hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NHC Scotlands heroes

Fantastic wee documentary on BBC Scotland just now about the women's national team. Great to see then getting the exposure they deserve and to hear from the team and shelly Kerr herself on how proud she will be. Really hope they do as well as they can and do themselves proud and enjoy the experience

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fantastic wee documentary on BBC Scotland just now about the women's national team. Great to see then getting the exposure they deserve and to hear from the team and shelly Kerr herself on how proud she will be. Really hope they do as well as they can and do themselves proud and enjoy the experience
    Just watched it too
    Really enjoyed it, looking forward to the 1st game
    Girls team seem really motivated to do well!

Fantastic. Really positive story, told in an engaging way. It was quite emotional even though I already knew the story pretty well.
    It means so much to the players and the coach and that’s so refreshing to see.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Well worth a watch on catch-up.
    ​#PERSEVERED

When’s the first game? Gonna get right into it as the women will be more a fixture at world cups than the men’s team!

9th June. 430pm v England

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Documentary is on again tonight. BBC One at 10:30.
    Surely “Shelley’s Heroes” is a better title...

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Watched this yesterday afternoon and thought it was a great watch. They really are an inspiration and look a very good hardworking, committed group of players. Not something you could associate with our men’s team.

Hope the girls have a great campaign and I will definitely be tuning in.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    On now BBC1

A real eye opener

Thoroughly enjoyed this Documentary

I thought Women’s football was all about HIBS Ladies....No!

It was more about Glasgow City and if you want to progress succeed you have to move to the top Professional Leagues in England and abroad

A ladies game in Italy between Fiorentina and Juventus attracted a crowd of 39500

Scotland v England

WC France

9/6/2019

Live on BBC Scotland

Cmon Scotland

Testimonial Due
    Just need to look at the investment in the Woman's game in Engerland to see the way its going, they have the use of St George's for get togethers and training, have a fulltime ex professional premier league player as manager?
    Up here professional clubs are trying to boost woman's football, but I feel its never going to be enough to compete with the best down south!
    My only hope is to do a New Zealand on them in the first game, and see if their nerve holds in the other games, as the media are doing their usual "England for the World Cup", I for one would like to see egg on their faces!!!!!

Watched the English equivalent of Scotland’s heroes directly after

It was like night and day money no object and training camps all over the world with molicuddled English women’s football super star heroes

Neville seemed insistent on a squad rotation policy throughout the World Cup I am not convinced and the players did not look too convinced either

I hope it does not work out for him 😁

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Watched the English equivalent of Scotland’s heroes directly after

It was like night and day money no object and training camps all over the world with molicuddled English women’s football super star heroes

Neville seemed insistent on a squad rotation policy throughout the World Cup I am not convinced and the players did not look too convinced either

I hope it does not work out for him 😁
    Not convinced by Neville to be honest. Has come out publicly with we are good enough to dominate womens football and that one of his players was the best player in the world, really. They struggled against NZ on Saturday as much with IMO the expectation than anything else. Southgate did well in last years wordl cup by understating England's chance while PN is going the other way which IMO wont help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Not convinced by Neville to be honest. Has come out publicly with we are good enough to dominate womens football and that one of his players was the best player in the world, really. They struggled against NZ on Saturday as much with IMO the expectation than anything else. Southgate did well in last years wordl cup by understating England's chance while PN is going the other way which IMO wont help them.
    that's because they are and she is.

I don't know your knowledge of the woman's game so do forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Lucy bronze is outstanding and England are in with a real chance of winning the tournament. they'll of course need luck with refs and injuries on route but they genuinely should be expecting to be there to win it.

obviously whilst we're there I hope they get cuffed.

Off on a slight tangent, I watched a documentary on the footballing journey of Scottish World Cup winner Rose Reilly. To my shame, I’d never heard of her (she’s a wee bit older than me - played mainly in Italy through late 70s into 80s)
    Incredible story, she’s one tough lady and no little talented. Definitely worth a look - will be on BBCiPlayer on the Alba page.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Scotland v England on Sunday!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    a mural on the outside of the biscuit factory in Leith

screenshot.1979.jpg

claire emslie

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Off on a slight tangent, I watched a documentary on the footballing journey of Scottish World Cup winner Rose Reilly. To my shame, I’d never heard of her (she’s a wee bit older than me - played mainly in Italy through late 70s into 80s)
    Incredible story, she’s one tough lady and no little talented. Definitely worth a look - will be on BBCiPlayer on the Alba page.
    It's a great documentary & really shows just how Neanderthal the SFA was back then; 'Football isn't a game for girls.' Okay said Rosie, & went to Italy & won a World Cup winner's medal.
    Certainly helps explain why it took so long for women's footie to take off here. The SFA actively attempted to stop it.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    that's because they are and she is.

