hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A very good referee post 2012, a shame as he was actively biased or massively incompetent towards us in the last few derbies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I wish some painful ailments on him in his retirement.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He started in the Scottish Cup semi-final replay against Dunfermline. Refused a penalty for a foul on Dean Sheils then awarded the pars one seconds afterwards.

Hope he stays retired but let's face it he'll be joining Hugh Dallas "upstairs". Does he have a son?
    I hate that game, even after all this time it still sticks in my throat - remember watching it in F3K, London. We drank ourselves to oblivion at the FT whistle and I called in sick for the rest of the week.

Craig Thompson wasn't inept, incompetent or useless - he was simply a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    The report a poster published on here about his stats and record against Hibs was extremely telling

He hated us and I won’t miss him

Now take Dallas with you
    I did stats on him and he gave less cards to us than Hearts. He gave more cards to every team than any other referee. He was hated in other countries too and has a youtube video in his honor created after the Bosnia France game where he made a series of ridulous decisions, in favour of France.
    https://youtu.be/2tvewlR39Mc
    In recent times I have preferred him as the ref to others.
    Last edited by andyf5; 23-05-2019 at 05:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf5 View Post
    I did stats on him and he gave less cards to us than Hearts. He gave more cards to every team than any other referee. He was hated in other countries too and has a youtube video in his honor created after the Bosnia France game where he made a series of ridulous decisions, in favour of France.
    https://youtu.be/2tvewlR39Mc
    In recent times I have preferred him as the ref to others.
    Not surprised he gave more cards to Hearts. In case you haven't noticed they have been the dirtiest team in the league for years.

Don't get this revision of him over the last few years. Just because he didn't give made up decisions against us as often.

He cheated in a cup final. He allowed himself to be photographed doing a 5 1. He should never have been allowed to referee again.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Not surprised he gave more cards to Hearts. In case you haven't noticed they have been the dirtiest team in the league for years.

Don't get this revision of him over the last few years. Just because he didn't give made up decisions against us as often.

He cheated in a cup final. He allowed himself to be photographed doing a 5 1. He should never have been allowed to referee again.
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think he was photographed doing the 5 1. He was in a photo with some kids who were doing it. Slight, but significant difference imho.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    The very least the maroon balloons should do is fire up the ovens again and bake him one of their famous admin cakes.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think he was photographed doing the 5 1. He was in a photo with some kids who were doing it. Slight, but significant difference imho.
    He knew fine what was going on. Just like when he made the key decisions in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    He knew fine what was going on. Just like when he made the key decisions in the final.
    Exactly. Arch-Snide.

Could you imagine the uproar if Steve McLean was pictured with a group of folk holding their hands up and doing 3-2?

The Rangers would be going ballistic!

The one that always sticks in mind (other than his performance in that final) was the very early red card he gave to Steven Fletcher in a Scottish Cup derby at Easter Road. He couldn't wait to dish it out (think it was for a high boot on Berra and was IMO totally undeserved).

His performances when reffing our games since 2012 have been much more impartial but the way I see it his work had already been done!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    The one that always sticks in mind (other than his performance in that final) was the very early red card he gave to Steven Fletcher in a Scottish Cup derby at Easter Road. He couldn't wait to dish it out (think it was for a high boot on Berra and was IMO totally undeserved).

His performances when reffing our games since 2012 have been much more impartial but the way I see it his work had already been done!
    As you say, after 2012 his work was done … after that final he was reasonably 'fair' in games involving Hibs probably because he knew he would be under intense scrutiny and every dodgy decision would be highlighted. His performance in 2012 was a disgrace and so one sided that in another league the governing body would have been investigating betting patterns looking for a link.

Good riddance, hope he enjoys his Hearts hero status.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    As you say, after 2012 his work was done … after that final he was reasonably 'fair' in games involving Hibs probably because he knew he would be under intense scrutiny and every dodgy decision would be highlighted. His performance in 2012 was a disgrace and so one sided that in another league the governing body would have been investigating betting patterns looking for a link.

Good riddance, hope he enjoys his Hearts hero status.
    Sure that one of our first games after the final was away to Dundee United at Tannadice. He gave them either a very soft penalty or free kick on the edge of the box.

Even if he was "fair" after that, it was what he was paid to do and deserves no praise for doing his job properly. Never want to hear a decent word about that cheating **** ever again.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Not sure about the biased towards us, just a brutal referee most of the time, i think after 2012 some folk were just looking for excuses, with exception to the penalty that never was we were ***** and thats why we got pumped imo

That Hearts fans still have a song glorifying him after his "penalty" decision back you know when tells you everything you need to know.

A ****ing clown. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I don't think he will be missed by Hibs fans
    Holding a 12 bore shotgun ! Lol

I don't normally go for the conspiracy stuff but some of his performances prior to and including the 2012 cup final were highly suspicious.

Hand on heart, for the past few years he's probably been the most competent referee for games involving Hibs, including a certain 2-2 game at Tynecastle.

Yes, he was only doing his job, but we know all about it when they don't.

Left by mutual consent!
    When SJM’s corner came over in the last minute I was waiting for their foul. Whistle never came and the rest, we know, is history.

@hibs.net private member
    Won more trophies for Hearts than Levein

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    I hate that game, even after all this time it still sticks in my throat - remember watching it in F3K, London. We drank ourselves to oblivion at the FT whistle and I called in sick for the rest of the week.

Craig Thompson wasn't inept, incompetent or useless - he was simply a cheat.
    He also failed to send off Hammill in the first game for a two foot tackle on Lewis right in front of him. Hammill then dived for the pen in the second game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He also failed to send off Hammill in the first game for a two foot tackle on Lewis right in front of him. Hammill then dived for the pen in the second game.
    Yip, the boy is just a big sleekit jobby.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I hear what you're saying but, I've seen a lot worse webcam performances, probably says more about me than him. 🙄
    😂

Everyone in the “he’s been good since 2012” camp seem to have forgotten about the play off against Falkirk the week before the cup final.

Keatings is played in by Hendo, he’s about 7 yards from goal and ready to pull the trigger when scythed down by the Falkirk defender (probably McCracken again). Thomson gave the penalty but it was as clear a goal scoring chance as you can imagine and there was no red card. Maybe no card at all. The man is a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Everyone in the “he’s been good since 2012” camp seem to have forgotten about the play off against Falkirk the week before the cup final.

Keatings is played in by Hendo, he’s about 7 yards from goal and ready to pull the trigger when scythed down by the Falkirk defender (probably McCracken again). Thomson gave the penalty but it was as clear a goal scoring chance as you can imagine and there was no red card. Maybe no card at all. The man is a cheat.
    Just beat me to this. There is no explanation as to why McCracken was not sent off. The rules were clear at that time and it had to be a sending off yet he decided to ignore the rules which potentially cost us another season in the Championship. Good riddance.

Ps if memory serves me right there was no card and he got a yellow later on but I stand to be corrected.
    Possibly the worst decision I have seen in 52 years following Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Ps if memory serves me right there was no card and he got a yellow later on but I stand to be corrected.
    Possibly the worst decision I have seen in 52 years following Hibs.
    Worse than the handball in the first leg?

Couldn’t bring himself to point to the centre spot after Hanlon’s equaliser in the 2-2 Scottish Cup Derby. The biggest surprise that day was that he didn’t blow for an imaginary free kick as that corner came in!

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't normally go for the conspiracy stuff but some of his performances prior to and including the 2012 cup final were highly suspicious.

Hand on heart, for the past few years he's probably been the most competent referee for games involving Hibs, including a certain 2-2 game at Tynecastle.

Yes, he was only doing his job, but we know all about it when they don't.

Thomson's refereeing in the 2012 final was outrageous. As far as I'm concerned it could only be explained by a large bung from Vlad.

Vlad had been accused of trying to bribe refs in Lithuania and Thomson's more or less even handed reffing since that final suggests to me he must have had some ulterior motives for the decisions he made that day.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I don’t believe he is anywhere near as bad as made out on here, had a very decent career as a grade one referee and not the worst by far.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I keep hearing even 7 years later from Hibs fans that his actions would never have changed the outcome of the game... nonsense ..Ian black should have saw red for a forearm smash on Leigh early doors !! That changes everything
    Agreed - The Fourth Official that day, told CT that the challenge from IB was a RED, definitely a RED. For some 'reason' CT chose otherwise....