hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Scottish football survive Celtic?

Well …. can it?
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 26-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well …. can it?

Explain?

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    No, we should all give up

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    It's celtc

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Explain?
    Two players on the pitch yesterday worth a combined total of 13 million quid and one of them was only a sub. Just completed a treble treble, how long until folk just get fed up and walk away if dominance like that continues?

Left by mutual consent!
    Lennon in charge tips the playing field a little bit for us. It was always either then or their bigot brothers regardless. They are a lot closer to us now than when they had the likes of Larson and Sutton etc.

It's no comfort that the only chance of them being stopped is The Rangers stepping up a gear.

Left by mutual consent!
    Two players on the pitch yesterday worth a combined total of 13 million quid and one of them was only a sub. Just completed a treble treble, how long until folk just get fed up and walk away if dominance like that continues?
    What does it change for us who wins the cup if it’s Celtic or huns?

More clubs have won trophies over the past ten years than for ages before also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    No, we should all give up
    Its easy to be glib about it, but this is a whole new ball game. At least the cups were always a saving grace, but now even that isn't happening, if that continues folk might start giving up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    It's no comfort that the only chance of them being stopped is The Rangers stepping up a gear.
    It is actually as they will cripple themselves doing so.

Well …. can it?
    It’s a great question and one that must be asked now.
    Fans could end up demanding a breakaway league.
    What would we have to lose?
    European places? Ha for how far we’re ever going to go in that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Its easy to be glib about it, but this is a whole new ball game. At least the cups were always a saving grace, but now even that isn't happening, if that continues folk might start giving up.
    Hearts are utter pap and they could have won yesterday. Tide turning.

There is a difference to worth and what someone paid for them. That Celtic team really aren't that good. It's up to Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen to recruit well. No Neloms etc

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    In the context of a treble treble I get your point, but we've never been about winning trophies all the time and it's not why i support us. But it certainly helps get crowds through the door.

Coaching Staff
    It's always been that way since I started attending football matches, if it's not Celtic it's Rangers, one of my first disappointments was Colin Stein going to Rangers then coming back & well we all know the story.

I actually think Lennon will drag them down somewhat. He did well in finally getting them over the line this season but, let's be honest, they really dragged the ar5e out of it.

As for our own chances, I have a feeling we'll be bringing in a number of new players to fit Hecky's style of football and make more of a challenge to the teams that finished above us this year; especially Killie, who just won't be the same without Clarke.

Well …. can it?
    Can Celtic survive Lennon is probably a better question.

Scottish football was no worse off for Sevco falling on their collective erchies and I wouldn't weep a single tear if they both vanished off to a European league. Our attendances have been shown to increase when we are consistently performing well even when in a lower division. We don't need either of those manky b*****ds to survive.....

It's serious. Scottish football is deadly dull. It's partly the way it's covered on the BBC. Like Celtic, they've no real competition. I was appalled by the blandness of the pre-match programme yesterday. Willie Miller and Pat Bonner spouting the same old stuff on the radio. You wouldn't think it was the cup final. No magic at all and that's where we're at.
    I'm hoping Stevie Clarke gets a tune out of the national squad and gives us all something else to focus on apart from Celtic's march to a fourth treble.

Ha ha it has been like that since time began apart from a few blips the old firm have dominated for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Ha ha it has been like that since time began apart from a few blips the old firm have dominated for decades.
    Yes they have Sammy but the thread is recognising that the clubs outwith Celtic and Sevco were at least winning the occasional cup. Even that's not happening now.....

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not being vindictive but now Lennon's in charge they're definitely challengeable - yesterday's display proves it and they were just lucky it was Hearts !

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Yes they have Sammy but the thread is recognising that the clubs outwith Celtic and Sevco were at least winning the occasional cup. Even that's not happening now.....
    That is not any more true now than it has ever been. Hibs, Hearts, ICT, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd have all won the Scottish Cup in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    That is not any more true now than it has ever been. Hibs, Hearts, ICT, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd have all won the Scottish Cup in the last 10 years.
    I know that but none have won anything in the last three - I think the OP is pointing out that Celtic winning everything and no end in sight to that is likely to lead to a seriously negative impact on our national game.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I'm not being vindictive but now Lennon's in charge they're definitely challengeable - yesterday's display proves it and they were just lucky it was Hearts !
    Agree completely about the Lennon factor but it's going to be even worse if Sevco starting winning titles in my opinion.

Testimonial Due
    Scottish football was no worse off for Sevco falling on their collective erchies and I wouldn't weep a single tear if they both vanished off to a European league. Our attendances have been shown to increase when we are consistently performing well even when in a lower division. We don't need either of those manky b*****ds to survive.....
    Whilst I agree with you on the demise of Rangers not having much effect on things, if you look at the monies picked up by Celtic over these years, you'll find that the reason for the treble treble is in fact about the players they were able to bring in ie: £4.5m, £4.5m and £9.5m players who other than Rangers can afford that, but now even they are on a lot lower budget!!!!
    Attendances are always swelled when they come to us, not quite the same when the likes of Hamilton or Ross County turn up, these games don't have the fans fighting for tickets!!!!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    How old would you have to be for this sort of talk? Beyond the grave I reckon.

I’m 56 and I’ve only ever witnessed four sides win the league (bit young for Killie in ‘65, so OF And New Firm it is).
    Post war war wins by Hibs, Hearts, that one by Killie, and one by Dundee and you’ve got about six league winning sides outside the Old Firm since the Second World War.

Probably more clubs outside the OF winning the Scottish Cup past 25 years than the 25 before so it’s not all broken but they’ve dominated as long as anyone can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    How old would you have to be for this sort of talk? Beyond the grave I reckon.

I’m 56 and I’ve only ever witnessed four sides win the league (bit young for Killie in ‘65, so OF And New Firm it is).
    Post war war wins by Hibs, Hearts, that one by Killie, and one by Dundee and you’ve got about six league winning sides outside the Old Firm since the Second World War.

Probably more clubs outside the OF winning the Scottish Cup past 25 years than the 25 before so it’s not all broken but they’ve dominated as long as anyone can remember.
    56 for me too - pair of old goats.....

It is only three years remember Gaza's Laudrup Henrik etc everyone thought then no one would ever win anything again. Yet we managed to beat rangers twice at Hampden in that time.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    There’s only thing worse than a two horse race is a one horse race.