I don't know your knowledge of the woman's game so do forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Lucy bronze is outstanding and England are in with a real chance of winning the tournament. they'll of course need luck with refs and injuries on route but they genuinely should be expecting to be there to win it.

obviously whilst we're there I hope they get cuffed.

Ebgland have a chance not an outstanding one. Germany US and probably Sweden better. Lucy Bronze is decent but the best player in the world not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    It's a great documentary & really shows just how Neanderthal the SFA was back then; 'Football isn't a game for girls.' Okay said Rosie, & went to Italy & won a World Cup winner's medal.
    Certainly helps explain why it took so long for women's footie to take off here. The SFA actively attempted to stop it.
    GG
    Our various mainstream media outlets should have been celebrating her from the rooftops as well and whatever people think of the women’s game she’s undeniably a proper Scottish sporting hero(oine) - one the BBC could do a lot worse than to have as a pundit for the upcoming World Cup; knowledgeable, charismatic, super-talented and been there and done it!
    Chances of that happening though...?
    Last edited by Greentinted; 03-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Big challenge in the heat next Sunday. Same for both teams though

Ebgland have a chance not an outstanding one. Germany US and probably Sweden better. Lucy Bronze is decent but the best player in the world not a chance.
    I didn't say they had an outstanding chance. I said she was outstanding and they had a real chance.

i also didnt say she was the best player in the world either, I mis read the original post. I took it as he's said she's one of the best. I agree she's one of the best as she's the best right back in the world. she's holding that position for Lyon who have dominated European football last few years.

Last edited by Just Jimmy; 03-06-2019 at 09:33 PM.

A great programme and a fantastic achievement.

Could have done without wee Nicola cameos but hey boo

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post

‘Wee Nicola’ is the patron of the SWFA and a long time supporter of the woman’s game. She quite rightly received a standing ovation at Hampden when doing a pre-match presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post

Patronising twit.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Patronising twit.

this

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    I didn't say they had an outstanding chance. I said she was outstanding and they had a real chance.

i also didnt say she was the best player in the world either, I mis read the original post. I took it as he's said she's one of the best. I agree she's one of the best as she's the best right back in the world. she's holding that position for Lyon who have dominated European football last few years.

Ok fair does she is excellent that is for sure I was just querying Phil Nevilles throwaway line she was the best player in the world, not altogether sure many players would want that sort of pressure on them going into a tournament. I watched the Lionesses programme on BBC iplayer (both that one and the Scottish one are very good) and it clearly indicated the huge investment put into the England team. 8 day training camp in Qatar, access to St George's park etc. Will be interesting how it goes and it is interesting the approach Neville is taking and whether that works. Hopefully Scotland can frustrate them like Kiwis did on Saturday and provide a threat in attack which we will worry would be defensively I think for Scotland.

Ok fair does she is excellent that is for sure I was just querying Phil Nevilles throwaway line she was the best player in the world, not altogether sure many players would want that sort of pressure on them going into a tournament. I watched the Lionesses programme on BBC iplayer (both that one and the Scottish one are very good) and it clearly indicated the huge investment put into the England team. 8 day training camp in Qatar, access to St George's park etc. Will be interesting how it goes and it is interesting the approach Neville is taking and whether that works. Hopefully Scotland can frustrate them like Kiwis did on Saturday and provide a threat in attack which we will worry would be defensively I think for Scotland.
    I agree with all of that. however I think he's being brave by telling them they can win it because they absolutely can. the woman's game down here is miles ahead of our game but we're getting there slowly. hopefully this is the start of the big boost we need.

the standard down here is high and despite what the ignorant say, matches are often really enjoyable.

I'm really looking forward to this world cup and I really hope Scotland can make a mark. regardless we should be proud of our girls and back them to the hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Just watched this excellent!

Rose Reilly my heroine

Scottish Womens Football pioneer and World Cup Winner even scoring in the Final

Inducted into Scottish Footballs Hall of Fame

Well worth a watch

I've just watched this, excellent stuff. I'm quite fired up for June 9th now.

An excellent observation from Stuart Cosgrove about dismissive male attitudes to women's football in comparison to women's swimming, you'd never get the same snide dismissiveness about a female swimmer, Hannah Wiley, negatively comparing their prowess with say, David Wilkie. Different physique, different talents, same sport. An interesting (although dated) parallel from a media guy I never really warmed to before.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 04-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.