hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most players don't mind as long as you aren't in their face or disrupting family time.
    I have seen a couple of players at airports in the past.
    But like you, i would not intrude if they were with others, like family, etc.

A nod in recognition or a "hiya" in passing doesn't seem so bad though.

I did speak to Jackie Mac senior at the bar in Edinburgh Airport a few years back.
    But that was just two Hibernians chewing the fat ;-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

I asked Gazza for an autograph and picture at Glasgow Airport when I was a bairn. He was running late for a flight but stopped, commented on the Hibs top I was wearing and said he always enjoyed playing at ER and told me to enjoy my holiday. For all his faults I've always had a soft spot for him after that.

I've been in a few players company over the years and most don't mind being asked for photos and the like as long as people show a bit common sense. Don't ask to shake their hand when they are having a slash or bother them when they are obviously busy with someone else or enjoying time with their families.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The most indulgent fan behaviour I saw was at a concert in London. Me and the missus were along from a Brazilian celeb. She was all loved up with her boyfriend and a couple of fans came up to her got him to shift from his seat next to her and then got him to take a photograph of them all! Had to laugh.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I’d go up to them, tell them it’s the likes of me that pay their wages and inform them that they OWE me a selfie at the very least but that I should really be entitled to 2% of the value of their contracts for life.

Leave them alone. The last thing they want or need are random, adult strangers asking for selfies.

Except of course if was living Legends like Sir David of Gray, Lord Anthony of Stokes or Super John McGinn who are all fair game and have signed up to a lifetime of adulation

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Keep walking quickly to Spoons 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Depends on the context. Asking in an airport is fine. I once sat a couple of places along from Bryan Robson and Norman Whiteside in a bar, but didn't say anything. Didn't like to intrude when the guys waere having a quiet drink. That was about seven years ago I think.
    Did that pair ever have a quiet drink?

I remember saying hello to Roland Edge in the subway west end one evening, my how times have changed!

@hibs.net private member
    The Scotland team were on the same flight as me to Peru last summer. I got a picture with John McGinn just as we were getting our boarding passes checked.

However in my excitement, I managed to delete the photo.

But I plucked up the courage to ask him for another, just as we were getting on the plane. He was happy to oblige.

He's a really nice guy.

@hibs.net private member
    Not footballers, but when I were a lad I was at the Elderado in Leith for the wrestling and asked the Hells Angels (bad boy wrestlers, for those who don't know them) tag team for autographs.

As they were running for a taxi to Waverley they told me to remind them the next time that they had had to refuse. When I reminded them they couldn't have been nicer to the starstruck kid, and took me to meet the other wrestlers for autographs too.

To the point now. Back then it was a different world and me and my dad had no problem with approaching them, but I would hesitate these days, especially after the tennis player who was knifed a couple of years ago.

I actually got a 'smile of acknowledgement' of John Collins last Tuesday. He was away somewhere with (I imagine) his family. Ridiculously well dressed and 'in-shape' guy.
    I saw him, he saw me and we exchanged a smile and a nod.

I saw Paul Hanlon yesterday arriving into Palma with his wife/partner and a young child. Told my wife sitting next to me in the departure lounge and she was completely disinterested.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    My wee laddie has had about 10 selfies with Lewis Stevenson and on every occasion he has been been happy to oblige

# Lewysgot2

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Not at an airport, but my wife, son and I were in our local Starbucks, and we saw SDG, Boyle, Hanlon, Mallan and Horgan having a coffee. I wasn't gonna trouble them as they were relaxing after training. But a guy did go over and they were more than happy to get pics taken, so I plucked up courage and got a pic with them. My daughter was raging she wasn't there to be in the pics 😂
    Last edited by ruthven_raiders; 04-06-2019 at 08:07 PM.

I went on my first lads' holiday in 1995 when I was 17.

We saw Whigfield at Glasgow Airport but chose to leave her alone. I'd like to put this down to a selfless, dignified decision made by a group of mature young men but it was driven mainly by horrendous gawkiness and social ineptitude that would be quite dreadfully exposed over the following fortnight in Lloret De Mar.

I really hope the Danish beauty's lasting memory of Scotland is not the group of 14 Beavis and Buttheads s******ing and grabbling each other by the nuts as they seek to get away from their mums for the first reasonable length of time.

I met a few when Pat Stanton had his pub in Joppa, one night half of the first team were in the pub having a meet with Pat, he looked up and said "dont tell Alex" (miller) you could see the players appreciated his advice. Nae selfies in those days though

@hibs.net private member
    On a slightly separate note--when I was a young pup someone told me that the Who were staying in the NB. My mate and I went to the hotel bar and "bumped" into them. We were invited into their company and got buckled. Then Roger Daltrey came in and told the rest of them to have one more then to get ready.

Was so pissed I can't even remember the concert.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniel View Post
    I would hope they would ask me for a selfi.
    Why was this dug put down?

Both of them would have been ok being asked for a photo.
    Last edited by Stantons Angel; 04-06-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Why was this dug put down?
    Their posts reeked of faeces I think.

My uncle Tony used to be the double of Tommy Burns. One time in NB's at the East End, as I killed time waiting for a bus back to Gala, I thought I saw him on his phone at the entrance. I said "awright Tony" on my way past. Well it wasn't my uncle Tony, it was Tommy Burns. He must have thought I'd said "Tommy" as he gave a wee nod and wave! As I descended the stairs to the bogs, I realised...Doh!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Im 49 and Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker were beside me at Faro airport on Friday who were holidaying together with their children. I work with mostly Rangers fans and would have loved to have got a selfie with Broony just to wind them up. Unfortunately my girlfriend was not impressed and told me to leave them alone.

By all accounts Broonaldo is a top guy who would have indulged me.

Thoughts?

Leave alone or ask?
    🤣🤣 My father in law (from Leeds and no allegiance to Scottish football) was sat next to him and his family in the exec lounge on the flight out there from Edinburgh. He took great pleasure in befriending him, having a drink and taking lots of selfies to put all over Facebook to show off his new pal to all his Sevco pals 🤣🤣🤣... That's what you do! 😉

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    I met Tony Mowbray on a flight to Pune in India a couple of years ago. Turns out Blackburn's owners live there & he was going to speak to them about that seasons budget.
    Was quite happy to speak about Hibs & the players he had at the time - reeled them all off & where they moved on to.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I once saw John Collins eating chips. I wish I’d taken a photo instead of calling him fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I went on my first lads' holiday in 1995 when I was 17.

We saw Whigfield at Glasgow Airport but chose to leave her alone. I'd like to put this down to a selfless, dignified decision made by a group of mature young men but it was driven mainly by horrendous gawkiness and social ineptitude that would be quite dreadfully exposed over the following fortnight in Lloret De Mar.

I really hope the Danish beauty's lasting memory of Scotland is not the group of 14 Beavis and Buttheads s******ing and grabbling each other by the nuts as they seek to get away from their mums for the first reasonable length of time.
    😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    😂
    I met Alex Higgins in the Royal Mile around 20 years ago. He was chatting to 2 Japanese tourists so I waited then told him I was a fan and asked him to sign my cap. He looked astonished and replied (in an Irish accent)that he wasn't Alex Higgins. I said "yea OK mate nobody looks like you, gimmee your autograph" The very confused guy signed my hat Michael McDonald, smiled and walked away. To this day I dont know if it was Alex having a laugh or the best lookalike ever.

Promising Youngster
    Saw a few rugby players in airports in the past.
    Met Ali McCoist in a restaurant in Glasgow one night, he was loving the attention, fat and full of red wine.
    SJM hobbled past me in Glasgow one night too when I was in the car and saw him in a restaurant in Edinburgh one night after being at Murrayfield, he was with a bird. Both times was too scared to speak to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I met Alex Higgins in the Royal Mile around 20 years ago. He was chatting to 2 Japanese tourists so I waited then told him I was a fan and asked him to sign my cap. He looked astonished and replied (in an Irish accent)that he wasn't Alex Higgins. I said "yea OK mate nobody looks like you, gimmee your autograph" The very confused guy signed my hat Michael McDonald, smiled and walked away. To this day I dont know if it was Alex having a laugh or the best lookalike ever.

That guy had you snookered

Just tell folks you met a former Hibernian goalkeeper who signed your cap

@hibs.net private member HibeeMassive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Loving the stories!

Re Andy Watson, having met his wife a few times, I'd much rather have had a selfie with her! A very attractive lady in all senses of the word.
    Re Craig Gordon, spoken to him a couple of times when we've been out walking our dogs. A very modest and quiet bloke. I didn't mention I knew who he was and he was with his kids so we just talked about dogs.

I've told this story a few times but I took my primary class along to Tynie back in 98 for a session on technical drawing and perspective. We walked past the changing rooms just as the first team squad had finished up and came past us on their way out. A few blanked the kids, a few just smiled and one former Scotland international was a prize fandan about it. Steven Fulton, to his eternal credit, not only saw the kids and smiled but came back up towards them, told a few stories and signed anything they gave him. He came across as a bloke who loved his job and what it had given him. Top man.

I felt bad about some of the things I'd shouted at him during derbies!
    In a similar vein, my daughters were mascots against Hearts at ER a few years ago at new year. Kids and adults were in the dugout getting the tour when the Hearts bus pulled up at the end of the stand so we were all asked to stand back and let the players through as they came down the side of the pitch.

Every one of the players and coaching staff just kept the head down and walked through, apart from Robbo. He stopped and spoke to every mascot, asking who their favourite player was etc and got photos were they were requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Maybe Michael kept forgetting who he really was?