hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Cricket World Cup 2019!!!!!

In amongst all the Brexit and Euro election shenanigans, it’s worth noting that by this time next week England and South Africa will have completed the first match of the CWC 2019 at The Oval.

Great opening game, with two solid teams. Viral Kohli was commenting today that he thinks games might be quite tight as the first round progresses but I fully expect England to go all out for a signature victory to set the tone.

Their challenge will be a very high-performing SAF bowling unit with strength at bat as well. Should be a cracker.

As for the tournament itself, clearly England, South Africa, India and Australia are the favourites for the semifinals. I expect Pakistan to disrupt things by showing up against one of the top four but not necessarily dominating the second-tier teams. New Zealand seem to be the solid outsider bet, good individual players permeating the team and a good team spirit. I’ve grown to really like the Windies over the last couple of years, they have some outstanding young talent. And Afghanistan will pull out a surprise or two, I suspect. They play with a lot of passion and no small amount of skill.

So, overall, I think the winner will be England or Australia. A lot depends for Australia on th form of Smith and Warner and how they integrate into the side. If it works they have th batting and bowling to compete. I noticed England have a tricky conclusion to the group stage - after SAF they play the lower-rated teams and finish off with Australia, India and NZ. Could end up being interesting!

I would love to hear anyone else’s predictions for the winners or semifinalists and look forward to what should be a great tournament and hopefully some great commentary on here.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

England are a bit like cricket's version of Brazil 82. Tons of flair but vulnerable at the same time. Were this a league format I'd probably back them to win, certainly in home conditions. But a one off Paolo Rossi might show up and that'll be that.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve got a feeling Australia might struggle. They’ve not really performed well in England for a while and they could possibly face some pretty hostile crowds due to Smith and Warner being back in the side. New Zealand or the Windies could make it to the semis.

United we stand here....

Pakistan currently getting a real going over by Afghanistan’s top order. Chasing 263 they’re 78 without loss after 10 overs.

United we stand here....

Afghanistan got there in the end with a couple of balls to spare, they’ll give a few teams a good game in the World Cup.

United we stand here....

Off and running! Eng v SA today.

I presume this is just on Sky, will there be cooncil telly highlights?

Drama!

Bairstow out to his first delivery. Eng 1/1 after 2 balls. That wasn't in the script.

Answering my own question - Channel 4 tonight at 11pm.

Was just about to post about England cruising along when Roy and Root get out in successive overs. Eng 111/3 after 19.

SA just about containing England - 236/4 with 10 overs left. Stokes in. Buttler not really got going yet.

Buttler out for 18 which feels significant. I think this might be a close finish. 260/6 with 6 overs left.

285/7 now. Woakes gone.

United we stand here....

England finish 311/8. Not sure if that will be enough, England are far better chasing.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    England are a bit like cricket's version of Brazil 82. Tons of flair but vulnerable at the same time. Were this a league format I'd probably back them to win, certainly in home conditions. But a one off Paolo Rossi might show up and that'll be that.
    Is it right it is league format then a semi final seems to be too few knockout games IMO. No doubt wanting the top teams to get to later stages and rule out chance of one off shocks.

Rashid bowls de Kock - no he doesn't as the bails don't come off!

That was an outrageous catch by Stokes.

All over South Africa all out for 207 with 10 overs to spare. Great start for England.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That was an outrageous catch by Stokes.
    Who also top scored with 89 and took 2 wickets in less than 3 overs. So motm selection should be easy.

Archer very impressive as well, justifying his selection, 3/27 in 7 overs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Who also top scored with 89 and took 2 wickets in less than 3 overs. So motm selection should be easy.

Archer very impressive as well, justifying his selection, 3/27 in 7 overs.
    He was very impressive. The ball was travelling through to the wicketkeeper at a fine pace on a pitch that wasn’t conducive to fast bowling. His use of the slower ball and the Yorker in the latter part of the game showed his versatility, he more than justified his selection.

United we stand here....

Said in the OP that England would go for it all guns blazing and they didn’t disappoint.

Only two out of ten English batsmen had strike rates below 86 and five exceeded 100.

Of the bowlers, all but one had economy rates which England would always fancy as a means of chasing down or defending a total and half of them returning decent strike rates too.

Some decent stuff for SAF to take from the game though. De Kock was god while he was in and Ngidi bowled well. They will bounce back I’m sure.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Said in the OP that England would go for it all guns blazing and they didn’t disappoint.

Only two out of ten English batsmen had strike rates below 86 and five exceeded 100.

Of the bowlers, all but one had economy rates which England would always fancy as a means of chasing down or defending a total and half of them returning decent strike rates too.

