hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some good games lost to the weather so far.

Friday brings England against the Windies at Southampton.

The weather is certainly now the main factor. Lots of rain early morning but it looks to dry up from late morning onwards so I’m hopeful we get some play, even if reduced overs.

I think Windies will be champing at the bit for this game. Gayle, Hope and Hetmyer are all due big and expansive innings. The fast bowlers have looked up for it as well.

It’s hard to see England not being too strong though, they have the explosive batting that runs for miles and decent bowling, though there must be question marks about their capabilities in the spin department.

If it goes ahead, England to edge it, though I would love to see the Windies take a scalp here and they have the players to do so.
    The Windies need to be more disciplined to beat a well oiled machine like England. Hopefully the weather plays the game as it has the makings of a cracker with two teams that are capable of posting huge totals.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Australia are looking pretty ominous.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Now it’s time for the big one tomorrow! Come on India!!

It’s simple, we play to our very best then we should be too good for Pakistan. Of course on their day, they are a very dangerous outfit but they lack consistency. I’m confident we will win although they will make it tough.

Reckon if India win, then the present top 4 should make it through to semi finals baring a major slip up. Easily the best 4 strongest sides in the competition.

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... Apna/hamara India jeete ga!!! 🇮🇳

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Australia are looking pretty ominous.
    They are pretty consistent so far. I think they have benefitted from Finch having a very good tourney, with the strength of Smith and Warner still to be fully demonstrated. Throw in a great batting cameo like Coulter-Nile and some decent batting from Carey and you can see why they are setting decent totals. And that’s without big contributions from the likes of Cummins who can throw the bat around, though maybe more so in Test cricket. Khawaja has struggled though and it is hard to see how he justifies his place.

Bowling-wise, Starc showed just how effective he can be today and he is backed up by decent pace men, most especially Cummins. It’s been interesting that Australia haven’t gone for spin as heavily as other teams.

I forgot to post a prediction for today’s game yesterday but would have gone with Australia if I had. Sri Lanka shone for a couple of periods but the difference in strength was transparent
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Now it’s time for the big one tomorrow! Come on India!!

It’s simple, we play to our very best then we should be too good for Pakistan. Of course on their day, they are a very dangerous outfit but they lack consistency. I’m confident we will win although they will make it tough.

Reckon if India win, then the present top 4 should make it through to semi finals baring a major slip up. Easily the best 4 strongest sides in the competition.

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... Apna/hamara India jeete ga!!! 🇮🇳
    This is the game we all want to see!

Looks like a chance of light showers, especially later in the day but not enough to risk cancellation.

I am with you, emotion will strengthen Pakistan but India are much stronger in every department and should see the win out.

South Africa’s crash has meant that I also agree that NZ will replace them in the likely top four, along with England, India and Australia. NZ were always the strongest of the outsiders and that has been reflected in results but their run-in is more challenging. But points on the board are points on the board.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

This is the game we all want to see!

Looks like a chance of light showers, especially later in the day but not enough to risk cancellation.

I am with you, emotion will strengthen Pakistan but India are much stronger in every department and should see the win out.

South Africa’s crash has meant that I also agree that NZ will replace them in the likely top four, along with England, India and Australia. NZ were always the strongest of the outsiders and that has been reflected in results but their run-in is more challenging. But points on the board are points on the board.
    Remember the ICC final. India were huge favourites. I think Pakistan are stronger now. It could be a closer game than we think.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Remember the ICC final. India were huge favourites. I think Pakistan are stronger now. It could be a closer game than we think.
    Yes, absolutely. When Pakistan click they have the beating of anybody in the world.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Cheerio Pakistan! 👋🇵🇰😊

Pakistan comfortably brushed aside with ease. When they are good, they are a very tough side to beat. However when they are bad they really are an extremely poor side. At the same time, I personally don’t think we were even at our best today tbh. Kohli seemed to be pulling his hair out at times with some of our play. Against a better side, we could have easily been punished. However can’t complain when you beat your rivals yet again!

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India! 🇮🇳

7-0 😁
    Last edited by hfc rd; 16-06-2019 at 09:16 PM.

A stately progression for India today, sharper in all departments, despite the nagging sense that they can bat more explosively if required and despite losing Kumar in the bowling attack.

Very impressed with their running, I suspect that adds more than a few runs to their total.

Definite differences in the bowling, India were bowling a fuller length and benefitted accordingly, Rohit and Kohli took advantage of Pakistan bowling shorter and worked the ball square to good effect.

Hopefully Kumar isn’t drastically affected, he really is a very good player and I want to see more of him in this tournament.

Pakistan need to think seriously about strategy and tactics. Having failed to make a breakthrough in the first ten overs, the heads went down. There has been a fair bit variation in team selection as well - it’s a curse and an understandable one, that plagues cricket teams who are struggling for consistency.

Monday brings Bangladesh against Windies at Taunton. Good possibility of light showers early on but hopefully not enough to restrict play.

The fact that there is going to be a bit of dampness in the air, with increasing temperatures and a moderate breeze may well serve the offspin of Bangladesh.

Its a must-win for Windies I feel, if they are to grasp a top four spot and IIRC Taunton is quite a tight ground, which Gayle, Hetmyer et al will relish.

But they have struggled against Bangladeshi spin in the past.

I’ve really wanted Windies to flourish in this tournament and they haven’t quite kicked on yet, though arguably they have had some bad luck with weather and had a tough enough draw so far.

Lots of doubt about just how fit Andre Russell is as well, so I’m going for Bangladesh to win this match

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar
    A stately progression for India today, sharper in all departments, despite the nagging sense that they can bat more explosively if required and despite losing Kumar in the bowling attack.

Very impressed with their running, I suspect that adds more than a few runs to their total.

Definite differences in the bowling, India were bowling a fuller length and benefitted accordingly, Rohit and Kohli took advantage of Pakistan bowling shorter and worked the ball square to good effect.

Hopefully Kumar isn’t drastically affected, he really is a very good player and I want to see more of him in this tournament.

Pakistan need to think seriously about strategy and tactics. Having failed to make a breakthrough in the first ten overs, the heads went down. There has been a fair bit variation in team selection as well - it’s a curse and an understandable one, that plagues cricket teams who are struggling for consistency.
    We are going to the game on 1st July between WIndies -v- Sri Lanka - I was hoping by that time it would be big game decider on which of these two may sneak a top four slot but alas the WIndies have been poor so far Gayle out for a duck today !!! I love him but he is hot and cold - really hope the game goes ahead as this will no doubt be Gayle;s last time playing for his national team. Was hoping it was a game with something both teams have to play for but might end up being a bit of a nothing game!! ATM the top three seem pretty much as is and I think is unlikely to change but fourth place I think by the end of this week will no doubt be clearer.

Lal

Bangladesh pretty impressive today in easing to victory with plenty balls to spare. It leaves them still in with a shout of top four though it won’t be easy.

Windies suffered with their bowling. The lack of effective spin, Russell playing through injury and Thomas suffering some horrible overs let Bangladesh build those big, match-winning innings.

Quote Originally Posted by LALthehibeeGAL View Post
    We are going to the game on 1st July between WIndies -v- Sri Lanka - I was hoping by that time it would be big game decider on which of these two may sneak a top four slot but alas the WIndies have been poor so far Gayle out for a duck today !!! I love him but he is hot and cold - really hope the game goes ahead as this will no doubt be Gayle;s last time playing for his national team. Was hoping it was a game with something both teams have to play for but might end up being a bit of a nothing game!! ATM the top three seem pretty much as is and I think is unlikely to change but fourth place I think by the end of this week will no doubt be clearer.

Lal
    We are down for a long weekend, SAF-SRL on the Friday and Windies-SRL on the Monday. Kind of like you I was hoping I would be seeing some genuinely important games in deciding top four, probably more so SAF and Windies than SRL.

While it is disappointing that games have been rained off, it does alter the final table as there will be teams who gained a point where they expected to gain two or gain none.

Gayle is due a big, big innings and I think that’s achievable against SRL. Likewise Hope and Hetmyer now showing what they are capable of and Holder batted explosively.

In attack, the pace bowlers can be brilliant on their day and hopefully Russell is able to recover fitness.

Tuesday brings England against Afghanistan at Old Trafford. The weather forecast is dry but with a good chance of showers from late afternoon onwards.

England are without the firebrand opener, Jason Roy, and may also lack their captain, Eoin Morgan, while doubts persist about Adil Rashid’s fitness, crucial on a track that looks like it will suit spin.

Meanwhile Afghanistan can field Rashid Khan, the sublime young talent who is already one of the best spinners in the game today, with a couple of colleagues who offer variety in that regard also.

I am convinced that Afghanistan will get at least one victory in this tournament and England have form, having lost to Scotland, Ireland and Netherlands in recent times.

I just can’t see beyond an England victory though. They have a bit of momentum and they have the strength in all departments, notwithstanding their injury woes.

They are also steadily improving against spin, which had been a weakness in the past.

That was some innings from Morgan. 148 from 71 balls, wow.

United we stand here....

England set Afghanistan 398 to win, game on

United we stand here....

Quite the game at Old Trafford.

I thought Afghanistan bowled relatively well initially but fielded poorly. James Vince, in for Jason Roy, did that James Vince thing where you think, “...Oh, he looks decent” and then he gets out in the twenties yet again.

Despite great knocks by Bairstow and Root, the England innings has to be all about Morgan. He made more records than Motown today and it was an absolute pleasure to watch him dispatching sixes in all directions. Also a handy reminder of England’s strength - Roy should return in a game or two and he, Buttler and maybe Bairstow would be expected to be the most free-scoring batsmen, with Stokes also capable of a very good knock, Root steady at his end and a strongish tail with the likes of Woakes and Moeen.

For the Afghanistan attack it was a rough day for Rashid. He is such a young talent but he got hammered today. Don’t think he started as early in the innings as he could have. Still, he has time on his side. I think Shane Warne’s Test debut saw him going for something like 1-114, against one of the sub-continent teams. Credit to Musheeb though, he bowled tight and well.

As for the Afghan batting, I heard some criticism that they weren’t attacking enough. I think that’s unfair. They hadn’t batted through fifty overs in a match at this CWC yet and to do that against the tournament favourites with a strong attack, with both pace and spin, must help with their confidence.

Quite the game at Old Trafford.

I thought Afghanistan bowled relatively well initially but fielded poorly. James Vince, in for Jason Roy, did that James Vince thing where you think, “...Oh, he looks decent” and then he gets out in the twenties yet again.

Despite great knocks by Bairstow and Root, the England innings has to be all about Morgan. He made more records than Motown today and it was an absolute pleasure to watch him dispatching sixes in all directions. Also a handy reminder of England’s strength - Roy should return in a game or two and he, Buttler and maybe Bairstow would be expected to be the most free-scoring batsmen, with Stokes also capable of a very good knock, Root steady at his end and a strongish tail with the likes of Woakes and Moeen.

For the Afghanistan attack it was a rough day for Rashid. He is such a young talent but he got hammered today. Don’t think he started as early in the innings as he could have. Still, he has time on his side. I think Shane Warne’s Test debut saw him going for something like 1-114, against one of the sub-continent teams. Credit to Musheeb though, he bowled tight and well.

As for the Afghan batting, I heard some criticism that they weren’t attacking enough. I think that’s unfair. They hadn’t batted through fifty overs in a match at this CWC yet and to do that against the tournament favourites with a strong attack, with both pace and spin, must help with their confidence.
    I agree about Rashid, he had a torrid time today, but he is without doubt the number 1 spinner in T20 and amongst the best in the one day format. He won’t be the first to go for a lot of runs in this World Cup, but he has the talent to come through it.

United we stand here....

Wednesday brings us New Zealand against South Africa at Edgbaston. Decent chance of showers until early afternoon, but nothing to suggest a washout.

I’m torn with this one. NZ have started really well but their games have been against the weaker teams. On the one hand that could mean they have had a chance to play their way in, on the other hand it could mean they are in for a rude awakening. At the start of the tournament I had them as the best outwith the top four and they know how to navigate towards a CWC semi-final.

The team they are most likely to replace in my top four prediction is of course South Africa. Cruelly unlucky to lose two out of their three-pronged pace attack that stands comparison with anybody else in the world.

Ngidi is back for this game though, to lend some much-needed support to Rabada. Saying that, Rabada has excellent figures against the Kiwis. And the weather conditions might just suit Tahir for this game.

As for NZ, lots of strength at the top of the order, some questions about the strength of the middle order. An interesting battle should be that between Trent Boult and Quintin De Kock. Boult hasn’t got great figures in this tournament but has a very decent record against QDK, who is pretty much SAF’s most dangerous batsman.

As I say, torn about this one. My instinct is that SAF are coming out of a dip and will start to climb, whereas NZ have a tough set of games coming up. I am going for SAF in what could be a very close game.

This post shouldn’t pass without mention of the women’s game and the T20 match between Rwanda and Mali. Poor Mali were bowled out for a paltry six runs. Even worse, only one came from the bat, with the other five being extras. Incredibly, they hung about for nine overs! Unsurprisingly, the Rwandan openers quickly secured victory within an over or two I believe.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    South Africa’s fielding has been awful. De Grandhomme & Williamson should both be out now. Schoolboy errors.

Only have themselves to blame if they don’t win this to keep their slim World Cup hopes alive.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 19-06-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Great end to the match. Williamson is an excellent player

Well, a very close game it was too.

SAF must be kicking themselves. Not reviewing what looked like would have been a wicket for Tahir, spilling a couple of easy catches, and David Miller just missing out on two difficult ones in consecutive balls - and all of this in the closing stages! And a few other opportunities as well!

I thought Ngidi was excellent on his return from injury. He and Rabada look set to become a formidable opening bowling pair and for cricket’s sake hopefully they avoid injuries as much as possible.

Two points for NZ though but the first signs that they might level off now the serious games are coming in. Boult bowling QDK early on was vital, as was the batting of de Grandhomme, but it was a patient and peerless innings from Kane Williamson.

And Thursday brings Australia against Bangladesh at Trent Bridge. The weather at Nottingham looks reasonable, chance of a shower or two around lunchtime but set fair otherwise.

A victory for Australia would seal a semi-final spot, I think, maybe not mathematically but based on the likely results in the remaining fixtures. Also important as the Aussies have a potentially challenging run-in after this with England, NZ and SAF to come. For Bangladesh it feels like they need one scalp at least from the supposed top four, plus doing the business against Afghanistan and Pakistan to be in with a shout.

Australia appear likely to rotate the team again, which Justin Langer states he feels is appropriate and sensible. I think Bangladesh are great and are progressing massively as a side, but I think the Australians have just too much firepower with bat and ball, and of course are very sharp fielders. I’m giving this one to Australia.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Australia coasting towards victory.

If England win tomorrow and India do the business on Saturday, that should be the semi finalists pretty much sorted. I’ll be shocked if that is not the lineup as those 4 just look too strong for the other 6 teams.

Australia looking very good indeed.

So, definitely Australia’s best performance at bat yet, the strike rates all looking very healthy and Warner showing he is back.

I’m not sure what the mood between Khuwaja and Maxwell will be like after the former left the latter stranded and run out after a blistering start by GM. I’m not a Khuwaja fan at the best of times and he has faced lots of criticism for his weight and ponderousness, which chimed with Maxwell’s dismissal. Still, in UK’s favour, 89 from 72 is a good effort and one he definitely needed.

Hard going in the field for the Bangladesh team, everyone struggled, but Soumya can look back on some big wickets.

I thought Bangladesh made a decent fist of replying to what was a hard ask. Decent strike rates again and some good innings posted. I thought a telling moment was the over when Mitchell Starc took out Tamim IIRC, who had been motoring along nicely, with the first ball of his over. Second ball he absolutely clattered Liton Das in the helmet.

Starc has been bowling very well this tourney, repeatedly getting into the nineties and posing all sorts of problems for batsmen.

Friday brings England against Sri Lanka at Headingley. Weather looks good so we should see a full day’s play.

Victory here would pretty much guarantee England’s place in the semis though I think they are clearly going to be there already.

Sri Lanka I think still could posit an outside chance but it would involve some unlikely results, I will have to check the table!

For England, Vince looks likely to stay in place of Roy for this game. Any odds on him making a masterful score into the twenties, including a couple of sumptuous cover drives, then got out due to a failure of technique?

That’s admittedly harsh and I wouldn’t mind him getting a decent knock, he is a classy batsmen when he is good.

For SRL, more speculation about changes in the batting order which are never healthy ahead of a game. It’s not been a great tournament for them so far but they do have some very good players in that team. They would have to combine and produce their best performances to beat England, probably along with some drastic collapse in the English team.

Can’t see it. So much depth in batting, a potent pace attack and decent spin, and good fielding makes it an England win for me.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 21-06-2019 at 12:58 AM.

England strangling the life out of Sri Lanka so far, 133-4 in the 30th over.

133-5

Sri Lanka bowling really well here, at least they're making a fist of it. Another couple of quick wickets could make things interesting. Eng 90-3 in the 25th over.