hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    @hibs.net private member Silent Boatman's Avatar
    Apologies to The Baldmans Comb, my response last night after a day drinking on what was an emotional day for me was totally inappropriate and disproportionate to the posts he made. I then stupidly carried on my daft rant this morning. I was totally out of order and have no problem admitting it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies to The Baldmans Comb, my response last night after a day drinking on what was an emotional day for me was totally inappropriate and disproportionate to the posts he made. I then stupidly carried on my daft rant this morning. I was totally out of order and have no problem admitting it.
    Ha ha!
    The evils of drink.

Love a man that can apologize though.Respect for that.

These fan sites are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    The footballers on display will still show more than what we normally watch in the SPL at allegedly 100%. It’s proper football all right just on a different level that you recognise.
    Yup …. There's a chance that both teams will pass within at least 20 miles of my house on the way to Edinburgh. I never thought stuff like that could happen to ordinary folk like me.

BTW, good for you for post #391
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 17-06-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    I guess the answer lies in your second last word. Choosing a "second team" is rarely going to be about the same reasons you support your first team. So of course most people (kids) are going to choose the popular clubs, they's generally better to watch.

I agree with your last sentence. But then I also find it weird Hibs fans referring to Hibs as 'we,' unless they actually have an active role in the club. Maybe controversial...
    If you think back to the foundation of any club and their beginnings in local communities with local officials, local players and local fans that probably gave rise to 'we' as a way to refer to the team. For me it goes like this when it comes to Hibs … 'they' got relegated and spent 3 seasons in the championship during which time 'we' won the cup

Anyway …. Professional sport is the only form of 'entertainment' where folk will consistently pay for the product even when that product is utterly rank and in some cases makes them thoroughly depressed … no other form of entertainment or business in general for that matter relies on blind brand loyalty like sport does. The expression 'football without fans is nothing' is absolutely true and from that perspective its far from unreasonable for folk to refer to their club as 'we' or 'us'

Where that theory falls down a bit is when its folk with no connection to the community the club comes from and their support is purely based on the glamour, success and size of the club as advertised on television, like half the support of the ugly sisters or the guy from Lagos who is just fanatical about Man United …. their claim to the expression 'we' is weak at best.

I would also suggest that in this day and age of increasing fan ownership anybody who has bought into their club and is a part owner of it … in our case folk who have bought shares or are members of HSL or both … has increased their right to refer to the club they follow as 'we'

First Team Regular Barman Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If you think back to the foundation of any club and their beginnings in local communities with local officials, local players and local fans that probably gave rise to 'we' as a way to refer to the team. For me it goes like this when it comes to Hibs … 'they' got relegated and spent 3 seasons in the championship during which time 'we' won the cup

Anyway …. Professional sport is the only form of 'entertainment' where folk will consistently pay for the product even when that product is utterly rank and in some cases makes them thoroughly depressed … no other form of entertainment or business in general for that matter relies on blind brand loyalty like sport does. The expression 'football without fans is nothing' is absolutely true and from that perspective its far from unreasonable for folk to refer to their club as 'we' or 'us'

Where that theory falls down a bit is when its folk with no connection to the community the club comes from and their support is purely based on the glamour, success and size of the club as advertised on television, like half the support of the ugly sisters or the guy from Lagos who is just fanatical about Man United …. their claim to the expression 'we' is weak at best.

I would also suggest that in this day and age of increasing fan ownership anybody who has bought into their club and is a part owner of it … in our case folk who have bought shares or are members of HSL or both … has increased their right to refer to the club they follow as 'we'
    One of our oldest sung songs even starts 'We are Hibernian FC'!

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

You've clearly thought about this way more than me... Flattered you deemed my one-liner important enough for a 4 paragraph answer!

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    You've clearly thought about this way more than me... Flattered you deemed my one-liner important enough for a 4 paragraph answer!
    You shouldn't be. There are libraries full of books spawned by theories or opinions which only stretch to one sentence. You could probably write a university degree thesis on the concept of 'we' as applied to fitba fans … or at least I could