hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Apologies to The Baldmans Comb, my response last night after a day drinking on what was an emotional day for me was totally inappropriate and disproportionate to the posts he made. I then stupidly carried on my daft rant this morning. I was totally out of order and have no problem admitting it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies to The Baldmans Comb, my response last night after a day drinking on what was an emotional day for me was totally inappropriate and disproportionate to the posts he made. I then stupidly carried on my daft rant this morning. I was totally out of order and have no problem admitting it.
    Ha ha!
    The evils of drink.

Love a man that can apologize though.Respect for that.

These fan sites are dangerous.

The footballers on display will still show more than what we normally watch in the SPL at allegedly 100%. It’s proper football all right just on a different level that you recognise.
    Yup …. There's a chance that both teams will pass within at least 20 miles of my house on the way to Edinburgh. I never thought stuff like that could happen to ordinary folk like me.

BTW, good for you for post #391
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 17-06-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    I guess the answer lies in your second last word. Choosing a "second team" is rarely going to be about the same reasons you support your first team. So of course most people (kids) are going to choose the popular clubs, they's generally better to watch.

I agree with your last sentence. But then I also find it weird Hibs fans referring to Hibs as 'we,' unless they actually have an active role in the club. Maybe controversial...
    If you think back to the foundation of any club and their beginnings in local communities with local officials, local players and local fans that probably gave rise to 'we' as a way to refer to the team. For me it goes like this when it comes to Hibs … 'they' got relegated and spent 3 seasons in the championship during which time 'we' won the cup

Anyway …. Professional sport is the only form of 'entertainment' where folk will consistently pay for the product even when that product is utterly rank and in some cases makes them thoroughly depressed … no other form of entertainment or business in general for that matter relies on blind brand loyalty like sport does. The expression 'football without fans is nothing' is absolutely true and from that perspective its far from unreasonable for folk to refer to their club as 'we' or 'us'

Where that theory falls down a bit is when its folk with no connection to the community the club comes from and their support is purely based on the glamour, success and size of the club as advertised on television, like half the support of the ugly sisters or the guy from Lagos who is just fanatical about Man United …. their claim to the expression 'we' is weak at best.

I would also suggest that in this day and age of increasing fan ownership anybody who has bought into their club and is a part owner of it … in our case folk who have bought shares or are members of HSL or both … has increased their right to refer to the club they follow as 'we'

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If you think back to the foundation of any club and their beginnings in local communities with local officials, local players and local fans that probably gave rise to 'we' as a way to refer to the team. For me it goes like this when it comes to Hibs … 'they' got relegated and spent 3 seasons in the championship during which time 'we' won the cup

Anyway …. Professional sport is the only form of 'entertainment' where folk will consistently pay for the product even when that product is utterly rank and in some cases makes them thoroughly depressed … no other form of entertainment or business in general for that matter relies on blind brand loyalty like sport does. The expression 'football without fans is nothing' is absolutely true and from that perspective its far from unreasonable for folk to refer to their club as 'we' or 'us'

Where that theory falls down a bit is when its folk with no connection to the community the club comes from and their support is purely based on the glamour, success and size of the club as advertised on television, like half the support of the ugly sisters or the guy from Lagos who is just fanatical about Man United …. their claim to the expression 'we' is weak at best.

I would also suggest that in this day and age of increasing fan ownership anybody who has bought into their club and is a part owner of it … in our case folk who have bought shares or are members of HSL or both … has increased their right to refer to the club they follow as 'we'
    One of our oldest sung songs even starts 'We are Hibernian FC'!

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

You've clearly thought about this way more than me... Flattered you deemed my one-liner important enough for a 4 paragraph answer!

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    You've clearly thought about this way more than me... Flattered you deemed my one-liner important enough for a 4 paragraph answer!
    You shouldn't be. There are libraries full of books spawned by theories or opinions which only stretch to one sentence. You could probably write a university degree thesis on the concept of 'we' as applied to fitba fans … or at least I could

Tickets arrived today

South stand renamed “The Kop” on ground plan enclosed with tickets 😁
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 15-07-2019 at 05:11 PM.

We are still the Champions Of Europe though! The so called best team in England haven’t even come close to winning it 😂
    Add that to the fact that I have seen Liverpool win everything League titles and all, I’m pretty happy.
    Something very few people under 40 (and not many under 50) have managed.

In the meantime, the following teams have won the English top tier:

Arsenal (four times)
    Leeds United
    Manchester United (thirteen times)
    Blackburn Rovers
    Chelsea (five times)
    Manchester City (four times)
    Leicester City

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    Ha ha!
    The evils of drink.

Love a man that can apologize though.Respect for that.

These fan sites are dangerous.
    Well done mate. It takes a real person to admit behaving like a twat.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Tickets arrived today

South stand renamed “The Kop” on ground plan enclosed with tickets 😁
    Mines arrived today. Sitting above the Napoli fans.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Game is sold out now !

Not sure if Salah will be back as a few of the players giving extra holiday time after ACN and Copa America.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Any Hibs fans going who aren't going to the Alloa game on Saturday?
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    This. You very rarely saw Man City mentioned before their recent success. Always find it odd that Hibs fans go down the glory hunting route when most will dislike old Firm fans for that very reason. Also Hibs fans calling the likes of Liverpool and City 'we' is just weird to me.
    People support different teams for various reasons.

I know someone from Edinburgh who is a Sheffield Wednesday fan, that is his main team. I haven't a clue why?

A friend of mine is a born and bred Londoner who lives in Haringey near to Spurs ground and not that far from the Emirates. He supports Hull City. That is because he was at University in Hull many years ago.

My brother-in-law is a Charlton fan. He gre up in North Wales, went to University in Birmingham and now lives in Purley, near Croydon. He started watching Charlton when they were playing at Selhurst Park.

There are plenty of Newcastle and Sunderland fans here in Edinburgh (some also support Hibs or Hearts). You could hardly accuse them of being glory hunters.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I can’t get remotely interested in Hibs friendlies or even testimonials. In the case of testimonials I would rather donate to someone I thought worthy of recognition rather than attend these kind of sham matches. I am not criticising those that do, it is just something I tired of years ago.

As for a friendly involving two clubs I don’t support, well, i just can’t get excited about it. If it’s your bag, enjoy it, have a good day, take the kids, have a hotdog, just don’t bring me back a two team scarf as a souvenir.
    With so much hypocrisy, I actually feel like a Hearts fan, I am actually going to this game now with a works outing.

Anybody want me to get them a two team scarf?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

I know someone from Edinburgh who is a Sheffield Wednesday fan, that is his main team. I haven't a clue why?

A friend of mine is a born and bred Londoner who lives in Haringey near to Spurs ground and not that far from the Emirates. He supports Hull City. That is because he was at University in Hull many years ago.

My brother-in-law is a Charlton fan. He gre up in North Wales, went to University in Birmingham and now lives in Purley, near Croydon. He started watching Charlton when they were playing at Selhurst Park.

There are plenty of Newcastle and Sunderland fans here in Edinburgh (some also support Hibs or Hearts). You could hardly accuse them of being glory hunters.
    Oh totally, and I get that. I’m more talking about the more recent Man City fans. Not as bad as folks from Edinburgh that support Aberdeen due the 80s though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Why is that relevant,the two games don’t clash?
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 18-07-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

But the reason people follow the glory hunting teams is usually they were successful when these people were young and falling in love with football. There is no excuse for this in developed football cultures and leagues - Europe/Latin America. But think you can accept that in Africa and Asia where these deep leagues and cultures do not exist.

I am from Hawick and followed Hibs in the late 60s because I liked their flair style and were in Edinburgh and I could get to games. Most of my classmates followed the Old Firm. Some Leeds or Liverpool. No Hearts fans.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 18-07-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Don’t really get the seethe about “glory hunting” if people want to watch the best available games/teams live as football fans then let them get on with it.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes

Don’t really get the seethe about “glory hunting” if people want to watch the best available games/teams live as football fans then let them get on with it.
    That's fine. As long as they understand they can't slag Celtic and rangers fans for the same thing.

Nowt against either side, in fact still have a soft spot for Pool since i was a kid. However. If they want a game in Embra, unless they are playing us, them, Edin city or Spartans (etc) then they can take their star*****er fitba and politely ***** right off!
    They wouldn't tolerate it in their own cities so i'm b*ggered if we should entertain it in ours.
    Against modern fitba and all the Hollywood bullsh*t thats comes with it.

Yes. I'll choose how I spend my free time thanks.

Surely not. 😂

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Yup, me.

Testimonial Due
    The Liverpool of Dalglish etc or Napoli with Maradona I would go and see. Not these two quite ordinary sides playing out a meaningless money spinning kick about.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    The Liverpool of Dalglish etc or Napoli with Maradona I would go and see. Not these two quite ordinary sides playing out a meaningless money spinning kick about.
    I’m not quite sure how a Liverpool side who just won the Champions League and have one of the highest ever points totals in history in England could be described as ordinary.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    This Liverpool side are anything but ordinary 😂

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Me, I'm going to see the Lion King instead of going to Hibs v Alloa. I went to Stirling though does that make you feel better?

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    That's fine. As long as they understand they can't slag Celtic and rangers fans for the same thing.
    That's fine, theres still loads of things i can slag old firm fans about