hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

England fans, same old same old.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/05/england-fans-clash-portuguese-police-fas-fears-trouble-ahead/

On D-Day of all days. Embarrassing.

"There were familiar songs about the RAF and German bombers and bottles thrown in the direction of the PSP officers in full riot gear".

2. Log in to remove the advert

The trouble has been acknowledged and condemned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48538731

The phrase "a minority" is in there, but it's good that the FA and supporters groups are up for calling these idiots out.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Sadly predictable. The lunatic/far right hooligan element which still attaches itself to the England national team doesn't seem as strong as it once was, but hasn't been completely eradicated.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I forget which tournament it was, possibly the Euros in France, but bumped into a few England fans and had a few beers with them. They were good guys and couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. They were saying they don’t wear England colours because of the perception of the fans and try to stay away from the actual venues until as late as possible because the drunken moron element invariably ruin it for everyone.

Kick them out of the next tournament that they qualify for (Euro 2020) and give their place to Scotland.

Seems to be an increase of the **** the pope chants from England recently. That along with the treatment of James McLean. West coast of Scotland problem though eh
    Last edited by Antifa Hibs; 06-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.

I know a couple of guys who followed England away for years. Good guys who like a beer, a bit banter and are, to put it politely, men of the world.

Neither bother these days after the trouble in France at the Euros. They travelled to Marseille for the game at which there was the big bother and whilst they argued England fans were largely the victims in and around the ground they both said the behaviour of some England fans travelling to the game was a disgrace.

It may be a minority but it's a vocal and prominent one.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    I caught a bit of TalkSport Drive yesterday and they had a caller on from Glasgow - a Hun - who was defending the English fans singing about the IRA and the Pope and the German bombers song saying it was just banter and showing "patriotism" - shouldn't be surprised but he then started referring to the England fans as "us / we"

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is a shame for the ordinary fan. My two brother in-laws & sister in-law, are Newcastle and England fans, great guys and love the footy not the shame. Was on holiday in Madeira with them during the world cup last year, what a laugh we had and I genuinely felt their disappointment however, they were delighted with their teams effort.

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forget which tournament it was, possibly the Euros in France, but bumped into a few England fans and had a few beers with them. They were good guys and couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. They were saying they don’t wear England colours because of the perception of the fans and try to stay away from the actual venues until as late as possible because the drunken moron element invariably ruin it for everyone.

Way back in 1990 at Italy World Cup we met a few English guys on train before Sweden match. Good guys who wouldn’t follow England in the competition because of the so called “fans”
    They even sold me a ticket for the game 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Seems to be an increase of the **** the pope chants from England recently. That along with the treat of James McLean. West coast of Scotland problem though eh
    Long term links between the English far right and Ulster loyalists.

But , nowhere to be seen in Russia last year for some reason !

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Long term links between the English far right and Ulster loyalists.
    On the week the nations of this Island honour those who gave their lives to help defeat the Nazi menace we have English Nazi’s rampaging in Porto. This **** should be taken to the main square and horsewhipped.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Seems to be an increase of the **** the pope chants from England recently. That along with the treatment of James McLean. West coast of Scotland problem though eh
    Sadly your right, #### the pope is creeping in more and more, attending many Sunderland away games I am hearing it more and more, I challenge when I can and in the main they naively don't realise what they are singing. As for James McLean he is vilified by many fans, doesn't help himself sometimes but the abuse he gets isn't right.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Kick them out of the next tournament that they qualify for (Euro 2020) and give their place to Scotland.
    So Scotland can embarrass us all with their tartan army jovial good guy bull**** while the team fails miserably again?

I'm in for that..

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    So Scotland can embarrass us all with their tartan army jovial good guy bull**** while the team fails miserably again?

I'm in for that..
    Me too, it would be amazing.

The garden furniture will have to throw itself around.

I'm in for that..
    Never understood this attitude. On a thread discussing England “fans” bad behaviour you have a go at the TA for continue to follow the team when they are poor while behaving ourselves..

I’ve spent thousands of pounds following Scotland over the years and, just like I don’t allow a Hibs defeat to ruin my weekend, why shouldn’t I make the most of my trip and enjoy seeing the world win, lose or draw?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Never understood this attitude. On a thread discussing England “fans” bad behaviour you have a go at the TA for continue to follow the team when they are poor while behaving ourselves..

I’ve spent thousands of pounds following Scotland over the years and, just like I don’t allow a Hibs defeat to ruin my weekend, why shouldn’t I make the most of my trip and enjoy seeing the world win, lose or draw?
    I get your point BUT I am sick of the old pish that Scotland supporters are all brilliantly well behaved jolly chaps who always abide by the laws of the particular city they visit. I have been attacked by a group of so called Tartan Army fans in Spain a few years back all for wearing an England shirt and having a Scottish accent... So I am probably a bit biased.

