hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seeing a player at an airport. What would you do?

Im 49 and Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker were beside me at Faro airport on Friday who were holidaying together with their children. I work with mostly Rangers fans and would have loved to have got a selfie with Broony just to wind them up. Unfortunately my girlfriend was not impressed and told me to leave them alone.

By all accounts Broonaldo is a top guy who would have indulged me.

Thoughts?

Leave alone or ask?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im 49 and Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker were beside me at Faro airport on Friday who were holidaying together with their children. I work with mostly Rangers fans and would have loved to have got a selfie with Broony just to wind them up. Unfortunately my girlfriend was not impressed and told me to leave them alone.

By all accounts Broonaldo is a top guy who would have indulged me.

Thoughts?

Leave alone or ask?
    Last year I clocked LD at Edinburgh airport and took a photo of her on the sly and stuck it on here after I asked her if she was on the Zurich flight to Sign Flo....turns out she was.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    I'd just ask him.

I used to see Scott & Craig Gordon at the David LLoyd gym in Corstorphine every Monday. Always happy to have a chat - well, Scott was anyway!

I'd point at them, giggle then run away

Shook hands with Robert Fleck in an airport years and years ago. Think it was Heathrow but honestly too long ago to be sure....

I drive a taxi and have met many famous punters over the years, tbh it really depends on the individual. I've had a good few selfies with them and also a good few who I soon realise are not up for chatting.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I've told this story on here before.

Andy Watson and his Mrs were sitting at the next table to us in the West End Hotel. this was when he was assistant to McLeish at Ibrox, so was before everyone had mobiles with cameras on them (selfie wasn't even a word). One of my mates however did have a camera in his holdall and eventually turned and asked "any chance of a photo Andy?"

He answered "Aye, no bother".

So my mate went and sat in the empty seat next to Andy Watson's wife, put his arm round her shoulder, handed the camera to her husband and put on a big cheesy smile.

He burst out laughing and took the photo.

Left by mutual consent!

Smile

I would hope they would ask me for a selfi.

@hibs.net private member
    Most players don't mind as long as you aren't in their face or disrupting family time.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

Andy Watson and his Mrs were sitting at the next table to us in the West End Hotel. this was when he was assistant to McLeish at Ibrox, so was before everyone had mobiles with cameras on them (selfie wasn't even a word). One of my mates however did have a camera in his holdall and eventually turned and asked "any chance of a photo Andy?"

So my mate went and sat in the empty seat next to Andy Watson's wife, put his arm round her shoulder, handed the camera to her husband and put on a big cheesy smile.

Ha, that's excellent.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I think the majority of players deep down like it, especially if they were in front of there girlfriend or mates.

Obviously there’s a time, place and way to do it

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

They were together with their kids. Kris Boyd wandered up and gave them chat and cuddles. He was probably going on our flight to Glasgow whilst they were going to Edinburgh.

Gutted I listened to my football hating girlfriend instead of getting a selfie with Broony.

They were together with their kids. Kris Boyd wandered up and gave them chat and cuddles. He was probably going on our flight to Glasgow whilst they were going to Edinburgh.

Gutted I listened to my football hating girlfriend instead of getting a selfie with Broony.
    Now, if you’d tried Peevemoors mates tactic with that fat **** Boyd and his Mrs you’d be drinking out on that for a while!

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Always thought it would be a strange thing to do but once sat behind Emmanuel Petit on a flight to London. Asked him for his autograph and a photo. He was right as rain.

Unlike Charlie Nick in Heathrow who was as arrogant as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Now, if you’d tried Peevemoors mates tactic with that fat **** Boyd and his Mrs you’d be drinking out on that for a while!
    No chance. Kris Boyd is a rare breed. A hun you could actually like.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Depends on the context. Asking in an airport is fine. I once sat a couple of places along from Bryan Robson and Norman Whiteside in a bar, but didn't say anything. Didn't like to intrude when the guys waere having a quiet drink. That was about seven years ago I think.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Leave them alone.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Depends on the context. Asking in an airport is fine. I once sat a couple of places along from Bryan Robson and Norman Whiteside in a bar, but didn't say anything. Didn't like to intrude when the guys waere having a quiet drink. That was about seven years ago I think.
    Funny you should mention Norman Whiteside. I saw him at Edinburgh airport years ago with a Northern Ireland youth team over here to play a tournament. Asked for his autograph and he said 'who do think I am'? I said 'Norman Whiteside' and he told me I had the wrong guy.

No need for that in my opinion.

No chance. Kris Boyd is a rare breed. A hun you could actually like.
    I’ll leave it at that quite extraordinary observation. I once pestered Gordon Banks for his autograph even though he insisted he wasn’t Gordon Banks. I still have it. It wasn’t him.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    I’ll leave it at that quite extraordinary observation. I once pestered Gordon Banks for his autograph even though he insisted he wasn’t Gordon Banks. I still have it. It wasn’t him.
    🤣🤣🤣
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Have met loads of players and indeed famous people over the years, satisfied that I have chatted with them, would never ask for autograph or picture.

🤣😂🤣 Genuinely lol'd at work

I wouldn't be interested in getting an autograph from a famous player unless it was one of the Cup winning team (although I do have Big Franck's).

One of the few I've seen was Lee Dixon walking into a pub in Cornwall a few years ago and nobody really bothered him apart from the odd 'Oroit Lee?'.

Come to think of it, my daughter's a big Irvine Welsh fan and I got him to sign my programme when I was in hospitality a couple of years ago. She was gutted she never came with me but it was indecipherable as he was scoofed!

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    🤣😂🤣 Genuinely lol'd at work
    I met Kenny D at EDINBURGH Airport.At time he was sort of buisness partners with Sandy Jardine, who was stayed close to us.I went up to K D and said SJ is our neighbor KD said “ I’ll no hold that against you son”

Got a picture with Stokes in the Harp during a game last summer , think it was the Asteras away leg. He was fine , didn't say much.

Seen Josh Taylor in Mash Tun before a game a season or two back , he was sound. I think he was happy someone recognised him as he wasn't as well known back then.

They must go on hols together a lot, I saw them both at Edi airport last year about this time. Decided against asking for a photo as they were with a few other mates having a laugh didn't want to bother them.

I'm sure they would have been sound about it if I'd asked nonetheless.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    They must go on hols together a lot, I saw them both at Edi airport last year about this time. Decided against asking for a photo as they were with a few other mates having a laugh didn't want to bother them.

I'm sure they would have been sound about it if I'd asked nonetheless.
    Pretty sure they are best of mates.

Loving the stories!

Re Andy Watson, having met his wife a few times, I'd much rather have had a selfie with her! A very attractive lady in all senses of the word.
    Re Craig Gordon, spoken to him a couple of times when we've been out walking our dogs. A very modest and quiet bloke. I didn't mention I knew who he was and he was with his kids so we just talked about dogs.

I've told this story a few times but I took my primary class along to Tynie back in 98 for a session on technical drawing and perspective. We walked past the changing rooms just as the first team squad had finished up and came past us on their way out. A few blanked the kids, a few just smiled and one former Scotland international was a prize fandan about it. Steven Fulton, to his eternal credit, not only saw the kids and smiled but came back up towards them, told a few stories and signed anything they gave him. He came across as a bloke who loved his job and what it had given him. Top man.

I felt bad about some of the things I'd shouted at him during derbies!