hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Hardik Pandya - take a bow! The legend that is Sachin Tendulkar would be proud with that batting performance!

Absolute terrific batting! 🏏

🇮🇳 🏆🏆🏆
    Last edited by hfc rd; 09-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s absolutely brilliant watching India play. The style of cricket and the noise and colour from the fans is tremendous.

United we stand here....

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    That’s one of our best batting performances for quite some time

Well done! 👍🏾

Sohniye, Sohniye INDIA! 🇮🇳

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Australia brushed aside with ease! One of our best all round performances for quite some time, particularly the batting.

2 out of 2, fantastic start! 🇮🇳👍🏾😊

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Australia brushed aside with ease! One of our best all round performances for quite some time, particularly the batting.

2 out of 2, fantastic start! 🇮🇳👍🏾😊
    Yeah, great all round performance. Funnily enough I was most impressed by the bowling. India look dangerous

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    While I didn’t expect India to bat first if they won the toss, Kohli can read the pitch better than me and chose to do so.

Another good match in this CWC that swung in momentum a couple of times.

For India, Dhawan, Pandya, Bumrah and Kumar were stars but the interesting thing is that the rest of the team are equally capable of playing the lead role. I heard or read earlier that India are the only team whose two established openers have got centuries so far. I think other teams may match that but the fact they have done so early is worth consideration.

For Australia, not enough sense of urgency is my take -they only really picked up momentum late on. I’m also curious as to why Cummins is batting so low down the order. I realise ODIs are different from the five day game but in Tests he has shown himself to be an effective batsman who can move things on quickly.

I also read a comment online somewhere, critical of India, that said if England found themselves with three overs to go and three wickets down, they would be on for posting 500.......

I suspect that attitude might be challenged at the end of June when the two sides meet.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 09-06-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Monday brings South Africa against the Windies at Southampton.

This is surely a must-win for SAF but they don’t have their troubles to seek, with Steyn and Ngidi’s injuries, the media furore over AB Villiers’ attempt at being selected and an endemic batting failure in their top and middle order.

For the Windies, Gayle must be relishing the chance to post a really big score given the depleted attack he will face. Hope and Hetmyer are due a big innings too, and in Hetmyer’s case, his sheer bravado means that it could be very exciting.

By the same token, SAF have their veteran bowler Tahir. He hasn’t had a great tournament so far but he has a very good record against the Windies and from SAF’s point of view they need him to come good now.

I’m a little bit tempted by the thought of Ramada and Tahir showing up well, and de Kock continuing his progression as a key batsman, combined with the team finally reacting to all the pressures and the defeats.

But I find it hard to see past the fact that the Windies have potentially huge and quick runscorers on a batting-friendly pitch and bowlers who can bowl with eye-watering pace.

Windies for me, but not expecting it to be a walkover by any means - unless SAF morale has completely collapsed, but I reckon they are too resilient for that.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Only 7 overs of SA v Windies before rain stopped play and it's now been abandoned. SA really up against it now.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Only 7 overs of SA v Windies before rain stopped play and it's now been abandoned. SA really up against it now.
    They were probably glad of a guaranteed point today

I feel sorry for the Windies, they had made a promising start attacking South Africa and would have benefitted as a consequence, should a reduced-overs game have been possible. Moral victories only earn you one point though.

Tuesday brings us Bangladesh against Sri Lanka in Bristol, though there is a serious chance of rain disrupting or ruling out play.

If it goes ahead it will be a fascinating match. Sri Lanka manage to find themselves in a much higher position that one would have expected and I think can actually go second in the table with a victory though admittedly it will be a temporary thing. Bangladesh have shown up reasonably well so far but need to be translating that into victories against the likes of SRL.

Perhaps the key factor may be whether the Bangladeshi talisman, Shakib Al Hasan, is fit. He has batted very well so far. At the other end and on the other side, I think Malinga is close to moving up in the record books for wickets taken, both for Sri Lanka and generally, at CWCs, so there are potential incentives for him.

If the weather allows a match to be played, it could be a cracking game to join several others in this tournament. Historically, SRL have had the upper hand over Bangladesh but that has become less the case in recent years. Games often seem to swing quite dramatically, with either side capable of producing a convincing victory.

On the assumption we get a full game I’m going to back Bangladesh, especially if they win the toss and bat first, but regardless anyway. If it does become reduced-overs due to weather then I’m less confident in predicting anything!
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 11-06-2019 at 02:31 AM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I feel sorry for the Windies, they had made a promising start attacking South Africa and would have benefitted as a consequence, should a reduced-overs game have been possible. Moral victories only earn you one point though.

Tuesday brings us Bangladesh against Sri Lanka in Bristol, though there is a serious chance of rain disrupting or ruling out play.

If it goes ahead it will be a fascinating match. Sri Lanka manage to find themselves in a much higher position that one would have expected and I think can actually go second in the table with a victory though admittedly it will be a temporary thing. Bangladesh have shown up reasonably well so far but need to be translating that into victories against the likes of SRL.

Perhaps the key factor may be whether the Bangladeshi talisman, Shakib Al Hasan, is fit. He has batted very well so far. At the other end and on the other side, I think Malinga is close to moving up in the record books for wickets taken, both for Sri Lanka and generally, at CWCs, so there are potential incentives for him.

If the weather allows a match to be played, it could be a cracking game to join several others in this tournament. Historically, SRL have had the upper hand over Bangladesh but that has become less the case in recent years. Games often seem to swing quite dramatically, with either side capable of producing a convincing victory.

On the assumption we get a full game I’m going to back Bangladesh, especially if they win the toss and bat first, but regardless anyway. If it does become reduced-overs due to weather then I’m less confident in predicting anything!

Feel sorry for Sri Lanka if this game gets officially called off. That’s two consecutive games for them that has been called off and losing a potential 4 points in total from those two games which you never know could be very vital in the end for a place in the semifinals

Feel sorry for Sri Lanka if this game gets officially called off. That’s two consecutive games for them that has been called off and losing a potential 4 points in total from those two games which you never know could be very vital in the end for a place in the semifinals

It does seem a bit poor that they don't try and reschedule some of these games given they have quite a long time to fit them in.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

It does seem a bit poor that they don't try and reschedule some of these games given they have quite a long time to fit them in.
    Exactly. It’s unfair on teams like Sri Lanka who could potentially miss out on a semi final spot because of the weather!

Personally I don’t like this present format. Prefer it in groups like you normally get with the football/ rugby World Cups rather than one big league of 10. Could be a lot of boring, meaningless matches towards the end with a few nations already knocked out with 2-3 games to spare.

Technically, haven’t they only risked missing out on two potential points, as they got a point for the lost games?

Regardless, I agree with your point, it stymies teams from building the points for the top four.

What I’m not sure about, and what could be even more unfair, is the impact on net run rate.

I take your point about how the fixtures might play out, it will be interesting to see.

One of my matches is Sri Lanka v South Africa which may well be a dead rubber (or a desperate clinging to life for either or both sides). It is what it is and even if the game doesn’t have a bearing I will be glad to have seen both teams.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Technically, haven’t they only risked missing out on two potential points, as they got a point for the lost games?

Regardless, I agree with your point, it stymies teams from building the points for the top four.

What I’m not sure about, and what could be even more unfair, is the impact on net run rate.

I take your point about how the fixtures might play out, it will be interesting to see.

One of my matches is Sri Lanka v South Africa which may well be a dead rubber (or a desperate clinging to life for either or both sides). It is what it is and even if the game doesn’t have a bearing I will be glad to have seen both teams.

Yes, sorry 2 potential points. My maths was all over the place there! 😅

But yeah if the game is to get called off, surely they could re-arrange it? I just feel sorry for the spectators who will have no doubt spent a lot of money for these tickets. Plus let’s say Sri Lanka miss out on a semi final spot by 1-2 points, then these recent postponements against Pakistan & Bangladesh will no doubt have played a huge part in that.

Yeah, again the present format, I just don’t see what positives it brings. We could potentially have 2-3 games where there is nothing to play for. A boring, meaningless game with nothing at stake. Surely let’s say something like a total of 12 nations divided into 4 groups of 4 from A-D. Play each other once with the top two from each group qualifying for the quarters in the following format:

Group winner A vs Runner up B
    Group winner C vs Runner up D
    Group winner B vs Runner up A
    Group winner D vs Runner up C

Enjoy the South Africa vs Sri Lanka game mate. I’ve got tickets for the India vs England game at the end of the month and I’m really looking forward to it 😊 Hope we win but more so, I hope the weather is nice that the game actually goes ahead! 😂

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India! 🇮🇳
    Last edited by hfc rd; 12-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Wednesday brings a potential belter. Australia against Pakistan. It has oft-been repeated but if Pakistan can turn up then we could be on for a cracking game. By the same token, if Warner, Finch and Smith shine then runs aren’t a problem for the Aussies. Their bowling hasn’t clicked yet IMO but they are certainly capable.

My heart wants Pakistan to win, my head says Australia will win. I’m going for Australia but hoping Pakistan will show, and then you never know.

But yeah if the game is to get called off, surely they could re-arrange it? I just feel sorry for the spectators who will have no doubt spent a lot of money for these tickets. Plus let’s say Sri Lanka miss out on a semi final spot by 1-2 points, then these recent postponements against Pakistan & Bangladesh will no doubt will have played a huge part in that.

Yeah, again the present format, I just don’t see what positives it brings. We could potentially have 2-3 games where there is nothing to play for. A boring, meaningless game with nothing at stake. Surely let’s say something like a total of 12 nations divided into 4 groups of 4 from A-D. Play each other once with the top two from each group qualifying for the quarters in the following format:

Enjoy the South Africa vs Sri Lanka game mate. I’ve got tickets for the India vs England game at the end of the month and I’m really looking forward to it 😊 Hope we win but more so, I hope the weather is nice that the game actually goes ahead! 😂

Chak De India! 🇮🇳
    Fingers crossed the weather is good for your game, it should be one of the best, if not the best, games of the group stages.

Got SAF v Windies as well and looking forward to seeing the young WI talent and hopefully Chris Gayle swinging the bat.

Like your idea for a different format. Makes sense to me. My guess is it all sits with the BCCI and they judge how it influences the income streams -that’s the world we live in.

But yeah if the game is to get called off, surely they could re-arrange it? I just feel sorry for the spectators who will have no doubt spent a lot of money for these tickets. Plus let’s say Sri Lanka miss out on a semi final spot by 1-2 points, then these recent postponements against Pakistan & Bangladesh will no doubt will have played a huge part in that.

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India! 🇮🇳
    Just noticed a slight flaw, 12 nations can’t be divided 4x4.

Four groups of three?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just noticed a slight flaw, 12 nations can’t be divided 4x4.

Four groups of three?

Jeez, I’m having a proper mare with my maths! 😂

Yeah four groups of 3 with the top two qualifying for the quarters. Every game would at least have something to play for.

Wednesday brings a potential belter. Australia against Pakistan. It has oft-been repeated but if Pakistan can turn up then we could be on for a cracking game. By the same token, if Warner, Finch and Smith shine then runs aren’t a problem for the Aussies. Their bowling hasn’t clicked yet IMO but they are certainly capable.

My heart wants Pakistan to win, my head says Australia will win. I’m going for Australia but hoping Pakistan will show, and then you never know.
    Aussie restricted to 307 all out after looking to be on for 350+. Pakistan going along nicely at 115/2 after 21 overs. Imam and Hafeez well set. Looks like it's going to be close ...

If Pakistan have beaten both Aus and Eng we need to really take them seriously as potential winners?

Oh dear, wickets tumbling now. 147/5.

Pakistan improbably making a fight of it. 8 overs to go, 54 runs needed, 3 wickets left.

All over, Pakistan all out for 266. It turned again on the last second review that dismissed Wahab thanks to a faint ultra-edge.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    All over, Pakistan all out for 266. It turned again on the last second review that dismissed Wahab thanks to a faint ultra-edge.

That was definitely the turning point.

I thought Pakistan were going to pull it off yet again. Australia actually decided to challenge that decision at the very last second. If they didn’t, then well who knows how that game would have unfolded.

Anyways tomorrow, the big one. India vs New Zealand.

Come on India! 🇮🇳

So, Pakistan showed up to an extent but not to the level of consistency you need. Especially when Australia can get one of Finch, Warner or Smith to perform.

Today it was Warner, and also Finch to an extent, But to win this tournament they need two of that three always at least to be posting big and quick runs. The Australian order don't stand comparison to England, but they nevertheless have two of the best players in the world in their top four. I can't see them not making the semis but I can't see them beating two elite sides in succession unless the bowling unit clicks and the batting delivers - I've been critical in the past but how ponderous is Khawaja? He simply needs dropped. Also not convinced about Zampa in the attack.

Fantastic bowling from Mohammed Amir, outstanding figures. I've said it before but Pakistan are a gorgeous cricket team to watch, you have no idea what you will get and when it is good it is scintillating!

Thursday brings another humdinger in India vs NZ. Potential final here.

The weather could have a big influence on this game.

I am backing India to win a very competitive game. NZ are good but India are stronger with bat and ball.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Thursday brings another humdinger in India vs NZ. Potential final here.

The weather could have a big influence on this game.

I am backing India to win a very competitive game. NZ are good but India are stronger with bat and ball.

Another one bites the dust 😒

I really hope the weather in Manchester this Sunday is good. I will be absolutely raging if that game gets called off!

Another one bites the dust 😒

I really hope the weather in Manchester this Sunday is good. I will be absolutely raging if that game gets called off!
    Fingers crossed it goes ahead, it should be a fantastic experience.

One advantage of this WC format is it guarantees at least one game between these two teams.

Some good games lost to the weather so far.

Friday brings England against the Windies at Southampton.

The weather is certainly now the main factor. Lots of rain early morning but it looks to dry up from late morning onwards so I’m hopeful we get some play, even if reduced overs.

I think Windies will be champing at the bit for this game. Gayle, Hope and Hetmyer are all due big and expansive innings. The fast bowlers have looked up for it as well.

It’s hard to see England not being too strong though, they have the explosive batting that runs for miles and decent bowling, though there must be question marks about their capabilities in the spin department.

If it goes ahead, England to edge it, though I would love to see the Windies take a scalp here and they have the players to do so.