour on the bus), ridiculous amount of pub/bar type establishments.