hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 126
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    39,432

    What are your positive reasons for voting Conservative?

    We all know why Ingish votes Labour.

    He's told us as nauseum that despite their falling popularity and, it seems, relevance, he supports them because they "seek to protect the NHS, benefits, provide quality homes for those who're out-with the housing market, jobs, pensions and to change the UK for the better for the many not the few".

    Although the reality is sadly somewhat different to those laudable high ideals, at least we know his reasons.

    What reasons do people on here have for voting Tory?
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 30-05-2019 at 09:12 AM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    I could only imagine it's to widen the gap between them and the poor.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    3,960
    Every person i've ever met who votes Conservative have all had one major thing in common. They either think they're ahead of the competition, or that they have the potential to be. They think that by voting Conservative, their interests will be protected on the backs of those they consider below them.

    They think they're "part of the club".

    Then you've got the "value the union" types. Who (when all hell freezes over) will continue to protect the very system that is causing untold damage to society as a whole. They have yet to be unplugged.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,049
    I suspect there is a fair % of the Tory vote in Scotland who are working class, and for whom a Tory government is the last thing they need for their own personal prosperity.

    These same people will continue to vote Tory out of blind loyalty to the Union. Ruth Davidson knows this and is therefore positioning the Conservative & Unionist party as the only political party in Scotland who can preserve the union. She has been successful to date in reviving Tory support in Scotland, but funnily enough she may lose the independence argument and her precious union, due to the disintegration of the Labour Party. Many disaffected Labour voters who will never vote Tory, may move over to the nationalist cause in sufficient numbers to tip the balance in favour of Yes in indyref2. I think we saw evidence of this happening in the recent Euro elections where the SNP was dominant in all but 2 constituencies. Even the results in Orkney & Shetland showed significant swings to the SNP.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 30-05-2019 at 03:11 PM.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suspect there is a fair % of the Tory vote in Scotland who are working class, and for whom a Tory government is the last thing they need for their own personal prosperity.

    These same people will continue to vote Tory out of blind loyalty to the Union. Ruth Davidson knows this and is therefore positioning the Conservative & Unionist party as the only political party in Scotland who can preserve the union. She has been successful to date in reviving Tory support in Scotland, but funnily enough she may lose the independence argument and her precious union, due to the disintegration of the Labour Party. Many disaffected Labour voters who will never vote Tory, may move over to the nationalist cause in sufficient numbers to tip the balance in favour of Yes in indyref2. I think we saw evidence of this happening in the recent Euro elections where the SNP was dominant in all but 2 constituencies. Even the results in Orkney & Shetland showed significant swings to the SNP.
    Because they're "alright Jack" either they or their parents bought their council housr and have bought into the idea those who are worse off than them are scroungers. In short...c@@nts

  7. #6
    Sorry didnt mean to quote you

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    39,432
    I really want to hear the views of Tory voters, not just their opponents' guesses.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really want to hear the views of Tory voters, not just their opponents' guesses.
    Funny enough not many willing to engage. I wonder why?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  10. #9
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    10,880
    This thread is already longer than I thought it would ever get.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread is already longer than I thought it would ever get.
    Yes but not much insight into tory voters.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really want to hear the views of Tory voters, not just their opponents' guesses.
    Good luck with that. Very few of them even admit to voting tory and even fewer of those that do will state why they do in any great depth.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    963
    I’m amazed that there’s been so many posts.

    It was obviously a trick question.

    There are no positive reasons for voting Tory in Scotland.

  14. #13
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  15. #14
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    49
    Posts
    29,525
    I'm not a Tory voter but as someone from the generation whose parents bought their council house (worth not a lot it has to be said) but benefitted from it in later years, I'm now more of a middle class tennis playing twat than a council radge.

    Suppose I should vote tory eh :-) but the point being I can perhaps see how people in my position might conveniently forget the thatcher years and vote with Ruth in some sort of protect what I have belief.

    Dunno...that's maybe all crap.

  16. #15
    I watched a programme with Ed Balls visiting the Trump heartlands in the US and he opened with the line 'as a politician, it's dangerous to believe the electorate is wrong'.

