hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Morrissey

  1. #1

    Morrissey

    Perhaps one for those who recall The Smiths providing a musical backdrop to their youth...

    I know Morrissey has often been linked with the right wing down the years, but the way he's become so open about it of late makes it hard to reconcile his lyrics from back in the day to his present-day political views.

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...w-jimmy-fallon


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    38,253
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Really good article. I love The Smiths but I wouldn't touch anything by Morrissey these days. He just seems like a bitter old racist these days.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    61
    Posts
    14,014
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really good article. I love The Smiths but I wouldn't touch anything by Morrissey these days. He just seems like a bitter old racist these days.
    Me too, we should have known after Bengali In Platforms but that was brushed aside at the time.

  5. #4
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,458
    A tired has been who hasn't done anything of relevance in fifteen years and now needs to appeal to the worst of society to stay in the papers.

    I'm surprised he wasn't appointed Scotland manager.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too, we should have known after Bengali In Platforms but that was brushed aside at the time.
    As you say, perhaps his true views were lurking there all along. I wonder if Marr managed to keep him in check during the heyday of The Smiths as such views would have alienated much of their fanbase. Once left to his own devices he certainly seems to have become steadily more reckless and outspoken.

    Cornershop were apparently burning Morrissey posters as far back as 1992!

    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/corners...s-1992-racism/

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    12,051
    I don't know what's happened to him. The Smiths were so anti-Thatcher. If he's merely attention seeking, he's far too intelligent for that.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    3,942
    He has previous.

    In 2014 he told Ireland's Hot Press magazine that Scotland should leave the UK as we didn't need Westminster. Then just last year, people booed him and walked out of the SSE Hydro when he openly criticized Nicola Sturgeon.

    Honestly. I think the guys just a bit of an anarchist who likes to create a stir.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has previous.

    In 2014 he told Ireland's Hot Press magazine that Scotland should leave the UK as we didn't need Westminster. Then just last year, people booed him and walked out of the SSE Hydro when he openly criticized Nicola Sturgeon.

    Honestly. I think the guys just a bit of an anarchist who likes to create a stir.
    I've always thought he was a fanny and he seems to be getting worse with age.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know what's happened to him. The Smiths were so anti-Thatcher. If he's merely attention seeking, he's far too intelligent for that.
    I think at best he's simply become a cranky oldish man and at worst more openly racist. Down the years there's been enough ambiguity about some of his statements and actions for the jury to be out, but in recent years calling the Chinese a 'subspecies' and his recent comments about Khan and immigration ('Germany is now the rape capital or Europe') don't really leave any room for doubt.

    Perhaps, as I said earlier, Marr was the one who fuelled The Smiths' perceived political identity. Or was Morrissey anti-Thatcher because he didn't agree with her that our future was in Europe? As he said in 1992, "I donít want to be European. I want England to remain an island".

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think at best he's simply become a cranky oldish man and at worst more openly racist. Down the years there's been enough ambiguity about some of his statements and actions for the jury to be out, but in recent years calling the Chinese a 'subspecies' and his recent comments about Khan and immigration ('Germany is now the rape capital or Europe') don't really leave any room for doubt.

    Perhaps, as I said earlier, Marr was the one who fuelled The Smiths' perceived political identity. Or was Morrissey anti-Thatcher because he didn't agree with her that our future was in Europe? As he said in 1992, "I donít want to be European. I want England to remain an island".
    The warning signs were there only a few years after the Smiths split when he started literally wrapping himself in the Union flag on stage.

    It's so easy to laugh
    It's so easy to hate
    It takes strength to be gentle and kind
    I suppose now I know it's over.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    12,051
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think at best he's simply become a cranky oldish man and at worst more openly racist. Down the years there's been enough ambiguity about some of his statements and actions for the jury to be out, but in recent years calling the Chinese a 'subspecies' and his recent comments about Khan and immigration ('Germany is now the rape capital or Europe') don't really leave any room for doubt.

    Perhaps, as I said earlier, Marr was the one who fuelled The Smiths' perceived political identity. Or was Morrissey anti-Thatcher because he didn't agree with her that our future was in Europe? As he said in 1992, "I donít want to be European. I want England to remain an island".
    As far as I know, he defined himself as a socialist during The Smiths and denounced Thatcher's economic policy on places like Manchester. He seems to have lost the plot, trying to be outrageous, when some of his remarks simply make look an idiot, which he definitely is not.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    some of his remarks simply make look an idiot, which he definitely is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "I want England to remain an island".

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as I know, he defined himself as a socialist during The Smiths and denounced Thatcher's economic policy on places like Manchester. He seems to have lost the plot, trying to be outrageous, when some of his remarks simply make look an idiot, which he definitely is not.
    Perhaps that old adage 'if you're not a socialist before you're 25 you have no heart; if you're a socialist after 25 you have no head' applies to Morrissey? He might not have become a Thatcher supporter, but here's what he came out with a few years back: "I nearly voted for Ukip. I like Nigel Farage a great deal. His views are quite logical, especially where Europe is concerned."

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    12,051
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps that old adage 'if you're not a socialist before you're 25 you have no heart; if you're a socialist after 25 you have no head' applies to Morrissey? He might not have become a Thatcher supporter, but here's what he came out with a few years back: "I nearly voted for Ukip. I like Nigel Farage a great deal. His views are quite logical, especially where Europe is concerned."
    I prefer this quote from a great man:

    "Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative". John Stuart Mill
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  16. #15
    An utter irrelevance and a total ****er

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,626
    Washed up irrelevant throw back. Stop me if you think you've heard this one before.

  18. #17
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,058
    Iíve heard Jonny Marr gigs are pretty good.

    The Smiths were amazing but Morrissey has turned out to be an utter wholloper

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved