hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Vince out, England 0-1

2. Log in to remove the advert

What a mess! 30-3.

And it gets worse, 53-4.
    Australia look like tournament winners to me whilst England look like a team lacking confidence.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

England pumped, they'll struggle to qualify now.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I have been saying for a while now but the Australians are looking very very good. England once again flattering to deceive. Bated poorly and instead of still going for it and throwing the bat about after loosing early wickets they should have steadied the ship for a few overs. Poor stuff from them, will need to win v NZ and India now and that is a very tough ask

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    An entertaining game today I thought.

Despite the result I thought England were right to bowl first but I also accept Australia weren’t unhappy to lose the toss. On such intricacies is cricket made.

Australia posted a reasonable total but one that England would have fancied matching, though they have recently acquired the knack of losing run chases, which had been their forte.

Finch has had a marvellous tournament so far and been the keystone for Australian success. I’m sure Warner has appreciated that, and Smith too, as it has relieved the necessity for them to provide the fireworks, as they assimilate themselves back into international cricket.

That notwithstanding, Maxwell, Carey and Smith all posted impressive strike rates - in ODI it’s not necessarily about the number of runs, it’s about the speed of runs.

As for England’s batting I think the fielding needs equal acknowledgement to the bowling. Khawaja and Cummins both showed up and contributed to key dismissals. Maxwell offloading to Finch was balletic, were it not for the case that we know Australia practice those sort of hand-offs all the time. It still takes skill however and Maxwell is sublime, as was shown a few years back with his viral catch, juggle, throw-in before he crossed the line, crossed the line, came back in and took a fair catch.

As for the bowling, a tactical master stroke in bringing in Jason Behrendorff who ended up with a five-for, England struggled to make sense of him. I’m sure on another thread somebody, sorry I can’t remember, who had seen him play a bit in Aus was talking him up - you were right!

At the same time, Mitchell Starc was sublime. Again, he is producing it at a CWC and again just by doing what he does, more often than not a very disciplined yorker. He took key wickets in this game, Stokes especially with a beaut.

Overall, I think there was something to be said for Australia pitching a bit fuller when they bowled, England got caught out by bowling too short, especially to the opening pair.

Moving on, still doubts about Jason Roy’s fitness, and new doubts about Stokes and Archer. That doesn’t bode well for a tough run-in against India and NZ.

I’m at Sri Lanka against South Africa on Friday. At the start of the tournament I expected this to be SAF seeking to confirm their place in the top four. Now it could be SRL pushing themselves into the semis.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 26-06-2019 at 12:09 AM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Wednesday brings New Zealand against Pakistan at Edgbaston.

Every stat suggests it should be NZ, they are playing well.

Possibility of a bit of mugginess in the weather tomorrow though and Pakistan need a win to make their unlikely top four bid a possibility let alone a reality.

Going out on a limb and I’m backing Pakistan.

If nothing else it keeps the drama going for the last couple of rounds of games. The format attracted some criticism before the start but I think, on the whole, it has been great.

I also think it is improving - it is a bit like the first round of the football World Cup where suddenly the final group games become massively intense. I think the coming days will produce some belters.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by LALthehibeeGAL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are going to the game on 1st July between WIndies -v- Sri Lanka - I was hoping by that time it would be big game decider on which of these two may sneak a top four slot but alas the WIndies have been poor so far Gayle out for a duck today !!! I love him but he is hot and cold - really hope the game goes ahead as this will no doubt be Gayle;s last time playing for his national team. Was hoping it was a game with something both teams have to play for but might end up being a bit of a nothing game!! ATM the top three seem pretty much as is and I think is unlikely to change but fourth place I think by the end of this week will no doubt be clearer.

Lal
    Could be a bit of drama for this game yet. SRL need the win on Friday first, against South Africa.

NZ 38-3, England could do without this.

46-4

209-5 after 47 overs, decent comeback, could be an interesting chase if NZ can get to 240-250.

237-6, Pakistan should win, could be quite close though.

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Could be a bit of drama for this game yet. SRL need the win on Friday first, against South Africa.
    yes here's hoping makes it interesting then

fingers crossed

any other fellow netters going to WI v SL game? or any others

cheers
    Lal

fingers crossed

cheers
    Lal
    Me and Ms Mibbes will be there, long weekend taking in the SAF-SRL game on the Friday. Would have liked to have done more, especially now in hindsight, but we are at two of the Ashes Tests and something had to give.

If SRL get a result against SAF and if the weather is good on the 1st it should be a cracker of a day.

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar
    Me and Ms Mibbes will be there, long weekend taking in the SAF-SRL game on the Friday. Would have liked to have done more, especially now in hindsight, but we are at two of the Ashes Tests and something had to give.

If SRL get a result against SAF and if the weather is good on the 1st it should be a cracker of a day.
    Yes it should be here's hoping SL get a good result making it a game to play for on the 1st - by all accounts they should beat SAF but there has been a few surprises en route - Me and Mr Lal only there for the two nights head down Sun back Tues due to work commitments but still a break is a break hope it's nice weather last couple of attempts at going to an ODI have been rained off!.

Cheers
    Lal

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

fingers crossed

cheers
    Lal

Going to the India vs England game. Leaving Saturday afternoon with the Mrs. She ain’t a cricket fan, so is just going to spend the day at the Bullring shopping centre whilst I cheer on India at Edgbaston!!

Cannot wait!

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!! 🇮🇳
    Last edited by hfc rd; 26-06-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Pak 183-3 with 10.1 overs to go, strolling towards the win.

Stunning result for Pakistan and the fight for fourth is very much open!

Thursday brings us Windies against India. Hard to see past India cementing their bid to finish top of the group.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    India do the business yet again and we are the only unbeaten side left in the World Cup! 😁

The thing that pleases me the most is that not only, as history tells you, that we are very good at batting but we are a very dangerous fielding side as well now. This is something that hasn’t been the case for some time as we have always been renowned for being a good batting team but our fielding at times in the past has really let us down. We’ve got some proper strength in depth in that department and for me some of the best fielders in the World.

I’m off to the game against England this weekend and it’s going to be a real proper party atmosphere as all India cricket games are! Chance to officially cement our place in the semi finals and really pile the pressure on England! 😁

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!!! 🇮🇳 ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    India do the business yet again and we are the only unbeaten side left in the World Cup! ��

The thing that pleases me the most is that not only, as history tells you, that we are very good at batting but we are a very dangerous fielding side as well now. This is something that hasn’t been the case for some time as we have always been renowned for being a good batting team but our fielding at times in the past has really let us down. We’ve got some proper strength in depth in that department and for me some of the best fielders in the World.

I’m off to the game against England this weekend and it’s going to be a real proper party atmosphere as all India cricket games are! Chance to officially cement our place in the semi finals and really pile the pressure on England! ��

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!!! ���� ❤️
    A very comfortable victory for India today. Bumrah was outstanding and Shami too, snagging the key wickets of Gayle, Hope and Hetmyer.

For the Windies I was pleased to see Kemar Roach have success bowling. He was an injury doubt for this tournament having had to carry a massive load in the Test series against England. He really comes across as someone who just loves the fact he is playing international cricket.

One of the striking things in the game for me was the number of overturned umpire decisions, I think I counted three at least? That’s quite high, and while at least one was very difficult to call, at least one other looked pretty clear cut.

As for the fielding, I agree, I think India have sharpened up. I don’t think they are quite as fine-tuned as Australia, but the Aussies really have taken it to a whole new level.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 28-06-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Friday brings us Sri Lanka against South Africa at Chester-le-Street. I’m down in Newcastle for a long weekend to attend this game and the Windies against Sri Lanka on Monday. Looking forward to both, at one stage they were looking like dead rubbers but England’s woes mean that the Sri Lankans are right in it. Those abandoned games could have been won but equally could have been lost, so I think two points from them would have been happily taken at the start of the tournament.

South Africa are out, that’s not going to change. Even with the absence of Steyn, they still have a formidable attack with Rabada, Ngidi and the impossibly youthful Tahir. The batting has been dismal though. It feels like it has to click at some point - there are three or four top-class batsmen in there.

Contrarily, Sri Lanka have the batters and in the veteran Malinga, they also have a pace bowler with the ability to break through the defences of accomplished batsmen. I’m looking forward to seeing the all-rounder Thisara Perera. He can blow hot and cold but when he blows hot he is scintillating.

While I think SAF are pound-for-pound a stronger team, Sri Lanka need a win here to push for top four. They also have received permission from ICC to wear their ‘lucky’ yellow jerseys.

On that basis, I’m going for Sri Lanka as a win for them keeps the pot boiling in the race for a semi-final place.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 28-06-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Friday brings us Sri Lanka against South Africa at Chester-le-Street. I’m down in Newcastle for a long weekend to attend this game and the Windies against Sri Lanka on Monday. Looking forward to both, at one stage they were looking like dead rubbers but England’s woes mean that the Sri Lankans are right in it. Those abandoned games could have been won but equally could have been lost, so I think two points from them would have been happily taken at the start of the tournament.

South Africa are out, that’s not going to change. Even with the absence of Steyn, they still have a formidable attack with Rabada, Ngidi and the impossibly youthful Tahir. The batting has been dismal though. It feels like it has to click at some point - there are three or four top-class batsmen in there.

Contrarily, Sri Lanka have the batters and in the veteran Malinga, they also have a pace bowler with the ability to break through the defences of accomplished batsmen. I’m looking forward to seeing the all-rounder Thisara Perera. He can blow hot and cold but when he blows hot he is scintillating.

While I think SAF are pound-for-pound a stronger team, Sri Lanka need a win here to push for top four. They also have received permission from ICC to wear their ‘lucky’ yellow jerseys.

On that basis, I’m going for Sri Lanka as a win for them keeps the pot boiling in the race for a semi-final place.
    I think you're right. Enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I think you're right. Enjoy the game!
    Cheers. Gorgeous day here in Chester-le-Street, near enough a sell out, reckon it will be as the day goes on.

Sri Lanka coping with the SAF bowling to an extent but find themselves at 72-3. I reckon they still have it in them to accelerate and then it is all about how SAF stand up to Malinga et al

EDIT 83-3 and not good to have lost three wickets but the run rate is looking healthy
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 28-06-2019 at 10:51 AM.

SAF really strangling SRL at the moment with some very tight bowling. The boundaries aren’t long here but it feels like a bowling wicket, hot, dry and a fluctuating breeze.

Absolutely bizarre moment towards the end of the SRL innings where everyone on the field just layed down flat, including the umpires. Crowd didn’t have a clue what was going on, my initial thought was it was maybe some serious commemoration for something.

Turned out it was a random bee swarm.......

Well, so much for our cricket forecasting.

The real SA show up much too late.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Well, so much for our cricket forecasting.

The real SA show up much too late.
    Much like football, cricket is a totally different experience live, as opposed to TV or radio. This was my first game live in a year and I had forgotten the difference. A very different perspective.

South Africa fielded verociously and bowled very tight lines. It was a pleasure to watch Rabada. He has ten to fifteen years ahead of him, hopefully he steers clear of injury, but he can and will be one of the best pace bowlers in the world.

Sri Lanka were very disappointing. For a team chasing a top four place they looked disinterested.

I thought they would take the opportunity they had and push on and I thought SAF wouldn’t surmount their own huge flaws.

Called it wrong though, and SAF came good against a SRL team who weren’t strong enough.

Absolutely bizarre moment towards the end of the SRL innings where everyone on the field just layed down flat, including the umpires. Crowd didn’t have a clue what was going on, my initial thought was it was maybe some serious commemoration for something.

Turned out it was a random bee swarm.......
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/cricket/48802347

:-0

Saturday brings us Pakistan against Afghanistan at Headingley, followed by the Trans-Tasman derby with New Zealand against Australia at Lord’s.

There will be a healthy tension in both games. Pakistan played a large part in developing cricket in Afghanistan but was usurperd by India in recent times and there is some resentment.

Pakistan need the victory to maintain interest in the tournament you would think and there is the possibility that they could meet India in the semis at Old Trafford, should they finish fourth and the Indians top the group. That would be an incredible game.

I am going to back Pakistan for this one.

At Lord’s, two teams with form in this tournament though NZ have maybe tailed off a little as they came into a harder run of games. Question marks over Munro at the top, but the middle order has looked good.

Australia very strong at the top and with their bowling but the middle order is where the questions are being asked. I predict a big innings from Glenn Maxwell soon. His strike rate is through the roof but he hasn’t been hanging around long enough.

I am going to back Australia for this one.

Knife edge at Headingley as Afghanistan pile on the pressure. I have loved watching them this tournament but a big part of me wants to see Pakistan push England for the fourth spot. It would be churlish to deny the Afghans a victory though.

At Lord’s Australia were in all sorts of bother before a solid stand from Carey and Khawaja steadied the ship. Great cameo from Paddy Cummins to pile on the runs too and set a defensible target.

Lots in the pitch for the Australian quicks and for Lyon and even Smith. Game on!