Still **** the tartan army 😂

I get your point BUT I am sick of the old pish that Scotland supporters are all brilliantly well behaved jolly chaps who always abide by the laws of the particular city they visit. I have been attacked by a group of so called Tartan Army fans in Spain a few years back all for wearing an England shirt and having a Scottish accent... So I am probably a bit biased.

Still **** the tartan army 😂
    So you've done that classic thing of having 1 bad experience and tarring thousands of people with the same brush. I was in Bratislava to watch Scotland (get thumped 3-0 for what it's worth) not long after England were "in town".

The general demeanour and opinions for the locals I spoke to of the Scots vs those of the recent English fans that were in town couldn't have been more different (although of course, the locals in question were probably doing a bit of the same as you are - 1 bad experience = tainted opinion of an entire group of ppl)

I'm off to Brussels on Sunday - can't wait for it, another belting trip in prospect.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    So you've done that classic thing of having 1 bad experience and tarring thousands of people with the same brush. I was in Bratislava to watch Scotland (get thumped 3-0 for what it's worth) not long after England were "in town".

The general demeanour and opinions for the locals I spoke to of the Scots vs those of the recent English fans that were in town couldn't have been more different (although of course, the locals in question were probably doing a bit of the same as you are - 1 bad experience = tainted opinion of an entire group of ppl)

I'm off to Brussels on Sunday - can't wait for it, another belting trip in prospect.
    You're probably right, but I think it's worth noting the attitude of a lot of Scottish supporters.. We love everyone except the English. As a Scottish man brought up by English family I adopted the English national team. To this day most Scottish people who ask me who I support get quite confrontational when I say England... Still not sure why?

I was also at the Slovakia game, but made the mistake of staying in Bratislava (which was nice) the night before but staying in Trnava after the game. That was some place, like the Slovakian version of Motherwell! 😀

You're probably right, but I think it's worth noting the attitude of a lot of Scottish supporters.. We love everyone except the English. As a Scottish man brought up by English family I adopted the English national team. To this day most Scottish people who ask me who I support get quite confrontational when I say England... Still not sure why?
    Its probably because they are our football rival. And its pretty uncommon to see a Scot wearing an England top (Rangers fans the exception). I never understand why some have an issue with any Scots wanting England to lose. Its just a rivalry (the oldest in the world). Its no different from Hibs fans wanting Hearts to lose.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Sadly predictable. The lunatic/far right hooligan element which still attaches itself to the England national team doesn't seem as strong as it once was, but hasn't been completely eradicated.
    Brexit will have reinvigorated it.

If there's one positive to come out of the whole Brexit farce, then it's that the rest of Europe are again learning to distinguish between Scotland and England. Of course, some won't like that.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    A good example of stale debates reheated as referred to in the 'established posters' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    A good example of stale debates reheated as referred to in the 'established posters' thread.
    So it's not current news then?

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Its probably because they are our football rival. And its pretty uncommon to see a Scot wearing an England top (Rangers fans the exception). I never understand why some have an issue with any Scots wanting England to lose. Its just a rivalry (the oldest in the world). Its no different from Hibs fans wanting Hearts to lose.
    Absolutely

I live in Kent (proper Brexit country) and I'm married to an English girl (she's lovely honestly )

Went to the pub with English mates (all good guys) to watch all the England games, but it didn't take much for some fans to turn on each other

When questioned about not supporting England (because Scotland ain't in the World Cup) my response was a simple one

"So Arsenal aren't in the Champions League this coming season - their fans will be backing Spurs to win, Sunderland aren't in the Premier League, bet they'll be getting behind Newcastle to lift the title...."

It shut most folk up pretty quickly

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Absolutely

I live in Kent (proper Brexit country) and I'm married to an English girl (she's lovely honestly )

Went to the pub with English mates (all good guys) to watch all the England games, but it didn't take much for some fans to turn on each other

When questioned about not supporting England (because Scotland ain't in the World Cup) my response was a simple one

"So Arsenal aren't in the Champions League this coming season - their fans will be backing Spurs to win, Sunderland aren't in the Premier League, bet they'll be getting behind Newcastle to lift the title...."

It shut most folk up pretty quickly
    Indeed. Like Brazilians sit and support Argentina. Or Germany Holland. For some reason people try to make more out of 'anyone but England' than it actually is. Loads in England never liked Andy Murray cause he made a joke about it once.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    We’ve not even reached the Godwins Law part of this thread yet, plenty legs left in it yet...

Left by mutual consent!
    I hate these type threads that are used by 'some' to further their own type jingoistic nationalism right here in Scotland. Every support has its fair share of bampots. The vast majority of England fans attend their matches, enjoy themselves and go home afterwards without engaging in any bother whatsoever just as the vast majority of Scotland fans do.