    Whilst I disagree with them I do find it a bit uncomfortable when people tear into 'working class' people who vote Tory, for Trump, for Brexit and so on and so forth. The assumption is often they are 'idiots', 'racist' 'selfish' or whatever else. Of course it's possible many may well fall into one or more of those categories and others. Equally it may be worth considering they are also desperate. From the rust belt of the US to the post industrial Labour heartlands of the UK it's hard to argue that these areas have changed beyond recognition in only 1 or 2 generations. In my work we deal with a company who are based in Stoke, one of the highest Brexit votes in the country. A few weeks back that company went into administration with the loss of over 300 jobs. They were one of the last surviving pottery companies in an area once famed for them and now they are gone. It's an area of high deprivation and poverty and now more jobs have gone at least in part due to cheap alternatives from abroad. It's easy to mock them for believing in a wonderful utopia in which the clock is turned back to an industrial 1950s UK as the workshop of the world. When you have **** all and see few prospects on the horizon with the status quo is it any more stupid than the vote you have religiously cast for Labour for the last 20, 40 or 40 years?

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched a programme with Ed Balls visiting the Trump heartlands in the US and he opened with the line 'as a politician, it's dangerous to believe the electorate is wrong'.

    Whilst I disagree with them I do find it a bit uncomfortable when people tear into 'working class' people who vote Tory, for Trump, for Brexit and so on and so forth. The assumption is often they are 'idiots', 'racist' 'selfish' or whatever else. Of course it's possible many may well fall into one or more of those categories and others. Equally it may be worth considering they are also desperate. From the rust belt of the US to the post industrial Labour heartlands of the UK it's hard to argue that these areas have changed beyond recognition in only 1 or 2 generations. In my work we deal with a company who are based in Stoke, one of the highest Brexit votes in the country. A few weeks back that company went into administration with the loss of over 300 jobs. They were one of the last surviving pottery companies in an area once famed for them and now they are gone. It's an area of high deprivation and poverty and now more jobs have gone at least in part due to cheap alternatives from abroad. It's easy to mock them for believing in a wonderful utopia in which the clock is turned back to an industrial 1950s UK as the workshop of the world. When you have **** all and see few prospects on the horizon with the status quo is it any more stupid than the vote you have religiously cast for Labour for the last 20, 40 or 40 years?
    That would be a sound argument. If Conservatism wasn't in fact the status quo in the UK. The UK hasn't had a non-conservative government since the 70s. So these "desperate people" are voting for the status quo that is failing them.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be a sound argument. If Conservatism wasn't in fact the status quo in the UK. The UK hasn't had a non-conservative government since the 70s. So these "desperate people" are voting for the status quo that is failing them.
    And what does that say about the quality of argument put forward by the alternative throughout the last 40 years?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  19. #18
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny enough not many willing to engage. I wonder why?

    I nearly replied, twice, but scrapped both because I did not want abuse on the subject, to be honest.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I nearly replied, twice, but scrapped both because I did not want abuse on the subject, to be honest.
    Well that's a first for a ******* ******* Tory *******

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    39,432
    I have no intention of judging anyone.

    I'm just interested as to why people vote the way they do.

    I can think of reasons for voting Labour, SNP, Green and Liberal, and I actually understand why racist parties and Farage's lot garner support, but the Tories appeal to anyone other than the elite genuinely baffles me.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 30-05-2019 at 07:23 PM.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And what does that say about the quality of argument put forward by the alternative throughout the last 40 years?
    It would suggest that there hasn't really been an alternative.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    39,432
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I nearly replied, twice, but scrapped both because I did not want abuse on the subject, to be honest.
    You should reply anyway. Most people will respect your right to your own political opinions.

    I'll report anyone abusing you.

    This isn't about right and wrong. I'd just like to understand why the Tories appeal to you.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should reply anyway. Most people will respect your right to your own political opinions.

    I'll report anyone abusing you.

    This isn't about right and wrong. I'd just like to understand why the Tories appeal to you.
    I think that's wishful thinking.

    I don't doubt your intentions for starting the thread were genuine. However anyone sticking their head above the parapet would be mocked, goaded and ganged up on. The HG isn't about debate for many, no one is going to be persuaded to change their mind, it's a platform for those with the zeal of the converted.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    39,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's wishful thinking.

    I don't doubt your intentions for starting the thread were genuine. However anyone sticking their head above the parapet would be mocked, goaded and ganged up on. The HG isn't about debate for many, no one is going to be persuaded to change their mind, it's a platform for those with the zeal of the converted.
    Sadly, you're probably right.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mrs Hibremian was brought up in a Christian Democrat family in Hamburg, and often tells me that some people who vote Christian Democrat are actually nice people. I guess that's two reasons for voting "on the right".

    Luckily for me she was the black sheep in the family.
    Christian Conservatism is something i'll never understand. They are polar opposites. The bible preaches equality, fairness and "loving thy neighbour". The politics of the right preaches division, selfishness and kicking your neighbour out their home so you can build a mansion.

    So many "good" christians voted for Donald Trump. In fact, they were far more likely to vote for him if they were Christian. Some things just boggle the mind completely.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    16,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's wishful thinking.

    I don't doubt your intentions for starting the thread were genuine. However anyone sticking their head above the parapet would be mocked, goaded and ganged up on. The HG isn't about debate for many, no one is going to be persuaded to change their mind, it's a platform for those with the zeal of the converted.
    That is very much the case sadly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be a sound argument. If Conservatism wasn't in fact the status quo in the UK. The UK hasn't had a non-conservative government since the 70s. So these "desperate people" are voting for the status quo that is failing them.
    I find it uncomfortable as an argument because the Leave vote is much more complicated than the easily digestible “marginalised working class” explanation people tend to reach for.

    In fact, being in the “squeezed middle” with an intermediate standard of education but with a perception of declining economic standing was more of an indication towards voting Brexit than purely on economic deprivation.

    Looking at income, LSE found that voters in the 26-39k per annum salary bracket were more inclined towards voting for Brexit than people on less than 26k.

    The likelihood of voting Brexit was higher where people identified as middle class rather than working class. Self categorising middle class 26-39k income were more inclined towards voting for Brexit than self categorising working class voters on the same income.
    Last edited by steakbake; 31-05-2019 at 03:23 AM.

  29. #28
    I am no way rich in the material sense but I have voted conservative. I have also voted for all party's on occasion if agreed with one specific policy.

    My reasons for voting conservative is due to thinking that a large welfare state keeps people poor and addicted to state benefits. It gives the government too much control over their lives.

    For example under Labour I knew so many alcoholic, many of whom were on the sick and were essentially getting drinking money to spend in the pub from the government. My big pal Derek was one such person he had not worked in years and was on the sick drinking everyday.

    When the conservatives came into power they stopped his benefits as he was deemed fit to work. He was then encouraged to go to college and learn at a cooking course.

    He stuck it out he was able to cut back on drinking and the end of the story be became a working man again for the first time in over ten years.

    He regained his self respect and now pays for his own pint at the weekend with his hard earned instead of state handouts. He says the pints taste better now. You could see how much that policy change helped him grow and become the man he knew he was.

    I think the lefty party's and the big welfare state and big government wants people dependent on benifets so the left wing partys always get their vote.
    Last edited by Slavers; 31-05-2019 at 06:50 AM.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Christian Conservatism is something i'll never understand. They are polar opposites. The bible preaches equality, fairness and "loving thy neighbour". The politics of the right preaches division, selfishness and kicking your neighbour out their home so you can build a mansion.

    So many "good" christians voted for Donald Trump. In fact, they were far more likely to vote for him if they were Christian. Some things just boggle the mind completely.
    I think the narrative there is convince them that their right to be a Christian Consevertive is under threat (from the liberal left, gays, Muslims, etc), then sell yourself as the knight on a white horse coming to protect those values.

    Thankfully our Evangelical level is low in the U.K. however the “we are under threat” line is strong. See UKIP, Brexit and the ERG Tories.

    J

  31. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am no way rich in the material sense but I have voted conservative. I have also voted for all party's on occasion if agreed with one specific policy.

    My reasons for voting conservative is due to thinking that a large welfare state keeps people poor and addicted to state benefits. It gives the government too much control over their lives.

    For example under Labour I knew so many alcoholic, many of whom were on the sick and were essentially getting drinking money to spend in the pub from the government. My big pal Derek was one such person he had not worked in years and was on the sick drinking everyday.

    When the conservatives came into power they stopped his benefits as he was deemed fit to work. He was then encouraged to go to college and learn at a cooking course.

    He stuck it out he was able to cut back on drinking and the end of the story be became a working man again for the first time in over ten years.

    He regained his self respect and now pays for his own pint at the weekend with his hard earned instead of state handouts. He says the pints taste better now. You could see how much that policy change helped him grow and become the man he knew he was.

    I think a lefty party's and the big welfare state and big government wants people dependent on benifets so the left wing partys always get their vote.
    That's the one thing about the Tory party that I've always thought worthwhile too - an encouragement to self-reliance. Thatch, for example, introduced a very good scheme for unemployed people where they could start their own business and for a year still claim social security payments, enabling a way out of one kind of benefit trap. The recent Tory default mode, however, has just seemed to be whining that every problem is the fault of others: European politicians, immigrants, blablabla.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 31-05-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved