hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: How did you vote? (anonymous)

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Change UK

    0 0%
  • Conservatives

    2 2.02%
  • Greens

    18 18.18%
  • Independent

    0 0%
  • Labour

    3 3.03%
  • Liberal Democrats

    7 7.07%
  • SNP

    60 60.61%
  • The Brexit Party

    9 9.09%
  • UKIP

    0 0%
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 986
  1. #331
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I added this.

    One month I might need to convert 600 new Scottish pounds to pay my £500 sterling mortgage, the next month due to exchange rates I might need to convert 700 new Scottish pounds to pay my still £500 mortgage. But I have had to find an extra 100 new Scottish pounds to pay exactly the same amount.

    That's the risk.

    If you or others can't see it then that's fine.
    And you might have to transfer £400 to pay your £500 Sterling mortgage. The risk is understood, but I was asking for some real world examples from countries that have gone independent rather than the hypothetical figures weíre throwing around.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you might have to transfer £400 to pay your £500 Sterling mortgage. The risk is understood, but I was asking for some real world examples from countries that have gone independent rather than the hypothetical figures weíre throwing around.
    I don't know of any other countries in a similar situation. I am not talking about setting up a new currency, I mean countries where individuals and businesses have one currency but are either paid in or have to pay their ingoings and outgoings in another currency.

    Slovakia set up a new currency, but as far as I know they never had their mortgages or pensions paid in the currency of Slovenia or any other countries currency for example.

    Again its not about the physical act of setting up a currency. Have a read of the article I linked to. It has a lot of good factual information.
    Last edited by James310; 25-05-2019 at 02:25 PM.

  4. #333
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    14,083
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know of any other countries in a similar situation. I am not talking about setting up a new currency, I mean countries where individuals and businesses have one currency but are either paid in or have to pay their ingoings and outgoings in another currency.

    Slovakia set up a new currency, but as far as I know they never had their mortgages or pensions paid in the currency of Slovenia or any other countries currency for example.

    Again its not about the physical act of setting up a currency. Have a read of the article I linked to. It has a lot of good factual information.
    Simple answer to your obvious mortgage dilemma is to remortgage your home with the inversneckie building society. Problem solved.

    Thanks ****, now we can get back to the day job.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  5. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simple answer to your obvious mortgage dilemma is to remortgage your home with the inversneckie building society. Problem solved.

    Thanks ****, now we can get back to the day job.
    Your still not really understanding it are you. Even a remortgage will require an exchange of one currency to another. I am not explaining the implications of that again for the 1000th time. You can't seem to accept whenever you go from one currency to the another it involves some risk.

    Happy to shelf this topic for a while now though as I am sure everyone else will. It will be a big issue though, and let's not pretend otherwise.

  6. #335
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your argument does not stack up when you consider there was a general election and the two main parties had it on their manifesto that they would honor the referendum result.

    Furthermore democracy can only work when the initial referendum result is respected and then implemented. Once that decision has been give a chance to run, then yes after a period of time (one in a lifetime or just whenever the loosing side decides) a new vote can take place to rejoin. However if the first referendum result is never respected and never implemented then how can that be considered to be democratic? It's not no matter how much you wish it to be so.

    Just be honest, you want the result overturned, you don't care that leave won the referendum, you just want to remain and no matter how that is achieved, even if that means risking the integrity of future democratic votes.

    All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for because if this result is overturned without ever being implemented then for sure it will happen again and again and again... then what?

    Reap what you sow.
    People voted in an advisory referendum for the things that were being promised by the leave campaign before the referendum. That includes things like the easiest trade deals in history, an extra £350m a week for the NHS etc etc. That referendum was an instruction to the politicians to crack on and attempt to deliver on those promises. If the Brexit that they actually end up in a position to deliver is fundamentally different from that then it is in fact doing the polar opposite of honouring the result of the referendum.

    They should be going back to the people and saying sorry, we tried to do the things we promised, we've not been wholly successful, but do you still want this version.

    Your comment about the result being respected and implemented is completely moot because there is nothing on the table just now that is even remotely close to what was being promised to leave voters before the referendum. So that horse has already bolted.

  7. #336
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    14,083
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your still not really understanding it are you. Even a remortgage will require an exchange of one currency to another. I am not explaining the implications of that again for the 1000th time. You can't seem to accept whenever you go from one currency to the another it involves some risk.

    Happy to shelf this topic for a while now though as I am sure everyone else will. It will be a big issue though, and let's not pretend otherwise.
    But remortgage with a Scottish Bank removed the need to exchange your money. Jeez how difficult do you have to make it.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  8. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But remortgage with a Scottish Bank removed the need to exchange your money. Jeez how difficult do you have to make it.
    😂

    I give up.

  9. #338
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you might have to transfer £400 to pay your £500 Sterling mortgage. The risk is understood, but I was asking for some real world examples from countries that have gone independent rather than the hypothetical figures weíre throwing around.
    The perfect example of a currency coming unstuck from a peg was Thailand which unleashed the Asian financial crisis.

    In that crisis you see many examples of what happens when a currency canít support a peg, when liabilities are valued in another currency and the impacts on economic growth, debt levels and inflation.

  10. #339
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😂

    I give up.
    Good. Maybe this thread can get back on track. Feel free to start another thread on currency exchange, and sees how far it goes. 😳


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  11. #340
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good. Maybe this thread can get back on track. Feel free to start another thread on currency exchange, and sees how far it goes. 😳
    Not far based on the complete lack of understanding on here, that is clear to see.

  12. #341
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not far based on the complete lack of understanding on here, that is clear to see.
    Well, you did say you're not an expert 😃, but you can still give it a go and see how you get on. Never know, you might learn a thing or three


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  13. #342
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just prefer people to discuss issues directly without heading of at a tangent and weaponising their larger vocabulary to the point where I lose the will to live. Iím new to this board but can already see a pattern in the way most threads go. Itís not really the discussion I thought it would be.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, if itís too challenging then sit out.

    But you are more than smart enough to not do that, put your view across! And have it challenged. And shape the debate.

    But if you donít like the challenges it isnít anybody elseís fault. Neither is it vocabulary or linguistics, and saying you lose the will to live is pretty weak and craven.

    If your view is challenged it is okay! Do you think my view goes unchallenged on here?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  14. #343
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,489
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I added this.

    One month I might need to convert 600 new Scottish pounds to pay my £500 sterling mortgage, the next month due to exchange rates I might need to convert 700 new Scottish pounds to pay my still £500 mortgage. But I have had to find an extra 100 new Scottish pounds to pay exactly the same amount.

    That's the risk.

    If you or others can't see it then that's fine.
    You are describing a variable rate mortgage. Something lots of people currently have.

    J

  15. #344
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are describing a variable rate mortgage. Something lots of people currently have.

    J
    Yes, everyone on a variable rate mortgage exchanges currency every month to pay their mortgage. Do you?

    Really?!

    It frustrating the total lack of understanding, but not surprising. Lots of people have variable rate mortgages, lots of people today don't have to exchange currencies to pay them.

    I really struggle to see why people find this so hard to understand.
    Last edited by James310; 25-05-2019 at 09:43 PM.

  16. #345
    What the **** has any of this got to do with the EU elections?

  17. #346
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, everyone on a variable rate mortgage exchanges currency every month to pay their mortgage. Do you?

    Really?!

    It frustrating the total lack of understanding, but not surprising. Lots of people have variable rate mortgages, lots of people today don't have to exchange currencies to pay them.

    I really struggle to see why people find this so hard to understand.
    You've already said you're not an expert in financial dealings. I'm sure someone will help you understand what your missing.

    Best to start another thread, and someone will help you out.

    Meanwhile... 2+2=?


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  18. #347
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What the **** has any of this got to do with the EU elections?
    Nothing. James, John, and Janet have taken it on a currency tangent.

    It's what they do.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  19. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing. James, John, and Janet have taken it on a currency tangent.

    It's what they do.
    As much as email storage and megabytes and gigabytes.

    But food banks and flags and marches and stuff.

  20. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've already said you're not an expert in financial dealings. I'm sure someone will help you understand what your missing.

    Best to start another thread, and someone will help you out.

    Meanwhile... 2+2=?
    In your world 5. You could get Derek MacKays job.

    At least I have a view, your to coward to tell us yours.

    Goodnight.
    Last edited by James310; 25-05-2019 at 10:09 PM.

  21. #350
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as email storage and megabytes and gigabytes.

    But food banks and flags and marches and stuff.
    Nice to see you've agreed you've taken the thread on a tangent. 🎯


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  22. #351
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In your world 5. You could get Derek MacKays job.

    At least I have a view, your to coward to tell us yours.

    Goodnight.
    I've already taught you how to spell, independence. Remember?

    It's "you're" by the way.

    You're welcome. 😂

    I'll let you off with the "to".

  23. #352
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are describing a variable rate mortgage. Something lots of people currently have.

    J
    No.

    You are describing interest rate risk.

    The subject in the OP is exchange rate risk.

    Two very different things.

  24. #353
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.

    You are describing interest rate risk.

    The subject in the OP is exchange rate risk.

    Two very different things.

    I thought it was all about the EU referendum, and how people voted. Just shows how things can go off on a tangent eh.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  25. #354
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've already taught you how to spell, independence. Remember?

    It's "you're" by the way.

    You're welcome.

    I'll let you off with the "to".
    Er.... Actually it is "your"....

    Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

  26. #355
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Er.... Actually it is "your"....

    Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
    "Your to coward".

    It's just so wrong.

    How did "you" vote?
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 25-05-2019 at 10:51 PM.

  27. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.

    You are describing interest rate risk.

    The subject in the OP is exchange rate risk.

    Two very different things.

    Who did you vote for in the EU elections? That's the title

    If you want to go off topic, I recollect you voted for brexit.

    Are you still sanguine about the brexit process?
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 25-05-2019 at 11:56 PM.

  28. #357
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    voted Conservative purely because I oppose referendums on indy and the EU.
    Straight to the point. However, what if the current set of referendum results are hugely damaging? Surely the argument goes beyond "we're sick and tired of hearing about referendums"?

  29. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing. James, John, and Janet have taken it on a currency tangent.

    It's what they do.
    Well, can we possibly blame the SNP for it

  30. #359
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you might have to transfer £400 to pay your £500 Sterling mortgage. The risk is understood, but I was asking for some real world examples from countries that have gone independent rather than the hypothetical figures we’re throwing around.
    Wow

    The Modfather has actually progressed from knowing zero about politics due to his/her sniping against anti snp separatist posting to pretending he/she knows 'something' about simple economics.

    Well done the Modfather.

    Now if only he/she would agree with those of us who've been involved in politics for most of our lives that the snp do not have a clue how a new bawbee would impact upon a tiny country that is completely unprepared for a currency that would be worth next to nothing abroad and would have exporters shaking their heads at being offered the bawbee.

    It beggars actual belief that the poorest in our country would shame themselves into being enticed into such pied piper self harm.

    Hey ho.

  31. #360
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simple answer to your obvious mortgage dilemma is to remortgage your home with the inversneckie building society. Problem solved.

    Thanks ****, now we can get back to the day job.
    Your'e only day job is to lead the Scottish folk into poverty and despair by detaching ourselves from our nearest island neighbours England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

    A shameful day job indeed.

    Mon Labour!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved