hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All out for 105. Oh dear.

Chris Gayle knocking them off at pace!
    This really shows the folly of the 10 team World Cup. A year ago the windies scraped in by the skin of their teeth and the dubious decision of an umpire. Fast forward and they’ve drawn a series with the number 1 team in the format and are dismantling the champions trophy winners...

Edit: And of course the team they scraped in past have beaten the number 1 team in the format!
    Last edited by hibee62; 31-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    This really shows the folly of the 10 team World Cup. A year ago the windies scraped in by the skin of their teeth and the dubious decision of an umpire. Fast forward and they’ve drawn a series with the number 1 team in the format and are dismantling the champions trophy winners...

Edit: And of course the team they scraped in past have beaten the number 1 team in the format!
    Shocker that there were no reviews in that tournament.

Anyway, Windies get the required runs in 13.4 overs! Bit of a hammering for Pakistan. I guess both teams are fairly volatile.

Anyone got ticket(s) to go to any of the matches?
    I’m off to Chester-le-Street (obviously nearest venue to Edinburgh) on 1st July for the Sri Lanka v West Indies game.
    Most of the round robin games will be done and top 4 may well be shaping up, even decided by then but looking forward to it nevertheless.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Anyone got ticket(s) to go to any of the matches?
    I’m off to Chester-le-Street (obviously nearest venue to Edinburgh) on 1st July for the Sri Lanka v West Indies game.
    Most of the round robin games will be done and top 4 may well be shaping up, even decided by then but looking forward to it nevertheless.
    I am at Sri Lanka v South Africa on the Friday and Sri Lanka v the Windies on the Monday, both at Chester-le-Street, looking forward to both. Lots of talent in the SAF and WI teams and they may both be chasing a semi.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I called it wrong with the pitch, both Campbell and especially Thomas got loads from it. I’ve talked about Oshane Thomas before on other threads and I think he is a real potential world-class talent. This could be a breakthrough tournament for him.

Windies were never troubled chasing down the total and it still looks like Gayle has his eye in. I expect big runs from him in games to come.

While Pakistan failed, there were some signs of what they are capable of. Mercurial is the word. They will get a result against a top half team I suspect.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

When Saturday comes it brings New Zealand against Sri Lanka and Afghanistan against Australia.

NZ and SRL are pretty evenly matched record-wise but I reckon NZ are the stronger team at the moment and better-suited to the pitch they will face. I’m backing NZ to win, probably comfortably.

Afghanistan, IMO, will pull off at least one victory against a top half side and this is probably their best opportunity. Nevertheless, Australia have more than enough talent and lots of experience at competitive ODI so I have to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    South Africa have an imbalance in their squad that will limit their chances. They don’t have enough all rounders, so they have to make a choice between batsmen and bowlers. English bowlers for example can mostly still be competitive with the bat. If England lose a few early wickets, they still have the luxury of pushing in with their innings. I did like the way South Africa bowled today and they probably won’t come up against a team as good as England again in this tournament.
    I think everyone look imbalanced compared to England. India probably have the best pace attack and some critical batters in the top order and also have a couple of decent all rounders. Australia probably go the traditional route whereby they have a pace attack who can bat a bit, the spinner and then some spin or medium pace from the batsmen. I think their advantage is that Paddy Cummins especially can score big runs with the bat. I suspect England ODI have adopted the mentality that Steve Waugh instilled in the Aussie Test team which was the last four were expected to knock up runs, no excuses. England almost don’t need that as their top seven is so strong but it is the right mentality.

I saw a brief snippet on (I think) the Beeb the other day saying the India v Pakistan game could've sold out 8 times over!

Actually, this suggests 16 times ...
    I read some figures and India v Pakistan would be presumed to be the biggest-watched ever, if it occurs.

I cant remember the detail and cant be arsed looking it back up but the IPL rivals the NBA and the likes for global viewing figures and I suspect it won’t be long before they reach parity or exceed football.
    In terms of revenue, it is all about India but I think England would edge Pakistan in generating more commercial money for a final - it is a bit like 2005 Ashes and there is huge potential to exploit England’s success.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I read some figures and India v Pakistan would be presumed to be the biggest-watched ever, if it occurs.

I cant remember the detail and cant be arsed looking it back up but the IPL rivals the NBA and the likes for global viewing figures and I suspect it won’t be long before they reach parity or exceed football.
    In terms of revenue, it is all about India but I think England would edge Pakistan in generating more commercial money for a final - it is a bit like 2005 Ashes and there is huge potential to exploit England’s success.
    We were lucky enough to secure tickets for the ICC Champions final in 2017. When India and Pakistan emerged as the finalists the money being offered online for tickets was eye watering. I’ve seen guys asking for tickets outside big football matches but nothing like what was happening outside the Oval that day.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due
    I think everyone look imbalanced compared to England. India probably have the best pace attack and some critical batters in the top order and also have a couple of decent all rounders. Australia probably go the traditional route whereby they have a pace attack who can bat a bit, the spinner and then some spin or medium pace from the batsmen. I think their advantage is that Paddy Cummins especially can score big runs with the bat. I suspect England ODI have adopted the mentality that Steve Waugh instilled in the Aussie Test team which was the last four were expected to knock up runs, no excuses. England almost don’t need that as their top seven is so strong but it is the right mentality.
    I think even England are unbalanced but their batting is just so powerful, they’re always likely to leak 300+ runs but will back themselves to chase it. The addition of archer may prove to be the final piece mind...

The low scores so far are intriguing, there were some murmurs that England were unhappy with the pitch for the opening game and I wonder if they may be less batsman friendly throughout this tournament than expected and if that may shake things up a bit?

Pretty much as expected today. NZ entirely comfortable against SRL and one worries about how the Sri Lankans will hold up, I think they have Australia next.

Australia pretty comfortable too, although I was impressed by the Afghan bowlers, they will get some results IMO.

Sunday brings South Africa against Bangladesh,

For SAF, as one of the top-four favourites, a win is critical. de Kock and du Plessis look convincing in the batting but they will need support. The bowling unit looks pretty good and given the youth of their strike bowlers it is great to think we are just at the start of watching some fantastic cricketers emerging into the game.

Bangladesh are no walkovers though and have had the beating of SAF in recent years. And like SAF and the Windies they have a clear cohort of younger players emerging. I’m looking forward to seeing them during this tournament.

That all said, I’m backing SAF for a win they need.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Sunday brings South Africa against Bangladesh,

For SAF, as one of the top-four favourites, a win is critical. de Kock and du Plessis look convincing in the batting but they will need support. The bowling unit looks pretty good and given the youth of their strike bowlers it is great to think we are just at the start of watching some fantastic cricketers emerging into the game.

Bangladesh are no walkovers though and have had the beating of SAF in recent years. And like SAF and the Windies they have a clear cohort of younger players emerging. I’m looking forward to seeing them during this tournament.

That all said, I’m backing SAF for a win they need.
    The condition of the pitch has been a major factor so far, winning the toss could be crucial in this game.

United we stand here....

The condition of the pitch has been a major factor so far, winning the toss could be crucial in this game.

I think there was an expectation that pitches might be more batting-friendly, will be interesting to see how that pans out across the tournament.

Bangladesh are no mugs and a team on the rise, SAF really need a win to move on from their opening defeat.

I think there was an expectation that pitches might be more batting-friendly, will be interesting to see how that pans out across the tournament.

Bangladesh are no mugs and a team on the rise, SAF really need a win to move on from their opening defeat.
    Well, well, well.

Congratulations to Bangladesh for a great performance to win the match and make a solid start to their campaign. There weren’t just good individual performances but a real sense of unity amongst the team. I am looking forward to seeing their forthcoming games.

As for SAF all of a sudden things are looking awkward. In fairness they came into the CWC with an absolutely awesome first four in bowling but Steyn wasn’t available today and Ngidi had to limp off, while Rabada had a rare bad day at the office. When that happens it leaves them exposed.

Funnily enough they remained in it for most of the game while never really looking like they were going to have that burst, over a few overs, that could see them win the match. I think they have India next which is now absolutely critical.

SAF’s misfortune will enthuse the teams who would have been aiming for the semis but as outsiders. New Zealand, Windies and Bangladesh will be stepping things up I suspect, in their next games.

Well, well, well.

Congratulations to Bangladesh for a great performance to win the match and make a solid start to their campaign. There weren’t just good individual performances but a real sense of unity amongst the team. I am looking forward to seeing their forthcoming games.

As for SAF all of a sudden things are looking awkward. In fairness they came into the CWC with an absolutely awesome first four in bowling but Steyn wasn’t available today and Ngidi had to limp off, while Rabada had a rare bad day at the office. When that happens it leaves them exposed.

Funnily enough they remained in it for most of the game while never really looking like they were going to have that burst, over a few overs, that could see them win the match. I think they have India next which is now absolutely critical.

SAF’s misfortune will enthuse the teams who would have been aiming for the semis but as outsiders. New Zealand, Windies and Bangladesh will be stepping things up I suspect, in their next games.
    Bangladesh were excellent, they have an enthusiasm that matches their abilities. South Africa never looked like they’d chase that total down and they need to sort their fielding out.

United we stand here....

Bangladesh were excellent, they have an enthusiasm that matches their abilities. South Africa never looked like they’d chase that total down and they need to sort their fielding out.
    Was it you who talked earlier about SAF's lack of all-rounders?

It was evident today. When fully fit they have a fiercesome bowling unit for ODIs, fierce for Tests as well actually, and they have a few fine batsmen but if they lose a player or two, the cracks start to show.

They simply don't have the likes of a Kallis anymore, which feels like an unfair criticism, But most teams do have players in that position they can go to and in ODI you need players who can offer something with bat and ball in a way that isn't necessary at Test level.

So Monday brings England against Pakistan at Trent Bridge.

Pakistan always bring such elan and admittedly delightful unpredictability that it is impossible to dislike them.

England will look forward to batting at Nottingham, where runs should be assured, notwithstanding the last game.

If England bat first I expect a decent victory for them. If Pakistan go first I expect England to catch them or come close.

Fair start by Pakistan going at just over six an over after six overs.

England have calmed things down a bit after Moeen got both of the openers. Jason Roy just dropped a bit of a dolly and judging by the size of the cheer there's either a lot visitors from Pakistan or Norman Tebbitt will be horrified.

Was it you who talked earlier about SAF's lack of all-rounders?

It was evident today. When fully fit they have a fiercesome bowling unit for ODIs, fierce for Tests as well actually, and they have a few fine batsmen but if they lose a player or two, the cracks start to show.

They simply don't have the likes of a Kallis anymore, which feels like an unfair criticism, But most teams do have players in that position they can go to and in ODI you need players who can offer something with bat and ball in a way that isn't necessary at Test level.
    Yes it was me. It’s a shame because they’re a team I quite like, but without the ability to bat further down the order they’re going to struggle.

United we stand here....

Babar Azam goes, big wicket for England. Pakistan need 350 plus on this pitch.

United we stand here....

England will need 349 to win. Pakistan played well there, but England were a bit sloppy in the field.

United we stand here....

England will need 349 to win. Pakistan played well there, but England were a bit sloppy in the field.
    Yes, England will fancy their chances but Pakistan have some decent bowlers.

Yes, England will fancy their chances but Pakistan have some decent bowlers.
    Jason Roy out in the 3rd over. England up against it a little. Pakistan definitely on it today.

Jason Roy out in the 3rd over. England up against it a little. Pakistan definitely on it today.
    They are, bowling beautifully so far.

United we stand here....

Pakistan on top - 118/4. Here comes Buttler ...

Root & Buttler got England right back into it. Root out for 107. 75 needed off 7 overs. Tense!

Buttler out for 103.

I think Pakistan have got this now. It's sounded like a great game.

Buttler out for 103.

I think Pakistan have got this now. It's sounded like a great game.
    It was an utterly compelling game.

Really pleased for Pakistan, bouncing back from their defeat to the Windies. They needed a victory today to open up a route to the semis.

They batted very well and bowled cleverly.

England didn't disappoint - Root played a mature innings given the early England losses and Buttler was explosive, at least early on. There won't be many teams to lose an ODI whilst having two players make centuries.

If anything let England down, it was their bowling attack, Moeen excepted. It just didn't click for them.

But that shouldn't detract from a strong and solid Pakistan performance. They really showed up and did well to see it out against a decent England side.

I wouldn't normally compare cricket sides to football sides but Pakistan are Hibs to a degree - capable of exceptional performances one game and absolutely dire the next, though the green strips may be subliminally influencing me