Some decent stuff for SAF to take from the game though. De Kock was god while he was in and Ngidi bowled well. They will bounce back I’m sure.
    South Africa have an imbalance in their squad that will limit their chances. They don’t have enough all rounders, so they have to make a choice between batsmen and bowlers. English bowlers for example can mostly still be competitive with the bat. If England lose a few early wickets, they still have the luxury of pushing in with their innings. I did like the way South Africa bowled today and they probably won’t come up against a team as good as England again in this tournament.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Is it right it is league format then a semi final seems to be too few knockout games IMO. No doubt wanting the top teams to get to later stages and rule out chance of one off shocks.
    It’s more about making sure the top teams play lots of games for advertising and tv revenue, rather than getting through. They tried a 4 groups of 4 World Cup in 2007 but Pakistan and India got knocked out first round (playing only 3 games each) so every one since has been smaller with large group stages. 2011 and 2015 were 14 teams with 2 groups of 7.

Tasty game for Friday with the Windies playing Pakistan at Trent Bridge.

Its very likely to be a batting surface which to an extent nullifies the threat of the various Windie quickies. However with the likes of Gayle, Hetmyer and Hope et al, they are more than capable of piling on the runs at bat.

Pakistan - when they are good they are often awesome, when they are not so good they are often dire. It is never easy to predict which Pakistani team will turn up and it does feel a little like there is more fluctuation to come in selection, whereas the Windies have or are introducing a fairly-established cohort of new talent, to complete the players in the middle to older bracket.

And of course a swan song at these finals for the Universe Boss, Chris Gayle. I’m expecting to see some mammoth hits over the boundary rope and him ignoring the potential threes or twos and maybe only taking a lumbering stroll for the ones. He’s a big laddy but can pick the ball and strike it and doesn’t really want to rotate the strike when he knows that every few balls he can spot the shot and clobber it out the park.

I’m going for a Windies victory though I think Pakistan will show up.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 31-05-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    It’s more about making sure the top teams play lots of games for advertising and tv revenue, rather than getting through. They tried a 4 groups of 4 World Cup in 2007 but Pakistan and India got knocked out first round (playing only 3 games each) so every one since has been smaller with large group stages. 2011 and 2015 were 14 teams with 2 groups of 7.
    I haven’t looked at how the revenues are getting shared out, but even if it is on a staggered basis based on final placing, every cricket board with a team featuring will know that India getting to the final especially must surely mean the biggest possible payday. India v England must probably be the biggest and there’s is a real potential for England to build on previous feelgood factors such as the Ashes wins in recent years and even Southgate in the World Cup to really boost their support.

I haven’t looked at how the revenues are getting shared out, but even if it is on a staggered basis based on final placing, every cricket board with a team featuring will know that India getting to the final especially must surely mean the biggest possible payday. India v England must probably be the biggest and there’s is a real potential for England to build on previous feelgood factors such as the Ashes wins in recent years and even Southgate in the World Cup to really boost their support.
    Are you saying that an England v India final is somewhat inevitable?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Are you saying that an England v India final is somewhat inevitable?
    No, I wouldn’t dare

But it is set up as 1v4 and 2v3.

I think England or India will top the league and face either SAF or the wildcard which would be NZ or at a big but lovely push, the Windies. Which means Eng or Ind face Aus in the 2v3.

The disruptor is Aus finishing top, which likely means Eng v Ind in the other semi. Interesting.

No, I wouldn’t dare

But it is set up as 1v4 and 2v3.

I think England or India will top the league and face either SAF or the wildcard which would be NZ or at a big but lovely push, the Windies. Which means Eng or Ind face Aus in the 2v3.

The disruptor is Aus finishing top, which likely means Eng v Ind in the other semi. Interesting.
    You’ve been correct so far, but I still think Australia might struggle. I can definitely see New Zealand or the windies pushing for a semi final place. The windies in particular have a very potent attack.

United we stand here....

I saw a brief snippet on (I think) the Beeb the other day saying the India v Pakistan game could've sold out 8 times over!

Actually, this suggests 16 times ...

ICC World Cup tournament director Steve Elworthy, during a promotional event in London, said that demand for tickets for the Indo-Pak group league clash is way more than Australia vs England game or the final at the Lord’s.

“That particular game (India vs Pakistan), we had over 400,000 applications for tickets, which is an incredible number. The stadium (Old Tarfford) only holds 25,000 people. So there are a number of disappointed people. That’s just locally, but (there is also) the audience globally,” Elworthy was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.

In fact, the former South African pacer then provided the numbers which is an indicative that how much the match means for world cricket’s governing body.

“To put that (number) in perspective, England vs Australia was around 230-240,000. And the final was around about 260-270,000 applications for tickets. So that gives you a bit of perspective for the demand for this match (India v Pakistan). It’s a big game. They could end up playing each other in the final (too), you never know.”

The Windies are ripping through the Pakistan top order. 62/4

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The Windies are ripping through the Pakistan top order. 62/4
    All out for 105. Oh dear.

Chris Gayle knocking them off at pace!