hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar

Next general election

Thought I might as well start this off with the revelation that the LDs are now WINNING in the latest opinion poll. People have short memories I guess.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The SNP are in government in Scotland and swept the board in the Euros 2 weeks ago.

People do have short memories, I guess.i may have said something similar elsewhere recently.

They're in the lead, and the BP is second because Brexit is the single most important issue that this country has faced since WWII.

I'm glad that Liberals are polling well. It must put pressure on Labour to come off the fence and support a 2nd ref, and support remain, properly this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The SNP are in government in Scotland and swept the board in the Euros 2 weeks ago.

People do have short memories, I guess.i may have said something similar elsewhere recently.

They're in the lead, and the BP is second because Brexit is the single most important issue that this country has faced since WWII.

I'm glad that Liberals are polling well. It must put pressure on Labour to come off the fence and support a 2nd ref, and support remain, properly this time.
    Not arguing with you on that, but I think if Corbyn won't fully commit now then he never will. The grassroots need to realise that and install a left-wing Labour leader who's pro-Remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Not arguing with you on that, but I think if Corbyn won't fully commit now then he never will. The grassroots need to realise that and install a left-wing Labour leader who's pro-Remain.
    Their party conference is going to be the big showdown I think.

It's incredible the way they're handling it. Even if they wholeheartedly, enthusiatically supported their own fantasy Brexit policy, it would hardly satisfy a single Leave supporter. Most of them think May's deal is a Brexit-in-name-only sellout, and it's a hard Brexit! So there's no avenue available to make themselves Brexity enough for the Leavers but they refuse to go the other way and are losing all their Remainers as a result. It's as baffling as it is depressing.

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Their party conference is going to be the big showdown I think.

It's incredible the way they're handling it. Even if they wholeheartedly, enthusiatically supported their own fantasy Brexit policy, it would hardly satisfy a single Leave supporter. Most of them think May's deal is a Brexit-in-name-only sellout, and it's a hard Brexit! So there's no avenue available to make themselves Brexity enough for the Leavers but they refuse to go the other way and are losing all their Remainers as a result. It's as baffling as it is depressing.
    The sure sign of a party that is doing it's very best not to take over government. As I keep reiterating, they don't want to be in government. The next government is doomed to fail, regardless of who it is and they don't want it to be them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Thought I might as well start this off with the revelation that the LDs are now WINNING in the latest opinion poll. People have short memories I guess.
    Projections for the number of seats each party would win in this scenario, suggest that Labour in 3rd place and the tories in 4th place would still win the most seats. First past the Post is an absolute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Projections for the number of seats each party would win in this scenario, suggest that Labour in 3rd place and the tories in 4th place would still win the most seats. First past the Post is an absolute joke.
    What would be the alternative to FPTP and how would it be implemented?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    What would be the alternative to FPTP and how would it be implemented?
    Believe it or not we had a referendum as recently as 2011 on proportional representation. The option was for an alternative vote system. It was defeated by 62% to 38%.

The AV system you rank candidates in order of preference.

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Believe it or not we had a referendum as recently as 2011 on proportional representation. The option was for an alternative vote system. It was defeated by 62% to 38%.

PR would be unfair on parties in Scotland, Wales and NI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do this at local council elections. But it seems to confuse a lot of people who just want to back one particular candidate and are not sure whether numbering the other candidates will be beneficial to their candidate or not.

Was that not driven by the LibDems, and getting a referendum on this was one of the main reasons that they went into coalition?

AV isn't really PR.

Under AV we would've kept the existing constituencies. The difference between AV and the current FPTP is that you can't win the seat outright with less than 50% of the vote. If all candidates have less than 50%, the last candidate is eliminated and their votes are redistributed to their second choice candidate (if they had one). If still no 50%, the second last eliminated and so on.

The best system to use for Westminster (imo) would be Single Transferable Vote (STV) which is what we use for local council elections. Under that system you'd have much larger constituencies which would elect multiple MPs each (Ireland uses this for the Dail and the constituencies are typically 4-5 TDs). Each party can put up several candidates and you cast votes by ranking them in order of preference.

It seems unlikely there will be a general election until the Brexit fiasco is resolved one way or another. Both Tories and Labour would be on a hiding to nothing and therefore have a mutual interest in avoiding an election.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Latest polling for a Westminster election

Brexit 26%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 17%
    Libdem 16%
    Green 11%
    SNP 4%

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics...mpression=true

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Brexit 26%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 17%
    Libdem 16%
    Green 11%
    SNP 4%

The polls, like the electorate, are all over the place at the moment, but if Labour confirms it's commitment to a second referendum, and to campaigning for remain, it would be well ahead.

But ...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    A protest one policy party in power in the UK is almost unthinkable. Such is our level of conceipt, we would think that we are above this and it is only democracies like Italy and Greece that get caught up with reactionary groundswells.

Brexit 26%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 17%
    Libdem 16%
    Green 11%
    SNP 4%

Corbyn's inability to ****ing commit is now putting the country in even more serious danger. Commit to Remain or **** off.

Looks like we'd better get ready for one of these this year. Johnson will be PM and won't command the full support of his party.