hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Scott Allan

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does?

Lots of players not made the great at Celtic I’d happily take at Hibs, they’re a considerably better side than us.
    Of course. However Scott Allan that has been at Hibs twice and performed twice is quite possibly the best midfielder in Scotland. He should have been more than good enough for them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Strange one!

Obviously Brenda did not fancy him.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Of course. However Scott Allan that has been at Hibs twice and performed twice is quite possibly the best midfielder in Scotland. He should have been more than good enough for them.
    Bit much to say he was the best midfielder in Scotland when we were in the championship lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Bit much to say he was the best midfielder in Scotland when we were in the championship lol
    Regardless of the league we were playing in I don’t think there was many better at the time. I’m not sure who Celtic had at that point but I’d be pretty comfortable with saying he was better than anything Hearts, Rangers or Aberdeen had to offer and if that’s the case he’d most likely been better than all the ‘smaller’ teams midfielders aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Is there? I hadn’t heard of any others.

Danny Mcgrane and Gary Mabbutt were the only other players I knew of that had it, any other ones in Scotland do you know?
    Off the top of my head there’s Nacho (Real Madrid centre back) and another young Real player who’s name escapes me. I think Alan Kernaghan was diabetic and also a few players in the lower leagues down south. Think Scott the only one playing pro football in Scotland with it.

Jay Cutler, Quarterback with the Bears was diagnosed in the middle of his career and you’d see him doing blood tests etc on the sidelines. Plenty folk with type 1 throughout the sporting world it would seem.

Testimonial Due
    The best midfielder in Scotland currently?

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    The best midfielder in Scotland currently?
    On the form he showed second half of last season at us he’d be right up there with anything else on show in Scotland. That’s the last we’ve seen of him of course.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Is Kenny Millar signing for an SPFL team or is he staying in the Championship? 😉
    It could only be for Rotherham United.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Off the top of my head there’s Nacho (Real Madrid centre back) and another young Real player who’s name escapes me. I think Alan Kernaghan was diabetic and also a few players in the lower leagues down south. Think Scott the only one playing pro football in Scotland with it.

Jay Cutler, Quarterback with the Bears was diagnosed in the middle of his career and you’d see him doing blood tests etc on the sidelines. Plenty folk with type 1 throughout the sporting world it would seem.

Steve Redgrave as well I'm sure.

First Team Breakthrough
    Regardless of the league we were playing in I don’t think there was many better at the time. I’m not sure who Celtic had at that point but I’d be pretty comfortable with saying he was better than anything Hearts, Rangers or Aberdeen had to offer and if that’s the case he’d most likely been better than all the ‘smaller’ teams midfielders aswell.
    If I remember rightly St Mirren had quite a good midfielder at the time, name escapes me though...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiehas2 View Post
    If I remember rightly St Mirren had quite a good midfielder at the time, name escapes me though...
    Touché

I’d still suspect Allan was one of the best in the country at the time. And if there’s any doubt as to whether he was in the Championship then there can be none as to whether he was last time at us.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I’m sorry but no. Big fan of Scotty but to suggest he is a better player than any of the Celtic side who kept him picking splinters from his backside ie Rogic, Mcgregor doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. These guys have been the stand out players in the treble treble winning side.

Magic player at our level, just not as consistent, physically strong or defensively reliable as others.

IMO he won’t force his way into the Scotland squad either.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    I’m sorry but no. Big fan of Scotty but to suggest he is a better player than any of the Celtic side who kept him picking splinters from his backside ie Rogic, Mcgregor doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. These guys have been the stand out players in the treble treble winning side.

Magic player at our level, just not as consistent, physically strong or defensively reliable as others.

IMO he won’t force his way into the Scotland squad either.
    His performances at Hibs were imo better than anything I’ve saw those you mentioned deliver over similar lengths of time. Guys like Rogic are great players on their day, but he’s often absolutely anonymous aswell. Allan at us second half of last season was outstanding for the vast majority of it imo.

Of course these guys have done it for their whole careers, but I’m only talking about his time at Hibs.

His performances at Hibs were imo better than anything I’ve saw those you mentioned deliver over similar lengths of time. Guys like Rogic are great players on their day, but he’s often absolutely anonymous aswell. Allan at us second half of last season was outstanding for the vast majority of it imo.

Of course these guys have done it for their whole careers, but I’m only talking about his time at Hibs.
    Watch much of Celtic do you? These guys turn it on every single week.

From what I’ve saw of Celtic recently they have hardly turned it on this year, never mind every week.

From what I’ve saw of Celtic recently they have hardly turned it on this year, never mind every week.
    McGregor got POTY and Players POTY. hardly turned it on though.

The vast majority of people all agreed Celtic had been absolutely garbage since Lennon took over months ago. If you want to claim that these guys turned it on every week then go for it. If they all turned it on every week though then nobody would have been saying how bad Celtic had been. Including the Celtic fans who do actually see their team every week.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Celtic have been average since Lennon took over.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    McGregor clearly is a good player and one who developed under Rodgers, he can also play in different positions in midfield. However ability wise I don’t think he’s any better than Scott Allan who if he plays to the same levels as the last spell with us should definitely get picked for Scotland. I’m struggling to think of a Scottish midfielder who can split open a defence like he can.

Also having watched last two Scotland games I don’t think Mcgregor was particularly impressive.

@hibs.net private member
    Cannot wait to see Scott back.. just thinking about both of his spells and some of the games he dominated on his own.. The semi we lost against Falkirk he was magnificent as well as the 4-0 rangers game. What a player he is on his day.

The vast majority of people all agreed Celtic had been absolutely garbage since Lennon took over months ago. If you want to claim that these guys turned it on every week then go for it. If they all turned it on every week though then nobody would have been saying how bad Celtic had been. Including the Celtic fans who do actually see their team every week.
    Celtic fans who see their team every week also say that the reason Scott Allan never got a game for them was because they had better options ahead of him in the queue.

Celtic fans who see their team every week also say that the reason Scott Allan never got a game for them was because they had better options ahead of him in the queue.
    But again, I was talking about his performances at Hibs, not his performances during 5 minute cameos for Celtic once in a blue moon.

But again, I was talking about his performances at Hibs, not his performances during 5 minute cameos for Celtic once in a blue moon.
    I never referenced his performances at Celtic. I referenced the better players ahead of him. As is my point, there are better midfielders in the Scottish game, who have consistently produced at a high level over the past few years.

Delighted to have him back at Hibs, but realistically, he will find it very hard to displace anyone in the Scotland midfield.

I never referenced his performances at Celtic. I referenced the better players ahead of him. As is my point, there are better midfielders in the Scottish game, who have consistently produced at a high level over the past few years.

Delighted to have him back at Hibs, but realistically, he will find it very hard to displace anyone in the Scotland midfield.
    Well agree to disagree. In my opinion the performances put in by SA last season at us were by and large better than the vast majority of performances I’ve saw Rogic or McGregor produce.

Well agree to disagree. In my opinion the performances put in by SA last season at us were by and large better than the vast majority of performances I’ve saw Rogic or McGregor produce.
    Not taking anything away from those performances from Scotty. Was a magic time to be a Hibs fan. It’s clear you hold Scott in high regard, as do I.

To put into context though, Mcgregor and Rogic have had countless MOM performances, in cup finals, Europe, old firm games. These are facts. Not opinion.

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Seen Scott today on Easter Road, delighted to have him back.

Scott Allan struggle to get a game for Scotland? Imo he should be first pick and then build the team around him. Great player.

First Team Breakthrough
    Touché

I’d still suspect Allan was one of the best in the country at the time. And if there’s any doubt as to whether he was in the Championship then there can be none as to whether he was last time at us.
    For what it’s worth I totally agree with you btw, scotty is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen at ER (not just hibs, either)

First Team Breakthrough
    Touché

For what it’s worth I totally agree with you btw, scotty is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen at ER (not just hibs, either)