hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you don't want to go then don't, seems simple enough.

Likewise, if you want to go somewhere, just go.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    I don't think I've ever been to a friendly that hasn't been utter guff.
    Last edited by HFC93; 06-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Generally find football that doesn't involve Hibs tedious

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    I’m looking forward to this game, chance to see some top players playing close to home.
    Don’t get why folk are getting so worked up about it. Would there be the same reaction if it was city or united playing at murrayfield, I’d say not.
    Why wouldn’t there be?

I’m all for it. All the money they clubs will bring, why not? Lots of Italians and other tourists in the country at the time - bring it on. Get a Hibernian selling point in the city centre too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Generally find football that doesn't involve Hibs tedious
    Did you grow up just supporting Hibernian and not playing football? If so it’s amazing to see the best footballers in the world and the things they can do live or even on tv. I had an old video of Pele randomly that thought me how to keepie upie with a tennis ball - never once went “this is tedious where’s Hibs v Falkirk?” You usually play football first want to be a specific player then get taken to games and choose your team. At least that’s what it was like growing up. Same as I wanted to go Boris Becker when Tennis came about, didn’t describe the rest of tennis tedious (unless it was Sampras)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Likewise, if you want to go somewhere, just go.
    ... And if you're not sure about going somewhere, have a wee think and the solution will probably become apparent. Remember, you don't have to decide straightaway.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Tickets go on general sale Wednesday 12 June

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Through SRU or LFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Through SRU or LFC?
    Ticketmaster.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Where from?

First Team Breakthrough
    Hope it never happens. A "glamour friendly" against Liverpool at Murrayfield sounds a bit cringey and desperate for me. Was bad enough against Barca. I'd rather we just aspired to play them in Europe and left glamour friendlies to others. Our city neighbours managed it not so long ago.

Cringey and desperate for who exactly? It's a one off chance to see something different albeit a friendly that will have little meaningful football content. If you don't like it don't go. Your view is small minded and pathetic. It's no wonder outsiders see Scots as parochial and backward thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'm wondering if the 'GTF and support your local team' logic also applies to visitors to our fair city who choose to follow Hibs while they're here? Should they be barred from ER and ostracised on the basis they are from California or Poland or London? Weird logic if you ask me.
    Its a totally different thing. If I lived in Liverpool most of my football watching time would be spent at Goodison Park with trips to ER when I could afford it. I have no problem, absolutely none, with any person living in a city a long way from home following a local team.

But this isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about folk who ignore their local clubs to follow 'glamour' EPL clubs. I saw someone else on the thread say 'so what kids often follow two teams' and that's always been true, the difference is that these days a lot of kids follow EPL clubs as their main club with a Scottish club a distant second.

And if anybody thinks there's no harm in this game, then they should be asking themselves why EPL clubs take their knackered players on exhausting trips to China, the USA and elsewhere … Its not for the fun of it or the quality of the opposition or because the players are simply going to love it, its to attract shirt sales, sponsorship and tourist fans to their games. There are a dozen stadiums in England where Liverpool could play a friendly while Anfield is being used by the Spice girls or whoever …. let them play it at Twickers if they are so desperate to play in a rugby stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Ticketmaster.

Anyone got info on KO? SRU site says 12.00AM which I guess is a default time prior to confirmation. LFC site has it as TBC.
    Afternoon or evening?

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Its a totally different thing. If I lived in Liverpool most of my football watching time would be spent at Goodison Park with trips to ER when I could afford it. I have no problem, absolutely none, with any person living in a city a long way from home following a local team.

But this isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about folk who ignore their local clubs to follow 'glamour' EPL clubs. I saw someone else on the thread say 'so what kids often follow two teams' and that's always been true, the difference is that these days a lot of kids follow EPL clubs as their main club with a Scottish club a distant second.

And if anybody thinks there's no harm in this game, then they should be asking themselves why EPL clubs take their knackered players on exhausting trips to China, the USA and elsewhere … Its not for the fun of it or the quality of the opposition or because the players are simply going to love it, its to attract shirt sales, sponsorship and tourist fans to their games. There are a dozen stadiums in England where Liverpool could play a friendly while Anfield is being used by the Spice girls or whoever …. let them play it at Twickers if they are so desperate to play in a rugby stadium.
    Absolutely this. They're trying to increase their Scottish market it's that simple and they wouldn't play it in Glasgow. What other reason would there be? If i was Dempster or Budge I'd be seriously cheesed off. Already been mentioned but an Edinburgh team should have been involved.
    Last edited by Since452; 07-06-2019 at 08:15 AM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Absolutely this. They're trying to increase their Scottish market it's that simple and they wouldn't play it in Glasgow. What other reason would there be? If i was Dempster or Budge I'd be seriously cheesed off. Already been mentioned but an Edinburgh team should have been involved.
    Anfield hosted Take That last night, probably the reason the pitch wont be ready for the new season
    These clubs make more than enough from Scottish viewers, without trying to take our fans away
    Just bolt Liverpool

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Considering LD traveled to Madrid to watch a game between 2 clubs not from Madrid, I am not sure she will be that bothered about 2 clubs not from Edinburgh playing in Edinburgh.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Anfield hosted Take That last night, probably the reason the pitch wont be ready for the new season
    These clubs make more than enough from Scottish viewers, without trying to take our fans away
    Just bolt Liverpool
    Liverpool are unlikely to be particularly bothered about attracting fans from Scotland (population 5m). We are a drop in the ocean compared to China (1.4bn) or the US (330m).

I hope all on here that are raging against this will not be watching any of Champions League or EPL games next year. That is only bumping up viewing figures and therfore increasing the money flowing into English football from TV, which is the real issue.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    ... And if you're not sure about going somewhere, have a wee think and the solution will probably become apparent. Remember, you don't have to decide straightaway.

If anyone is struggling to decide, I would recommend using a force field analysis to help with the decision.

Although this tool is most appropriate for decisions about change, it can be easily modified to help with every day uncertainties.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    I’m looking forward to this game, chance to see some top players playing close to home.
    Don’t get why folk are getting so worked up about it. Would there be the same reaction if it was city or united playing at murrayfield, I’d say not.
    Yes. Reaction would be even worse if it was City - they truly are a despicable club. Least Utd and Liverpool have history. Amazes me all these people have an interest in English football but no-one seems to support Burnley or Palace.... funny that.

Those that support a top 4-6 English team. What's the difference between that and someone from Inverness or Dublin supporting Celtic and someone from Belfast and Ayr supporting Rangers?

Hibs and Hearts getting around 15k on a good day at £25 a pop. There will be people who have never been to either ground, never contributed a penny to football in Edinburgh or Scotland but will spend £100-150 on this day out.

Anyway mind your Salah wigs, selfie sticks and half and half scarfs.

Fair point. Maybe get Naismith, Berra, Soutar, Doom, hairy c0ckr1ng etc to act as ball boys?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

If anyone is struggling to decide, I would recommend using a force field analysis to help with the decision.

Although this tool is most appropriate for decisions about change, it can be easily modified to help with every day uncertainties.
    Not heard of that but it sounds interesting.

The main thing to avoid of course, is not wanting to go somewhere but going anyway, or almost as bad, really wanting to go somewhere but staying at home instead. Make good decisions out there everyone

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Just bolt Liverpool
    😂 Liverpool’s pitch will be ready for the new season.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Mental that folk seem to be getting upset about something which they can totally ignore and it'll have no impact on them.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Mental that folk seem to be getting upset about something which they can totally ignore and it'll have no impact on them.
    I don't agree with all the negativity, but it's not that they think it will have an impact on them, it's that they feel it will have an impact on Hibs...have you not read the thread ?

There are a significant number of young football supporters who spend more time and money supporting Top 6 English clubs than they do local clubs...that I would suggest is a cultural change since I was a boy...yes we usually had a 2nd team that were English (I loved Cloughies Forest) but I never bought a penny worth of merchandise or went to games...because I'm a Hibs supporter....that's just not the case anymore for many Edinburgh based football fans.

I can understand some of the hostility of Liverpool playing in Edinburgh against a club that's not from Edinburgh.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I don't agree with all the negativity, but it's not that they think it will have an impact on them, it's that they feel it will have an impact on Hibs...have you not read the thread ?

There are a significant number of young football supporters who spend more time and money supporting Top 6 English clubs than they do local clubs...that I would suggest is a cultural change since I was a boy...yes we usually had a 2nd team that were English (I loved Cloughies Forest) but I never bought a penny worth of merchandise or went to games...because I'm a Hibs supporter....that's just not the case anymore for many Edinburgh based football fans.

I can understand some of the hostility of Liverpool playing in Edinburgh against a club that's not from Edinburgh.
    Nail on the head. You see more young kids wearing English Prem, Real Madrid & Barcelona shirts in Edinburgh than Hibs & Hearts shirts. A game like this is not good for Edinburgh football.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Not heard of that but it sounds interesting.

The main thing to avoid of course, is not wanting to go somewhere but going anyway, or almost as bad, really wanting to go somewhere but staying at home instead. Make good decisions out there everyone
    I'm not sure I agree.

I didn't want to go to the doctor's to see about a small, uncomfortable sore on my inner jacksie. In the waiting room, the feeling of not wanting to go increased dramatically when my name was called out by an absolutely stunning doctor, half my age, called Roxy.

I was tempted to ignore her and pretend I was someone else, but steeled myself and went anyway. "How's your day been do far?", I said "Because it's about to get worse".

Obviously she had to have a look, but she needed a chaperone. A male doctor wasn't available so she brought in a female nurse to have a look with her. Kin mortified.

Anyway, I was glad I went because she prescribed me an antibiotic cream which dealt with the sore and I got her phone number*.

*I didn't get her phone number.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 07-06-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post

I’ve read it. I just think it’s a huge stretch making out there’ll be some really meaningful impact on Hibs because of this. Surely the same argument could be made with us playing Newcastle? Young laddies wanting their dads to take them to see a premiership team then deciding they support them and want a Newcastle strip etc. All because Hibs brought them up to Edinburgh for a friendly..

I’ve read it. I just think it’s a huge stretch making out there’ll be some really meaningful impact on Hibs because of this. Surely the same argument could be made with us playing Newcastle? Young laddies wanting their dads to take them to see a premiership team then deciding they support them and want a Newcastle strip etc. All because Hibs brought them up to Edinburgh for a friendly..
    Newcastle aren't one of the biggest clubs in the world. Newcastle are also playing Hibs. I'm looking forward to that one.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Murrayfield always host events every summer, we have the spice girls there pretty soon and no doubt others. This game is exactly the same. Loads of star struck fans filming the event on their phone. Each to their own, but it’s not for me. I really like watching Liverpool, but if I was going to see them it would be in a competitive game.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Really? Have you met .net before?